• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For sure. Or maybe they don't care because it probably won't affect them that much?

I don't know. Either way it's weird to me that people are tripping over themselves to call this shameful when the only party that stands to lose something doesn't seem to care.
I wouldnt trust Deep Silver anymore in case they try to pull another bait and switch promoting their games on one platform and suddenly they disappear. But that's just me.
[/QUOTE]
It's not a bait and switch because they still get the game so

Deleted member 3897

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why won't you be able to play it for another year? Can't you just get it on the Epic store instead of the Steam store? It's still the same game on the same machine, right?

Because:

eqq5piqizfd21.jpg

RionaaM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Then... he's wrong?

If anything, this is sillier than one console versus another. At least there, you're sort of hitching your wagon to one $300-500 machine vs another unless you've got money for both.

This is which completely free executable you are running, the one owned by the billion dollar company that's going to be around for years with or without your allegiance, or the one owned by the other billion dollar company that's going to be around for years with or without your allegiance.

I also brought up iPhones. It was an analogy.

Last night I played Stellaris on PC before sneaking in a few AC Odyssey missions on Xbox. And then I woke up this morning and played some Diablo on Switch over my coffee before work. I ain't about that Platform Warz life.
Er, good for you? What does any of that have to do with having my choice of store and platform removed when it comes to the PC version? You started talking about how competition was good, I explained how this isn't always the case, and now you're talking about platform wars. If you're sincerely not trolling, I'd say you're not doing a very good job expressing your point.

Deleted member 3196

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yikes, I wasn't trying to be inflammatory. And please correct anything I may have said wrong.

Why won't you be able to play it for another year? Can't you just get it on the Epic store instead of the Steam store? It's still the same game on the same machine, right?
There are plenty of reasons why some people can't do that. Availability of the store, for starters. Or regional pricing. And some people don't trust Epic with their data (and with good reason).

Some people use Steam features and functionality that may not work properly if the game can't be added to Steam as a non-Steam game (I'm not sure if this is the case with Epic Store games). Universal controller (and Steam Controller) support won't work, neither will In-Home Streaming for Steam Link users. If your PC is hooked up to your TV, launching the game from Steam Big Picture is also more problematic.

Then there's the community support features, broadcasting, friend list, achievements and other platform features that some people value.

Thekeats

Nov 1, 2017
There is absolutely nothing intertwined about timed exclusivity and marketing on a platform you have yet to release on. There have been plenty of games with staggered PC launches or console exclusivity for a limited amount of time that have a Steam store page pushing marketing materials either before the console version releases or after the console version releases, but before the Steam/PC version releases. This is a non-issue.

This is only being made into an issue because "Metro exclusivity bad" and "Epic bad" discussion (which, Metro exclusivity is bad) is bleeding into this discussion and being conflated with it. If your intent is to point out that Epic lacks the ability to push marketing materials on the Epic Games Store, that's absolutely a fair criticism of their platform. I don't think, however, that it is backwards of Deep Silver to continue pushing marketing materials on a storefront that their game will come to in 2020. My assumption is that even if there was a place on the Epic Games Store to market in such a manner, which there absolutely should be, Deep Silver would continue to also market on the Steam storefront as well.

If you are trying to bring exclusivity into the conversation to point that Deep Silver signed an exclusivity deal with a company and storefront that doesn't even have a place to market games like this, then this is really no different than any other thread discussing the Metro exclusivity deal as it is simply another facet of it. Deep Silver marketing the game on Steam though isn't an issue given the eventual release to Steam. And, as you said, it isn't an abuse of the publisher/developer agreement because, as I've highlighted previously, plenty of other developers engage in this same practice (marketing on Steam when they're already releasing on a console/platform) too.

In truth, I don't understand why any consumer cares if the game has marketing material posted on Steam or not. It doesn't impact the consumer in any way. Yes, the exclusivity does, but as I addressed previously if you're simply using this to further criticize the Metro exclusivity deal, then this thread should be closed and brought back into the general Metro exclusivity deal discussion.

