• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Daedardus

Oct 25, 2017
I'm confused by your questions. Each mfg and publisher does internal tracking of its own products via data supplied directly by each retailer for sales and inventories, sometimes on a daily basis if they so choose. Each mfg and publisher can also internally project for competitors, but results are not always accurate. Mfgs and publishers will wait for NPD reporting before making statements on competitors, or how its own products rank in a time period, as NPD data is considered data of record for the market. And of course subscribers get detailed unit, revenue and pricing data on every item ever manufactured on a monthly basis from NPD for those categories they subscribe to.

I mean you explained it well, but Chris was saying "Nintendo doesn't need NPD to tell they're the best selling console." Taken literally, this is untrue, right? I also thought you said competitors didn't get detailed data first, which would be a weird, but they do I guess.

Deleted member 2785

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean you explained it well, but Chris was saying "Nintendo doesn't need NPD to tell they're the best selling console." Taken literally, this is untrue, right? I also thought you said competitors didn't get detailed data first, which would be a weird, but they do I guess.

To your first question, a company may have a good idea of its ranking, but when talking about the US market it would be very odd to come out and say that product x sold more than competitor product y without the NPD data.

I don't understand your second question.

Buzzman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Daedardus

Oct 25, 2017
To your first question, a company may have a good idea of its ranking, but when talking about the US market it would be very odd to come out and say that product x sold more than competitor product y without the NPD data.

I don't understand your second question.

Okay my assumption was right then, thanks for the clarification. I think you said yesterday that companies didn't get info on competing products, but I'm sure you meant from their own projection and not the NPD data. But I remember you replying specifically to someone asking if Nintendo can see Sony sales for NPD, but maybe I was just the confused one.

Buzzman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Okay my assumption was right then, thanks for the clarification. I think you said yesterday that companies didn't get info on competing products, but I'm sure you meant from their own projection and not the NPD data. But I remember you replying specifically to someone asking if Nintendo can see Sony sales for NPD, but maybe I was just the confused one.
Well of course any subscriber to NPD would get all the relevant data they asked for. It would be ridiculous if Nintendo was restricted to only see information pertaining to their own products and not see anything from "competitors" while any regular investor or firm could see all of it. That would be useless.

Deleted member 2785

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I was referring to retailer reporting to the mfg/publisher. A mfg gets all of the sales and inventory data of its own products directly from retailers, but it does not get information on competitor products directly from retailers.

Deleted member 46922

Banned
Aug 21, 2018
Nice to see that a lot of users seem to realise this is going to be one of the best decembers in the last number of years.
There's magic in the air, sales wise. :P

Daedardus

Oct 25, 2017
I was referring to retailer reporting to the mfg/publisher. A mfg gets all of the sales and inventory data of its own products directly from retailers, but it does not get information on competitor products directly from retailers.

Ah right, that's were the confusion came from. Now it all makes sense :P. I thought manufacturers just tracked all consoles shipped to retailers and with a high enough stock turnover sold should be close to shipped in a small timeframe. Didn't know retailers shared exact sales data to manufacturers directly.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
According to ERA it's a filler title.

People forget that for a huge chunk of the Switch audience these Wii U ports are essentially brand new games

So while something like NSMBU Deluxe may seem boring and over priced to someone that owned a Wii U, for a lot of Switch consumers they just see a Mario game they never have played before

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
I've posted it many times in various threads but, Nintendo is exactly where they want to be with Switch.

-Popular hardware
-Vast vast majority of software sales are Nintendo 1st party (even ports with next to no development expense like SMBWU, pure profit)

It's a money making machine. And why Nintendo doesn't care if their platforms are particularly friendly to 3rd parties (very limited storage etc on Switch).

Limabean01

Oct 29, 2017
WA, australia
People forget that for a huge chunk of the Switch audience these Wii U ports are essentially brand new games

So while something like NSMBU Deluxe may seem boring and over priced to someone that owned a Wii U, for a lot of Switch consumers they just see a Mario game they never have played before
tea it's going to easily outdo the original in the West. Not a single friend of mine knew it was a port, and everyone who I've talked to has been like 'have you seen that new Mario game?!'

+ Even to the ~half a dozen people who owned a Wii u, there's plenty like me who didn't get the chance to play some of its games, too.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
tea it's going to easily outdo the original in the West. Not a single friend of mine knew it was a port, and everyone who I've talked to has been like 'have you seen that new Mario game?!'

+ Even to the ~half a dozen people who owned a Wii u, there's plenty like me who didn't get the chance to play some of its games, too.

