• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MortIIs

Oct 27, 2017
I have deltarune downloaded and i stopped playing undertale at

the TV Show

How far am I from the end?

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017
Aight so here's my hot take. I think it'd be fine to play this first. The core characters and story are completely separate to Undertale. Outside of the intro and outro, the stories don't overlap at all and even then, those scenarios make sense without the references. I don't gotta play Undertale to realise that the goat's my mum

Also the reveal right at the end
will still probably be shocking to a non-Undertale player because of how spooky and unsurprising it is. It doesn't make much sense yet with context, and that character is hidden right at the end of Undertale's hardest-to-achieve ending so a lot of people might not know it anyway.

I have deltarune downloaded and i stopped playing undertale at

the TV Show

How far am I from the end?

Pretty close to achieving an ending. You're about halfway through the last "proper" area and after that it's mostly a series of bosses and story segments

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
It is a quite easy game; my SO is a pretty casual player and only needed me to get through a couple of the later bosses. Perhaps there's something specific that's not clicking with you? In any case, the game is incredible and the point isn't really the difficulty, so if you're playing on PC and can simply use a trainer or cheats or whatever, you wouldn't be missing a huge part of the experience like you would with, say, Dark Souls (and obviously missing less than straight out not playing the game. :D).
I've completed Bloodborne but found Undertale too difficult.

I started to resent how the battles were zero benefit to progress and were literally a waste of time. I got stuck in one area where it was all black screen and couldn't find the way forward. During this time I encountered the same few random battles like thirty times and became so bored of dodging the same patterns. My mistake was probably that I was trying pacifist, but it seemed like that was the whole point of he game.

As for 'simply using a trainer', I looked this up a few times and it always seems like a nightmare of editing files and things not working properly.

Jan 3, 2019

I started to resent how the battles were zero benefit to progress and were literally a waste of time. I got stuck in one area where it was all black screen and couldn't find the way forward. During this time I encountered the same few random battles like thirty times and became so bored of dodging the same patterns. My mistake was probably that I was trying pacifist, but it seemed like that was the whole point of he game.

As for 'simply using a trainer', I looked this up a few times and it always seems like a nightmare of editing files and things not working properly.
You're supposed to "activate" the flower things to reveal the path in that area.

Jan 3, 2019
There was a glitch were they weren't working for a while. By the time I got it working I had burned more than an hour in that terrible area and used all my items.
If you want I can make you a custom save with the best equipment of the game and an inventory full of healing items. Should make things easier. You could use the tool yourself, but it's spoilery. Just send me undertale.ini and file0 files.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
If you want I can make you a custom save with the best equipment of the game and an inventory full of healing items. Should make things easier. You could use the tool yourself, but it's spoilery. Just send me undertale.ini and file0 files.
Good to know there's a decent tool if I ever get the strength to try again. I don't mind the spoilers.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
What if they played the Undertale demo instead?

One of them (the one I think would love it the most) doesn't have a PC (!); the other I got to try the Undertale demo but didn't proceed to the full game.

That is super weird. Except for the two genocide route bosses, nothing in Undertale is harder than even Father Gascoine, let alone all of Bloodborne. I'm assuming this is one case of different skillsets, but even so Undertale uses a skillset that I did not really have a lot of practice with, either.

You can run away from most battles (immediately, even; I don't think you have to go through any of the enemy's turns) if you're not interested in the money or whatever charmingly weird antics the enemies are engaging in. I don't think I've ever had the Run option fail on me, but admittedly I barely ever ran away anyway.

Finally, I personally think you did well in going Pacifist first. That's what I did and I enjoyed the game immensely.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished it, what was with that ending, that was unexpected and didn't match anything that happened in the game. Really weird

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
Just finished it, what was with that ending, that was unexpected and didn't match anything that happened in the game. Really weird
It's about 99% subtext, but combined with what you can get if you really take your time exploring Hometown and talk to everyone, you can get a sense of what Kris has been going through and how the events of the chapter might have affected them.
I can elaborate if you want but it'll take me a bit to type it all out.

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017
So on this playthrough I've decided to
attempt to do the Jevil fight, but I'm completely hopeless. This seems way harder than Sans to me and I can barely get anywhere. Have I crippled myself by not killing anyone and gaining no EXP? Or is this fight just utter bollocks no matter how well prepared you are?

i cant do anything

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
attempt to do the Jevil fight, but I'm completely hopeless. This seems way harder than Sans to me and I can barely get anywhere. Have I crippled myself by not killing anyone and gaining no EXP? Or is this fight just utter bollocks no matter how well prepared you are?

i cant do anything

Are you doing the Pacifist or Violent version of the fight?

You never actually gain EXP in the demo either way.

ffdgh

Oct 25, 2017
The Mushroom Kingdom

i cant do anything
Just keep at it and being defensive, healing, spamming hypnosis and pirouette. It gets more doable once you learn how to avoid his attacks. Trying to actually fight him is way harder lol.

tommyv2

Nov 6, 2017
I wish I liked Undertale as much as others did. Bullet-hell shooting parts that don't run at 60fps is just insanity in what was otherwise a gem of a game.

mentallyinept

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Played through this not having played Untertale (but I watched a few lets plays\speedruns).

A thoroughly enjoyable experience.

I really want the "act" portions of the game to go a bit further (chain-acts), talk to unlock acts, etc. This one was pretty simple and every option produced results.

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017
Are you doing the Pacifist or Violent version of the fight?

You never actually gain EXP in the demo either way.
Just keep at it and being defensive, healing, spamming hypnosis and pirouette. It gets more doable once you learn how to avoid his attacks. Trying to actually fight him is way harder lol.

Good to know, thanks! I will refrain from attacking him from now on and see if I fare any better

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017
Oh wow I actually did it!

It was a lot easier when I knew to just defend every turn you don't have SP, and his 'ultimate' attack with the scythes was really nothing on Sans' final attack. I dodged it first try. It's pretty cool how there are new dialogue options in the shop after you beat him which explain a bit more what his deal is

And now I've officially exhausted this 2 hour thing of content and I have nothing to do but wait 10 years for the full game