• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MatPiscatella the gap between Let's Go Pikachu and Let's Go Eevee seems unusually large. how big does it compare with previous pokemon games, and how are the legs looking for Let's Go in general (in comparison to the 3DS games)?

Larrikin

Oct 25, 2017
1/5th? The Switch has sold over 10 million units in the US I believe compared to the PS4 that is around 27-28 million. That's not even close to 1/5th.
I think he's saying that the Switch has 1/5 as many consoles sold as the PS4 does currently. Given that, any Switch exclusive game outselling games that are available to 5 times as many people is a big feat.

Mercenary09

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think he's saying that the Switch has 1/5 as many consoles sold as the PS4 does currently. Given that, any Switch exclusive game outselling games that are available to 5 times as many people is a big feat.
I know what he is saying but you can't compare the sales numbers of the Switch worldwide to the PS4 when you're talking about how a game sold in just one region. His statement was that they had the 5th best selling game of the year on 1/5th the numbers when that isn't the case b/c this isn't worldwide numbers. It's US. So in that case the Switch is actually closer to 1/2 the sales of the PS4.

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
FqWz3FX.jpg

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
Damn at Smash's performance. 1 month, retail only, #5 YTD. Also knocked GTAV off the top 10.

Red Dead also managed to sell the most this year, outselling COD with 2 less weeks.

BFV actually held very well. Retail Fallout 76 on the other hand...

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
predictions for 2019:

ps4 and xbox one: under 5m each
switch: over 6m
3ds: under 1m
vita: 6-7m

TheKidObi

Oct 27, 2017
Love me some good basketball game, sad this place don't talk about sport games enough even though NBA 2k19 and Madden 19 are top 3 and 4 sold games last year. But all y'all talk about is exclusive and the usual same old third party games from ubisoft and the rest.

Wish the fan base of the 2k community could make some noise so 2k can cut down on the MTX on mycareer and all the BS the dev be doing .

NBA 2k is like the only game on ps4 that gets 10 updates in 4 months and the dev don't even put out patch notes. Unacceptable behavior from the devs when other game dev don't treat their community like that. Sometimes I wish they don't gain any success till they actually fix shit.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I hadn't realized that Spider-Man wasn't just the best selling PS4 game of the year, but the best selling PS4 game overall. It beat Uncharted 4.
Um, I don't think we have confirmation that that is true even if we are counting just 1st Party. Spider-Man was certainly the best selling 1st Party PS4 title of 2018, but not LTD for the whole system as far we know. It also came in 3rd behind Red Dead Redemption 2 and Black Ops 4 for 2018.
Yeah, wouldn't be shocked if those three games are all over half a million. Especially since DK sales in Japan are probably at most 300k of the 1.5 million reported before the holidays.

My Prediction for the Games:

4 Million<
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Super Mario Odyssey
Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (4m with digital, 3.6m physical)

3 Million<
Pokémon Let's Go(combined, probably just over 3m with digital)

2 Million<
Splatoon 2 (closing in on 3m, maybe over with digital)

1 Million<
Super Mario Party (though very high, probably ~1.75m... maybe with digital above 2m?)
Mario + Rabbids

750k<
ARMS

500K<
Donkey Kong Country TF
Mario Tennis Aces
Kirby Star Allies
Pokken Tournament
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (remember, this launched over 250k last December)

250k<
Octopath Traveler (very close to 500k, maybe over w/ digital?)
Captain Toad
Fire Emblem Warriors
Hyrule Warriors DX
Labo 01 Variety

100k<
Bayonetta 2
Labo 02 Robot

Made my guesses for readjustments there.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Absolutely insane sales for the Switch and for Smash. Bonkers really. I never even knew Smash had that sort of draw, and looking at past sales, it seems only the Wii version did really well console sales wise, the other versions didn't hit 10 million. Hell Smash on Switch will have sold in a single month, what the Wii U and N64 versions did in their life time.

On one negative note, I do think the insane success of the Switch is going to be one of the reasons Nintendo isn't going to feel as pressured or compelled into fixing their online systems etc any time soon. They simply don't need to. The wider market doesn't seem to care, and their ever greens are carrying them to unprecedented success nonetheless.

guek

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry to ask but I haven't been keeping up with this thread, do we have any estimates to how many units Switch sold in December?

