• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

KratosEnergyDrink

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Its why I find the constant downplaying of analyst opinions to be so disappointing, yeah they can get stuff wrong but they offer a far more reliable gauge of the performance in the industry than most here.

No, they do not. People like Pachter & Co. are often much worse in predictions than an average (non fanboy) era user. Honestly most of Pachters predictions sound more like "fanboy opinions" than predictions.

m051293

Oct 29, 2017
Ah, I see, that's exactly what I was looking for! Thanks a lot!

Sure!

I think a point of significance here is that I am pretty sure the discounted MK8D bundle (Nov 2018) was a bigger factor in the US than anywhere else (I think the entirety of Europe received a shipment in the low six-figures for December and that's the extent of it elsewhere). That would not be reflected in the NPD figures so Mat's answer could still be different. If the retail figures are also up though, that would be mighty impressive.

NicknameMy

Banned
Mar 14, 2018
I strongly suspect both will be offering streaming solutions for their consoles (what I mean by that is you buy the game for the console, and the console will be able to stream it to some device, either a proprietary one or possibly just any device). That's at least what I would do if I were them.

Sounds like the Wii U offscreen gameplay option :D.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
People pretty quickly changed their tune towards the Switch before launch with the Nindies Direct, Breath of the Wild reviews, and getting their hands on the actual system and seeing how snappy the design and OS was.

I don't think we knew that Bomberman or any of the indies like Shovel Knight were going to be there at launch until a while after the reveal event.

Edit: Here is the 2/28/17 Nindies Direct: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=la3jFygtces

Includes: SteamWorld Dig 2, Shovel Knight, Yooka-Laylee, Overcooked, Death-Squared, The Escapist 2, Dandara, Runner3, Graceful Explosion Machine, Wargroove (lol), and Stardew Valley.

I think that assuaged a lot of worries about support early on.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2785

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MatPiscatella We've seen some mention that MK8D has sold more units in 2018 than in 2017 in several countries. UK is an example,and Japan just came a little short of that milestone. My question is: has MK8D in the US done similar numbers compared to last year, or is it well below the numbers it did in 2017?

Physical revs are down, but just slightly, single-digit %. Tack on any reasonable digital assumption, and flat to modest growth seems likely.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
People pretty quickly changed their tune towards the Switch before launch with the Nindies Direct, Breath of the Wild reviews, and getting their hands on the actual system and seeing how snappy the design and OS was.

I don't think we knew that Bomberman or any of the indies like Shovel Knight were going to be there at launch until a while after the reveal event.

Edit: Here is the 2/28/17 Nindies Direct: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=la3jFygtces

Includes: SteamWorld Dig 2, Shovel Knight, Yooka-Laylee, Overcooked, Death-Squared, The Escapist 2, Dandara, Runner3, Graceful Explosion Machine, Wargroove (lol), and Stardew Valley.

I think that assuaged a lot of worries about support early on.

That was such a great start for the indie scene on NSW. Several of my indie darlings were featured in that direct.. Steamworld, Shovel Knight, Overcooked and Graceful Explosion Machine are all among my favorit indies all-time.

Deleted member 2340

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
2959.jpg

You know, Benji left because so many people put him to his word even though he always states it's just his personal opinion and his own conclusion from his part of field.

Benji left Era?

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
BTW you also forgot Wii Sports Resort, that also come out 2009 and as far as I recall was big. I know that was not your point but I was wondering myself what was in 2009 :-)
2009 was a pretty big year in general for Nintendo tentpole releases (Mario, Zelda, Pokémon, Wii Sports, Wii Fit, Mario & Sonic, etc), although Wii had a very slow 1H software wise. These were their US retail releases:

Nintendo DS
  • 01.12.09 Personal Trainer: Math
  • 02.13.09 Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon
  • 03.22.09 Pokémon Platinum
  • 04.05.09 Nintendo DSi
  • 04.05.09 Rhythm Heaven
  • 05.25.09 Personal Trainer: Walking
  • 06.08.09 The Legendary Starfy
  • 08.10.09 Fossil Fighters
  • 08.24.09 Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
  • 09.14.09 Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story
  • 10.12.09 Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky
  • 10.13.09 Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games
  • 11.02.09 Style Savvy
  • 12.07.09 The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks
Wii
  • 03.09.09 New Play Control! Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat
  • 03.09.09 New Play Control! Mario Power Tennis
  • 04.20.09 Excitebots: Trick Racing
  • 05.18.09 Punch-Out!!
  • 06.08.09 Wii Motion Plus
  • 07.26.09 Wii Sports Resort
  • 08.24.09 Metroid Prime Trilogy
  • 10.04.09 Wii Fit Plus
  • 10.13.09 Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games
  • 11.15.09 New Super Mario Bros. Wii

