• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
WASHINGTON (AP) — Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin, in his first directive since taking office, has given his senior leaders two weeks to send him reports on sexual assault prevention programs in the military, and an assessment of what has worked and what hasn't.

Austin's memo, which went out Saturday, fulfills a commitment he made to senators last week during confirmation hearings. He had vowed to immediately address the problems of sexual assault and harassment in the ranks.

"This is a leadership issue," Austin said in his two-page memo. "We will lead."

Senator after senator demanded to know what Austin planned to do about the problem, which defense and military leaders have grappled with for years. Reports of sexual assaults have steadily gone up since 2006, according to department reports, including a 13% jump in 2018 and a 3% increase in 2019. The 2020 data is not yet available.

The 2018 increase fueled congressional anger over the issue, and lawmakers have repeatedly called for action, including changes in the Code of Military Justice.

"You do agree that we can't keep doing the same thing that we've been doing for the past decade?" Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand, D-N.Y., said during Austin's confirmation hearing. "Do I have your commitment to be relentless on this issue until we can end the scourge of sexual violence in the military?"

Austin agreed, telling senators, "This starts with me and you can count on me getting after this on Day One."

The directive calls for each leader to submit a summary of the sexual assault and harassment measures they have taken in the last year that show promise, and an assessment of those that didn't. And he asked for relevant data for the past decade, including efforts to support victims.

"Include in your report the consideration of novel approaches to any of these areas," he said, adding that "we must not be afraid to get creative."

And Austin said he plans to host a meeting on the matter with senior leaders in the coming days.
apnews.com

Defense chief orders review of military sex assault programs

WASHINGTON (AP) — Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin, in his first directive since taking office, has given his senior leaders two weeks to send him reports on sexual assault prevention programs in the military, and an assessment of what has worked and what hasn't.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
Good. The annual SAPR trainings, while certainly well-meaning, are a complete joke.

Hecht

Pushin’ me down, pushin’ me down, pushin’ me down
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Good. The annual SAPR trainings, while certainly well-meaning, are a complete joke.
I always thought they were awful. It's been a while since I've been in the military, but the whole "if you claim you have been sexually assaulted and want an investigation, you have to give up all your personal info." Basically just asking for retaliation. The other option was "give up no info, and there's no investigation." Like what was the point?

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
I always thought they were awful. It's been a while since I've been in the military, but the whole "if you claim you have been sexually assaulted and want an investigation, you have to give up all your personal info." Basically just asking for retaliation. The other option was "give up no info, and there's no investigation." Like what was the point?
I haven't actually handled a sexual assault prosecution since the early 2010s, which was before Special Victims Counsel, but after the introduction of SARCs and Victim/Witness Advocates and provisions like expedited transfers for victims of sexual assault.

DoD has taken a lot of deserved flak, but I think there's been attempts at progress.

You don't create, advertise, and fill a billet for a GS-12 Victim/Witness Advocate coordinator in the Staff Judge Advocate Office unless you're trying to do something.

I'll say that, based on my admittedly limited experience, I saw three kinds of sexual assaults: (1) family-on-family, which is not a uniquely DoD problem, as tragic as it is; (2) improper superior-subordinate relationships, which ran the gamut from violent to consensual but were always coercive -- and that's a leadership/culture problem; and (3) junior enlisted in the dorms/barracks.

I'm estimating here, but a full 90% of our cases were the third variety.

That's why so much of sexual assault prevention training focused on bystander intervention and pulling young co-workers away before things got bad.

As far as the restricted reporting vs. unrestricted reporting, the point of the former was to get counseling and other benefits without having law enforcement investigate or have the command notified... which, I get it: that places autonomy on the victim, but at the same time, you've still got the perpetrator out there possibly doing the same thing.

That's also why the SARC had situations on file and would sometimes reach out to restricted (confidential) reporting victims and say, "He did it again. Do you want to change your report to unrestricted now?"

It's a mess, but I'll unequivocally say there has been an attempt at fixing the problem. But until the data's collected, I have no idea if it's been effective to any statistically significant degree across any domains or in any situation.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017

I feel like the word "prevention" is kinda important here, and it missing in the title of this thread is maybe a bit unfortunate.

Last edited: