• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

massoluk

Oct 25, 2017
Thailand
By any metrics, this month is obviously something to be impressed for Nintendo, especially best December ever of anything. And none of the digital sales are counted at that. The hot takes on first page are horrible.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
it must continue:
https://www./threads/betting-time-do-you-think-the-switch-will-be-a-success.1333545/

Curious to see if this is the catalyst for any more movement of third parties toward Switch. We're starting to see an uptick, but is this the year we see EA put stuff like Madden on it?
I don't think EA really has any major support for the Switch waiting in the wings (which is a little crazy, since I imagine that PvZ:GW would do rather well with the Splatoon crowd), but there's been a lot of indications that 2019 is when we're going to see a lot of third parties start to really unload on the Switch. Likely not with AAA GaaS-like stuff, but getting all kinds of games on the Switch, even if a bit old, is a hell of a change from how Nintendo has been treated for quite some time now.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah... and the software numbers just being physical are... well... phew.

You've GOT TO be kidding me. Haaaaaaahahahhahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahah
What's so funny? He's asking a serious question. Is it still on its way to 20 million?

Why are people making fun of people asking about 20 million? Did I miss something?

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
First two thoughts.

-FIFA19 outsold BFV in the US. Let that sink in for a moment.

-Smash is a revelation.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
What's so funny? He's asking a serious question. Is it still on its way to 20 million?

Why are people making fun of people asking about 20 million? Did I miss something?

Yes, it's a meme now. I think Benji (?) said that in his entire career he's never seen forums so bizarrely hyper-focused on a sales target number, as if it'll make or break Nintendo.

AuroraMusisAmica

One Winged Slayer
Aug 16, 2018
It's so wonderful to see The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild having such an impact almost two years later. So jealous of adventurers beginning their journey for the first time. ^_^

And Smash had the Ultimate opening. Well deserved.

But man, I'd love to know how games like Skyrim (One of 2018's top played games on Switch), Diablo III, Monster Hunter, and other 3rd parties are doing on the platform.

Serenitynow

Oct 25, 2017
People are shitting on the first poster, but I too am curious if 20 million is still attainable. What's the FY total at after December? Just an estimate would work. I'm sure we'll get a firm number (and a possible forecast revision) at the investors' briefing at the end of the month.

OuterLimits

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Hopefully Civilization 6 has been selling decently on Switch. It stayed in eshop top 30 for several weeks. I have become addicted to that game.

Nocturnal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait to see the shipped + digital figures for North America and the rest of the regions next Tuesday, I'm thinking this quarter for NA:

Smash >4.5M
Pokemon Lets Go >3M
MK8D, Super Mario Party >2M
SMO, Zelda: BotW >750K
Splatoon 2 >500K
DKTF/Kirby >200K

A bunch of these games got discounts during the last quarter on the eShop, while there was discounts for certain games at retailers for Black Friday/Cyber Monday

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
I got a Switch for my child in December. It's such a great console. The sales are well deserved.

Hellwarden

Oct 25, 2017
Tropical Freeze surpassed Kirby Star Allies in sales.

That must mean it's passed 2 million in sales right?

If so...

yeaaaaah.gif

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
it must continue:
https://www./threads/betting-time-do-you-think-the-switch-will-be-a-success.1333545/
I don't use this word a lot, but reading this is so cringey.

Like I'm getting second hand embarrassment, and I can't even say it made sense at the time. The hybrid concept was always setting the switch up for at least some level of success. Those first page hot takes are unbelievably tone deaf.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
People doubted Nintendo, said it was a weak year overall and bam, best selling console.
Quite impressive indeed.

Oct 27, 2017
People are shitting on the first poster, but I too am curious if 20 million is still attainable. What's the FY total at after December? Just an estimate would work. I'm sure we'll get a firm number (and a possible forecast revision) at the investors' briefing at the end of the month.

We have a thread where you may discuss this very thing:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/nintendo-needs-to-sell-14-93-million-units-in-the-six-months-from-october-2018-to-march-2019.77882

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
People will still find ways to declare doom scenarios for Nintendo.

People (and by people I mean PS fans) can't stand a successful Nintendo. I really don't know why. Xbox fans are more neutral.
No true, I'm a PlayStation fan and Nintendo wining doesn't bother me. I got both.

PlayStation and Nintendo like Japanese games so their audience is more likely to overlap.

silby

Oct 27, 2017
Mat, iirc you've written in favor of the hypothesis that the "console generations" business model is in decline. With 2018 in the can, do you think the sales data adds any weight to this idea?

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Damn I was wrong about Black Ops beating Red Dead for the year. Should never doubt Rockstar.

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
The Switch isn't having a momentary flash alongside Super Smash Bros. Nintendo's device was able to edge out PlayStation 4 for the 2018 hardware crown overall.
Huh? Didn't it lose most months of 2018 and only came ahead at the end because of a massive December? This makes it sound like it was selling best throughout the year.