• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Warhawk4Ever

Banned
Jun 23, 2021
Mod edit.
Official Staff Communication
Here is a reminder that Demi has come out as nonbinary and stated their gender pronoun is "they/them". Misgendering may be subject to moderation going forward.

www.google.com

Demi Lovato Says 'Alien' is Offensive When Referring to Extraterrestrials

They actually want us to stop calling aliens ... aliens šŸ˜.

While talking shop on their E.T. project, they said this ... "I really think that if there was anything out there that would want to do that to us, it would have happened by now. But, I think that we have to stop calling them aliens because aliens is a derogatory term for anything." DL adds, "That's why I like to call them ETs! So yeah, that's a little tidbit. A little information that I learned."

Gotta watch out for the feelings of E.T.

Last edited by a moderator:

louiedog

Oct 25, 2017
Ancient-Aliens.jpg

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hello, Area 51?
Yes, I'd like to report the whereabouts of a known E.T. It's Demi Lovato.
Yes, the celebrity.
Yes, I'm very serious.
What do you mean "how did I get the number?"

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait til Demi finds out how they refer to us. "Those Assholes are still killing their own planet." "Humans are fucking idiots" "My Snarglepuss has more braincells in its asshole than a human has."

BrucCLea13k87

Oct 27, 2017
Just for the sake of the thread, Lavato uses they/them pronouns.

That said, they're an idiot looking for easy attention for a cashgrab show on Peacock. They also dragged a froyo shop on Instagram for the crime of selling a sugar free cookie.
Haha, yeah I heard about that. Thanks for the pronoun correction! I made the edit.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, we already know the aliens live among us, so it's just a good idea to respect their feelings.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
If we're going to have another "Let's dunk on this celebrity" thread, let's respect their pronouns. Yes?

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Lovato has some brain damage from an overdose that almost killed them in 2018, so I feel weird about mocking them for a fair bit of the ludicrous stuff they put out (all the reaching aliens extraterrestrials through meditation shit), but yeah, it's being monetised and signal boosted, so ĀÆ\_(惄)_/ĀÆ

Similar to how I feel about all the 'Gary Busey so crazy' content.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
They said "alien" is a derogatory term for anything.

I don't really agree but I hate this kind of article with headlines they never said like "It's Freaking Offensive!!!"

Last edited:

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017
idk if this is trolling or what, but it makes me think of people (usually teens) who learn basic social justice-y stuff about certain terms and things being offensive, but they don't really understand why they're offensive, and end up looking goofy when they try to apply those concepts in ways that aren't quite right

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty easy to see why this sentiment is so mockable if you see it as an extension of modern social justice issues. If you look at this as someone immersed in the subject of extraterrestrial life, though, and put it in a sci-fi/futurism sort of context, I can see where they're coming from. "If we actually met aliens, would we continue to call them aliens?" is not a totally uninteresting question.

Demi also seems well intentioned here and has been through a lot. TMZ's framing them as acting like the language police or some shit but I doubt it was supposed to be that deep.

Beefsquid

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Man, bunch of boomers in here. Can't believe I'm hearing "oh now you can't say this" sentiment in this thread.
Also, it's clearly marketing for their show so congrats to Paul Marketing on it working pretty well

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I think the problem is that it was a relatively small store, and the cookie wasn't even a house brand. Basically blaming this one frozen yogurt store with 'perpetuating diet culture'. Just came off as exceptionally petty. Especially since it's been known for awhile that their fans can be pretty toxic when unleashed online.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sugar free cookies and protecting the feelings of extra-terrestrials (which wouldn't understand our language to be offended anyway). Surely, these are vital issues of our era.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty easy to see why this sentiment is so mockable if you see it as an extension of modern social justice issues. If you look at this as someone immersed in the subject of extraterrestrial life, though, and put it in a sci-fi/futurism sort of context, I can see where they're coming from. "If we actually met aliens, would we continue to call them aliens?" is not a totally uninteresting question.
"Alien" literally just means "foreign". The reason we calls them "aliens" is essentially a contraction of "space aliens", which suggests that they're foreign from the perspective of the people of the Earth. The term "extraterrestrial" essentially means the same thing. There's nothing innately monstrous or offensive about the term, unless you think not being from where you are is somehow offensive.

They presumably would see us as foreign in the same way. If we actually met and communicated with them, they might have their own terms they'd use to refer to themselves specifically, so we'd just use whatever terms they'd use and they'd adopt "human" or something like that for us.

OP
OP
Warhawk4Ever

Warhawk4Ever

Banned
Jun 23, 2021
no matter how stupid the shit they say might be, misgendering demi (they're non-binary, hell the fucking tmz article even uses the right pronouns) & calling them insane in the same breath is fucking disgusting

Calling Demi by the wrong pronoun was an accident but if you are trying to argue I am connecting them being insane with how they identify themselves, thst's on you.

Demi can kick rocks for what was done to the bakery shop.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
"Alien" literally just means "foreign". The reason we calls them "aliens" is essentially a contraction of "space aliens", which suggests that they're foreign from the perspective of the people of the Earth. The term "extraterrestrial" essentially means the same thing. There's nothing innately monstrous or offensive about the term, unless you think not being from where you are is somehow offensive.

You see, though, how that same exact logic can be applied to calling some of our fellow human beings "aliens"...and yet that itself is a pretty contentious issue (for good reason)?

"Extraterrestrial" has both a different precise meaning and a different connotation. Ain't really about what's innately bad.

Either way, I truly have no dog in this fight, lol. I can just see the argument. If interaction with extraterrestrial beings became some normalized fact of life, chances are these kind of issues would come up. Specificity would be called for, we'd be more conscious of othering, Earth vs. not from Earth might become less casually centralized in our discourse around the subject (in both directions: how we see ourselves, how we see life from elsewhere).

Even if you disagree with where Demi landed here, it's not innately ridiculous to engage with the subject this way. "Oh, now we're worried about offending aliens?? AYYY LMAOOO" Just like we can speculate about what they'd look like, where they are, whether or not we'd be able to fuck them, we can also take these basic toolsets to evaluate language we've all come to know and apply it to them, as well. It's a fun enough exercise.

sprsk

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I was gonna respond to the topic at hand until I saw the trailer for the show which is more or less Demi Lovato and their friends get free money to go spend a night in the desert cause Demi saw a drone one time.

This quote is just dumb shit played up for the even dumber show.

Last edited:

Deleted member 3542

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Iā€¦.dont get what the big deal is?

Demi likes to call them extra terrestrials instead of aliens and gave a reason that makes sense to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.