Contrast that with retail in 2018:

Nintendo 3DS
  • 01.19.18 Kirby: Battle Royale
  • 03.23.18 Detective Pikachu
  • 05.24.18 Dillon's Dead Heat Breakers
  • 06.08.18 Sushi Striker: Way of the Sushido
  • 07.13.18 Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
  • 08.03.18 Wario Ware Gold
  • 09.07.18 Yo-Kai Watch Blasters: Red Cat Corps / White Dog Squad
  • 10.12.18 Luigi's Mansion
Nintendo Switch
  • 02.09.18 Dragon Quest Builders
  • 02.16.18 Bayonetta 2
  • 03.16.18 Kirby: Star Allies
  • 04.20.18 Nintendo Labo: Toy-Con 01: Variety Kit
  • 04.20.18 Nintendo Labo: Toy-Con 02: Robot Kit
  • 05.04.18 Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
  • 05.18.18 Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition
  • 06.08.18 Sushi Striker: Way of the Sushido
  • 06.22.18 Mario Tennis Aces
  • 07.13.18 Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
  • 07.13.18 Octopath Traveler
  • 07.27.18 Go Vacation
  • 09.14.18 Nintendo Labo: Toy-Con 03: Vehicle Kit
  • 10.05.18 Super Mario Party
  • 10.12.18 The World Ends with You -Final Remix-
  • 11.16.18 Pokémon: Let's Go, Pikachu! / Let's Go, Evee!
  • 12.07.18 Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Wow at XBO sales.

Knew the Xbox had to be over 40 by now. People have been saying 30-35 for what feels like the entire generation.
I agree with this. It does feel like years almost that I've been reading the 35m+ figure. Was this a consistent over estimate or did it really take a long ass time to get from 30m to 40m? It seems to sell decently in the U.S and the U.K.

But some ppl were thinking it was at least 45 million by now. Probably going by the PS4 sales thinking XBO would be half.

This is actually lower than some expected. I expected higher. 45 million seemed like a safe bet. 43 even safer.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Not sure if posted in ERA and don't know where to post it:

PS4 has been the best selling console in Spain (top 4 European market, top 7 worldwide market in gaming revenue, traditional Sonyland country) during 2018:
https://vandal.elespanol.com/notici...ido-la-consola-mas-vendida-de-2018-en-espana/

Units sold ruing 2018 in Spain:
PlayStation 4 - almost 650.000
Nintendo Switch - almost 390.000
Nintendo 3DS - almost 75.000
Xbox One - almost 73.000
These numbers are incredible. Ps4 on another level, switch respectable but xbox one is terrible. This is why many big game releases have a ps4/xb1 ratio of 90/10. Last gen xbox did respectable in Spain but the momentum shift going into next gen is something else. Ps5 is going to take over the traditional home console market.

Edit: Spain yearly results are thread worthy.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not sure if posted in ERA and don't know where to post it:

PS4 has been the best selling console in Spain (top 4 European market, top 7 worldwide market in gaming revenue, traditional Sonyland country) during 2018:
https://vandal.elespanol.com/notici...ido-la-consola-mas-vendida-de-2018-en-espana/

Units sold ruing 2018 in Spain:
PlayStation 4 - almost 650.000
Nintendo Switch - almost 390.000
Nintendo 3DS - almost 75.000
Xbox One - almost 73.000

Those ratios are astounding.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, this could have been a thread you know :D

So, the difference between Switch and PS4 in the US (300K) is actually almost offset by Spain alone, despite the Switch doing actually pretty good. The presence of PlayStation in that country is something.
Yeah, the European countries not named France and the rest of the world is why I'm not confident on Switch coming out on top worldwide.

Had the gap in US been considerably larger, it would have been a different story. Those markets may be smaller, but they add up.

