• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
www.npr.org

'Teeth The Size Of Bananas'; New Study Paints Picture Of 'Terror Crocodiles'

A new study reveals there were multiple species of Deinosuchus, the giant crocodylians that lived 75 million years ago. They were among the largest predators in the ecosystem and ate dinosaurs.

uFRp6tq8FMchbEcZciUWR6-650-80.jpg.webp

Enormous "terror crocodiles" once roamed the earth and preyed on dinosaurs, according to a new study revisiting fossils from the gigantic Late Cretaceous crocodylian, Deinosuchus.

The research, published in the Journal of Vertebrate Paleontology, reiterates that Deinosuchus were among the largest crocodylians ever in existence, reaching up to 33 feet in length. New in this study is a look at the anatomy of the Deinosuchus, which was achieved by piecing together various specimens unknown until now, giving a fuller picture of the animal.

"Until now, the complete animal was unknown," Cossette said. "These new specimens we've examined reveal a bizarre, monstrous predator with teeth the size of bananas."

Past studies on cranial remains and bite marks on dinosaur bones led paleontologists to believe the massive Deinosuchus were an opportunistic predator, according to the press release. Fossil specimens now make it clear that Deinosuchus did indeed have the head size and jaw strength to have its pick of prey, including large dinosaurs.

Despite the nickname "terror crocodiles," Brochu said Deinosuchus were more closely related to alligators than to crocodiles but "didn't look like either one of them."

Deinosuchus had a snout that was long and broad, with the front appearing inflated unlike any other living or extinct crocodylian. On the tip of the snout is a large pair of holes. Researchers are still unsure of their function.

"Crocodiles are actually these incredibly dynamic creatures that have experienced incredible evolutionary histories, have lived in places that modern crocodiles don't live, done things that modern crocodiles don't do and have grown to sizes that modern crocodiles never achieve. That I think is the cool part [of the study], at least for me," Cossette added.

5vFMNri2PKbRYwdDC8SmZkVlEtiPtP3HyDV2PeGw2-mU_sUs_Ee8Pn3a1DkiFk9t7ORZm6kJgW1oErUhHyDGyIDnA2N9jk-Ixd6euqxK3uc6xcWYndVSETGK6KhpzAjAJF2eMiS4KAw

Saya

Oct 25, 2017
Giant crocs scare me so much. They caught this maneater recently in indonesia.

Don't watch the other tweets, they are nsfl. Unless you got the stomach for it.

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017
Damn, time really did a number on gators and sharks huh, basically said "what if but small?" as time rolled on

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Man lazy ass crocodilians really haven't changed at all.
There have actually been a huge number of wildly diverse crocs throughout the history of the planet, it's just none of the other variations ended up proving successful compared to their competition and so only the standard crocs have survived to this day. But stuff like the boar croc (pictured below), and hooved crocs and vegetarian crocs all existed
BoarCroc2.jpg

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
There have actually been a huge number of wildly diverse crocs throughout the history of the planet, it's just none of the other variations ended up proving successful compared to their competition and so only the standard crocs have survived to this day. But stuff like the boar croc (pictured below), and hooved crocs and vegetarian crocs all existed
BoarCroc2.jpg

please, no game of thrones pics, this is a thread about crocs

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I love the surprised expression T-Rex has in the above image.
uFRp6tq8FMchbEcZciUWR6-650-80.jpg.webp

"My arms won't save me from this!"

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
BoarCroc2.jpg
If these still existed I'm pretty sure Florida man wouldn't be a thing

Deleted member 60295

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 28, 2019
If these still existed I'm pretty sure Florida man wouldn't be a thing

They do though. Sort of. It's just that modern day alligators are fucking afraid of humans. Well, except when they're on land, and they get super docile and dopey for some weird reason. Almost like whatever is responsible for creating Florida Man is affecting them too.

Now, their crocodile cousins elsewhere across the planet? They don't fuck around. And humans that live near them and aren't idiots know to stay away, lest they become one of the thousand yearly victims of crocodile attacks.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
I love extinct animals that are basically just living animals today but way larger

Like how the Megalodon was just an oversized great white shark