• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NeonBorealis

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Jan 10, 2018
Fucking hell, I wish I didn't have to work today. The urge to not click on spoilers is getting unbearable.

I just want one thing answered for me and I want this to be the only potential spoiler I know.

Is this Undertale 2? And is it the full game?

Maybe??? And it is just the first chapter of ??.

Hope this answered your questions.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
This is a little out there but the meta structure reminds me a bit of

the Dark Souls series (but not for the reason any other game gets compared to Souls). They're a series of games that all play similarly, but the pieces are a little different even though thematically they're all interlinked. People, places, and things will all remind you of another place, but they're slightly changed this time around. Another castle, another scared populace, another King scorned.

Though I only ever played Undertale through twice, with the true pacifist ending. I had no interest in the Genocide route and thus no idea about this Chara character until you all started talking about them, so maybe this really ties in more directly with UT...but maybe not. I'm more inclined to believe that like someone else up the page said, Fox is going for something along the lines of MGS2.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Fucking hell, I wish I didn't have to work today. The urge to not click on spoilers is getting unbearable.

I just want one thing answered for me and I want this to be the only potential spoiler I know.

Is this Undertale 2? And is it the full game?

it doesn't appear to be a full game, and while it's definitely connected to Undertale we aren't yet sure quite how

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Okay... I know I wasn't supposed to, but I just finished this despite only playing the Undertale demo.

I just bought the game on Switch. I want more.

atomsk eater

Oct 25, 2017
Welp, finished it. I about lost my mind
when Ralsei took off his hat and revealed he looks just like Asriel. In fact that's kind of neat how you don't really see either of your party member's faces until the end of the chapter (with Suzie's hair getting pushed back after the boss fight).

The real-life/town portion just feels so wrong. The people who should have certain relationships don't even know the other characters (nooo my perfect ship Undyne and Alphys), and in some cases their opinions are reversed, like with Catty and Bratty. Definitely feels like we're playing in an alternate reality.

The last weird thing is how there are no other humans. There's no way of telling if this is a world where monsters were locked up underground in the past or not, unless I missed some text somewhere. So where are the people, do they just not come to monster towns?

Overall I was expecting a little dinky demo and got Undertale 2: Overtale Chapter 1 Electric Boogaloo.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
Another endgame spoiler:

The flowers at the dad's flower shop looks just like the human souls in Undertale!
I actually got the implication that they were the flowers from his and Toriel's wedding.

Since they seem to be separated in this game, I wonder if he's trying to keep them alive as a way to keep his relationship with her alive. That idea of him not letting go of the past and being unable to move on makes a strong parallel to his collection of the souls in Undertale.

I can't help but wonder how Asgore is going to fit into all this.

demidar

Oct 26, 2017
Another endgame spoiler:

The flowers at the dad's flower shop looks just like the human souls in Undertale!

Yes I noticed that as well. What a weird thing to include.

I've been reading up on Gaster stuff, in particular of mentions of Suzy in Undertale and how "we" will be meeting her soon. There's also some minor inclusions/changes in the Nintendo Switch version that hint at connections to Deltarune. I'd check more but I really need to head to bed.

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
My personal theory:
Gaster somehow managed to go back and change his personal history to where he never fell into the Core. This is the timeline that results from that.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Finished it, whew what a ride.

I don't even fully get what I just played but that ending

Now I need chapter 2

Music was 100/100 again

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Man, the music in this.

What a lovely surprise.

Just went through the whole thing... and I'm sure I'm missing basically every single important plot beat. Looking forward to reading theories and the likes over the next few days.

Deleted member 3925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finished. That was amazing.

So it's a sequel? Or is it a prequel? About Chara in some weird alternate timeline?

I have no idea, but I'm very intrigued.

Toybasher

Nov 21, 2017
Welp, finished it. I about lost my mind
when Ralsei took off his hat and revealed he looks just like Asriel. In fact that's kind of neat how you don't really see either of your party member's faces until the end of the chapter (with Suzie's hair getting pushed back after the boss fight).

The real-life/town portion just feels so wrong. The people who should have certain relationships don't even know the other characters (nooo my perfect ship Undyne and Alphys), and in some cases their opinions are reversed, like with Catty and Bratty. Definitely feels like we're playing in an alternate reality.

The last weird thing is how there are no other humans. There's no way of telling if this is a world where monsters were locked up underground in the past or not, unless I missed some text somewhere. So where are the people, do they just not come to monster towns?

Overall I was expecting a little dinky demo and got Undertale 2: Overtale Chapter 1 Electric Boogaloo.

Thought there was a human in the hospital in one of the wards. Maybe my vision is bad. I do agree it seems like MANY things were changed. Alphys liked Kissy Castle 2 or whatever rather than the first one I believe, Papyrus never saw a human, or something, etc. It's some sort of AU but certain elements make it feel like a sequel.

retrobotjr

Jan 10, 2018
Hm I'm curious. I have a little hunch here. Very spoilery theory below, responses welcomed/needed to test my theory.

I read above that a couple people just had the game end with Kris in bed, without the soul ripping scene. I did have the soul ripping scene. I am reminded of a line from Rasiel (did i get that name right? idr i just keep thinking "Asriel" lol) where they say something along the lines of "if you don't kill anything you might get the best ending."

