• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
WaPo is reporting that there is a growing number of Republican Senators, including Loeffler and Purdue, who supports $2,000 direct payments:

Loeffler, Perdue join growing number of Senate Republicans backing $2,000 stimulus checks - The Washington Post

December 29, 2020

Two more Senate Republicans on Tuesday expressed support for delivering $2,000 stimulus checks to most Americans, adding to the pressure on Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (Ky.) to hold a vote on a proposal that most other members of his party had opposed before President Trump intervened.

The latest calls came from Georgia's two embattled Republican senators — Sen. David Perdue (R) and Kelly Loeffler — as they find themselves in the midst of a tough re-election battle that will decide the fate of the chamber next week. Both said they supported the $2,000 checks that Trump has sought to advance in recent days. They joined Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.), who expressed support for the idea on Monday. Sen. Josh Hawley (R-Mo.) is one of the chief proponents of the idea.

"Absolutely, we need to get relief to Americans now, and I will support that," Loeffler said on Fox News. Perdue, meanwhile, tweeted hours later he backs "this push for $2,000 in direct relief for the American people."

The House on Monday passed the plussed-up stimulus checs with a broad bipartisan vote. That bill, called the CASH Act, would boost the $600 payments authorized in the massive year-end spending-and-relief package that Trump signed Sunday. The CASH Act would effectively increase the $600 stimulus checks by another $1,400.

Trump and a number of lawmakers have called for the larger stimulus payments amid signs that the economy has worsened in recent months. Under pressure from Trump, Democratic leaders, and some fellow Republicans — as well as a legislative ultimatum delivered Monday by Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) — McConnell must navigate a path that addresses the president's concerns without exposing his party to political attacks one week before a pair of Georgia special elections that will determine the Senate majority.

The fate of a proposal now rests with McConnell.

Under pressure from Trump, Democratic leaders, and some fellow Republicans — as well as a legislative ultimatum delivered Monday by Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) — McConnell must navigate a path that addresses the president's concerns without exposing his party to political attacks one week before a pair of Georgia special elections that will determine the Senate majority.

Perdue tweeted Tuesday that Trump "is right — I support this push for $2,000 in direct relief for the American people."

The comments from Loeffler and Perdue came as Sanders's demand for a vote on the House's $2,000 checks bill raised the prospect that the two senators would have to to spend several unexpected days in Washington amid the closing week of their campaigns.

"Let me be clear: If Senator McConnell doesn't agree to an up or down vote to provide the working people of our country a $2,000 direct payment, Congress will not be going home for New Year's Eve," Sanders said in a statement late Monday. "Let's do our job."

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
so based off the thread last night we'd need 8 more Republicans (and full Dem support) to get to 60 votes and avoid the filibuster?

May 26, 2018
Loeffler and Perdue will vote yes, no one else will, it dies and they get political points, then the poison pill version shows up on the floor before run off and all GOP senators vote yes, Loeffler and Perdue get cookies again.

4CornersTHSA

Jun 13, 2019
What is the threshold needed to pass in the Senate, 60 or simple majority?

This assumes McConnell caves to pressure to bring it to a vote.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
giphy.gif

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
They're scared. (Also, I'm not holding my breath for this actually coming up for a vote.)

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What is the threshold needed to pass in the Senate, 60 or simple majority?

This assumes McConnell caves to pressure to bring it to a vote.
I would assume this is just simple majority.

Also, didn't McConnell say he'd bring anything to a vote if the president would pass it as well? I don't see the man going back on his word. /s

Bentendo24

Feb 20, 2020
Please God make this happen. Is there anyway to override McConnel on this if enough Republicans support it?

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna give a lot of credit to Pelosi here. Her quick unanimous consent move garnered GOP blocking headlines and put on a ton of pressure especially with the runoffs happening. It cut off Republican time to generate a counter. If she just waited for the more normal vote Monday I think it narrowly fails and republicans focus more on foreign aid or section 230 trades like Graham was starting. Getting that clean consent act and then bill out there was huge.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
I'm gonna give a lot of credit to Pelosi here. Her quick unanimous consent move garnered GOP blocking headlines and put on a ton of pressure especially with the runoffs happening. It cut off Republican time to generate a counter. If she just waited for the more normal vote Monday I think it narrowly fails and republicans focus more on foreign aid or section 230 trades like Graham was starting. Getting that clean consent act and then bill out there was huge.
Yep. Great move. Cascadiiiing

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Georgians won't forget
Yeah they will.

I am old enough to be the right amount of cynical about the citizens of this country.

The Republicans wrecked the economy and lied to the country to go to war not even 20 years ago. If that didn't stick (and it didn't for more than one fucking election) then there is no chance in hell this well.

GCQ

Oct 27, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Small part of me thinks we're gonna get this AND the Democrats are gonna take the Senate anyway. I mean, yeah, Republicans finally agreed to do something but people aren't gonna forget that they obstructed this from happening much sooner.

Tophat Jones

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The majority leader literally decides what is and isn't voted on?

That can't possibly be right...

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Yep. Mitch will never put it up
I think if he had the time his move would be to attach something like section 230 changes and dare democrats to vote it down then blame them. But at this point it's too late and the bill has landed at his door. With Perdue and Loeffler now out for it I'm not sure he can sit on it like other bills. If he does that still hurts them because their presence still makes him leader and obstructs things. I'm not entirely sure what he does now. I still lean toward obstruction since it's McConnell but this isn't quite as easy of a dunk as usual. GOP certainly doesn't want big headlines of republicans senate stopping checks before the runoff.

