• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
[Decrypt] After Backlash, Ubisoft Calls Gaming NFTs a 'Major Change That Will Take Time'

Today, Ubisoft announced a partnership with Aleph.im to provide decentralized storage for its NFT assets, which are called "Digits" on the Quartz platform. Didier Genevois, Ubisoft's Blockchain Technical Director, answered Decrypt's questions about the response to the initial in-game NFT rollout earlier this month.

"We have received a lot of feedback since the announcement, and we hear both the encouragement and the concerns," he said. "We understand where the sentiment towards the technology comes from, and we need to keep taking it into consideration every step of the way."

Genevois continued: "This experiment is meant to understand how the value proposition of decentralization can be received and embraced by our players. We know it is a major change that will take time, but we will stay true to our three principles."

According to Genevois, Ubisoft's principles are to "use the tech responsibly" and "build a safe environment" for players to explore how NFTs work, "only leverage energy-efficient proof-of-stake blockchains," and "focus on meaningful value propositions for players that benefit their gaming experience."

An NFT serves as a proof of ownership for a unique digital object—in this case, one-of-a-kind video game items like weapons and gear. Ubisoft's Ghost Recon NFTs can be resold via Tezos secondary markets. Other video game NFTs can potentially also be interoperable assets, thus enabling their use in multiple games and online platforms.

decrypt.co

After Backlash, Ubisoft Calls Gaming NFTs a ‘Major Change That Will Take Time’ - Decrypt

The publisher is pushing ahead with NFT plans and will “stay true” to its principles amid a new partnership with crypto startup Aleph.im.

I don't know how this person can continue spewing this much BS. Did he read their own ToS for NFTs? You own jack sh*t. Ubisoft still has control of NFTs so nothing is decentralized. It brings no benefits to gaming experience. You can't make your damn offices safe environment for developers but one of your principles is "safe environment for users to explore how NFTs work"? You received biggest backslash this year regarding NFTs and did nothing, while delaying Ghost Recon Battle Royal after far less backslash.

Ambient

Dec 23, 2017
The only reason they are getting into NFTs is to appease shareholders and potentially make money. In no way will Ubisoft implement NFTs that will change gaming for the better.

ffframe

alt account
Banned
Nov 29, 2021
This is just a beta. Think of it as a stress test to make sure it functions when put in the hands of real players. They're also trying to see if this results in an increase in GRBP hours played, new user activations/acquisitions, and so on.

I say all of this as someone opposed and uninterested in it. Ubisoft has an entire business and development unit (Strategic Innovation Lab) dedicated to it. You think they're going to stop doing this because a bunch of us on twitter complain really loudly about it?

CanUKlehead

Oct 30, 2017
It's been such a shit show implementation, I almost wonder if an internal rebellion steered this into a direction where it couldn't succeed.

Either way, good.

OP
OP
dex3108

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
This is just a beta. Think of it as a stress test to make sure it functions when put in the hands of real players. They're also trying to see if this results in an increase in GRBP hours played, new user activations/acquisitions, and so on.

I say all of this as someone opposed and uninterested in it. Ubisoft has an entire business and development unit (Strategic Innovation Lab) dedicated to it. You think they're going to stop doing this because a bunch of us on twitter complain really loudly about it?

And they released Ghost Recon BR Alpha because they didn't care about "bunch of Twitter users" complained? They releases PoP Sands of Time Remake because they didn't care that "bunch of Twitter people" complained? They reacted for far less backslash.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
The only time Ubisoft would make money would be the initial sale of the NFT from them to the first purchaser, correct? Afterwards, Ubisoft woudn't receive any money if that first purchaser sells the NFT to another person or am I misunderstanding this whole thing?

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Do NFTs in games mean that instead of selling you DLC that anyone else can purchase and download that they sell a unique item to just one player? For example in the next Assassin's Creed they produce a special armor that they sell to just one player, the highest bidder?
This whole thing still confuses me...

OP
OP
dex3108

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
The only time Ubisoft would make money would be the initial sale of the NFT from them to the first purchaser, correct? Afterwards, Ubisoft woudn't receive any money if that first purchaser sells the NFT to another person or am I misunderstanding this whole thing?

They have right to take cut according to their ToS.

OP
OP
dex3108

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Do NFTs in games mean that instead of selling you DLC that anyone else can purchase and download that they sell a unique item to just one player? For example in the next Assassin's Creed they produce a special armor that they sell to just one player, the highest bidder?

Yes. Creating artificial digital scarcity is one of the biggest point of NFTs.

freakybj

Oct 26, 2017
The NFT creator can earn "royalties" through smart contracts, so each time the NFT is sold they get a cut.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
arent_ready_yet_bttf.gif

Mr. RPG

Oct 25, 2017
NFTs are definitely here to stay.

Y'all were okay with MTX and on-disc DLC. lol Y'all will cave in eventually.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Imagine you and I buy identical copies of a gun for stats, skin, and a charm. Except each of us has a receipt saying it's "ours" with different serial numbers. Hence, you can "own" it, resell it, etc.

You might be asking yourself, "how is this any different than say … getting a Kar-98 skin in PUBG and selling it on Steam for $22 like Lobster Roll did four years ago?", and that's a great question. There is none. NFTs are a solution for nothing.

OP
OP
dex3108

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
I'm wondering how that works exactly. Wouldn't the owner have the ability to sell the NFT and various crypto-platforms? Would the crypto-platform used to facilitate they sale forward Ubi's cut to them?

