• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Like how other companies let people make zero cost keys to sell on other stores?

Oh wait only Valve allows that.

Great, that still doesn't change what I said or their inaction since Epic began their "assault" on them. Valve can get away with it because they are privately owned. If they had to answer to shareholders they would have a very different outlook on things.

Like I said earlier, interesting to see from afar. I want to see how things shakeout down the road.

PS. I have no dog in the fight. I am genuinely fascinated by Valve's behavior.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Why can't Deep Silver market it on the EGS? Because EGS doesn't have the feature where publishers can market their game.
This is another pathetic failure for the Epic Store. Forcing devs to use SteamVR, and troubleshoot on the Steam community forums, because you don't have those basic-ass features yourself...

Deleted member 2152

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I assume it's automated in some way, or for the people who pre-ordered game and will receive the Steam version.

Still a bit silly, but probably better than the alternative of having the news feed be dead for a year for people who own the Steam version.
Considering it has the EGS release date and logo, either the exclusivity deal was not as unexpected as they claim (if it was automated) or they manually put the new trailer up. I don't think it's a huge deal, but it is funny.

Deleted member 3897

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is another pathetic failure for the Epic Store. Forcing devs to use SteamVR, and troubleshoot on the Steam community forums, because you don't have those basic-ass features yourself...

I bet a lot of devs and publishers that pulls their game from Steam will use features that Valve provides them via Steam to help out people that plays the EGS version.

Sad and pathethic.

It has already happened with Ashen, a game that was suppose to release on Steam, got pulled and now the devs are using the Steam forums to help out EGS buyers. This will probably happen to Metro and many other games.

Devs and pubs using Steam to communicate with EGS owners.

Chrome Hyena

Oct 30, 2017
This is ridiculous. The entire Epic Game Store thing is ridiculous and shady. Have Epic build this shit on their platform.

Oh but then they wouldnt get the millions of eyes on the game.

Take5GiantSteps

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ohio
I'm still just shocked that the communication is so poor between all parties. What a clusterfuck. I guess I'm glad that I'm getting the PS4 version.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
Valve should lock down the store page at this point then, unless they pay for ad space, that's bloody shameful.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
If Valve doesn't care that they are using Steam to promote other platforms I'm not sure why anyone else should. More power to them .

Deleted member 49535

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
I can imagine how different would have been reactions if, hypothetically, Rise of the Tomb Raider was originally multiplatform, then 2 weeks before release date Microsoft bought exclusivity rights and delayed it for 1 year for other platforms, and then Square keept posting new videos about the game on official Playstation channels. But it's still coming to other platforms and their target audience is also on playstation too, so why would anyone be mad, right?
It might have something to do with the fact that getting an Xbox is 400 dollars or whatever and downloading the Epic store client is free.

Driggonny

Oct 26, 2017
I would think everything Deepsilver has done with this game wouldn't be allowed. That would probably go against Valve's laissez faire ethos though I guess.

Fid

Jun 5, 2018
Detroit
Guys, competition is good. What are you all mad at Epic and Deep Silver for?

You think Playstation/Xbox, iOS/Android, etc would be half as good without their competitors?

Things like this make companies innovate and compete and that's a win for you, the consumer.

Valve not pulling this stuff down is pretty pro-consumer, which is great. Just like Sony allowing cross-play for PS4 or Nintendo allowing Minecraft to connect to Xbox Live.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni

You think Playstation/Xbox, iOS/Android, etc would be half as good without their competitors?

Things like this make companies innovate and compete and that's a win for you, the consumer.

Valve not pulling this stuff down is pretty pro-consumer, which is great. Just like Sony allowing cross-play for PS4 or Nintendo allowing Minecraft to connect to Xbox Live.

You almost got me until I read the last part

Well played 😂

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017

I can't even tell anymore.

giphy.gif

RionaaM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Oh yes, the mighty competitive console makers that charge me for online multiplayer and cloud saves (except for MS this gen, regarding the latter). Nintendo, the company that can't compete with itself and released a barebones console in 2017, with less features than any of its previous products. Xbox, which started all this paying for online shit and tried to bring that to PC too (fortunately it failed). Yeah, this sounds exactly like the kind of competition I want!

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not for much longer. Valve is going to react to this.

Unless these exclusivities hurts their user base really hard or Epic starts putting even more money to get bigger publishers, I don't expect Valve to do anything in the short term.

Probably not in the way people expects (lowering their share) rather than get into the exclusivity war.

