• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The AP has reported that "The optics appear terrible for Republicans" with regards to the House GOP blocking the $2,000 direct payments today, December 24th. I wonder if this will help out the Democrats with the 2 Georgia runoffs:

GOP blocks $2,000 checks as Trump leaves COVID aid in chaos (apnews.com)

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Donald Trump's sudden demand for $2,000 checks for most Americans was swiftly rejected by House Republicans on Thursday as his haphazard actions throw a massive COVID relief and government funding bill into chaos.

The rare Christmas Eve session of the House lasted just minutes, with help for millions of Americans awaiting Trump's signature on the bill. Unemployment benefits, eviction protections and other emergency aid, including smaller $600 checks, are at risk. Trump's refusal of the $900 billion package, which is linked to $1.4 trillion government funds bill, could spark a federal shutdown at midnight Monday.

"We're not going to let the government shut down, nor are we going to let the American people down," said Rep. Steny Hoyer, D-Md., the majority leader.

The optics appear terrible for Republicans, and the outgoing president, as the nation suffers through the worst holiday season many can remember. Families are isolated under COVID precautions and millions of American households are devastated without adequate income, food or shelter. The virus death toll of 327,000-plus is rising.

The president's push to increase direct payments for most Americans from $600 to $2,000 for individuals and $4,000 for couples drives support from Democrats but splits the GOP with a politically difficult test of their loyalty to the president.

On a conference call Wednesday House Republican lawmakers complained that Trump threw them under the bus, according to one Republican on the private call and granted anonymity to discuss it. Most had voted for the package and they urged GOP leaders to hit the cable news shows to explain its benefits, the person said.

Yet the president has found common ground with Democrats, particularly leading liberals who support the $2,000 payments as the best way to help struggling Americans. Democrats only settled for the lower number to compromise with Republicans.

Even if the House is able to approve Trump's $2,000 checks on Monday, that measure would likely die in the GOP-controlled Senate, which is due back in session on Tuesday.

The president's unpredictable demands are creating more Trump-related headaches for Georgia GOP Sens. Kelly Loeffler and David Perdue, who are fighting for their political lives — and for continued GOP control of the Senate — in a pair of Jan. 5 Georgia run-off elections. They are being forced to choose whether to back or buck Trump, potentially angering voters on all sides.

Deleted member 3038

Oct 25, 2017
Won't someone think about the optics?!?!?! /s

Republicans won't care as long as they are "Owning" the libs, even though they are owning themselves too while they are at it

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
Doesn't matter how it looks. As long as their GOP base doesn't punish them, then the GOP will continue to act this way.

Oct 26, 2017
People have gold fish memories in a week they will be complaining that Democrats are overreaching and should have taken the $600.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
Doesn't matter how it looks. As long as their GOP base doesn't punish them, then the GOP will continue to act this way.

It doesn't matter. The country doesn't punish Republicans for their behavior.

I mean, the reason why McConnell even allowed the $600 aid package was their inaction was making the Georgia Senate candidates look bad and affect their chances for reelection, so this latest shitshow of the GOP blocking aid does not put them in a good light to their voters.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
Won't someone think about the optics?!?!?! /s

Republicans won't care as long as they are "Owning" the libs, even though they are owning themselves too while they are at it
This might actually blow up on them. A lot of GOP voters right now love Trump more than they love the party. Trump came out and said they were getting a bad deal, and demanded $2000 checks. They don't need to accept that Dems were also trying to get them $2000 to accept that the party went against the God King and stiffed them on their money

This isn't about making the Dems look good next to the GOP. Its about making the GOP look bad next to Trump

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
Even if this is true, people will pull an anti-vaxx and say it's actually the Dems or Pelosi or something. I'm just hoping Ossoff and Warnock can win so we can bypass fuckery.

Gaf Zombie

The Fallen
Dec 13, 2017
I really hope that Dems can effectively nail this to Republicans and eek out wins in GA.

