• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Wow. Even while I thought Biden was the worst democrat running for president, what kept me somewhat enthusiastic about him winning the general election was the chance that family separations would finally end. If he doubles down on Trump policy here and his party lets him get away it, I'm completely over the vast majority of the democratic party. If this inhumane policy continues under Biden, I'm not sure if I would be able to vote for Democrats in future elections if I were American

OP
OP

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Wow. Even while I thought Biden was the worst democrat running for president, what kept me somewhat enthusiastic about him winning the general election was the chance that family separations would finally end. If he doubles down on Trump policy here and his party lets him get away it, I'm completely over the vast majority of the democratic party. If this inhumane policy continues under Biden, I'm not sure if I would be able to vote for Democrats in future elections if I were American
A slight correction he probably will reverse the specific Trump policy of purposefully separating families at the border, however if he continues Obama/Muñoz policy on immigration families will still be separated (albeit in lesser numbers than under Trump)

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
Not even a little bit surprising. The ghouls from old guard were always going to try to reintegrate themselves with a Biden presidency.

RocketKiss

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
We can't criticize the decisions of the person whom, we the people, elected yet. The man doesn't work for us just yet!

etrain911

Oct 27, 2017
The man's not even in office yet and we're already shitting on people on a transition team. Not even officially in the administration.

But let me not rain on Rose Twitter shade parade.
Today I learned you're a member of Rose Twitter if you don't want a backer of SEPARATING FAMILIES involved in shaping the administration. Rose Twitter sounding pretty hype tbh.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
It's extremely common, even from people who did not get here legally but managed to eventually get status through much fighting. There's a reason that despite all of Trump's tough immigration talk and policies he gained support within the Latino community.
People are forgetting this, and it's not as simple as "WELP SO MUCH FOR COURTING LATINOS." It's an extremely muddy subject even within the community.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
The man's not even in office yet and we're already shitting on people on a transition team. Not even officially in the administration.

A good snapshot of the next four years folks. Criticism from the left is "Rose Twitter," whatever that means, so we can safely compartmentalize it and disregard it.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
Biden did not waste any time showing his true colors. I mean we saw some of them in the primary, but I was hoping Kamala (who I'm not fond of either) would pull him left. The fight never ends for progressives.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
Geez, looks like we still can't criticize Biden even after him winning the election. For months, all I heard was "Wait until after Biden wins, then push him." Well, he won decisiely, but it is still "too soon" to criticize him apparently. So I guess all that spiel about waiting until after the election was lies? What's going to be the excuse to not criticize Biden come January 21st, 2021? "Hold off on criticizing Biden. We have to win the Senate/hold the House majority in 2022!!"

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Geez, looks like we still can't criticize Biden even after him winning the election. For months, all I heard was "Wait until after Biden wins, then push him." Well, he won decisiely, but it is still "too soon" to criticize him apparently. So I guess all that spiel about waiting until after the election was lies? What's going to be the excuse to not criticize Biden come January 21st, 2021? "Hold off on criticizing Biden. We have to win the Senate/hold the House majority in 2022!!"
How is this helpful? It's just whining.

Oct 26, 2017
I love all the deflection in this thread:

She's only part of the transition team.
He picked her. She's a bad choice. He should pick someone else.

Biden will be better than Trump.
No shit Sherlock. We can still expect better.

It's only Rosé twitter accounts that care.
What is this nonsense.

I guess we're not allowed to call out any decisions by the incoming government that we deem bad and/or disagree with.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
So well said and it's a large reason why I pay little mind to posters who have been saying the same shit over the months no matter what Biden's done. If other posters can only see this situation in absolutes and not in the tangible ways it affects people on a daily basis and improves their lives in meaningful ways, they've lost the plot imo. It's getting harder and harder to maintain decent discourse with people who can't seem to comprehend most matters on anything other than a superficial level. The difference in policy may seem minor when you've got no skin in it, but this shit is life-changing for some. It doesn't mean that that progress can't be made, but we don't have to reduce what is happening down as if it means nothing.

That aside, I don't see this topic producing much good-faith discussion when it's chock full of the same folks engaging in similar patterns of confirmation bias since last year on all matters Biden, so I'll leave it at that.