Oct 27, 2017
Mount Airy, MD
I feel like these reactions don't make much sense considering that Steam is full of games with pre-order pages and pre-release trailers for said games, regardless of what the release date is.

Hell, I'm pretty sure they've had pre-order pages for games coming to Steam long after console release, and no one was bothered by that.

The particulars of this last-minute change are annoying, but nothing about them continuing to advertise the game which is still coming to the platform is weird/wrong/etc. IMO.

OP
OP
LewieP

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like these reactions don't make much sense considering that Steam is full of games with pre-order pages and pre-release trailers for said games, regardless of what the release date is.

Hell, I'm pretty sure they've had pre-order pages for games coming to Steam long after console release, and no one was bothered by that.

The particulars of this last-minute change are annoying, but nothing about them continuing to advertise the game which is still coming to the platform is weird/wrong/etc. IMO.
Can you name any similar examples where the publisher accepted payment to delay the Steam release?

Fid

Jun 5, 2018
Detroit
Oh yes, the mighty competitive console makers that charge me for online multiplayer and cloud saves (except for MS this gen, regarding the latter). Nintendo, the company that can't compete with itself and released a barebones console in 2017, with less features than any of its previous products. Xbox, which started all this paying for online shit and tried to bring that to PC too (fortunately it failed). Yeah, this sounds exactly like the kind of competition I want!

Are... you making a PC vs console argument in 2019? Doesn't everyone have both at this point? Why can't we like All The Things?

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
Is this any different from games that are exclusive to consoles and have a Steam page about the game coming to PC? For example, Monster Hunter World released in January 2018, yet it continued to have a steam page with updates, etc. If you think of Metro as coming to Steam with a release date in 2020, it doesn't seem that much different than any other title that was exclusive or had a staggered PC release.

I'm also not sure why people are upset at this. Why you worried about their marketing on Steam? It doesn't hurt you as a consumer. The only thing it could potentially hurt is Valve. Yeah, the last minute change of release platform is awful as is the exclusivity, but this specific issue doesn't seem like an issue at all because it is common place within the Steam marketplace already and isn't impacting consumers (treating this as separate from the timing/exclusivity issue).

collige

Oct 31, 2017

The difference here is that the game isn't up for pre-order anymore because of the deal. It's releasing next month, it's just no longer being sold. While the FAQ does say that the exclusivity is limited, this isn't (and probably can't be) reflected on the store page since they still have to honor their existing pre-orders for the original date. You can't pre-order the 2020 Steam release.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how though. Would it even be possible for Valve to fine publishers who pull games from steam last second?
Fines aren't necessary I think, Valve should just remove Steam pages and forums of games that went exclusive to another storefront. There is really no need to have Steam pages running for Metro or Ashen for entire year. Valve could re-enable these pages a month before release date.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
No. Shut the fuck up and get mad on behalf of a billion dollar company whose feelings could be hurt.
fr tho, i feel like people on this forum are taking this way more seriously than valve is

i don't know how you can get emotionally invested in how a publisher chooses to market their game

RionaaM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are... you making a PC vs console argument in 2019? Doesn't everyone have both at this point? Why can't we like All The Things?
Given that you were the one who brought up consoles in the first place, I don't see why it's wrong when I do that but it's OK when you do.

Fid

Jun 5, 2018
Detroit
No, he's saying your argument makes no sense.
Then... he's wrong?

If anything, this is sillier than one console versus another. At least there, you're sort of hitching your wagon to one $300-500 machine vs another unless you've got money for both.

This is which completely free executable you are running, the one owned by the billion dollar company that's going to be around for years with or without your allegiance, or the one owned by the other billion dollar company that's going to be around for years with or without your allegiance.

Given that you were the one who brought up consoles in the first place, I don't see why it's wrong when I do that but it's OK when you do.

I also brought up iPhones. It was an analogy.

Last night I played Stellaris on PC before sneaking in a few AC Odyssey missions on Xbox. And then I woke up this morning and played some Diablo on Switch over my coffee before work. I ain't about that Platform Warz life.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Then Valve should not let them market the game until it's released next year.

Why can't Deep Silver market it on the EGS? Because EGS doesn't have the feature where publishers can market their game.

Why does it matter when Valve lets them market it? Like why do you care? Honestly? This seems like such a strange thing to get worked up about.

Airbar

Oct 26, 2017
Then... he's wrong?

If anything, this is sillier than one console versus another. At least there, you're sort of hitching your wagon to one $300-500 machine vs another unless you've got money for both.