Up to a point i would agree with you. My issue would be the lack of a steam logo with a coming in 2020. People now know it is coming later, the page they are viewing it on says as much. But the trailer makes no mention of the fact.

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
Up to a point i would agree with you. My issue would be the lack of a steam logo with a coming in 2020. People now know it is coming later, the page they are viewing it on says as much. But the trailer makes no mention of the fact.

This is something generally dictated by contracts, and I am sure part of the legal agreement with Epic Games prohibits them from doing that.

Airbar

Oct 26, 2017
Yikes, I wasn't trying to be inflammatory. And please correct anything I may have said wrong.

Not on Linux. Epic won't support Linux despite shitting on Microsoft and Windows for years. At the same time Valve is heavily investing in people being able to play any game on Linux, despite the devs only delivering a Win version. So Valve is doing a lot for me as a customer while Epic is just taking a huge dump on me and consequently also the publishers/developers that accelt these deals. Which brings me to the next point: Epic isn't dealing with indie devs, they are doing these deals with mid tier publishers so the argument that it at least benefits the devs to release on EGS is probably false as well because I don't expect the 18% to trickle down to the development studios themselves.
Everything Epic is doing right now is to make Valve and Steam a worse store instead of actually competing im features and benefits to both customers and developers.
Epic is a nasty company and iirc they actually encourage companies to use Steam for forums, bug reports, marketing et al. so they don't have to spend the resources on that stuff.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know. Either way it's weird to me that people are tripping over themselves to call this shameful when the only party that stands to lose something doesn't seem to care.
It's not a bait and switch because they still get the game so[/QUOTE]
But the promotional materials are still there. You go into the game store page and now there's no game unless you already preordered. Maybe I misused the phrase but dunno, it is a weird situation.

Deleted member 15440

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not on Linux. Epic won't support Linux despite shitting on Microsoft and Windows for years. At the same time Valve is heavily investing in people being able to play any game on Linux, despite the devs only delivering a Win version. So Valve is doing a lot for me as a customer while Epic is just taking a huge dump on me and consequently also the publishers/developers that accelt these deals. Which brings me to the next point: Epic isn't dealing with indie devs, they are doing these deals with mid tier publishers so the argument that it at least benefits the devs to release on EGS is probably false as well because I don't expect the 18% to trickle down to the development studios themselves.
Everything Epic is doing right now is to make Valve and Steam a worse store instead of actually competing im features and benefits to both customers and developers.
Epic is a nasty company and iirc they actually encourage companies to use Steam for forums, bug reports, marketing et al. so they don't have to spend the resources on that stuff.
not that it excuses this situation but i think linux steam is adding support for non-steam windows games

OmegaX

Oct 28, 2017
Valve is lazy or just do not care to do anything in this regards.
Valve tries to solve everything with an algorithm or make the user do their work for them until they can't anymore or it backfires. Remember Greenlight? Charging for Skyrim mods that weren't even made by the people selling them? I wonder what they'll come up with this time.

Thekeats

Nov 1, 2017
This is something generally dictated by contracts, and I am sure part of the legal agreement with Epic Games prohibits them from doing that.

Aye, probably right. But it just makes epics decision to not have this media available on their own store instead of a competitors where people might spend money seems all the more idiotic.

Moot point as the trailer is gone anyway.

Uraizen

Oct 26, 2017
I don't even see a steam logo at the end of that trailer. They're only advertising the EGS release. Pretty scummy move on their part.

Edit: Ah, I see it's gone now? Good, get EGS to implement this feature.

Fid

Jun 5, 2018
Detroit

There are plenty of reasons why some people can't do that. Availability of the store, for starters. Or regional pricing. And some people don't trust Epic with their data (and with good reason).

