• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018

I've been mulling over this clip for some time and I still have no idea what to think

Snormy

I'll think about it
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
Official Staff Communication
Here is a reminder that Demi has come out as nonbinary and stated their gender pronoun is "they/them". Misgendering may be subject to moderation going forward.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Go search youtube for the Genesis "Illegal Alien" official music video.

THAT is fucking offensive.

The term 'alien', I can't see a problem with. I AM ONE. Every time I go to another culture. And yet I say fuck you to all these Jonathan Blows and other asshats, to be clear.

The Masked Mufti

The Wise Ones
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Lmao that's a stupid take by them. Do people not study English in schools anymore or is this some attempt to seem woke by being obtuse and one dimensional about a word.

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom
Lovato has some brain damage from an overdose that almost killed them in 2018, so I feel weird about mocking them for a fair bit of the ludicrous stuff they put out (all the reaching aliens extraterrestrials through meditation shit), but yeah, it's being monetised and signal boosted, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Similar to how I feel about all the 'Gary Busey so crazy' content.

Is there anything to suggest that Demi's quirks stem from them having brain damage? The brain is a complex organ, and damage can result in almost any kind of symptoms, both physical and mental. But Demi seems to have been more erratic in their behaviour even before 2018.

That said, they have a long history of struggling with mental health and addiction, so I'm not entirely comfortable with how they're being thrust under the spotlight for the sole purpose of being pointed and laughed at.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
They can say whatever, I'm just annoyed at the article twisting it to be "look at something else people are offended by these days, can't say anything!" bullshit.

Sick of articles like this making people with actual grievances look like nuisances because they pretend we are offended about stuff that we aren't actually offended by to get outrage and clicks.

valuv

Oct 25, 2017
I'm genuinely worried about Demi after watching that documentary shown at SXSW. Lots of opportunistic people in their life encouraging Demi to continue drinking and doing drugs, saying it's fine in moderation and that sobriety isn't for everyone. These people are willing to let Demi die but not before bleeding out as much cash as they can.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Probably would be if we actually found any yet.

But in ecology (to refer to non-native species, we are one for fuck sake in most of our range, and clearly invasive) or immigration discourse, the use of alien is indeed offensive.

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom
They can say whatever, I'm just annoyed at the article twisting it to be "look at something else people are offended by these days, can't say anything!" bullshit.

Sick of articles like this making people with actual grievances look like nuisances because they pretend we are offended about stuff that we aren't actually offended by to get outrage and clicks.

A quick Google of Demi Lovato at the moment brings up the right wing British tabloids, who have all glommed onto this, for the same reasons you mention. It's infuriating.

Last edited:

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, well, what if I want to offend those bastards, so they get angry enough to slip up and allow me to get proper, non-blurry photos of their spaceships.

POOPLE

Aug 5, 2021
The Republic of Gamers
I agree alien is offensive its very demeaning and generalizes all extraterrestrials. Go up to a Zeta Reticulan and us the the word, "alien" they will side eye you. Also don't call them draconians or god forbid Lizard people the preferred term is reptilian humanoids.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
Can someone fix the thread title please? They are called Lovato and not Lavato. For some reason that typo is driving me crazy lol.

MadMod

Dec 4, 2017
I feel like we live in a world where celebrities just try to outdo each other on who can say the craziest stuff haha.

My Tulpa

alt account
Banned
Sep 19, 2021
Well I mean, they're right.

Even way back during Twilight Zone/Star Trek Tv shows they were playing with the idea how humans would be somewhat offended and shocked to be called aliens when going to other planets with non human indigenous species.

This isn't a big statement to get worked up over

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
If we were to make contact with extraterrestrial life, 100 years of science fiction literature is going to be very awkward if they want peace and equality with us. Things like Mars attacks and Independence Day are going to look very ignorant and barbaric to them.

GeoGonzo

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Madrid, Spain
I don't agree that what they actually said is the same thing as the title of this thread or the article. In my opinion if someone finds the word "alien" is a derogatory term then it is perfectly reasonable to avoid using it in general.

Fromskap

Sep 6, 2019
Perhaps a bit more pressing thought: How about the word robot? It comes from a Czech word, robota, deriving from a word for slave and meaning "forced labor". Doubt our new AI friends would be endeared by everyone basically calling them slaves...