CorpseLight

Nov 3, 2018
I really despise the fact that all these politicians(read:Republicans), will sit thru endless debates, make snarky comments, vote and revote again, when the American people are literally dying and going into deeper debt while trying to make ends meet.

Just fucking give us money already, holy shit why is this even a discussion anymore. Its not the 2nd month of the outbreak, its been like 10 months with no end in sight.

Deleted member 31923

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Small part of me thinks we're gonna get this AND the Democrats are gonna take the Senate anyway. I mean, yeah, Republicans finally agreed to do something but people aren't gonna forget that they obstructed this from happening much sooner.

I want to hear more from the so called moderates like Romney and Collins. We need to pick up more Republican votes than the 4 mentioned for this to happen. But what seemed like a zero percent chance a week ago now seems like maybe 10 percent or so?

hurlex

Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't matter if Republican senators support it if Mitch doesn't put it to a vote. If he doesn't, you have to tie them to him.

Arc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Please don't fall for this. They have approval from Mitch to say things like this as it will never actually be voted on.

These threads shouldn't be posted without the political context.

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Bernie might actually force the turtle's hand on this, but I can easily see only Loeffler and Perdue voting for it to get points and the vote will narrowly fail.

Arc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Bernie might actually force the turtle's hand on this, but I can easily see only Loeffler and Perdue voting for it to get points and the vote will narrowly fail.

Bernie can't force anything. This will never reach the senate floor unless it's a monster filled with a million poison pills.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
I mean they better sign off on those checks or else their asses are going to be stuck inside for a good while. Might as well.

GCQ

Oct 27, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Narrator: They forgot about it 8 years 4 years later.

I'd probably feel this way if the state hadn't just flipped blue and people had even more time to see them block relief after the election. Would I be surprised if Purdue/Loeffler won? Absolutely not, but this is way more of a toss up than some people here are talking about.

Deleted member 31923

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I think if he had the time his move would be to attach something like section 230 changes and dare democrats to vote it down then blame them. But at this point it's too late and the bill has landed at his door. With Perdue and Loeffler now out for it I'm not sure he can sit on it like other bills. If he does that still hurts them because their presence still makes him leader and obstructs things. I'm not entirely sure what he does now. I still lean toward obstruction since it's McConnell but this isn't quite as easy of a dunk as usual. GOP certainly doesn't want big headlines of republicans senate stopping checks before the runoff.

I mentioned in another thread that by blocking this, Mitch puts himself on the ballot. Because the Senate races aren't about the individual candidates, but are really about control of the Senate. It might be better for Mitch to put it up for a vote and let it narrowly fail. But either way, the whole situation is a great gift from Trump to Democrats.

BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017
The runoff must have then scurred if they're going as far as openly accepting these checks. That's a breakneck speed worth of pivot from saying even $600 was too much. But I also agree this is a game of optics.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
Mitch knows what he's doing. Here's how this is going to go.

1. A bunch of Senate Rs come out and say they are in support of higher payments.
2. Perdue and Loeffler both say they support it.
3. Perdue and Loeffler both win their runoffs next week.
4. Before the vote is held, somebody (say, Rand Paul, who has been one of the biggest detractors of any form of stimulus) gives an impassioned filibuster speech
5. The amendment is voted down, Mitch keeps his majority, and the people only get $600, and everyone forgets about it in six years when Perdue and Loeffler come up for re-election.

Of course, there is a way around it, and that is for Ossoff and Warnock to win next week. They need to go balls-to-the-wall making clear that Perdue and Loeffler are in Mitch's back pocket, and rather than vote for people who are just talking out of their ass, vote for the people who ACTUALLY WILL vote for the $2000 stimulus.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
I mentioned in another thread that by blocking this, Mitch puts himself on the ballot. Because the Senate races aren't about the individual candidates, but are really about control of the Senate. It might be better for Mitch to put it up for a vote and let it narrowly fail. But either way, the whole situation is a great gift from Trump to Democrats.
Right, the GOP even made the entire runoff about control of the senate explicitly. Mitch blocking now is not the sort of thing they want. This is wholly unlike every other bill Mitch gets to quietly kill.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Mitch knows what he's doing. Here's how this is going to go.

1. A bunch of Senate Rs come out and say they are in support of higher payments.
2. Perdue and Loeffler both say they support it.
3. Perdue and Loeffler both win their runoffs next week.
4. Before the vote is held, somebody (say, Rand Paul, who has been one of the biggest detractors of any form of stimulus) gives an impassioned filibuster speech
5. The amendment is voted down, Mitch keeps his majority, and the people only get $600, and everyone forgets about it in six years when Perdue and Loeffler come up for re-election.
This is exactly what I suspect will happen. Mitch saves GOP Senators from bad PR constantly by strategically picking and choosing which bills get brought to the floor. This is just positive leverage for the runoffs that they'll subsequently ignore in favor of letting Biden inherit a more broken country as they stall the recovery. Americans will forget about this in 2022/4 just as they did in 2010 post-stimulus.

May 26, 2018
R-NE:

Burgess Everett @burgessev

!!! Sen. Fischer sounds open to $2,000 direct payments "People are hurting and I think we need to give them more aid. I'm upset it's not targeted, I'm upset the process is always throwing everything in together."

11:52 AM · Dec 29, 2020

They're surely still throwing in their support for the poison pill variation they know will never make the House, though. One way or another it will come to that