• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Blooddimond

Oct 25, 2017
The Delta culture is unique and can't/won't be replicated by other airlines. The saying there is that the only thing harder than getting hired at Delta is getting fired from Delta. The employees truly do not believe they need unions and that they are taken care off better than anyone else in the industry.
If the employees don't think they need unions, why does the company feel the need to remind the employees they don't need unions? This is clearly something the company sees as enough of an issue to run an entire campaign against, which means that at least a vocal portion of the workforce has been arguing for unionization.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
interesting and a bit disappointing. I'd be lying if I said Delta wasn't one of the 2 or 3 best airlines and flying experiences in the US.

I always have a great experience there and am almost back to Diamond status. Literally sitting at a Delta gate as I read this.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mass market entertainment literally exists to keep people complacent with the status quo

kagete

Oct 27, 2017
If the employees don't think they need unions, why does the company feel the need to remind the employees they don't need unions?

Unions and pro-union groups have been advertising locally for years and DL has responded in kind. Some of the pro-union ads and billboards will make your eyes roll back into your head with how inane or dishonest they are, same as some anti-union material.

It's been a constant campaign since the merger. Delta "merged" with NWA which was union-dominated. Depending on who you want to believe, the most often repeated version of the truth is that NWA had the better leadership and processes in place but were saddled with powerful and abusive unions. Delta then "bought" NWA with NWA's money. Delta's brand, HQ, and absence of unions were desirable so the final merged entity was Delta instead of NWA. Note that the merged company's senior leadership, and middle management were all ex-NWA leaders.

This NWA blood/leadership started Delta's "blue wave" in GA which many DL old-timers resent to this day as it became the spearhead for slowly turning key districts blue or purple in an otherwise deep red state. That same leadership advocated for worker protections and massively increased compensation that the old DL-only guard didn't agree with. That being said, UNION = a dirty word at DL. Amazingly different from other airlines, especially United/Continental.

Oct 28, 2017
Unions and pro-union groups have been advertising locally for years and DL has responded in kind. Some of the pro-union ads and billboards will make your eyes roll back into your head with how inane or dishonest they are, same as some anti-union material.

It's been a constant campaign since the merger. Delta "merged" with NWA which was union-dominated. Depending on who you want to believe, the most often repeated version of the truth is that NWA had the better leadership and processes in place but were saddled with powerful and abusive unions. Delta then "bought" NWA with NWA's money. Delta's brand, HQ, and absence of unions were desirable so the final merged entity was Delta instead of NWA. Note that the merged company's senior leadership, and middle management were all ex-NWA leaders.

This NWA blood/leadership started Delta's "blue wave" in GA which many DL old-timers resent to this day as it became the spearhead for slowly turning key districts blue or purple in an otherwise deep red state. That same leadership advocated for worker protections and massively increased compensation that the old DL-only guard didn't agree with. That being said, UNION = a dirty word at DL. Amazingly different from other airlines, especially United/Continental.

Regardless of this, the main question is why is a corporation afraid of unionisation? Do you really think that the members of the union are going to somehow bully for "better conditions" if they are getting the best deal already, and they're already happy?

Come on man. Stop nutcupping corporations. Recognise when they're trying to squeeze you.

gully state

Oct 27, 2017
iu

UF_C

Oct 25, 2017
The best anti-union propaganda is providing a safe workplace with exceptional benefits and pay. Don't give the employees a reason to organzine...and they won't. Simple as that.

kagete

Oct 27, 2017
Regardless of this, the main question is why is a corporation afraid of unionisation? Do you really think that the members of the union are going to somehow bully for "better conditions" if they are getting the best deal already, and they're already happy?

Come on man. Stop nutcupping corporations. Recognise when they're trying to squeeze you.

You and I and everyone here already know why corporations are afraid of unions. They are afraid of the most extreme, pot-smoking-during-lunch-break-protecting versions of it. I'm not nutcupping them, but I would like to stay employed by them.

I get it man, believe me. I don't have what it takes to start my own business but if I did I would sure love to make it the best workplace for everyone. Holistically speaking, if I were a business owner a union would scare the heck out of me. I would love to negotiate directly with my employees and have open forums/discussions with them. That said, I don't and I don't think I'll get there.

UF_C

Oct 25, 2017

Because every business has upset employees. When a company is consistently being bombarded with union messaging, some will take to it regardless of how great their working conditions really are. I mean, you've met humans before right? They aren't the most reasonable species on the planet.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Delta and the airline industry has been great at reducing seat pitch and adding fees in part by encouraging passengers to fight each other over reclining and overhead baggage space.

They recently revealed that they're planning to eliminate the ability to recline to "help" passengers.

And if the thread here was anything to go by, they already won. They'll eliminate the feature, act like they did a good deed and two years later slyly insert another two rows of seats and reduce legroom - in part to get you to pay more to not be in physical discomfort. And they know it.

Oct 28, 2017
Because every business has upset employees. When a company is consistently being bombarded with union messaging, some will take to it regardless of how great their working conditions really are. I mean, you've met humans before right? They aren't the most reasonable species on the planet.

