• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Delta Air Lines, which has narrowly fought off several attempts to unionise its flight attendants, will begin paying cabin crews during boarding, a change that is expected to increase their wages by several thousand dollars a year.

It is a notable change for United States airlines, where pay for flight attendants starts when all the passengers are seated and the plane's doors close.
The change came as Delta planned to increase the boarding time for single-aisle or "narrowbody" planes from 35 minutes to 40 minutes, which the airline expected will increase the percentage of flights that depart on time.
Delta's pilots are represented by a union, but several attempts to organise the flight attendants have failed in the face of fierce opposition by the Atlanta-based company. The Association of Flight Attendants, which has been gearing up an organising campaign at Delta for more than two years, took credit for the boarding pay.

"This new policy is the direct result of our organizing," the union said. "As we get closer to filing for our union vote, management is getting nervous."

More at:
www.aljazeera.com

Delta Air Lines to start paying flight attendants during boarding

The shift in policy is expected to increase the wages of flight attendants by several thousand dollars a year.

Eject if old

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
it's a fucking joke that they weren't paid for this before. what are they doing that whole boarding time if not working? lmao

Cocolina

Oct 28, 2017
was confused by the title, thought it meant they physically get handed their check/paid into their bank account during these activities

took me too long to work out that it means when they're on the clock and not

better news anyway, they should be paid for all the time they spend at work lol

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, had no idea they weren't before. So like, if there's a last-minute flight delay and the attendants are just standing around waiting for it to arrive or whatever, they're not being paid for that? It really should be a "clock in, clock out" system - like, if you're in uniform and in the airport or on the plane, you should be getting paid.

Hrodulf

Oct 25, 2017
Saw this a few days ago and was honestly surprised that this was not considered "on the clock" for them, especially considering that people can often make the boarding process a gigantic pain in the ass for them (intentional or not).

signal

Oct 28, 2017
This means I can arrive late and they'll hold the plane for me to arrive since they're getting paid now 🧠 😎

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
it's a fucking joke that they weren't paid for this before. what are they doing that whole boarding time if not working? lmao

Yeah, when this story initially came out that was my thought as well. The only reason they weren't paying them is I guess because they could? And it took customer uproar to change it?

RoadDogg

Oct 27, 2017
They should be paid the entire time they are at the airport regardless of if it is on the plane yet or not.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
So prior to this, what happens if a flight attendant is injured while loading bags into the overhead storage during boarding?

Lord Bandi

Apr 30, 2020
What the actual fuck?! This was a thing?!

The moment they step foot in the airport, they should be clocking in for work!

Red

Oct 26, 2017
How were they allowed to do this til now? That's so much free labor.

Rukland

Oct 28, 2017
They should be on the clock the moment they get on the crew bus if they are forced to ride it. My ex wife has worked for Delta and before that NWA. She was in two different car accidents while riding the crew bus, and the fights with workers comp were unreal. This is a good change but it is still not enough.

Smithy

Oct 25, 2017
Can't believe it either that they've been able to handle it the other way before. Like the work until the completed boarding ment nuthin'.

Shemhazai

Aug 13, 2020
was confused by the title, thought it meant they physically get handed their check/paid into their bank account during these activities

took me too long to work out that it means when they're on the clock and not

better news anyway, they should be paid for all the time they spend at work lol
Had the same thought process. I was so confused and still didn't understand what was going on until reading the OP twice.

Jun 10, 2020
Texas
Thought this meant they physically pay them as they get on the plane. I can't believe this wasn't already a thing before. If they are required to be there they should be getting paid.

Kastanjemanden

alt account
Banned
Jan 23, 2022
Delta is still the best airline (imo) Skyclub is unmatched. Love getting first class for like $75 too.

Glad they're doing this now.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
I cannot get my head around the fact that flight attendants aren't paid from like a set call/clockin time when they have to turn up before the flight or whatever. Insane.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
Delta is still the best airline (imo) Skyclub is unmatched. Love getting first class for like $75 too.

Glad they're doing this now.
I've preferred them for domestic flights for a bit now. I'd assume this kind of change will only improve the overall experience as well since it should raise staff morale. hopefully they keep the pressure up/unionize to get more

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
That blows my mind.

How is/was this even legal? They must clock hundreds of hours of free labor in a calendar year, wtf.

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017
What the actual fuck, how is that even a thing? They are clearly performing work during that time, are flight attendants actually employees or is this some 1099 contractor bullshit?

Really hope they are able to unionize, sounds like it is sorely needed.

Kastanjemanden

alt account
Banned
Jan 23, 2022
I've preferred them for domestic flights for a bit now. I'd assume this kind of change will only improve the overall experience as well since it should raise staff morale. hopefully they keep the pressure up/unionize to get more

Also I hope it opens eyes to those people who bother them while boarding.

I always wait til we're in the sky because they've got so much to do before hand.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Wow. I never knew this. They are busting their asses getting people seated and dealing with luggage and bullshit.

I'm shocked.

otherlank

Oct 25, 2017
I cannot get my head around the fact that flight attendants aren't paid from like a set call/clockin time when they have to turn up before the flight or whatever. Insane.
Pilots also don't get paid until at least after the parking brake is released. The industry has had free labor from flight crews since forever. This is hopefully the first domino.

breander

Oct 27, 2017
Anybody that works at an airport should be paid the minute they hit the parking lot that is like 45 minute walk from probably wherever in the airport they actually work. Like everyone else I am blown away they weren't even paid upon being in the building or area they are working at.

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017
They should be paid as soon as they clock on airport premise, before boarding the plane. There's no reason to go the airport unless you're working or travelling.

manzoman96

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly didn't even think this was an hourly position, figured it was salaried. Can't believe there are parts of a flight they're not getting paid for.

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
They should be paid as soon as they clock on airport premise, before boarding the plane. There's no reason to go the airport unless you're working or travelling.

Yeah, it's crazy that this wasn't part of their pay before. That is a lot of money the airlines fucked them over on. And with cost of living being what it is, just seems cruel when you consider it.

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do flight attendants have a union? Because not getting paid to schlep yourself across the airport or this nonsense seems a good thing to organize around

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's insane. They're literally at their work place, dressed in their work uniform. They don't get those 35-40 minutes to stay at home or to spend time with their family. How fucking stupid.

Would attendants not have to show up for work during this period in the past? Could they just show up for work just as the plane starts to take off?

I'm glad this is changing but how stupid that it was ever a thing to begin with.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
My sister is ecstatic about this.

That's insane. They're literally at their work place, dressed in their work uniform. They don't get those 35-40 minutes to stay at home or to spend time with their family. How fucking stupid.

Would attendants not have to show up for work during this period in the past? Could they just show up for work just as the plane starts to take off?

I'm glad this is changing but how stupid that it was ever a thing to begin with.

they have to show up insanely early just to "get ready" and that's all time they're not being paid.

Oct 27, 2017
One of the most blatant examples of wage theft I've heard of. And I complain about not getting paid for the five minutes of store opening I do.