What's the point of posts like these besides just talking down to people who have criticisms of Joe Biden? I seriously don't understand it. Do you really think this stuff helps explain the nuance or instead just plays defense for the man who is about to become President? What's the goal here? Trump is going to be gone and old news in two months. Like you're implying the criticism is less valid because it was going on during the election...?

ramoisdead

Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately, Biden is going to choose folks who were previously under his administration before that led us to what's been happening now with immigration. I hope people keep on pushing him to not repeat the same mistakes he and Obama did 8 years ago.

AwShucks

Oct 27, 2017
I have no problem with people criticizing Biden for this or any other action but I think acting like one or two or three or a dozen actions makes it a shit show is disingenuous. Half the people in here trash talking were probably in the dozen threads about Biden planning executive orders for a variety of liberal agendas praising him.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
How is this helpful? It's just whining.
You call it "whining," I call it an accurate depiction of how criticism towards Biden was being deflected leading up to the election and a prediction of what's going to happen after Biden is in office. I can be proven wrong, of course, but I don't think I will.

Mar 18, 2020
User Banned (2 Weeks): Trolling over multiple posts; misrepresenting moderation; prior bans for trolling
She definitely looks like an opp. Hope the normal people on the team can get her to wake the fuck up

You call it "whining," I call it an accurate depiction of how criticism towards Biden was being deflected leading up to the election and a prediction of what's going to happen after Biden is in office. I can be proven wrong, of course, but I don't think I will.
Lol

staff was encouraging people to call Biden a pedo rapist until autumn and some people are still rocking this persecution complex

etrain911

Oct 27, 2017
Searching for threads on mobile is a pain in the ass so you can just consider me a liar and we'll leave it at that
Lmfaoooo, so you can't back up the claim that members of the staff of this forum were asking us to call him a rapist pedo? Cool, love to see it. Sounds like you might have a bit of a persecution complex.

etrain911

Oct 27, 2017
cant you guys even come up with original material

parroting part of someone's post is so lazy
Sorry, it's hard to think of good original material like "the staff of this forum wanted to smear Biden by calling him an evil rapist pedo".

The staff here work hard and rather than derailing this thread further, I'll just leave it at that.

Edit: Also backing this claim up with receipts on mobile is too much of a hassle, but I'm lazy?

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Not really surprising, dude was VP during the Obama admin, and they weren't exactly great on immigration back then. I expect them to tone it down quite a bit compared to Trump and Miller, but anyone expecting progressive politics on this issue (and many other ones, for that matter) from Biden of all people is in for a rude awakening.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Well many of us were told to shut up before the election about our concerns of running Biden. So when exactly do you think its ok for us to criticize him? Should we wait 4 years would that be ok with you?

Deleted member 283

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For the people saying "the law is the law" and trying to make that argument....

Were you alive/following politics during the Obama administration?

Because something else I recall happening while Obama was President was Colorado legalizing weed.

However, of course, despite Colorado legalizing it, it was still very much illegal at the federal level.

So what did Obama do?

He simply CHOSE not to use federal resources to enforce those laws in Colorado.

Because that is the power of the Executive Branch.

Laws give then power to enforce said laws, yes.

But it's up to then whether they do or don't.

The power of enforcement, or lack their of, is the purview of the Executive Branch, of which the President is the leader.

Like, this is how stuff like amnesty is able to happen as well. Because laws just give the Executive options. What options they actually choose to use/what they do with them is up to then from there.

No laws actually need to be changed. The President can just choose not to. Just like he chose not to enforce marijuana laws in Colorado.

Stop the nonsense about the law is the law. Because it's just not true or how anything works.

Quixzlizx

Oct 25, 2017
This is so on-brand for neoliberal policy.
This doesn't even make sense, the villainous "neoliberals" love immigrants so they can drive down the cost of labor. Even better if they are undocumented and more easily exploitable.

Makes about as much sense as other posts implying "This person who defended harsh immigration policies is proof Biden doesn't care about the Latino community, this is why Trump gained ground with them in 2020."

????????????????????????????????????????????????????