Yeah but come on, look at the wording of that advert. They're trying to trick you into thinking that a new games console is worth giving up the ability to fight against bad work conditions. Couldn't they have done something more targeted at unreasonable union shit if that was their objective? Its pretty clear what they're aiming for here, and that's the classic American trick of "Please ignore what could be done to improve the system, just listen to the now". See also: attitudes towards single payer healthcare.

Shaun Solo

Oct 25, 2017
Your job could have great pay, benefits, reasonable hours, etc. and you'd still be better off with a union.

Fuck this trash.

Nuclearaddict

Oct 25, 2017
You and I and everyone here already know why corporations are afraid of unions. They are afraid of the most extreme, pot-smoking-during-lunch-break-protecting versions of it. I'm not nutcupping them, but I would like to stay employed by them.

I get it man, believe me. I don't have what it takes to start my own business but if I did I would sure love to make it the best workplace for everyone. Holistically speaking, if I were a business owner a union would scare the heck out of me. I would love to negotiate directly with my employees and have open forums/discussions with them. That said, I don't and I don't think I'll get there.

Hahahaha.

Where do I even begin. I'll start with the obvious.

They're afraid of continuing to pay decent wages, overtime pay instead of straight pay, paid sick leave, decent hours, bathroom breaks, lunches, comfort breaks, access to drinking water (these cause needless bathroom breaks that waste time!!!), annual leave, maternity leave, pensions, representation if you mess up at work, unions coming between upper management abusing and harassing employees, creating and maintaining a safe work environment.

Tugatrix

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Yeah good that you really that open with your workers beacuse you are kind of a rarity. Most of the employers and mostly the corporations don't have that openess and workers end up striking to be heard

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
Please look at the whole picture and not just one image. Delta gives more in profit sharing to it's employees that any other company this size. $1B+ a year the last 4 years. No propaganda needed. PMNW union employees all love it. AA and United employees are green with envy.

I wonder what group may have initially negotiated profit sharing between the corporation and its employees.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
when in doubt, trust the people coming together to organize over the corporation

and NEVER trust when your employer tells you to stop paying your union dues lmfao

kagete

Oct 27, 2017
Hahahaha.

Where do I even begin. I'll start with the obvious.

They're afraid of continuing to pay decent wages, overtime pay instead of straight pay, paid sick leave, decent hours, bathroom breaks, lunches, comfort breaks, access to drinking water (these cause needless bathroom breaks that waste time!!!), annual leave, maternity leave, pensions, representation if you mess up at work, unions coming between upper management abusing and harassing employees, creating and maintaining a safe work environment.

But none of your concerns apply to Delta, Southwest, Alaska, AA etc. Okay maybe to United or the tiny regional carriers sure.

Nuclearaddict

Oct 25, 2017
But none of your concerns apply to Delta, Southwest, Alaska, AA etc. Okay maybe to United or the tiny regional carriers sure.

So what's the problem with organizing while things are decent and stable? Why wait for things to possibly turn sour? Like why be at all against people being represented and protected?

Nov 2, 2017

If you think the reason that corporations are afraid of unions is because they've scared themselves about a boogieman they've been propagandizing about for decades, then you don't in fact know why corporations are afraid of unions.

This stuff about "love to negotiate directly with my employees" is nonsense because unions are the employees and when you speak with the union you are directly speaking with employees. The reason corporations don't like unions is because unions provide employees with leverage and power that they would otherwise lack.

kagete

Oct 27, 2017
I want to make it clear that I am not anti Union at all. My stance, which is mirrored by Delta the corporation and the overwhelming majority of its employees, is that Delta's current non-union employees will not be better served by forming a union. They already enjoy the best benefits which were offered by management without union negotiations. I fully believe that a union could realistically have negotiated even more but I also believe that it could turn adversarial and maybe they would actually get less.

I am not shilling for them. US airlines pay well and employees are treated better than ever. I know what it was like pre 2008 and I've seen the turnaround. I absolutely want Delta to succeed and profit and for other airlines to follow in their profit sharing initiatives.

I was a union member in my past bank job as well and my mom used to negotiate for her union at her bank. It's not cut and dry and each employer and employees relationship is unique to each market over time. Delta is on the right side of that equation for now so I want to champion them for treating their folks better than any other airlines.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well I have another company I dont want to support.

Are there any good airlines left?

Tugatrix

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I want to make it clear that I am not anti Union at all. My stance, which is mirrored by Delta the corporation and the overwhelming majority of its employees, is that Delta's current non-union employees will not be better served by forming a union. They already enjoy the best benefits which were offered by management without union negotiations. I fully believe that a union could realistically have negotiated even more but I also believe that it could turn adversarial and maybe they would actually get less.

I am not shilling for them. US airlines pay well and employees are treated better than ever. I know what it was like pre 2008 and I've seen the turnaround. I absolutely want Delta to succeed and profit and for other airlines to follow in their profit sharing initiatives.