This is which completely free executable you are running, the one owned by the billion dollar company that's going to be around for years with or without your allegiance, or the one owned by the other billion dollar company that's going to be around for years with or without your allegiance.
Maybe inform yourself better before coming in such a thread with your low effort inflammatory take on why we as consumers (that won't be able to play the game for another year now) should be happy about one of the shadier companies in the industry gracing us with their needless new launcher. They don't add anything of value to the PC gaming market but instead disrupt the market by limiting availability and access to games.

Tart Toter 9K

Oct 25, 2017
Then... he's wrong?

No, it's not just about the launcher. It's about the store and where you can actually purchase the games. The steam platform is different from the steam store. You can use the steam platform to play all your games without ever interacting with the steam store. The same can not be said about EGL.

ohitsluca

Oct 29, 2017
What exactly is the problem here? The steam version still exists for anyone that pre-ordered up until a couple days ago, and (unless I'm mistaken) the game will be back on steam at a later date so why can't they put out trailers for the game on that platform?

We're OK with console exclusivity but not PC exclusivity? Vive/Oculus/PSVR exclusive titles were fine, but this suddenly crosses the line?

Can we all just not be angry about something for 5 minutes lol

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
They are entirely intertwined.

There is absolutely nothing intertwined about timed exclusivity and marketing on a platform you have yet to release on. There have been plenty of games with staggered PC launches or console exclusivity for a limited amount of time that have a Steam store page pushing marketing materials either before the console version releases or after the console version releases, but before the Steam/PC version releases. This is a non-issue.

This is only being made into an issue because "Metro exclusivity bad" and "Epic bad" discussion (which, Metro exclusivity is bad) is bleeding into this discussion and being conflated with it. If your intent is to point out that Epic lacks the ability to push marketing materials on the Epic Games Store, that's absolutely a fair criticism of their platform. I don't think, however, that it is backwards of Deep Silver to continue pushing marketing materials on a storefront that their game will come to in 2020. My assumption is that even if there was a place on the Epic Games Store to market in such a manner, which there absolutely should be, Deep Silver would continue to also market on the Steam storefront as well.

If you are trying to bring exclusivity into the conversation to point that Deep Silver signed an exclusivity deal with a company and storefront that doesn't even have a place to market games like this, then this is really no different than any other thread discussing the Metro exclusivity deal as it is simply another facet of it. Deep Silver marketing the game on Steam though isn't an issue given the eventual release to Steam. And, as you said, it isn't an abuse of the publisher/developer agreement because, as I've highlighted previously, plenty of other developers engage in this same practice (marketing on Steam when they're already releasing on a console/platform) too.

In truth, I don't understand why any consumer cares if the game has marketing material posted on Steam or not. It doesn't impact the consumer in any way. Yes, the exclusivity does, but as I addressed previously if you're simply using this to further criticize the Metro exclusivity deal, then this thread should be closed and brought back into the general Metro exclusivity deal discussion.

Thekeats

Nov 1, 2017
What exactly is the problem here? The steam version still exists for anyone that pre-ordered up until a couple days ago, and (unless I'm mistaken) the game will be back on steam at a later date so why can't they put out trailers for the game on that platform?

We're OK with console exclusivity but not PC exclusivity? Vive/Oculus/PSVR exclusive titles were fine, but this suddenly crosses the line?

Can we all just not be angry about something for 5 minutes lol

The problem here is that Epic in there infinate wisdom have not given people the ability to post promotional material.

Steam does. This video contains a release dat that only applies to Epic and the Epic logo.

Nothing illegal but a shitty practice.

Fid

Jun 5, 2018
Detroit
Maybe inform yourself better before coming in such a thread with your low effort inflammatory take on why we as consumers (that won't be able to play the game for another year now) should be happy about one of the shadier companies in the industry gracing us with their needless new launcher. They don't add anything of value to the PC gaming market but instead disrupt the market by limiting availability and access to games.

Yikes, I wasn't trying to be inflammatory. And please correct anything I may have said wrong.

Why won't you be able to play it for another year? Can't you just get it on the Epic store instead of the Steam store? It's still the same game on the same machine, right?

Ascheroth

Oct 25, 2017
First party exclusivity vs 3rd party timed exclusivity. How is this that difficult to understand, I will never know.
Notice how no one reasonable is mad that Bloodborne is not on PC or that Fortnite is only on the Epic Launcher.
Notice how people were mad when Microsoft bought timed exclusivity for Tomb Raider.