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Is it reasonable to assume that Smash Ultimate is the best selling game of 2018 if digital sales were recorded?

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I hate to be that guy (not to be confused with Thatguy [the user]), but did we get any VR vittles? I'm not holding my breath.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
I still remember when people said that nintendo would be lucky if it reaches Wii like sales. So here we are. 150M lifetime sales doeant look too unrealistic now. Hopefully they do iterative upgrades like what smartphone makers do.
Actually it was worse. Ignoring those who said Switch will reach WiiU sales at best, hardly anyone said it would reach Wii Sales level. When Kimishima at some point (when Switch was just starting to take off) mentioned Switch and "Wii like sales" in the same sentence, most forum goers ridiculed him.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
it must continue:
https://www./threads/betting-time-do-you-think-the-switch-will-be-a-success.1333545/
I had to take a look through that thread to see what I said at the time... not the worst:

"It isn't going to do so hot in the mid-2017 period, but that doesn't mean it is fully out. Nintendo has managed to pull a console around like the 3DS. The core concept of the console is still appealing as well."

"Not enough people are thinking long term enough here. I think the floor is N64 and max is 3DS. Probably around 8 million sold world wide this year."

In April, same thread:

"I think I was low on the max side and probably the amount sold this year, but not the worst prediction. I'd adjust my prediction to the floor being SNES and the max being GBA. It could reach Wii numbers if they make modular adjustments to it or continue to make SKU changes and upgrades."

"This is a repost from another thread also, but I think it clarifies a bit why there was such a negative reaction to the live reveal and why most of those worries haven't been justified... yet.

Many of the initial worries have been quelled.

1. High price of entry: Has yet to be an issue in most of the major regions. It will need a price drop eventually, but it is doing fine at $300 right now.
2. Zelda as the only launch title: Worked out fine. Nintendo knew they had something special on their hands with Zelda and they let it do the rest of the work.
3. Paid online/funky voice app: Rumors out of Japan have the paid online priced at ~$25 a year, which is pretty reasonable. We have yet to see how the rest of their online will function through the app, this could be a legit worry.
4. Not enough support from 3rd party publishers and weak 2017 lineup: I think Nintendo solved this in two ways, they actually paced out their line up very well on the 1st party side, then they had the Nindies direct right before launch that showed how they were going to fill in gaps between their tent pole releases. They also aren't blowing their entire load in the first year, which gives them plenty to work with moving forward. They may not have traditional 3rd party support yet, but it could come eventually if the system sells well initially (and it has).
5. High accessory prices: This hasn't really proved to be much of an issue yet, at least it isn't taken into account by many when they are thinking of buying the system. This could change as the bigger multiplayer titles are rolling out now with Mario Kart etc.

I think holding the system makes all the difference. It has a natural appeal and it will be easy to market it. The system itself is designed to be viral. You can demonstrate its versatility to someone in person very easily and play multiplayer with them right on the spot. Anecdotally, I am now personally up to 3 friends that never had a Wii U that got a Switch in its first month."

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
I'd like to see what Nintendo's Q3 guidance is going to look like. To quote Iwata, I wonder if it will be Nintendo level profits again

Deleted member 2785

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is it reasonable to assume that Smash Ultimate is the best selling game of 2018 if digital sales were recorded?

No. RDR2/COD are on a tier of their own.

I hate to be that guy (not to be confused with Thatguy [the user]), but did we get any VR vittles? I'm not holding my breath.

I'm doing a best selling VR required list later, but VR sales in the quarter didnt really break away from previous trajectory.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
True but then again, the Switch is literally Nintendos 2nd try for the same generation.
Oh sure, Nintendo pretty much operates on their own schedule at this point anyway. Just to be clear though my comment wasn't a dig at the PS4 or Xbox, I just think it's cool that upgrade hardware has had such a big impact.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The king of first party games sold the most hardware in December in US. It's amazing which games and characters Nintendo holds in its hands and how these are able to keep selling consoles since decades.