It should be easy enough to criticize a policy like family separation without stapling nonsense arguments onto it.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Power guards power. It often doesn't make concessions.

Do we have any power over the next admin?

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I'll say this and then peace out from this thread because I can't sit here and read responses from people that pretend to care about immigration yet immigration related news threads get zero replies during Trump's admin. Y'all have zero clue what you are talking about, don't have any understanding about what is going on, you've never worked in this area, yet are prepared to tear people down to win the internet moral high ground.

Unless you can point to evidence that Munoz came up with the "harsh" Obama era policies you are criticizing her for defending when it was her job to do so, you can hush. Why do you not direct any energy at Biden who was Vice President during all of this and also backed the Obama administration? Munoz has worked in immigration advocacy and reform for the majority of her life. She knows all the problems, she's worked with non-profits and within the government bureaucracy. I'm all for her coming on-board if it leads to immigration reform.

Link

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'll say this and then peace out from this thread because I can't sit here and read responses from people that pretend to care about immigration yet immigration related news threads get zero replies during Trump's admin. Y'all have zero clue what you are talking about, don't have any understanding about what is going on, you've never worked in this area, yet are prepared to tear people down to win the internet moral high ground.

Unless you can point to evidence that Munoz came up with the "harsh" Obama era policies you are criticizing her for defending when it was her job to do so, you can hush. Why do you not direct any energy at Biden who was Vice President during all of this and also backed the Obama administration? Munoz has worked in immigration advocacy and reform for the majority of her life. She knows all the problems, she's worked with non-profits and within the government bureaucracy. I'm all for her coming on-board if it leads to immigration reform.
Way too level-headed for this place. Silly me for assuming people here would wait until actual policies were announced before admonishing them.

ThLunarian

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Valid and constructive: "I don't agree with this. It's disappointing and it looks like we need to work to push Biden in the right direction on this."

Defeatist and unhelpful: "Great, it's just like we thought would happen. Democrats are the worst, everything is terrible, I'm never voting again"

You're never going to agree with every decision any president makes. Disagreeing with him is fine. Cancelling him entirely over a single hiring decision is not useful.

Last edited:

etrain911

Oct 27, 2017

Lmao get out of here with this condescending attitude. I don't appreciate the implication that anyone criticizing this doesn't care about immigration policy because we aren't posting in every Trump thread about it, you know what my voice in a Trump administration means? Fuck all. I keep getting told by people like you that we need to "hold Biden accountable" and "push him left", so which is it? Should we just hush because "she was only doing her job" (where have I heard that before?) or do you actually want a coalition? Solid drive-by trolling though, love that you just want to admonish us without actually engaging with anyone.

Last edited:

SteveMeister

Oct 31, 2017
Why not read Biden's actual plans?

Including:
In the first 100 days, a Biden Administration will:

• Immediately reverse the Trump Administration's cruel and senseless policies that separate parents from their children at our border, including ending the prosecution of parents for minor immigration violations as an intimidation tactic, and prioritize the reunification of any children still separated from their families.
I encourage you to read the link above in its entirety.

Oct 25, 2017
You're never going to agree with every decision any president makes. Disagreeing with him is fine. Cancelling him entirely over a single hiring decision is not useful.
Biden doesn't get to wipe his slate clean when he becomes president, so you don't get to argue this decision in a vacuum. He is a politician with a long past who may or may not start changing for the better, and this is something that points to him not changing for the better. Freezing Sanders and Warren out of his cabinet is another sign that he's bent on his old path.

Right now people are worried because Biden is the kind of democrat that could easily lose to Trump or someone else in 2024 and I'm not going to sit idly by any single time that he steers the ship in that direction.

Also this forum is not his campaign office, as a lot of people seem to perceive it to be.

People have a right and a duty to be critical and angry at politicians when they make poor choices. There is nothing, and I mean NOTHING, that really motivates a politician to change except for the threat of losing votes. It's HIS job to stop people from becoming disillusioned.

OP
OP

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Yes I already said he'd reverse that but family separations still happened under Obama without that policy.

Valid and constructive: "I don't agree with this. It's disappointing and it looks like we need to work to push Biden in the right direction on this."

