• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Awesome results! Smash Bros turned out to be the system seller that everyone (except for the few people who didn't like Smash and thought it was niche) turned out to be, who would've thought

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
But Octopath isn't on there. Other titles I expected included: Diablo 3, Crash Bandicoot, Monster Hunter,

DxjX-IaVYAAOxb0.jpg:large
Nobody expected Monster Hunter to make the cut. Pre-MHW Monster Hunter games have never been chart-toppers. I think the bigger story is that MK8, Super Mario Odyssey, and BOTW are still outselling many of this year's major first party titles. Nintendo isn't kidding about the strength of its evergreen titles.

Deleted member 49804

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
From a sales perspective, given everything happening in the market, gens just dont mean what they used to. The real kicker will be if streaming meaningfully gains momentum. There are in market consoles and not in market consoles. Or something.
I have a question about this tweet:

The top best-selling exclusive games lifetime to date are
#3 Mario Kart Wii
#7 Mario Kart DS
#16 Mario Kart 64
according to this:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/np...exclusives-between-1995-and-2018.82060/page-7

So is Mario Kart 8 above MK 64 already or even above Mario Kart DS?
The latter seems a bit unlikely.
Something I'm missing here or any error?

Oct 26, 2017
Nashville
Kirby and DK are probably between 400-600k range is my guess.

Octopath we know is over 220k(likely 300k+) and Mario Tennis Aces had a fantastic debut.
Both those are probably over 300k and 400k respectfully.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

#3 Mario Kart Wii
#7 Mario Kart DS
#16 Mario Kart 64
according to this:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/np...exclusives-between-1995-and-2018.82060/page-7

Based off revenue, it would seem so. Mario Kart DS could still have sold more since its sales will be higher if both revenue are the same. $40 vs $60 game

Entryhazard

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

m051293

Oct 29, 2017

So yeah, huge month hardware-wise. Switch with a lower price-point could really blow-up further in 2019. I wonder if the library and price-point will ever be compelling enough to get up to record-levels in the next few years.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
Kirby and DK are probably between 400-600k range is my guess.

Octopath we know is over 220k(likely 300k+) and Mario Tennis Aces had a fantastic debut.
Both those are probably over 300k and 400k respectfully.
Donkey Kong charted at #5 in the overall charts both April and May, so let's assume 100k+ each month there, and a year-end boost would easily put it 500k+. Kirby was the highest debut for the franchise in March, I think that was ~270k from memory... someone can correct me.

Mario Tennis had a #1 spot in June and I think again it was a ~270k+ debut from what we got leaked.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
MatPiscatella
I suppose you will touch the argument tomorrow on your youtube highlight but anyway what is your take on Nintendo Labo now that the Holidays are over?

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017

#3 Mario Kart Wii
#7 Mario Kart DS
#16 Mario Kart 64
according to this:

That's in dollar sales, which may affect DS as it was a $40 game, iirc.

Edit: Waaaay beaten. My bad.

Great result for Smash and Switch. Wowza.

Oct 26, 2017
Nashville
Donkey Kong charted at #5 in the overall charts both April and May, so let's assume 100k+ each month there, and a year-end boost would easily put it 500k+. Kirby was the highest debut for the franchise in March, I think that was ~270k from memory... someone can correct me.

Mario Tennis had a #1 spot in June and I think again it was a ~270k+ debut from what we got leaked.
Yeah, wouldn't be shocked if those three games are all over half a million. Especially since DK sales in Japan are probably at most 300k of the 1.5 million reported before the holidays.

My Prediction for the Games:

4 Million<
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Super Mario Odyssey
Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Super Smash Bros Ultimate

3 Million<
Pokémon Let's Go(Combined)

2 Million<
Splatoon 2
Super Mario Party

1 Million<
Maybe Mario and Rabbids?

500K<
Donkey Kong Country TF
Mario Tennis Aces
ARMS
Kirby Star Allies

250k<
Octopath Travellor
Captain Toad
Pokken Tournament
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

100k<
Bayonetta 2
Fire Emblem Warriors
Hyrule Warriors DX

Last edited:

Trago

Oct 25, 2017
"Smash isn't a system seller" should never show up as a post on this site ever again.

Oct 26, 2017
Nashville
Indeed, I think Octopath is somewhere around 500k too. Games typically have pretty decent legs in the US, unlike Japan.
Well we know it did 220k in its launch month of July. John Harker suggests dit probably had a normal big drop of 70-80% which would it over 250k. It may have honestly especially since that doesn't include digital which was probably a good share for a Nintendo game.

Deleted member 2785

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, I was curious to read/listen if you had one.

Eh I don't. They launched it and i thought it would be really promoted to go after folks looking for STEM related stuff, especially at holiday, and it just never materialized in a big way. It's a great idea, not sure about the whys and hows of what's happened since launch.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
"For the 2018 year, hardware spending increased 8 percent to $5.1 billion," said Piscatella. "Console hardware sales drove the growth, as PlayStation 4, Plug N Play devices, Switch and Xbox One all experienced year-on-year gains."

Damn, this is news.

Switch hit a home run the bottom of the 9th, 2 outs, 2 strikes to take the best selling current gen console for the year.

Amazing, seeing as it didnt come in first alot during the year. Also ....Sony is contributing to this but not really doing deals in Dec, like last year.

Lost in all the madness is XBO also saw YOY growth. Wow.

Those thinking its all downhll for the PS4, well yeah.....the next gen Playstation is probably a year away. But...Sony still has price cuts, deals as an ace in the hole for PS4 sales.

And this isnt even factoring in exclusives, 3rd party bundles that are coming soon.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Spidey holding on to that top ten spot in Dec, God of War and Spidey holding on in the top 10 for the year spot...

Smash Bros jumping into the top 10 for the year...what????

I said dayum.....

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
And with the price cuts, sales, GTA V is finally getting dethroned.

Its about damn time.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
It's exciting to see the Switch thrive, and not in the same way that the Wii thrived. The audience here is dying for content like BotW, Smash and Splatoon, and I'm sure Nintendo can see that.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's exciting to see the Switch thrive, and not in the same way that the Wii thrived. The audience here is dying for content like BotW, Smash and Splatoon, and I'm sure Nintendo can see that.
Well, I think Switch is more sustainable than the Wii was, precisely because of the audience asking for the kind of content you highlighted.

And with the price cuts, sales, GTA V is finally getting dethroned.

Its about damn time.
I think GTA5 will stick around for a year or so more at least.
... and then Rockstar will port it to PS5 and Xbox Scarlett, lol

Limabean01

Oct 29, 2017
WA, australia
super Niche bros and Niche-man look cute together as the #5 and #6 best selling games of 2018 :)

2 year old console sells better than 5 year old consoles.

Can't say I'm surprised.
I'm not making excuses. Just pointing out one (big) factor that it was the highest selling console of 2018.

I bet it will be the highest selling console of 2019 too, by possibly an even bigger margin as the PS4 and Xbox One sales continue to decrease leading into the next generation.
I don't quite understand what you are saying here. Yes it was against PS4's fifth year... but it also outsold ps4's 1st, 3rd, and 4th years, barely selling below its 2nd from the data we have. In 2019 it has every chance to outsell every single year of the PS4.

I could be wrong with what you meant, but your initial post makes it seem like switch is only good in comparison to current PS4 sales as of past PS4 sales were better. Iirc 2018 must have been it's second or third best year ever.

Mercenary09

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
MatPiscatella I was wondering was RDR2 the actual best selling game of the year or the one that made the most money? I was just wondering how COD went from being #1 for 2018 at the end of November to #2 for 2018 when it was higher in the December NPD.