• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Very very cool

www.democracynow.org

Cecilia Muñoz, Who Defended Family Separations Under Obama, Joins Biden Transition Team

Joe Biden has named President Obama’s former top immigration adviser Cecilia Muñoz to his transition team. During her time in the White House, Muñoz often justified Obama’s harsh immigration enforcement policies, including the administration’s deportation of thousands of Central American...

Joe Biden has named President Obama's former top immigration adviser Cecilia Muñoz to his transition team. During her time in the White House, Muñoz often justified Obama's harsh immigration enforcement policies, including the administration's deportation of thousands of Central American children and its decision to kill an executive order that would have halted deportations.

www.pbs.org

Cecilia Muñoz: "Even Broken Laws Have to be Enforced." | FRONTLINE

Muñoz has dedicated her career to immigration civil rights, both as a MacArthur fellow and as a senior vice president for the National Council of La Raza. She currently serves as President Obama's director of intergovernmental affairs, and explains the administration's current immigration...
Reminder:

Relevant thread

Last edited:

Newlib

Oct 25, 2017
I have read a bunch on her over the past few days and don't view the title of this thread as an accurate description. She was more acknowledging that family separations were happening and asking for law changes to prevent them then she was "defending" family separations.

OP
OP

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I have read a bunch on her over the past few days and don't view the title of this thread as an accurate description. She was more acknowledging that family separations were happening and asking for law changes to prevent them then she was "defending" family separations.
www.pbs.org

Muñoz has dedicated her career to immigration civil rights, both as a MacArthur fellow and as a senior vice president for the National Council of La Raza. She currently serves as President Obama's director of intergovernmental affairs, and explains the administration's current immigration...

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019

Do you have one link? I'd like to confirm this, before I start flipping tables.

*Edit*
NVM, above me.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
"its decision to kill an executive order that would have halted deportations."

Was this a proposed executive order? I'm not familiar with the process, he was president, how did the order came about?

Also the blame falls on Obama first, if Biden takes a different approach I would assume she would follow accordingly. The ball is in Biden's hands on this.

OP
OP

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Do you have one link? I'd like to confirm this, before I start flipping tables.

*Edit*
NVM, above me.
She explicitly defends this shit and says they're going after the criminals and then PBS says 60% of the deported persons weren't criminals and she says that it's the law and they have to go after them (they don't actually) and they'll continue to deport 400k people a year

www.pbs.org

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
www.pbs.org

This makes me feel slightly better-ish?

EDIT: Actually, the interview goes downhill as she's pressed on it. Basically "The law is the law."

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
She explicitly defends this shit and says they're going after the criminals and then PBS says 60% of the deported persons weren't criminals and she says that it's the law and they have to go after them (they don't actually) and they'll continue to deport 400k people a year

www.pbs.org

I know--just finished reading it. These fucking people, so much for hoping this shit was going to change.

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No shit. Here's your normalcy back.

I laughed at the fact checking using Muñoz as one source. There's a goddamn ACLU document right there with dates proving them wrong.

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

www.pbs.org

"It's a law that we have to help slave owners capture their escaped slaves, therefore we must uphold it, even if it's a bad law!"

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
The Biden administration needs to roasted if they make bad choices. There are no free passes for bullshit anymore.

Pekola

Oct 27, 2017
Welcome back to normal, I guess?

How is anyone going to think of ways to push us out of current immigration situation if they believe that "sometimes these things happen"?

The point is, it shouldn't happen. And presenting ourselves as "pragmatic" in the face of inhumane actions makes us worse than people who are open about their bad intentions.

The expectation here isn't that we'll end up without borders these coming two years. That's unrealistic. But if you're just back to buisness as usual, then that's worthless in the face of what we know the cages can be used for (and will be used for, in the future).

Pekola

Oct 27, 2017
Oh also, making excuses about what this all entails? It's inhumane.

If you had all the energy to scream "KIDS IN CAGES!" at people, I'm hoping you'll keep that same energy to go hard af on Biden and co' when immigration is still putting people in cages and at the mercy of ICE.

Deleted member 1476

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Biden administration needs to roasted if they make bad choices. There are no free passes for bullshit anymore.

Get ready for the neverending cycle of:

"The other option was a fascist!"

"This isn't the time to talk about it, you're going to lower the turnout / suppress votes"

"See what you've done? There's nothing we can do now, if only we had won"

OP
OP

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
disappointing. So much for courting the latino vote.
What courting?

www.google.com

Biden campaign doesn't consider Latinos 'part of their path to victory,' political operatives say

Former Vice President Joe Biden's campaign has received some scathing reviews from Latino political experts.Biden's primary campaign had a distant, if not "tense," relationship with Latino voters as he not only neglected to reach out to them but never quite rectified "his connection to the Obama...

