• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Colombia and maybe Peru. I always wonder about what is our real numbers on official consoles/software sales from local retailers (Panamericana, Alkosto/Ktronix, EB-Games, Exito, Falabella), since we've a competing grey market (guys who import units from US, etc.)

I didn't find any recent numbers, sorry. As far as I know Colombia is big on Xbox and Peru on Playstation with Nintendo improving and practically no Xbox. I think that Peru still has a significant gray market, not sure about Colombia.

rzmunch

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
I found this, it's from 2016 and I'm not sure how accurate the info is as it's based on surveys not sales tracking: https://newzoo.com/insights/articles/latin-american-games-market/.

Newzoo_Most_Popular_Consoles_Brazil_Argentina.png

Overall situation seems to be slow adoption rate of this generation consoles in both countries and Xbox dominates Brazil while Playstation dominates Argentina.

Thanks. Not a lot about Nintendo in Argentina. They had the biggest stand in the last Argentina Game Show 2018 (with Smash and Pokemon).
In the grey market the Switch is cheaper than the PS4. Maybe because it sells less? A lot of grey market sellers buy in USA and sell through Mercadolibre (Like ebay). Nintendo distributes officially through JVLAT and sells in some electronics chains. I know Nintendo should have some numbers.

Jpop

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's gonna be a hard one, but I'm confident there must be a correlation between snack consumption and the views/posts in this thread. :P

Maybe look up the definition of sexist first before making off-topic posts.

Maybe the poster should think with his brain rather than his dick. And yeah - attacking a women for her looks is misogynistic not sexist, my bad!

And 😂 at calling me out for an off-topic post and not that poster 🤦‍♂️.

MesaEterna

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I'd really want to know at least a general perspective of how consoles and games are doing in Mexico.
Lately it seems like everyone I know is interested in a Switch (or has one already). Xbox and PS4 dominate but I'm sure Switch adoption must be increasing.

MesaEterna

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Well, there would need to be more people returning the console than buying it for adoption to decrease, so I sure hope it's increasing.
lol
I mean more like Switch is (anecdotally) more popular than past consoles, even the 3ds (most people I know have a DSi or even Lite and they're happy with them)

Oct 31, 2017
Just got Kingdom Hearts The Story So Far in the mail and I have 5 days to play as much as possible until KH3 releases in 5 measly days(thanks government shutdown and keeping my game in customs for 8 days!). So I guess I'll just play that stuff nonstop with Punisher Season 2 for breaks in between and pray to god this thread has something meaningful in the next few days.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Just got Kingdom Hearts The Story So Far in the mail and I have 5 days to play as much as possible until KH3 releases in 5 measly days(thanks government shutdown and keeping my game in customs for 8 days!). So I guess I'll just play that stuff nonstop with Punisher Season 2 for breaks in between and pray to god this thread has something meaningful in the next few days.
Good luck! You're in for a wild ride!

gordofredito

Banned
Jan 16, 2018
I'd really want to know at least a general perspective of how consoles and games are doing in Mexico.
Lately it seems like everyone I know is interested in a Switch (or has one already). Xbox and PS4 dominate but I'm sure Switch adoption must be increasing.
because it is late into the generation, anyone who can afford a console or gaming PC can probably already afford a second console. Not so much that the Switch is dominating but anyone who wanted a PS4 already has one

wolflink

Nov 9, 2017
So those numbers really got delayed???

It is really weird no direct, no PR, and now NPD.

Nintendo masters of scarcity.

Tuesday they will become sorceress of supply.

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017

Yeah, the Switch has continued to be the one with the most hype still, and Smash only increased it. Almost everyone I know who is a casual gamer or a lapsed gamer, has been buying one or interested in getting one, after years on Nintendo not being cool or relevant.

Maybe it helps that we're in peek 90s nostalgia era and everybody remembers the 64 and GC fondly. Plus, well, the Switch is awesome. It's library only keeps getting bigger as well.

Last edited:

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Has there ever been a breakdown of sales by retailer? Are some more popular for physical games than others? Are some platforms more popular at certain stores? Are some more popular in particular regions? Does one better represent the overall market than others? Etc. etc.

Those types of things.

I wouldn't be shocked if nobody would want that info out, but maybe historical data for shits and giggles ("oh yeeeah, Babbage's!").

Deleted member 49804

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 21, 2018
Has there ever been a breakdown of sales by retailer? Are some more popular for physical games than others? Are some platforms more popular at certain stores? Are some more popular in particular regions? Does one better represent the overall market than others? Etc. etc.

Those types of things.

I wouldn't be shocked if nobody would want that info out, but maybe historical data for shits and giggles ("oh yeeeah, Babbage's!").
That data is exactly the reason why companies pay 6 figures for those reports.

slavesnyder

Oct 26, 2017
SlaveSnyder Media Corp.
It's obvious that the delay of official NPD numbers is caused by some human assets along the beautiful but complicated digital assembly lines of data compiling. This is totally understandable and should be tolerated for the moment as to err is human, erare humanus est. On the other hand it's just another sign that there's room for improvement to secure safe distribution by minimizing potential sources of disturbances in the future.

It's a blessing that Artificial Intelligence is on a good way not only to support data miners and analysts, but also to by and by take off completely the burden of responsibility for such a delicate affair as consumer reports from the shoulders of, per definition, fallible biological entities. Among the companies who will enable a better, safer and cleaner future for all of us is Microsoft who just started a wonderful informercial campaign about how much AI will enhance our lives.​
So whenever self-learning systems, neuronal networks and other blessings will help us to better distribute and dispense valuable and limited resources like water for a sustainable agricultural industry, filter techniques for a cleaner and healthier internet by definition of the ruling class and insectoid killer drone swarms against soft targets, your purchase of a videogame entertainment system will be a small but welcome contribution.​

MesaEterna

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, the Switch has continued to be the one with the most hype still, and Smash only increased it. Almost everyone I know who is a casual gamer or a lapsed gamer, has been buying one or interested in getting one, after years on Nintendo not being cool or relevant.

Maybe it helps that we're in peek 90s nostalgia era and everybody remembers the 64 and GC fondly. Plus, well, the Switch is awesome. It's library only keeps getting bigger as well.
Yeah, Smash is super popular here. Literally no one I know has no interest in it. I don't want exact numbers but maybe what growth it has had compared to previous Ninty consoles or PS4/Xbox One

Daedardus

Oct 25, 2017
I'm realising now that the sales analyst and press release writer at Nintendo of America must be sweating too for Monday'/Tuesday's results. He or she is probably as anxious as ERA.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm realising now that the sales analyst and press release writer at Nintendo of America must be sweating too for Monday'/Tuesday's results. He or she is probably as anxious as ERA.

They are trying to figure out how to word the PR to not sound like a total let down after all the hype I brought

Nintendo: "Hey we sold 1.7 million which is a ton and more than last year! That's awesome guys! Right! Right!? Right..........errrr......

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
They are trying to figure out how to word the PR to not sound like a total let down after all the hype I brought

Nintendo: "Hey we sold 1.7 million which is a ton and more than last year! That's awesome guys! Right! Right!? Right..........errrr......
Breaking News: ERA ruins Dec. 2018 NPD report, blame falls on Benji "insider" of US Sales.