And the multiplayer is a huge component as well. I will likely be buying it eventually as well because it's a game that my family likes to play together. We got 100% in the game, but playing with others makes the experience completely different each time you play it depending on the group you are with, even if the actual game is the same. I'd be surprised if the game fell short of 10 million unless Nintendo has a new one coming later this year or something.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So Switch has to achieve the devil's number in order to come out on top? Nintendo has to enter a satanic contract in order to "win".

No wonder there's no PR, they are weary and shaken of what they had to do to get there!
giphy.gif

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe Switch just didnt sell as well as I thought it did and that's why there is no PR for December from Nintendo

If they had sold what I was projecting they wouldn't really need data for their competitors to know they would be the highest selling platform for the month by a wide margin
Don't they usually ride off NPD's numbers anyway.

Ritz

Jan 2, 2019
not really, they say "[...]of the generation". makes sense since there isn't any other console

If there was no other system in Switch's own generation, they could tout that claim every hour.

They make it clear they mean current gen.

Nintendo Switch has become the fastest-selling video game system of this hardware generation through 21 months, ... outpacing U.S. sales of all other current-generation systems at the same point in their life cycles.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
not really, they say "[...]of the generation". makes sense since there isn't any other console
Unless you're joking (hard to tell) that's not the case at all, when they said "[...]of the generation" it was definitely true in comparison to the PS4, XB1 and whatever else. But you're probably joking.

Oct 26, 2017
Personal opinion would be that the Switch is current gen and they are correct in saying so. The Switch is barely more powerful than the Wii U and I see it as a radical refresh than a whole next generation thing.
The same could've been said of the Wii and it still counted as a new generation. The Switch is simply Nintendo's next generation of systems, succeeding both the Wii U and the 3DS, and, when the PS5 and XB2 come out, it'll be sold alongside them as opposed to another Nintendo system. It's just that there's no point in touting it as the next generation of systems when none of the others are out yet anyways

Wander_

Banned
Feb 26, 2018
Personal opinion would be that the Switch is current gen and they are correct in saying so. The Switch is barely more powerful than the Wii U and I see it as a radical refresh than a whole next generation thing.

Lol I can't believe this bs is still a thing in 2019. the switch is at least 3x and also has 2015-2016 tech in it.

anyway power doesn't mean nothing, what generation were 3ds and Vita?

The same could've been said of the Wii and it still counted as a new generation. The Switch is simply Nintendo's next generation of systems, succeeding both the Wii U and the 3DS, and, when the PS5 and XB2 come out, it'll be sold alongside them as opposed to another Nintendo system. It's just that there's no point in touting it as the next generation of systems when none of the others are out yet anyways

exactly

Last edited:

Ritz

Jan 2, 2019
the switch is at least 3x and also has 2015 tech in it.
Interesting. Do you have a source for that 3x figure?
anyway power doesn't mean nothing, what generation were 3ds and Vita?
They aren't home consoles, so different metric.
Fair enough.

JSG87

Mar 13, 2018
Ayr, Scotland

not the person you quoted but in handheld the Switch is just as powerful as the Wii U, as evidenced by the fact that handheld switch can run wii u games just as well as/better that the wii u and obviously the Switch is at least twice as powerful docked as it is in handheld so it's more twice as powerful as the Wii u.

Wander_

Banned
Feb 26, 2018

160 amd core vs 256 cuda cores
shitty cpu vs a modern quad core
1gb of vram vs 3,25
2x bandwidth
development in mixed precision

there's no contest and you'll see when games actually begin to push it. wii u never run Doom/Doom eternal nor Warframe or dragon quest xi. hell just look at smash bros ultimate and compare it to the wii u game. it's at least 50%+ in portable mode and double than that in docked mode and also supports current gen enginees.

/ot

Last edited:

Ritz

Jan 2, 2019
160 amd core vs 256 cuda cores
shitty cpu vs a modern quad core
1gb of vram vs 3,25
2x bandwidth
development in mixed precision

there's no contest and you'll see when games actually begin to push it. wii u never run Doom/Doom eternal nor Warframe or dragon quest xi. hell just look at smash bros ultimate and compare it to the wii u game. it's at least 50%+ in portable mode and double than that in docked mode and also supports current gen enginees.

/ot
Thanks! I'll be keeping this in my back pocket the next time I have a similar discussion elsewhere.

Daedardus

Oct 25, 2017

It'll be a bit slow but steady selling evergreen title, I bet. It's essentially the title that the more casual/family crowd will pick up with a new purchase. It's that audience they will need to attract in the coming months and years, the enthusiast crowd has already been largely convinced. Some of the latter are maybe just waiting on funds or a specific game but will eventually buy in sooner rather than later.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
I'm confused. Are you saying that Nintendo was being cheeky in their PR and meant that the Switch is the fastest-selling console of the generation due to a technicality of being the only console of the generation? Because it's pretty clear that they were directly comparing its sales pace to PS4/XB1/3DS lol.