Dec 31, 2017
I don't want the honeymoon phase to wear off before inauguration but this ain't it Joe. Familial detention policies aren't great. Separation is just straight up immoral.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
Lemme link you to his second then

www.google.com

Joe Biden COVID Adviser Under Fire for 'I Hope to Die at 75' Article

In a piece for The Atlantic, Ezekiel Emanuel wrote in 2014 that 75 is a "pretty good age to aim to stop."

He's definitely not alone in that opinion, and I don't think it will alter his ability to help Biden curb Covid. Not saying it's a good look, but you tend to garner that feeling when you're subjected to so much pain and misery on a daily basis.

Rangerx

Oct 25, 2017
Dangleberry
So just back to the standard corporate demcrat moral bankruptcy for the next for years then. America can't keep going through this cycle. Picking a shitty big business democrat because the republican candidate is so awful. That will be the choice again four years unless grassroots left wing activists do the real legwork in the democratic party.

OP
OP

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
He's definitely not alone in that opinion, and I don't think it will alter his ability to help Biden curb Covid. Not saying it's a good look, but you tend to garner that feeling when you're subjected to so much pain and misery on a daily basis.
It's more that Biden reached out to another Emmanuel again for some reason.

Also there was a thread on here about the article but it was less about pain and misery and more about how he didn't see a life worth living after your career is over which is really fucking dark. Also it was super ableist! Also probably shouldn't tap a guy who thinks that for your transition team tackling a disease that primarily affects the elderly.

But thats off topic so I digrrss

etrain911

Oct 27, 2017
Biden being exactly who he is? I'm shocked! Shocked, I tell you! 2022 is gonna be a blood bath with people like this making policy.

Deleted member 83122

Banned
Oct 15, 2020
I guess I'm guilty of being in the 'anyone but Trump' crowd, but I just have to hope that even this appointment is a shade better than the baldhead-polarizedwraparound-goatee-yesman who gets a rush of blood into his tiny peen everytime he hears an immigrant scream for their mother. But I know that there are some really great people fighting right now for justice that could have been considered for this role rather than Munoz.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Biden is serious about going back to the Obama admin policies. That means detaining and deporting hundreds of thousands of children. It's disgusting.

OP
OP

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
So just back to the standard corporate demcrat moral bankruptcy for the next for years then. America can't keep going through this cycle. Picking a shitty big business democrat because the republican candidate is so awful. That will be the choice again four years unless grassroots left wing activists do the real legwork in the democratic party.
Problem is the left wing activists will do all the leg work and then just get shit on by the party establishment at every level whether that's by policy, rhetoric, blame, funding etc.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I guess I'm guilty of being in the 'anyone but Trump' crowd, but I just have to hope that even this appointment is a shade better than the baldhead-polarizedwraparound-goatee-yesman who gets a rush of blood into his tiny peen everytime he hears an immigrant scream for their mother. But I know that there are some really great people fighting right now for justice that could have been considered for this role rather than Munoz.
Anything is better than Trump. Biden was the moral choice, but that means anyone would've been. At the end of the day, people don't want to hop between two ultimately bad choices.

They want something better.

LifeLine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For all of us that settled for Biden, this is the time to keep fighting. Don't let him get away it

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
What courting?

www.google.com

Biden campaign doesn't consider Latinos 'part of their path to victory,' political operatives say

Former Vice President Joe Biden's campaign has received some scathing reviews from Latino political experts.Biden's primary campaign had a distant, if not "tense," relationship with Latino voters as he not only neglected to reach out to them but never quite rectified "his connection to the Obama...
Biden was never even remotely interested in courting Latinos.
My hope was that the results of the 2020 election would have changed that.

Still early I guess, so anything's possible. But this news here isn't inspiring, to say the least.

My hope was that the results of the 2020 election would have changed that.

Still early I guess, so anything's possible. But this news here isn't inspiring, to say the least.
The party has a very big problem with taking minority votes for granted. I have no idea whether or not that's going to change going forward but it's going to be on them to prove me wrong.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The mindset here is pretty stark and horrible imo. Basically "reform is needed but hasn't happened, so until then we have to enforce the laws as written" meanwhile reform is going nowhere because conservatives are obstructing any kind of progress so they can fear monger about immigration for votes, and the actually 'enforcement' of these laws is being done in an incredibly inhumane manner which is destroying hundreds of thousands of lives. Doesn't occur to them they could just...not enforce the law in that manner, or it does but they don't care/there is money to be made from doing things this way.

Also the "kids in cages/baby prisons" line doesn't work as well as it should because the US incarcerates 48,000 juveniles who are citizens, kids in cages is commonplace here.

Last edited: