• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
reading local newspapers from the late 1800s/early 1900s is some wild shit, hearsay and opinion in practically every article
I like the time that Abraham Lincoln pretended to be a woman in a newspaper to insult a politician and got challenged to a duel for it, which he decided to fight with swords on a plank over a pit after his first idea, a duel fought by flinging poo, was rejected.

Jul 1, 2020
The more bizarre headlines probably didn't have that much space on the page available for the story. You couldn't just scale the size of the type to fit more in there it was physical blocks of letters being assembled into a headline.

Vault Boy

Nov 2, 2017
A lot of these are just anachronistic language, like the use of "notable" as a noun.

I feel like I still see headlines all the time that use the present tense to announce deaths. "Betty White Dies at Age 99" etc.

Jamie OD

Oct 27, 2017
Mitosis+ismitosis+is+_d0107259f26c0b86470a0c3399fe5f81.jpg

"Walt Disney is... Walt Disney is...?"

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Can you link the meaning? Can't seem to find it with German Google.
www.merriam-webster.com

Definition of SKEIN

a loosely coiled length of yarn or thread wound on a reel; something suggesting the twists or coils of a skein : tangle; a flock of wildfowl (such as geese or ducks) in flight… See the full definition
  1. a loosely coiled length of yarn or thread wound on a reel
  2. something suggesting the twists or coils of a skein
  3. a flock of wildfowl (such as geese or ducks) in flight
Take your pick.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Can you link the meaning? Can't seem to find it with German Google.
In this particular context you could use the word "tapestry" or something similar to imply that it's a larger picture made of varied things. In Walt Disney's case, it's a massive tapestry of fantastical ideas and places that are made out of a myriad of smaller ideas.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
A lot of these are just anachronistic language, like the use of "notable" as a noun.

I feel like I still see headlines all the time that use the present tense to announce deaths. "Betty White Dies at Age 99" etc.
Yeah that doesn't seem too weird to me either...except the Noon one since you usually don't see specific times.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
"It won't be" and "Santa Claus collapses on the job, dies" had me laughing harder than I have in a long time. I needed that.

Bowling Pin

One Winged Slayer
Dec 9, 2017
I didn't realize they didn't have past tense in the 60s.

pretty good example why you shouldn't use the present tense as the common mode when writing stuff

What's with the present tense

Historical present tense is the standard for newspaper headlines and has been so for many years. The intent is for active verbs to be eyecatching to readers.