Some people use Steam features and functionality that may not work properly if the game can't be added to Steam as a non-Steam game (I'm not sure if this is the case with Epic Store games). Universal controller (and Steam Controller) support won't work, neither will In-Home Streaming for Steam Link users. If your PC is hooked up to your TV, launching the game from Steam Big Picture is also more problematic.

Then there's the community support features, broadcasting, friend list, achievements and other platform features that some people value.

Ah, that makes sense if you're into or require those features (though you can still add non-steam games to your library, right? That would solve a few of those). Thanks for the clarification.

Hopefully Epic/Deep Silver see the sales reflect the desire for those features to the point of waiting for the steam release and it drives them to beefing up the EGS offerings. Competition, y'all!
Er, good for you? What does any of that have to do with having my choice of store and platform removed when it comes to the PC version? You started talking about how competition was good, I explained how this isn't always the case, and now you're talking about platform wars. If you're sincerely not trolling, I'd say you're not doing a very good job expressing your point.

Perhaps I'm not, but you were calling out some really specific ways in which consoles need improvement and ignoring the ways in which having competitors helped shape them for the better. Look how much of the PS4 took from 360 and how it crushed Xbox One in doing so, so now Xbox is coming up with awesome stuff like Gamepass and extensive Backwards Compatibility

OP
OP
LewieP

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
There is absolutely nothing intertwined about timed exclusivity and marketing on a platform you have yet to release on. There have been plenty of games with staggered PC launches or console exclusivity for a limited amount of time that have a Steam store page pushing marketing materials either before the console version releases or after the console version releases, but before the Steam/PC version releases. This is a non-issue.

This is only being made into an issue because "Metro exclusivity bad" and "Epic bad" discussion (which, Metro exclusivity is bad) is bleeding into this discussion and being conflated with it. If your intent is to point out that Epic lacks the ability to push marketing materials on the Epic Games Store, that's absolutely a fair criticism of their platform. I don't think, however, that it is backwards of Deep Silver to continue pushing marketing materials on a storefront that their game will come to in 2020. My assumption is that even if there was a place on the Epic Games Store to market in such a manner, which there absolutely should be, Deep Silver would continue to also market on the Steam storefront as well.

If you are trying to bring exclusivity into the conversation to point that Deep Silver signed an exclusivity deal with a company and storefront that doesn't even have a place to market games like this, then this is really no different than any other thread discussing the Metro exclusivity deal as it is simply another facet of it. Deep Silver marketing the game on Steam though isn't an issue given the eventual release to Steam. And, as you said, it isn't an abuse of the publisher/developer agreement because, as I've highlighted previously, plenty of other developers engage in this same practice (marketing on Steam when they're already releasing on a console/platform) too.

In truth, I don't understand why any consumer cares if the game has marketing material posted on Steam or not. It doesn't impact the consumer in any way. Yes, the exclusivity does, but as I addressed previously if you're simply using this to further criticize the Metro exclusivity deal, then this thread should be closed and brought back into the general Metro exclusivity deal discussion.

Of course they are intertwined. Both are only happening in this instance because the publisher took money from Epic to launch exclusively on Epic rather than on many stores, allowing customers to pick which best suited them.

If Deep Silver want to market their game to the Steam userbase, they shouldn't take money off Epic to deprive the Steam userbase of the game.

It highlights the antagonistic turn that Deep Silver have taken with their relationship with their customers.

And yes Epic should indeed sort out extremely basic functionality like being able to show a new trailer before seeking to remove games from competing stores.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
These are scheduled posts and not actually being done by someone. Probably set these up months ago.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not a bait and switch because they still get the game so
But the promotional materials are still there. You go into the game store page and now there's no game unless you already preordered. Maybe I misused the phrase but dunno, it is a weird situation.[/QUOTE]
How is that bad though? If you still want the game you just go to the Epic Store. It's at the very most like 5 seconds of inconvenience.