Defeatist and unhelpful: "Great, it's just like we thought would happen. Democrats are the worst, everything is terrible, I'm never voting again"

"Canceling him"? He's the president-elect of the US lmao, I can't cancel him even if I wanted to. And who's being defeatist in here? I'm not being defeatist by confronting the reality of the situation and acknowledging that Biden is who he is and now that he's elected I have very little power to push him left.

Way too level-headed for this place. Silly me for assuming people here would wait until actual policies were announced before admonishing them.
Y'all can make points without being condescending. People don't like Muñoz and they outlined why, criticizing Biden for picking her and Muñoz for her actions is perfectly valid.

Are you trying to say we didn't care about Trump's immigration policies and they got 0 replies on here? Lmfao. And of course people criticize Biden too for being VP during Obama's admin, people are doing it in this very thread right now!

Very convenient to announce you're gonna bow out after posting and you post about how she's been working in immigration reform her whole life yet she fucking sucks and you won't acknowledge how a ton of immigration advocacy groups dislike this pick. dabig2 posted at least one of them iirc

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017

lmao, yes, we know nothing and don't know history.

It's not our job to educate you and other here, but at least y'all can be pointed in the right direction so you can all hop off this strawman, "I'm intelligent and you're not" bullshit.

Celia Munoz is not a victim here. She knew what she was doing and had power to effect and influence positive change instead of the negative shit she defended and argued for years with:

prospect.org

How do You Solve a Problem Like Cecilia?

A once-fierce advocate of immigrant right turns into the Obama administration's mouthpiece on deportations.
When president-elect Barack Obama named Cecilia Muñoz as director of intergovernmental affairs at the White House, Latino nonprofits and media outlets celebrated. Her appointment was viewed as a sign of inclusion for Latinos in government and an example of our growing political power.

Instead, Muñoz has become the administration's Spanish-language mouthpiece on immigration policy.
When answering questions about the rising number of deportations and detentions; the rapid expansion of immigration-enforcement programs like Secure Communities; and the failure to provide short-term, administrative relief in the absence of an immigration-reform bill, Muñoz sounds as if she is reading a script from the Bush era. She has called non-criminals who face deportation or have already been deported "collateral damage" and has repeatedly said halting some deportations via executive order isn't possible, even after 22 Democratic senators penned a letter to the president urging him to do so.
As if reading from the Democratic Party's cue cards, Muñoz has joined the chorus of legislators who blame Republicans for Congress's failure to pass a comprehensive immigration-reform bill or provide relief to the children of undocumented immigrants in the form of the DREAM Act. Most recently, she was quoted in a PBS Frontline special report, Lost in Detention, stating that "as long as Congress gives us money to deport 400,000, that's what we're going to do."

Some independent journalists and organizations have targeted Muñoz for her complicity in sugarcoating the negative impact of Obama's immigration policies on Latino communities. Presente.org currently has a petition demanding she come clean: The organization and signatories have asked Muñoz to return to her advocacy roots and renounce Secure Communities and other policies she is perceived as defending. Some, including progressive radio host Mario Solis-Marich, have called for her resignation.
As a Latina who called for Muñoz's resignation in April of this year,
I think it's dangerous to refrain from criticizing high-ranking members of our own community simply because of their representational value.
Muñoz's value for the White House is clear: As the 2012 election draws closer and the focus narrows on those elusive and mysterious Latino swing votes, Muñoz can put a Latina face on a "commonsense" immigration policy from an administration that has deported over a million people and plans to deport more. The question Cecilia Muñoz must ask herself is what's more important: a political career that betrays her past advocacy or defending the safety and sustainability of immigrants as they face strident immigration laws?

Having your latina advocate do an about face and literally help spearhead some of the worst immigration policies in the country up to that date, and defend it? Yeah, fuck all that.

Hell, I'll help you out and give you something that has a sympathetic bent towards Munoz, but honestly I'm just putting it out there to highlight that people smarter than you or I or anyone else here, who know Munoz unlike you and I or anyone else here, were fighting her constantly. And for a damn good reason

Last week, she was among the West Wing staffers delivering the news to Democrats on Capitol Hill and to activists that Obama would postpone plans to use executive action to defer deportations for many of the nation's 11 million undocumented immigrants.