I had theorized earlier that this might be a red herring and that Toby knows most players will be trying not to kill from the get go. My theory is, maybe the people who didn't get the soul ripping scene did kill something? That sparing everything is maybe not the best idea in this game? Can anyone who didn't get that scene, please respond?

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This made me go back and try and finish my Undertale play through, but my save got deleted :(.

Are there any good story and lore videos out there to get me up to speed. Or maybe a game trainer that I can just breeze through the game again?

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
I like it that there's so much mystery around this, just like Undertale before dataminers screwed everything.
So just like Undertale, it's way better to go into this unprepared (you need to finish Undertale though)

RobotVM

Oct 27, 2017
This thread made me by Undertales on my Switch a few minutes ago. I played it around when it first released but didn't get very far. I will play through it and move to this game.

atomsk eater

Oct 25, 2017
Another thing is that someone in the diner mentions the whole family used to come in after church for meals together, until some incident happened, and then it was just Asriel and Kris. Wonder what incident that was. In either case it probably led to Toriel and Asgore being estranged.

Thought there was a human in the hospital in one of the wards. Maybe my vision is bad. I do agree it seems like MANY things were changed. Alphys liked Kissy Castle 2 or whatever rather than the first one I believe, Papyrus never saw a human, or something, etc. It's some sort of AU but certain elements make it feel like a sequel.

One room was the deer girl's dad and the other was a big blue bandaged thing that definitely wasn't human. The monster at the front desk was the giant mouth...lady? thing. I may have missed something but I really think there were no other humans!
I thought Suzie calling Kris a "freak" would tie in, like maybe humans are rare or it's weird for a human to live with a monster family since the two races keep to themselves, but maybe that was more about Kris actually being an unsettling weirdo since some NPCs mention them being weird/creepy.

One thing in the end,
The mother mentions playing with a sibling. Chara?

Kris's mother, Toriel mentioned this? She was referring to Asriel, who is away in college.

Oct 25, 2017
For whoever wasn't able to find all the keys:
Gotta go to the ???? option in the castle elevator and talk with the prisoner first
Go back to the field, talk with the shopkeeper to get one
Go to the where all the card suits puzzles are, top area, there is a 4 piece puzzle, solve it to get one (diamonds, hearts, clubs, spades)
Go to the forest and go down an invisible path at the bottom of the dancers area to get one

Then fix the key with the hammer dude next to the bakery shops

Good luck.

Saikyo

Oct 25, 2017

TheFireman

Banned
Dec 22, 2017
Am I okay to play this if I've done only a neutral playthrough of Undertale, and am familiar with the general endgame of the other two playthroughs?

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't that where Kris/Frisk fell into that "world" from UT?

2RWSIll.jpg

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
God, Fields of Hope is such a good song. Toby is absolutely one of the best composers in games right now.

awake4ages

Neo•Geo Saver
Oct 27, 2017
So I can't stop thinking about this game already. I've made a decision, since no one else seems to be doing so, I am going to redownload Deltarune on my secondary PC (which is completely vanilla from both this and the original Undertale) and attempt a genocide run to see what happens.

Here goes nothing.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
So I can't stop thinking about this game already. I've made a decision, since no one else seems to be doing so, I am going to redownload Deltarune on my secondary PC (which is completely vanilla from both this and the original Undertale) and attempt a genocide run to see what happens.

Here goes nothing.

You monster!

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
So can anyone tell me what the...
Good ending was? I did genocide and was Kris falling out of bed, ripping out her soul, throwing it in a case, and pulling out a knife.

Pascal

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Parts Unknown
Man that was interesting as fuck.
I loved all of the little easter eggs and callbacks after you leave the Dark World. Seeing Asgore running a flower shop was really heartwarming. But, I'm starting to believe that this is some kind of alternate universe thingy. A few of the key characters didn't seem to recognize each other. I feel like we don't have enough pieces of the puzzle yet to say for sure, but something really strange is happening here. Can't wait to learn more. But, yeah, walking through the town at the end and meeting some old friends was definitely a highlight. That part in particular REALLY reminded me of Earthbound. I just wonder what's in store next. Because that ending...was a bit ominous to say the least.

Also, who here is brave enough to try and see if there is a genocide path in this game? I'm too scared, but I need to know for science. How far can this world be pushed? And I just know that there are a ton of easter eggs out there just waiting to be found. Might hop back in and poke around some myself. Definitely need to find the key pieces that I missed and open that ominous cell in the castle. What could go wrong?

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think a full genocide run is possible, at least in the way Undertale handles it.

The enemies in the first area run away whenever they run out of health and then with the drum boss with the crown, you can't kill them because they end up healing for 700 and you can't do more damage than that before they heal again.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Good ending was? I did genocide and was Kris falling out of bed, ripping out her soul, throwing it in a case, and pulling out a knife.

I did the pacifist route. Killed nobody and still got that scene. So I dunno if there is a difference?

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
Obviously there's a little uncertainty right now but I haven't seen any confirmation that there even are different endings.

I had no kills and it was still weird heart ripping knife time.