Deleted member 3196

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ah, that makes sense if you're into those features (though you can still add non-steam games to your library, right? That would solve a few of those). Thanks for the clarification.
Yeah, but some store DRM obstructs adding games to Steam. Not sure if that's the case with Epic Store games. Someone will eventually make a workaround, but they aren't ideal.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Of course they are intertwined. Both are only happening in this instance because the publisher took money from Epic to launch exclusively on Epic rather than on many stores, allowing customers to pick which best suited them.

If Deep Silver want to market their game to the Steam userbase, they shouldn't take money off Epic to deprive the Steam userbase of the game.

It highlights the antagonistic turn that Deep Silver have taken with their relationship with their customers.

And yes Epic should indeed sort out extremely basic functionality like being able to show a new trailer before seeking to remove games from competing stores.
They're still getting the game eventually, would you prefer if the ads were delayed as well?

ohitsluca

Oct 29, 2017
First party exclusivity vs 3rd party timed exclusivity. How is this that difficult to understand, I will never know.
Notice how no one reasonable is mad that Bloodborne is not on PC or that Fortnite is only on the Epic Launcher.
Notice how people were mad when Microsoft bought timed exclusivity for Tomb Raider.

Strange I don't remember that outrage for Rise of the tomb raider. I remember people being disappointed, or just plain shock that it was exclusive... But I don't remember previous Tomb raider games being review bombed and shit

Another example... How about Ultimate Alliance 3. Where is the outrage there? Are previous titles being review bombed? Seems like most of the outrage is solely around epic games store tbh

Airbar

Oct 26, 2017
not that it excuses this situation but i think linux steam is adding support for non-steam windows games
There is support for non Steam games but without a Linux version of thr Epic launcher there is rn no way to legally obtain the game from them if you are on Linux. E.g. I can run all my GOG Win games through Steam on Linux without any problems at all.

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
Strange I don't remember that outrage for Rise of the tomb raider. I remember people being disappointed, or just plain shock that it was exclusive... But I don't remember previous Tomb raider games being review bombed and shit

Rise of the Tomb Raider wasn't going to be released on PS4 up until 2 weeks before release, unless I'm sorely mistaken.

Sandersson

Banned
Feb 5, 2018
Steam bad, Epic good, has to be done because Steam monopoly, you will love the competing ONE storefront with higher prices and the lack of most basic features. But hey, maybe in 20 years, it can be kinda better, so you better buy, buy, buy..

Ebullientprism

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's pathetic.

Because people don't want to support a race to the bottom strategy executed without regard for customer-facing features. For more information, read any other thread on the topic.

But if you are buying it a year later then you are supporting it. Infact you are encouraging it by saying "Hey its fine if you did it, you can still have my money".

I think we will all miss the amazing Steam workshop mods this game would have had. And the item trading. Plus being able to add games to my wish list makes my ingame experience way better.

Out of curiosity, do you not use Origin, Uplay, Battlenet etc?

Deleted member 15440

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There is support for non Steam games but without a Linux version of thr Epic launcher there is rn no way to legally obtain the game from them if you are on Linux. E.g. I can run all my GOG Win games through Steam on Linux without any problems at all.
yeah i supposed you'd have to have a windows partition or VM just to download it

Fid

Jun 5, 2018
Detroit
Steam bad, Epic good, has to be done because Steam monopoly, you will love the competing ONE storefront with higher prices and the lack of most basic features. But hey, maybe in 20 years, it can be kinda better, so you better buy, buy, buy..
Actually, don't buy. That's how to send the message that those things matter to you.

yuraya

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty funny how the entire industry has become obsessed with how the Steam users money should be distributed among publishers, developers and storefronts.

Yet as soon as a Steam user complains about something..they are told to stop being toxic. Told to stop worrying about it. Told that the developer can do what they want. etc Why should you care etc.

Developer is literally taunting steam users who weren't able to preorder the game a few days ago and now have to wait a year to do so...and here people will say these developers should get more cut from my money. Fucking please.