For Muñoz, 52, it's a role she has played since joining Obama's staff in 2009 after a two-decade career as an outspoken immigrant rights leader. Time and again, Obama has relied on her to justify the immigration policies she fought so fiercely when she was on the other side of the table. Muñoz has been called upon to defend an administration that has deported more than 2 million people, most of them Hispanic. And time and again, she has had to defend a president whose inability to stem many of the removals has disappointed Latino voters, who supported him in record numbers.
The collapse of comprehensive immigration legislation in Congress this summer has raised the stakes for Obama. He pledged in June to use executive authority to remake border-control policies by summer's end. But the White House announced Saturday that he would not act until after the midterm elections in November because of political concerns from jittery Democrats. The news only added to the list of disappointments for Latinos, activists and some Democratic lawmakers.

Advocates who are pushing Obama to grant deportation relief to millions of undocumented immigrants say this represents the last chance for the president — and, by extension, Muñoz — to salvage their legacy in the Hispanic community.

Oh, and you want to talk about holding others accountable? We do and did. One example, lots of interesting stuff mixed up in other threads throughout the years too.
www.resetera.com

Biden responds to immigration question by telling questioner to 'Vote for Trump'

I'm not really a big thread creator but I stirred myself for this one. I have often heard people (usually conservatives) discuss the idea that Democrats marginalize the issues of people of color because they have no choice but to vote against Republicans. I have never before seen a Democrat come...

and then the debates in general, remember those and the defenses as soon as Dems started calling out the Obama era immigration policy?
I saw a Bloomberg headline asking "Why Are Democrats Attacking Obama?", a Politico article headline reading "'Stay away from Barack': Dems seethe over criticism of Obama," and a piece in the Hill titled "Hey, Democrats: Stop attacking our most beloved president in recent history."

This was not at all the debate I saw, but it is useful spin for several different groups. That includes Donald Trump, who quipped to a Thursday night crowd in Cincinnati that "the Democrats spent more time attacking Barack Obama than they did attacking me, practically." It's also, of course, useful spin for former Vice President Joe Biden, who popped out of a diner stop in Detroit on Thursday to say, "I must tell you, I was a little surprised how much the incoming was about Barack."

The timing of this sequence of events should tell you something. The fact that this narrative emerged after actual debate coverage suggested that it stems from Biden spinning it that way. Trump for his own reasons spun it that way, and left-wing intellectuals who really are sharply critical of Obama have also spun it that way.

Turns out when you offer even a little bit of criticism when it comes to the records of Obama and Biden, there's certain people that have defensive reflex, go into protect mode, and try to drive the convo away from pointing at past atrocities or talking about them.

Fuck your internet moral highground strawman dodge, we're arguing for human rights here and there are bad people who have done bad things that escape any and all criticism. Because there's never a time to have a honest talk about it.

ThLunarian

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Freezing Sanders and Warren out of his cabinet is another sign that he's bent on his old path.

There are legitimate Senate majority concerns here. Massachusetts has a Republican governor who could appoint a Republican senator to replace Warren. Bernie Sanders will probably do more good in the Senate than in the cabinet, especially if they get a majority out of GA.

Right now people are worried because Biden is the kind of democrat that could easily lose to Trump or someone else in 2024

Based on.... absolutely nothing. Biden outperformed relative to the Congressional races this year. He knows what he's doing and he knows better than any of us how to get elected.
and I'm not going to sit idly by any single time that he steers the ship in that direction.

Then don't. Voice disagreement with decisions you don't agree with. What I'm objecting to is people who are already throwing their hands up and giving up on the whole administration already.

gogosox82

Oct 25, 2017

I Like how your just leaving instead of replying to what Psychoward and Shironredshift said. Do you just not have a response? Why can't she just quit if she disagrees with the policy? If she disagrees with the policy but stays and then defends it its hard to believe she disagrees with it. And Biden can just chose not to do enforce the policy as the head of the executive branch but instead it looks like he is going to in some form. Why do that when he can just not do it? It doesn't speak highly of you that instead of answering these questions, you condesendingly imply we are too dumb to understand and peace out of the thread.