I want to believe

ComradeYork

Oct 27, 2017
If Republicans cared about optics they would be embarrassed with themselves rather than patting each other on the back. Their base is their base. Have to beat em to the polls.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
But they were rewarded last election sans Trump? Until the American populace actually holds the GOP accountable, they will continue to do this.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
We saw 4 years of bad optics and in the end Trump got more votes then in 2016.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
Optics are no longer relevant.
I'm not counting this out quite yet. At this point party affiliation in this country is largely a matter of personal identity, and you're correct, optics do not matter in getting republicans to vote for democrats, or even to sit home, because you can't break that identity wall. But now you've got an actual, throw down war between the head of the party (he's the head of the party weather Mitch or anyone else in the party likes it or not) and the rest of them and said head also has a relationship with his followers that borders on something like fanaticism.

What Democrats do here is largely irrelevant, aside from just setting up situations like this to generate headlines where the GOP is seen as going against Trump's proclamations.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Optics dont matter when they are blinded by their own biased optics. The GOP is already blaming the dems everywhere for this.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I fully expected the GOP to do whatever they could to lie and win those run offs and then continue with the fuckery... but I don't understand this ploy.

Then again, people will vote against their own interests, even if it's literally a choice between more money and less money.

Kensation

Enlightened
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not counting this out quite yet. At this point party affiliation in this country is largely a matter of personal identity, and you're correct, optics do not matter in getting republicans to vote for democrats, or even to sit home, because you can't break that identity wall. But now you've got an actual, throw down war between the head of the party (he's the head of the party weather Mitch or anyone else in the party likes it or not) and the rest of them and said head also has a relationship with his followers that borders on something like fanaticism.

What Democrats do here is largely irrelevant, aside from just setting up situations like this to generate headlines where the GOP is seen as going against Trump's proclamations.
There's not really a war here. Mitch never wanted to give anyone anything, so he gets his wish.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Doomscrollers on turbo mode in this thread, huh?

Yes, nothing matters and no political actions are relevant whatsoever to a state that was long considered a red stronghold but thanks to the tireless efforts of Stacey Abrams and others, voted for Joe Biden.

Fucking OBVIOUSLY the vast majority of Republican voters will still vote Republican. But things like this absolutely drive up enthusiasm and turnout among Democrats, independents, and first-time voters. And based on the runoff, a 1% flip in voters will do it.

Jesus.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Stop dreaming guys. Rs will show up in Georgia. They always show up.

The only way to beat them is to turnout.

fick

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 24, 2018
Optics my ass. Republican voters are lost causes. They will 100 percent blame the Dems for this.

Check the front page of /r/conservative. The top two posts? 1. Bitching about GOP blocking $2000 stimulus, and 2. a satirical article shittalking McConnel and calling him a turtle.

These guys may not turn on Trump, but I think people are underestimating just how fucking poorly our government has handled this thing. I'm relatively insulated from the pandemic, so it took me a few days to really comprehend just how much of a slap in the face $600 was. I'm sure there were a lot of R voters who truly believed Trump would get them their stimulus after the election, and they're finding out they're being left out to dry. And while I can't really feel sorry for these people, I understand that to a lot of them, this was a betrayal by the GOP.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think at the end of the day, Trump doesn't care one way or the other.
Gop going against trump is ammo regardless for the senate race thats coming up especially in this context. Regardless what happens dems we're given something they can use.

entremet

Oct 26, 2017

Yes, nothing matters and no political actions are relevant whatsoever to a state that was long considered a red stronghold but thanks to the tireless efforts of Stacey Abrams and others, voted for Joe Biden.

Fucking OBVIOUSLY the vast majority of Republican voters will still vote Republican. But things like this absolutely drive up enthusiasm and turnout among Democrats, independents, and first-time voters. And based on the runoff, a 1% flip in voters will do it.

Jesus.
Well, this is based on actual empirical evidence, tho.

It's not really doomposting. I'm not saying that Dems can't win Georgia now. But Republicanism is still very relevant even when most Americans disagree with their policies.

Feep

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Well, this is based on actual empirical evidence, tho.

