• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
My two cents: I wish ERA wouldn't allow threads like this. Demi has gone on record about how their overdose resulted in permanent brain damage, bad enough that they are no longer allowed to legally drive. Want to dunk on someone like Donald Trump, go apeshit. But mocking someone who clearly suffers from lingering mental issues isn't fun.

No one in the thread is going to agree with Demi, so there's no constructive discussion to be had here, it's all just "Wow, aren't they dumb/stupid/crazy? Hollyweird, amirite?!"

I had no idea about their brain damage. That is so awful and puts a lot of context into this. :/

I also agree with you - this thread feels a bit weird to me. Uncomfortable even.

colorblindmode

Chicken Chaser
Nov 26, 2019
South Carolina
what words? that aliens wouldn't want to be called aliens?

what's so bad about it, exactly???

explain it to me.

Is this Poe's Law? Have I fallen into some alternate reality of being so woke we transcend space and time?

to answer your question, it's almost like the word alien has multiple meanings. You know, like something different or strange. Or, you know, something too different to be acceptable.

Wouldn't that be a weird world where words had different meanings

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Is this Poe's Law? Have I fallen into some alternate reality of being so woke we transcend space and time?

to answer your question, it's almost like the word alien has multiple meanings. You know, like something different or strange. Or, you know, something too different to be acceptable.

Wouldn't that be a weird world where words had different meanings

you didnt answer my question.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
My two cents: I wish ERA wouldn't allow threads like this. Demi has gone on record about how their overdose resulted in permanent brain damage, bad enough that they are no longer allowed to legally drive. Want to dunk on someone like Donald Trump, go apeshit. But mocking someone who clearly suffers from lingering mental issues isn't fun.

No one in the thread is going to agree with Demi, so there's no constructive discussion to be had here, it's all just "Wow, aren't they dumb/stupid/crazy? Hollyweird, amirite?!"

I gotta agree here

Beefsquid

Oct 27, 2017
USA

Completely agree. I'm actually a bit shocked to see some of the comments here. Folks sounding like a boomer facebook page.

Nell

Oct 27, 2017

Thanks for saying this and I agree, a lot of horrible comments from some posters in here.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Isn't this the person who is offended by zero sugar options? Sounds insane.

Fuck this. They have brain damage. This thread only seems to exist for fuckos like you to make fun of someone with mental health issues.

Y'all are fucking gross.

You can also easily tell in this thread who has never been called an alien by a cop or border agent

cabelhigh

Nov 2, 2017
Fuck this. They have brain damage. This thread only seems to exist for fuckos like you to make fun of someone with mental health issues.

Y'all are fucking gross.

You can also easily tell in this thread who has never been called an alien by a cop or border agent

100%. The poster who was like 'hell, everyone on this forum is an alien to me, its no big deal!!' showed their whole entire ass

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
Came into this thread ready to dunk on what I thought was yet another self-important celebrity having weird takes, didn't know about their actual brain damage so instead I end up questioning why the thread is still up and why the mods notes are just about their gender.

For the record, I'm not a native English speaker, but I'd keep the "alien" terminology for actual aliens and remove it for human beings. Also wouldn't mind switching to "extraterrestrial" or ETs, heck that's how we refer to it in french mostly. At least where I'm from. "Extraterrestres"

game-biz

Oct 25, 2017
LMAO

As if the aliens would give a fuck.

Also, yeah, it's clearly a joke. Demi is just having fun here.

Bionic

Oct 27, 2017
Why do posts in this thread sound like KotakuInAction bullshit, lamenting how far PC culture has gone that we can't even say "alien" anymore, and calling people "insane" for saying an opinion about language while misgendering then in the same breath?

OP: you couldn't spell Demi's name correctly, get their pronouns right, or show even a basic respect for another human being by not referring to them as insane for the crime of…saying a goofy thing related to a show their job is to promote. What makes you any sort of authority on language and what's acceptable or not?

cabelhigh

Nov 2, 2017
Gotta love the threads on here where the thin vaneer of progressiveness that this forum likes to champion itself on drops away and it becomes crystal clear that the demographics and lived experiences of those on here are overwhelming that of straight white neurotypical men

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017

Agreed. I have tremendous sympathy for Demi because they are just trying to get their life back together as a current/former drug addict, and they're lucky to have survived their overdose. I don't necessarily care or agree about mislabeling extraterrestrial beings until we find them and know what they are, but I don't think Demi is stupid or insane just because of this interview slice. Demi is a great, sweet person it seems like. As far as celebrities go, they've never hurt anyone except themselves, they deserve public support, not public ridicule.

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
User banned (1 month): antagonizing other users across multiple threads, prior bans for the similar behavior
Weird that the OP hasn't updated/edited any misgendering or even asked for a thread closure at this point, but I guess they are too busy defending the Iraq War to notice lol. However this did give me a chuckle:

Cab8BGo.png

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017

Hmm, good point. I don't follow Demi's ups and downs, and I've always liked Demi as an artist. But basically the only time they pop up for me these days is when Demi says something like the fairly offensive takes about food labelling, or if not offensive then just very ignorant, and then this.

At the same time Demi is given a tv show/streaming show hunting for ET and they have that show because of a proclivity to say silly stuff with real conviction. If Demi was only having measured, boring takes on outer space, they wouldnt have that show because it'd be about as boring as me having a show about aliens.

While there's something paparazzi-esque or exploitative about threads that dunk on silly/dumb things celebrities say, it's part of this profit industry around celebrities doing and saying dumb things, going back to shows like Jessica Simpson's show or even (tying it back to Trump) the Apprentice. Celebrities are put into these positions because someone is making money exploiting them for profit, and then hoping that these takes become viral. Whoever produces the shows cashes their check, gives a cut to the celebrity, but the celebrity lives with the fallout of saying silly things.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Weird that the OP hasn't updated/edited any misgendering or even asked for a thread closure at this point, but I guess they are too busy defending the Iraq War to notice lol. However this did give me a chuckle:

Cab8BGo.png

OP seemingly only started this thread to shit on Demi while misgendering them and calling them insane and a number of similarly-minded users have come in to do the same freely. Not sure why this is still open but its gross.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017

Cab8BGo.png

I suspect you're confusing the first Iraq War for the second Iraq War, but either way, that post definitely speaks to the OP's sensibilities. He was responding to someone who was basically saying that it's frustrating how the Gulf War has been whitewashed. In what world is saying "killing is never justified" as frustrating as the systemic whitewashing of history?

Goddamn, name and avatar way too on point

Dec 30, 2020
I really hope humanity is ready for extra-terrestrials to arrive and refer to all Earth species as 'alien' giddily while snapping pictures with their phones.

And trying to adopt us.

"Gzzlzrp saw this panicked human on the street, and knew they had to help!" "I took the alien back to my ship and fed them a version of liquid pizza they seem to like. Their business suit was shabby, and it looked like they hadn't slept in days..."

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Considering the way this thread has gone it's being locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.