Not impossible for Switch to do it, but I find the PS4 being #1 worldwide more likely.
Japan, tho

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To the sales community

Thank you, all of you that reached out to here on Era, through DMs, and on Twitter. Your words of encouragement really put into perspective how many of you care about what is i do, and made me realize those that troll me or hate on me are a drop in the bucket compared to the immense amount of support I receive. I truly honestly had no idea how appreciated I am and I never want to take that for granted again.

So again, thank you.

I'm not leaving.
I will not stop posting about sales
I love the sales community

Fuck the haters. Sincerely

Let's GO!

CrazyDude

Oct 25, 2017
To the sales community

Thank you, all of you that reached out to here on Era, through DMs, and on Twitter. Your words of encouragement really put into perspective how many of you care about what is i do, and made me realize those that troll me or hate on me are a drop in the bucket compared to the immense amount of support I receive. I truly honestly had no idea how appreciated I am and I never want to take that for granted again.

So again, thank you.

I'm not leaving.

Let's GO!
Wishes do come true.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
To the sales community

So again, thank you.

I'm not leaving.

Let's GO!

LETS GO!!!

Cant stop, wont stop.

zero_suit

Oct 27, 2017
To the sales community

So again, thank you.

I'm not leaving.

Let's GO!
Glad to have you, man. Sincerely.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
To the sales community

So again, thank you.

I'm not leaving.

Let's GO!
You are the best.

Sagadego17

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To the sales community

So again, thank you.

I'm not leaving.

Let's GO!
FUCK YA SEAKING YOUR BACK!

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
To the sales community

So again, thank you.

I'm not leaving.

Let's GO!

screen-shot-2017-05-24-at-8-55-01-am.png

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
To the sales community

So again, thank you.

I'm not leaving.

Let's GO!
Oh wow. What did I miss lol. Well glad you're okay at least. Hopefully whatever hate you were receiving doesn't affect you too much. I can't imagine what you have to go through when you're just trying to engage in a hobby you love.

Let's Go Mat and Let's Go Benji are my favorite games

Magicpork

Oct 28, 2017
To the sales community

So again, thank you.

I'm not leaving.

Let's GO!

Welcome back!!! Won't be the same without you

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly

I've been battling depression for a while now. Not just because of the internet but also my personal life.

That outpouring of love I recieved in the last few days took my breath away. Truly. As someone whose been battling inner demons some of those posts and messages meant more than any words can express.

Thank you

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
To the sales community

So again, thank you.

I'm not leaving.

Let's GO!

That takes a lot of strength to be able to put up with all the toxicity you get and keep going forward. I hope you know how much we respect your decision and appreciate you sticking with us!

It's great to have you back!

m051293

Oct 29, 2017
To the sales community

So again, thank you.

I'm not leaving.

Let's GO!

Just happy to see you'll still be here - sales insights be damned.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
To the sales community

So again, thank you.

I'm not leaving.

Let's GO!
giphy.gif

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly

I've been battling depression for a while now. Not just because of the internet but also my personal life.

That outpouring of love I recieved in the last few days took my breath away. Truly. As someone whose been battling inner demons some of those posts and messages meant more than any words can express.

Thank you
Take all the time you need to recover bud, we'll be here and grateful when you're ready.

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
Aha! Obviously this is a secret message that Pokémon Let's Go is the real top-selling software title of 2018! All that talk about RDR2 and Smash was just a ruse, I knew it!

;-)

Glad you're sticking around, Benji . Take a tip from an old man, ignore the jibber-jabber of the young 'ums, and just hit them with your cane when they get too uppity. After a while you'll enjoy it.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
To the sales community

So again, thank you.

I'm not leaving.

Let's GO!
tenor.gif

OfficerRob

Oct 25, 2017
To the sales community

So again, thank you.

I'm not leaving.

Let's GO!
Just wanted to say I'm not a "sales community" kind of guy, but when I want to dip my toe into sales your posts is one of the few I seek out. Glad you are not letting people get you down and I look forward to your future posts.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Any word on how the systems are tracking for Jan?
IIRC Benji said all three systems were seeing the expected post-holiday drops, but that Switch still had some momentum left. Oh, and I think XBO had slowed down the most out of the three. Benji, feel free to slap me silly if I'm wrong or misinterpreted what you said.

allan-bh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To the sales community

So again, thank you.

I'm not leaving.

Let's GO!

Good decision. Haters can't win.

Welcome back!

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh and I see I still have the tag......

Mods if you dont mind, it's not quite time to retire that shit. Let's leave it up!!!