It's not really doomscrolling. I'm not saying that Dems can't win Georgia now. But Republicanism is still very relevant even when most Americans disagree with their policies.
What are you talking about? The premise is "the optics are bad". The response from the majority of this thread is "optics don't matter, nothing matters".

They clearly do, even if not to Republicans. It's not about *them*. They turned out more voters for Trump than any other candidate in history. But Democrats turned out *more*.

If you're a busy/unsure/undecided voter in Georgia, the choice is simple: vote Democrat, and get $2000 and possibly much more. Vote Republican, and get $600 or nothing. Yes, that matters, materially, to people's lives who often think politics doesn't affect them.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Republican voters in Georgia will think democrats are passing something that will hurt them

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
What are you talking about? The premise is "the optics are bad". The response from the majority of this thread is "optics don't matter, nothing matters".

They clearly do, even if not to Republicans. It's not about *them*. They turned out more voters for Trump than any other candidate in history. But Democrats turned out *more*.
Did they matter when they botched the COVID19 response and never brought a second stimulus to even vote for six months?

This is what I mean. Those were horrible optics and they gained House seats and retained vulnerable Senate seats.

Oct 25, 2017

Jesus.
Did you just reasonably express optimism in this thread? No sir I won't hear a word of it, not on my Era!

Feep

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Did they matter when they botched the COVID19 response and never brought a second stimulus to even vote for six months?

This is what I mean. Those were horrible optics and they gained House seats and retained vulnerable Senate seats.
This does not mean optics don't matter. In fact, from a larger perspective, optics are *all* that matters. Republicans played the optics game well enough, and I'll be the first to admit that Democrats weren't good at taking advantage of it. They won that battle.

Here, they're losing it.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Was the gop going up against trump regarding the covid response?

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I feel the takes of "optics don't matter" don't really seem to take into account all this is happening because of the optics created by Trump's comments. If it didn't matter there wouldn't be a mad scramble at this point.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Check the front page of /r/conservative. The top two posts? 1. Bitching about GOP blocking $2000 stimulus, and 2. a satirical article shittalking McConnel and calling him a turtle.

These guys may not turn on Trump, but I think people are underestimating just how fucking poorly our government has handled this thing. I'm relatively insulated from the pandemic, so it took me a few days to really comprehend just how much of a slap in the face $600 was. I'm sure there were a lot of R voters who truly believed Trump would get them their stimulus after the election, and they're finding out they're being left out to dry. And while I can't really feel sorry for these people, I understand that to a lot of them, this was a betrayal by the GOP.
Don't worry their pea brains will be told this is somehow not the GOP's fault when Facebook disinformation does it's job.

I don't take anything these people say seriously. Literally Idiocracy levels of intelligence. The level of stupidity I've heard from real life conservatives here in Lancaster, PA has made me 100 percent hopeless of there being any getting through to them. At the end of the day r/Conservative on Reddit is considerably more informed and able to form cogent thoughts compared to your every day Trump supporter, as pathetically of a low that bar is.

Jun 10, 2018
This might actually blow up on them. A lot of GOP voters right now love Trump more than they love the party. Trump came out and said they were getting a bad deal, and demanded $2000 checks. They don't need to accept that Dems were also trying to get them $2000 to accept that the party went against the God King and stiffed them on their money

This isn't about making the Dems look good next to the GOP. Its about making the GOP look bad next to Trump
Yep, exactly this.

I told my brother and sister virtually the same thing yesterday. Long-standing Repub officials are going to be in for a rude awakening once they realize how much more fanatic Trump's base is about the man than the party. Literally all any opposing candidate (whether Dem or Repub) has to do when running attack ads is just point out they said "No" to Trump.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Yep, exactly this.

I told my brother and sister virtually the same thing yesterday. Long-standing Repub officials are going to be in for a rude awakening once they realize how much more fanatic Trump's base is about the man than the party. Literally all any opposing candidate (whether Dem or Repub) has to do when running attack ads is just point out they said "No" to Trump.
I really hope it ultimately plays out this way. I'm not getting my hopes up. I'm tired man.