• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Pekola

Oct 27, 2017
Just so we are all on the same page, these are stunning results for Nintendo.
Phantom Thief said:
The hybrid home/handheld system outsold the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. But it didn't just outsell them, it had the best December of any console this generation.

Congrats to Nintendo for being the Queen of 2018. Slaying against all odds. BUT, we can't really celebrate without Mariah Carey gifs so...

tumblr_myptqo6Q321sasmgio3_400.gif

ZoSo006

Oct 25, 2017
Winnipeg
I think plenty of 3rd Party games did very well on Switch for what they were. It is hard to break something like 500k+ (or the equivalent of selling that many units at full price since we are dealing with revenue) with old ports at budget prices like Crash. MH probably didn't come close considering it didn't outsell Mario Kart, Zelda, or Odyssey in its first month like Octopath Traveler and Mario Tennis did and neither of those broke the Top 10 for the year either.
Very good points. In retrospect as well, there probably would've been a higher demand for a, gem like DKTF that had only been on a low selling system before vs Diablo & Crash which were late ports from systems which a much higher install base.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
I still remember when people said that nintendo would be lucky if it reaches Wii like sales. So here we are. 150M lifetime sales doeant look too unrealistic now. Hopefully they do iterative upgrades like what smartphone makers do.

Uhhh I think it's a bit premature to be talking about 150 million sales. Got a long road ahead.

I think the December sales for XB1 and PS4 point to a tough year ahead. I guess PS4 still has plenty of price drop wiggle room. XB1 not so much.

Starwing

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2018
A few thoughts:

• Mario Kart 8 is now the 2nd best selling racing game of all time, after having famously been predicted to be the lowest selling game in the series.
  • Donkey Kong above Kirby, and know Kirby Star Allies was the best selling game in the series in the US, makes me REALLY happy that Tropical Freeze got its second life on the Switch.
  • Regarding Smash, I say DAAAAAAMMMMMNNNN
  • Super Mario Party was the secret Dark Horse of 2018.
  • Surprised no Octopath given it was July's best selling game.
  • Keep on climbing, Link.

Zelda1-800x400.jpg
Wow, that's very impressive! What is the highest selling racing game, by the way?

Sire Yoshi

Oct 25, 2017
RestEra Sales threads
Can't wait to see the shipped + digital figures for North America and the rest of the regions next Tuesday, I'm thinking this quarter for NA:

Smash >4.5M
Pokemon Lets Go >3M
MK8D, Super Mario Party >2M
SMO, Zelda: BotW >750K
Splatoon 2 >500K
DKTF/Kirby >200K

A bunch of these games got discounts during the last quarter on the eShop, while there was discounts for certain games at retailers for Black Friday/Cyber Monday

Can't wait either, we need those updated numbers with digital sales

Why is Nintendo dead silent? Where's the PR?

Why would they bother, they can release their PR once their full quarterly earnings is out, meanwhile NPD is good enough

Shepherd

Oct 25, 2017
"Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is the best-selling game of December 2018 and the fifth best-selling game of 2018, despite digital sales not currently being tracked by The NPD Group," Piscatella said. "Packaged software launch month dollar sales of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate exceeded those of the previous best in franchise history, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, by over 70 percent."
Doesnt this mean Ultimate sold around 4.6mi units in its launch month? Both were the same price at launch, right?

MisterHero

Oct 25, 2017
Are there impressions of how much money Switch is making alone vs Wii and DS combined? It was my biggest concern after it was revealed Switch was a hybrid. Switch could be performing extremely well but not enough to replace a 2nd hardware platform.

I suppose 3DS still sells but I can't imagine them being anywhere DS in its respective decline.

That's the best part of all of this. Best selling exclusive launch EVER. Best selling console of 2018. Best selling month of the generation. Best selling racing game since MKWii.

PR Announcement? Too bad! Waluigi time!
There was once a PR release written by "Princess Peach" thanking fans for making Nintendo #1 again. It was cheeky; I loved it.

Maybe this time it should be Wario showering himself in gold coins.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
Well we know that Kirby and DK sold in the range of 2 million. I imagine 11 would have been Mario Tennis, then Octopath, Diablo, Monster Hunter, Crash, Lego and maybe Starlink not far behind.
No way did Kirby and Donkey Kong sell close to 2 million in the US alone.
The only game you listed with a chance to make this list was Crash and it's budget price. Octopath, Diablo and MH have 0 shot at being in a top 10
I think Octopath had an equal shot compared to Crash, it was full price and had a much higher debut. Mario Tennis was almost definitely #11 on the list and then it was probably something like Mario + Rabbids, Just Dance 2019, Octopath, Crash, Diablo, Labo Variety Kit, Hyrule Warriors DX, Skyrim, and Captain Toad.