Deleted member 32374

Banned
Nov 10, 2017

These features really do mean something. If you don't use steam, it easy to overlook these features. Don't. They have been a godsend for information, organization, migrating games from OS to OS and machine to machine, meeting up with peeps. Best of all, these features all work right from the steam client. Just yesterday I brushed up on how to get GFWL installed on my Windows 8.1 machine in 2019, so I could launch and set up a few titles. Walkthroughs and guides have been super easy to access, no google needed.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017

Another example... How about Ultimate Alliance 3. Where is the outrage there? Are previous titles being review bombed? Seems like most of the outrage is solely around epic games store tbh

Uh yeah, people flipped out over Tomb Raider.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
That would make it even funnier. Would just go to show this being the last minute moneyhat it is, so much so zero thought went into current ongoing marketing.
I mean wasn't there that one game that showed it's debut trailer with the steam logo still and it was a EGS launch title as well?

Oct 25, 2017
These are scheduled posts and not actually being done by someone. Probably set these up months ago.
This trailer shows Epic Store logo at the end, and the previous trailers (actually I think the last one was just a few days ago) had Steam logo, so that's definitely not the case here.

Ascheroth

Oct 25, 2017

Because you can't leave reviews for games on console storefronts ;=)
There was plenty outrage around these parts tho. (Don't remember if it was Era or Gaf).
And because the Tomb Rider situation is still pretty mild compared to this. See:
Rise of the Tomb Raider wasn't going to be released on PS4 up until 2 weeks before release, unless I'm sorely mistaken.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
The Tomb Raider decision was never a full exclusive though Microsoft had to be kicked and dragged in the press to admit it was a timed one

That was a really messy affair

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is which completely free executable you are running, the one owned by the billion dollar company that's going to be around for years with or without your allegiance, or the one owned by the other billion dollar company that's going to be around for years with or without your allegiance.
You mean the billion dollar company that dumped the pc for no reason other than they had an exclusive game on xbox and they said "piracy" than has a game that takes off but doesn't seem to put any work into their store but buys exclusivity for a year on multiple games just because and people are suppose to be okay with this? What happens if and when Epic decides they are done with the pc again?

At least the one company stayed and supported the pc to help keep it viable and growing.

And yet there weren't people stanning over and justifying the Tomb Raider decision so hard in this fashion.
There absolutely was, It always happens.

Last edited:

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
The Tomb Raider decision was never a full exclusive though Microsoft had to be kicked and dragged in the press to admit it was a timed one

That was a really messy affair

Well both are timed exclusives and both Steam and Xbox are platforms so I don't see much difference.

The fact that the reaction to TR was so vociferous that MS had to admit it was timed shows the level of feeling over buying 3rd party exclusivity, as we're seeing again now... as long as it doesn't affect you.
Xbox owners then and now people that don't use Steam just told everyone else to get over it.

ohitsluca

Oct 29, 2017
Because you can't leave reviews for games on console storefronts ;=)
There was plenty outrage around these parts tho. (Don't remember if it was Era or Gaf).
And because the Tomb Rider situation is still pretty mild compared to this. See:

They could have review bomb the original tomb raider on steam ??

they honored the steam preorders and will release again on steam. And people can buy it at a lower price on Epic if they want to. It's a single player game so friends list/multiplayer isn't an issue. Sounds pretty mild to me. Are you actually affected by this or just upset by proxy?

Ionic

Oct 31, 2017
Vive/Oculus/PSVR exclusive titles were fine, but this suddenly crosses the line?

A sizeable part of the VR community went bonkers when Facebook started buying exclusive rights to games that were originally going to come out on multiple headsets. You may have not been paying attention.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
They could have review bomb the original tomb raider on steam ??

they honored the steam preorders and will release again on steam. And people can buy it at a lower price on Epic if they want to. It's a single player game so friends list/multiplayer isn't an issue. Sounds pretty mild to me. Are you actually affected by this or just upset by proxy?
Are you implying that people should only care and discuss something if it directly affects them?