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
giphy.gif

lol

my grandmothers ghost is a inter-dimensional squirmisher not a ghost

Oct 27, 2017
The term "alien", as a noun, is used in an offensive way all the time in politics and government. Particularly in the USA, towards its own residents even.

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sorry, this whole thread from the op, the misgendering, the corrections, and the back and forth. Reads like an Abott and Costello skit lol

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
In theory that's true. But until they can tell us what they'd like to be called we can't respect their wishes.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
People are joking but everyone knows xenophobia will be very severe as soon as aliens talk to us

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The same stupid Demi that found it offensive that some place wasn't selling enough sugar-filled yogurt and then went on to trash their business online using celebrity status as a weapon? Yeah fuck off. That apology was even more embarrassing and came off as completely fake.

The Masked Mufti

The Wise Ones
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
The same stupid Demi that found it offensive that some place wasn't selling enough sugar-filled yogurt and then went on to trash their business online using celebrity status as a weapon? Yeah fuck off. That apology was even more embarrassing and came off as completely fake.
If only. They were outraged that they had to walk past the sugar-free section before they got to the sugar one. Apparently that promoted unhealthy dieting.

One poster pointed out that she's struggled with mental health issues so I wonder if that is behind these weird takes.
The term "alien", as a noun, is used in an offensive way all the time in politics and government. Particularly in the USA, towards its own residents even.
Exactly, and for the rest of us (or the UK at least) that's not the case which makes their take seem even dumber. It's extremely US-centric (which is fine, they're an American talking to a US based outlet for a primarily US audience, but it's still a bad take).

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
i watched that demi lovato documentary this past summer and the stuff theyve been through was pretty horrific. overdosed on drugs and left for dead after being raped by their drug dealer. previously raped on the set of one of those camp rock movies too, i believe. so ill keep from judgment regarding them from now on.

Oct 27, 2017
If only. They were outraged that they had to walk past the sugar-free section before they got to the sugar one. Apparently that promoted unhealthy dieting.

One poster pointed out that she's struggled with mental health issues so I wonder if that is behind these weird takes.

Exactly, and for the rest of us (or the UK at least) that's not the case which makes their take seem even dumber. It's extremely US-centric (which is fine, they're an American talking to a US based outlet for a primarily US audience, but it's still a bad take).

I think you got the wrong takeaway from my comment, "dumbness" about the USA aside. There is a context in the USA where seeing "alien" as derogatory makes sense.

This forum is really terrible when facing and recognizing mental health issues. Hopefully the people you know personally who are not public figures don't get the same treatment of rehashing their low moments just because someone thought what they said one time was dumb.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
My two cents: I wish ERA wouldn't allow threads like this. Demi has gone on record about how their overdose resulted in permanent brain damage, bad enough that they are no longer allowed to legally drive. Want to dunk on someone like Donald Trump, go apeshit. But mocking someone who clearly suffers from lingering mental issues isn't fun.

No one in the thread is going to agree with Demi, so there's no constructive discussion to be had here, it's all just "Wow, aren't they dumb/stupid/crazy? Hollyweird, amirite?!"

theBmZ

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I just got back from a tour of Rigel IV. There we just called everyone "outlander".

For real though, they need help and to pick their battles better. This can be used in a derogatory way, if that's the intent of some piece of shit that wants to use it that way. But it is not inherently offensive.

Last edited:

Annubis

Oct 25, 2017
We'll call them by their specie's name once we know it.
Can't really address something properly when we don't even have proof of their existence.

For all we know, sound waves could be deadly to them and calling them anything will be a crime.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
My two cents: I wish ERA wouldn't allow threads like this. Demi has gone on record about how their overdose resulted in permanent brain damage, bad enough that they are no longer allowed to legally drive. Want to dunk on someone like Donald Trump, go apeshit. But mocking someone who clearly suffers from lingering mental issues isn't fun.

No one in the thread is going to agree with Demi, so there's no constructive discussion to be had here, it's all just "Wow, aren't they dumb/stupid/crazy? Hollyweird, amirite?!"

This.

ERA a long way to go on a lot of issues including mental illness.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA

seriously. people in this thread actually calling them insane? gross as fuck.

and if you don't know enough about a person and the things they have going on, don't say shit like that about them and act repentant later. that's just a good rule of thumb for being a decent human.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017

Yeah and the thread title and the article themselves seem in bad faith too

Status
Not open for further replies.