There is actually no "owner", you own jack sh*t according to ToS. Ubisoft still controls almost everything, from places where you can sell NFTs to having right to take NFT from you for various reasons. Hell according to their ToS you are not supposed to make profit or engage in speculative trades and just consume NFTs. And yes platforms that are partnered with Ubisoft would give cut to Ubisoft. As I said nothing is decentralized and you own nothing.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
Yes. Creating artificial digital scarcity is one of the biggest point of NFTs.
Which is why I don't see why publishers and devs want to get in on it. Cosmetic money comes from making a thing that that millions are able to buy. NFTs add more steps and take more work to integrate and you don't sell them anywhere near the scale that you would for standard cosmetics or micro transactions. Seems diametrically opposed to the current business model (and a whole lot worse)

Mr. RPG

Oct 25, 2017
Which is why I don't see why publishers and devs want to get in on it. Cosmetic money comes from making a thing that that millions are able to buy. NFTs add more steps and take more work to integrate and you don't sell them anywhere near the scale that you would for standard cosmetics or micro transactions. Seems diametrically opposed to the current business model (and a whole lot worse)

NFTs aren't going to replace MTX. It's just yet another revenue stream for them and people here will pay for it.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There is actually no "owner", you own jack sh*t according to ToS. Ubisoft still controls almost everything, from places where you can sell NFTs to having right to take NFT from you for various reasons. Hell according to their ToS you are not supposed to make profit or engage in speculative trades and just consume NFTs. And yes platforms that are partnered with Ubisoft would give cut to Ubisoft. As I said nothing is decentralized and you own nothing.
Is what Ubisoft doing even technically NFT? It sounds like they're making a scam out of a scam lol

MattB

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Think if it this way. They release dlc armor numbered 1-1000. So only 1000 are sold and each have whatever number it represents on it. Some companies want this said nft to work in multiple games. But the actual reason for companies to do this is because how NFTs work is it's "yours" but the original owner gets a cut of it Everytime it's sold. It runs off the Ethereum network and uses a lot of power per transaction. Though that's getting more into the depth of NFTs. The real reason NFTs are becoming a thing is it's a great way to launder money. They just need to go away.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Stop trying to make fetch happen.

NFT will ultimately be some fringe shit and will perish in the mainstream. Sorry not sorry. You sound like the people who said we'd all be using cryptocurrency by now.

Mr. RPG

Oct 25, 2017
Stop trying to make fetch happen.

NFT will ultimately be some fringe shit and will perish in the mainstream. Sorry not sorry. You sound like the people who said we'd all be using cryptocurrency by now.

lol

Everyone said that microtransactions wouldn't last and here we are. People on this forum love them.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
Think if it this way. They release dlc armor numbered 1-1000. So only 1000 are sold and each have whatever number it represents on it. Some companies want this said nft to work in multiple games. But the actual reason for companies to do this is because how NFTs work is it's "yours" but the original owner gets a cut of it Everytime it's sold. It runs off the Ethereum network and uses a lot of power per transaction. Though that's getting more into the depth of NFTs. The real reason NFTs are becoming a thing is it's a great way to launder money. They just need to go away.

The problem is that, so far, those NFTs don't get sold often and they don't appreciate in value so a percentage of next to nothing is basically nothing to these large publishers. Ubisoft has lost a ton of money so far based on allocating resources for this thing. They haven't even come close to recouping the costs just to administer the system.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
lol

Everyone said that microtransactions wouldn't last and here we are. People on this forum love them.

Most people leave them to the whales actually. I haven't bought a microtransaction item in two generations (literally a 99 cent avatar for Xbox 360), just full DLC. And most of the games I play do not have them or they're pointless. The last five AAA games I've played are No Man's Sky, Ghost of Tsushima, Ratchet and Clank, Metroid Dread, and Deathloop. Where are the microtransactions? Where? Why is it that you think I can't avoid them?

MattB

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The problem is that, so far, those NFTs don't get sold often and they don't appreciate in value so a percentage of next to nothing is basically nothing to these large publishers. Ubisoft has lost a ton of money so far based on allocating resources for this thing. They haven't even come close to recouping the costs just to administer the system.
The problem is this is a thing in general but you are correct too. I legit can't think of anyone that has a legit nft and the whole thing is a joke.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
lol

Feel free to describe the scenario where NFTs make more money for a publisher than traditional microtransactions. At best it's a lame attempt to copy the functionality of the Steam Market.

Mr. RPG

Oct 25, 2017
Feel free to describe the scenario where NFTs make more money for a publisher than traditional microtransactions. At best it's a lame attempt to copy the functionality of the Steam Market.

As I said earlier NFTs won't replace microtransactions. It's another source of revenue to squeeze as much money from the consumer as possible and most people are fine with these practices.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
We need to keep the pressure up on Ubisoft until they break down so much that the only way to buy anything of theirs is through the barter system.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
As I said earlier NFTs won't replace microtransactions. It's another source of revenue to squeeze as much money from the consumer as possible and most people are fine with these practices.

And it's already been demonstrated that microtransactions are not even ubiquitous. Absolutely tons of AAA games with none at all. Among the indies even less! They're increasingly relegated to service games.

You say people here love microtransactions. Go start a poll and see how it goes?

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
If there's one publisher you can trust to build a safe environment for anyone, it'd obviously be Ubisoft!

Hey, stop laughing.

Kenai

Oct 26, 2017

NFTs as they are right now are literally a non factor and MTX/on disc DLC is pretty easy to avoid and not even in the same ballpark anyway. If they actually figure out a way to make them appealing maybe but a lot of people can't even figure out what they are or why they would want them, and Ubisoft certainly isn't doing any convincing, so...