I was a union member in my past bank job as well and my mom used to negotiate for her union at her bank. It's not cut and dry and each employer and employees relationship is unique to each market over time. Delta is on the right side of that equation for now so I want to champion them for treating their folks better than any other airlines.

giphy.gif

They truly have you, haven't they?

If they are that good, they have nothing to be afraid of a union, or are they that good mate?

Sixthhokage1

Nov 14, 2018
Ft Worth, TX
https://www.fastcompany.com/9034709...union-dues-to-video-games-in-offensive-poster
While the airlines pilots and dispatchers are represented by their own union, other employees do not have such representation. According to one unionization campaign for Delta's ramp workers, the airline puts a cap on the number of hours part-time employees can work, as well as provides expensive and inadequate health insurance. Delta has gone to great lengths to hinder the unionization effort.

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
My next console purchases with my saved funds will be:

Wii Union
Xbox Delta
and
Playstation 13,173,411

Coincedentally, the Playstation is named in honor of the Delta CEO's salary but I assure you his salary has nothing to do with why he wouldn't want you to join a union!

This is good lol

Belfast

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah one of the national conservative groups with Freedom in its name or whatever left a flyer in my mailbox showing the ways in which one of our state unions was spending their money (I.e. eating good on your dime!) without realizing that it's the union I am a member of and directly benefit from giving those dues to. The money they spend on food is usually for catering local union meetings. It's usually sandwiches or pizza or something, not Filet mignon, and we get to eat it. So I guess I'm just feeding myself, then?

Sure any organization is susceptible to corruption because they're run by humans, but that doesn't make these anti union corporations the good guys by default.

jay

Oct 25, 2017
Unions are irrelevant these days. Please please please for the love of god don't join one of these completely powerless organizations.

Oct 26, 2017
Fucking lol. The work that our union has done in securing us better wages over the past few years has been incredible. It's precisely because of this I can afford things like games consoles, and that's not even taking into account all the other bells and whistles that come with being a union member.

Sixthhokage1

Nov 14, 2018
Ft Worth, TX
Unions are irrelevant these days. Please please please for the love of god don't join one of these completely powerless organizations.
The only reason that unions in the US are "powerless" [1] is because of the work of large business interests and the Republican party politicians in their pocket: the Taft-Hartley act (and congressional Democrats' in the 40s failure to fight it), "right-to-work" state laws [2], and propaganda like Delta's "Don't Risk It, Don't Sign It" campaign this stupid fucking poster is part of.

----
[1]: which, I work in a place represented by a pretty weak local union and the union is still really empowering when it comes to fighting management's BS
[2]: A fucking bullshit name, they have nothing to do with the right to work in the UDHR and everything to do with weakening unionization. Unions actually hold up the right to work more than these laws that outlaw union security agreements.

Marshall

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not a manager at Delta LOL. I wish I was. Delta has 150% 401k matching up to 6% (they match 9) and routinely gives 11 to 15% yearly bonuses. Their payscales are great too. Managers get an extra 12 to 25% bonus yearly on top of that.

I have 15 years split between a union-dominated major US airline and a non-union one. I've seen both sides. My dad also worked for two other major airlines I haven't worked at so we have seen and heard it all. My father-in-law has worked for two airlines as well. I have seen the engineer/ramp/ticket payscales, FA/pilot working agreements, and have insider gossip for all of them. No one beats Delta.

The Delta culture is unique and can't/won't be replicated by other airlines. The saying there is that the only thing harder than getting hired at Delta is getting fired from Delta. The employees truly do not believe they need unions and that they are taken care off better than anyone else in the industry.
I know someone who works there and she loves it. Really good benefits, decent pay, etc.

xnipx

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Anti union employees make no sense to me. You do realize corporations place profits OVER workplace morale as a function of capitalism right? That's how the system is designed. A lot of the luxuries you are bragging about can disappear with one change of ownership in a days time and with no one to represent you you're fucked. Many of these benefits we enjoy today are BECAUSE of people literally sacrificing their lives to ensure you have the chance to get "profit sharing" and they HOPE you continue to get it until you retire. Not when the company deems it too expensive to afford when the ceos grandson needs a new yacht.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
If a company is standing against it, then you know it has to be good for the employees.

Deleted member 54292

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 27, 2019
Hello fellow employees why spend money on the reality of a better future when you could invest in
V I D E O G A M E C O N S O L E

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Spotted the capitalist.

Seems like he's being sarcastic.

The pro Delta guy had some good insight, no need dump on him. That being said, fuck Delta and I hope they eventually end up unionizing. The idea that Delta treats their employees well is nice but what happens when some new dickhead takes over unexpectedly and things go to shit? Workers would love to have a union in that situation and it won't hurt them now. The idea that Delta will give them less just because they unionize is ridiculous, they might not get a lot MORE if Delta truly is such a great employer but they're not gonna get worse all of a sudden because the workers form a union.

I'm in a public sector union and it's the best thing ever. My work stress is so low.