Last edited:

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A few thoughts:

• Mario Kart 8 is now the 2nd best selling racing game of all time, after having famously been predicted to be the lowest selling game in the series.
  • Donkey Kong above Kirby, and know Kirby Star Allies was the best selling game in the series in the US, makes me REALLY happy that Tropical Freeze got its second life on the Switch.
  • Regarding Smash, I say DAAAAAAMMMMMNNNN
  • Super Mario Party was the secret Dark Horse of 2018.
  • Surprised no Octopath given it was July's best selling game.
  • Keep on climbing, Link.

Zelda1-800x400.jpg
In all fairness it took MK8 a rerelease on a new console to achieve these numbers. The prediction was only for MK8 on WiiU and sure the prediction still got it wrong but not entirely. It sold very well for WiiU but it was a far cry from the numbers done on DS, 3DS, Wii or even N64.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
Are there impressions of how much money Switch is making alone vs Wii and DS combined? It was my biggest concern after it was revealed Switch was a hybrid. Switch could be performing extremely well but not enough to replace a 2nd hardware platform.

I suppose 3DS still sells but I can't imagine them being anywhere DS in its respective decline.
Just look at Nintendo earnings (operating income, net income):

HMu8xAw.jpg

Keep in mind this chart miss the current fiscal year results (revenue, operating income and net income will all grow in this FY compared to the previous one).

A bunch of other Nintendo related sales data:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/ni...ardware-sales-data-from-1983-to-present.2725/

Last edited:

Mr_Antimatter

Oct 28, 2017
I'm one of those new switch owners myself. It's a fun child friendly console with some nice titles, understandably popular for the holiday season.

dammitmattt

Oct 28, 2017
I really, REALLY want to know how the PS Classic did. The immediate price drops and widespread availability throughout the holidays point to some pretty weak sales, and I'm sure thay there were a lot of folks like me who love their NES/SNES Classic, were still excited for the PS Classic despite the generally mediocre games list, and ultimately cancelled their preorders once we realized how shitty of a product it was.

Peleo

Nov 2, 2017

There was once a PR release written by "Princess Peach" thanking fans for making Nintendo #1 again. It was cheeky; I loved it.

Maybe this time it should be Wario showering himself in gold coins.

I would appreciate if Donkey Kong provided us with the Revenue Results with a Banana / Yen conversion rate.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
I really, REALLY want to know how the PS Classic did. The immediate price drops and widespread availability throughout the holidays point to some pretty weak sales, and I'm sure thay there were a lot of folks like me who love their NES/SNES Classic, were still excited for the PS Classic despite the generally mediocre games list, and ultimately cancelled their preorders once we realized how shitty of a product it was.
Yeah, PlayStation Crap flopped big time.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
In all fairness it took MK8 a rerelease on a new console to achieve these numbers. The prediction was only for MK8 on WiiU and sure the prediction still got it wrong but not entirely. It sold very well for WiiU but it was a far cry from the numbers done on DS, 3DS, Wii or even N64.

Sure, but it's still Mario Kart 8 and it's still funny even with all that in mind it exceeded the prediction of that article by 4x on Wii U alone. Deluxe' continued amazing performance just prolongs the joke even further.

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Nintendo with the clean sweep. Amazing results. More than just the hardware, the software sales have been mindblowing.

Did Labo take off during the holiday season?

Deleted member 2785

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mat, iirc you've written in favor of the hypothesis that the "console generations" business model is in decline. With 2018 in the can, do you think the sales data adds any weight to this idea?

From a sales perspective, given everything happening in the market, gens just dont mean what they used to. The real kicker will be if streaming meaningfully gains momentum. There are in market consoles and not in market consoles. Or something.

JaredTaco

Oct 27, 2017
I might have my math wrong, but if Smash Ultimate sold 70 percent better than Brawl's launch month (March 2008 where it sold 2.7 million) that means it sold around 4.6 million copies in December (not counting digital). Wow!!!!!

Edit: Sorry!! My math is very wrong. The revenue generated was 70 percent higher. Let's try again. This won't be exact because not taking into account special edition versions that cost more than $60.

2.7 million times 50 = $135 million
$229.5 million is 70 percent higher
229.5 million divided by 60 = 3.8 million

Last edited:

Entryhazard

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Donkey Kong is a well known and liked IP, you just need to look at the sales of DKCR to see that. It beating Kirby in the US is not at all surprising.
In general Donkey Kong is a stronger brand than Kirby in US while Kirby is a stronger brand than Donkey Kong in Japan.
I mainly wanted to make the Fucking Donkey Kong reference lol
Still I find it notable as DKCTF is a straight port

I might have my math wrong, but if Smash Ultimate sold 70 percent better than Brawl's launch month (March 2008 where it sold 2.7 million) that means it sold around 4.6 million copies in December (not counting digital). Wow!!!!!
The calculation is being based on revenue, so the more likely estimate would put it at 3.6 million copies, as Brawl was a $50 game while Ultimate is $60.