• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Great month and year for Nintendo! Surprised PS4 nearly matched it at this stage of its life, I expect it to start falling behind this year by a decent bit unless they finally drop the price officially below $300. Xbox also had a good year overall, and the industry is healthy which is most important. Looking forward to 2019's big hitters!

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Do we know roughly the ratio of physical/digital sales for Nintendo platforms? It should be relatively simple to figure out by comparing physical sales to Nintendo's own sales figures, but I don't know where to find that data.

It'd be good for estimating the true sales figures for a lot of these games.

I imagine it varies wildly by game. Smash Bros is guaranteed to have a much higher ratio than Pokémon for instance.

H2intensity

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Smash Ultimate numbers are impressive. Claiming no 5 spot in 2018 like that in a short time and only one platform.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
so am I correct in assuming that the obsession with the 20 million forecast is to just have a talking point

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
MatPiscatella Don't know if you can answer my question, but...worth a try
I have two friends that bet on a podcast between RDR2 or Black Ops 4 being the best-selling game of 2018. If you include PC sales, which friend should pay up?

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I updated the title, but you're going to want to make your OP a bit less hyperbolic and Nintendo-focused (Nintendo Switch IS on the charts, for instance, that is the subject of the thread, sales being charted!) When creating threads like this we have quite a bit of responsibility to the community.

You will also want to collect industry PR quotes from the proper sources at Nintendo, Playstation, and Xbox and place them in as they become available. I'm sure people will be willing to help round out the OP as more info comes in.
Yup, done! I've made these before, but I was actually making this one on the go so it kind of came out a mess (originally I hadn't intended for it to be a general NPD thread at all, just the hardware stuff).

Anyway, it should be more to your liking now I hope :)

lost7

Feb 20, 2018
The greatest success story of last year for me has to be Monster Hunter World. Can't believe it somehow managed to keep its spot in the top 10 for the whole year, Capcom literally struck gold with that one. If they play their cards right, they could honestly have a franchise that could go toe to toe with some of the biggest western games.

Also, Smash is just wow.

ZoSo006

Oct 25, 2017
Winnipeg
Holy shit big N, those physical sales numbers for Smash are incredible!

But Octopath isn't on there. Other titles I expected included: Diablo 3, Crash Bandicoot, Monster Hunter,

DxjX-IaVYAAOxb0.jpg:large
It is surprising to see Kirby and DKTF outsell MH & Crash.

Eulala

Aug 8, 2018
If the world ever ends, just know that no matter what, Grand Theft Auto V and Mario Kart 8 will still be charting.

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
That top 20 for the year with all the Switch titles lacking digital. Would be very interesting to see it with the digital adjustments.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
If I'm understanding it right the NES Classic outsold everything except the most popular Switch SKU for both December and the year as a whole.

The wording suggests as far as individual SKUs are concerned it would be second. It doesn't appear to be saying it moved more units than the platforms PS4 or Xbox One when accounting for all their SKUs

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Damn. So in the end Smash ended up being the best selling exclusive? I know there was a topic for this.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
so am I correct in assuming that the obsession with the 20 million forecast is to just have a talking point
Nintendo has seemingly made an insane amount of money this holiday season so there's really nothing to say in regards to financials.

The wording suggests as far as individual SKUs are concerned it would be second. It doesn't appear to be saying it moved more units than the platforms PS4 or Xbox One when accounting for all their SKUs
Yeah, I should've phrased that differently.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Super Smash Bros is a sales juggernaut!!!

I find it so boring that CoD, Madden and NBA 2K are always in the top 5 each year. It took a new flagship Rockstar open word game to beat CoD from the top spot. But it is what it is.

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I'm not making excuses. Just pointing out one (big) factor that it was the highest selling console of 2018.

I bet it will be the highest selling console of 2019 too, by possibly an even bigger margin as the PS4 and Xbox One sales continue to decrease leading into the next generation.

But PS4 and XB1 sales are still very healthy even this late into their lifecycles. Switch topping them for the year was still no insignificant feat

kuroneko0509

Oct 25, 2017
Who claimed creation of the December NPD thread? This isn't the proper format/title/etc.
OG title:
NPD: Switch top platform of December 2018, highest selling console of 2018 by units and revenue
Updated title:
December 2018 NPD Results: Switch highest selling console of 2018 by units and revenue, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate top selling game of December
Past 5 NPD thread titles:
NPD November 2018: All three consoles over 1.3m for the month
NPD Oct 2018: COD: BO4 and RDR2 top the charts, PS4 best selling hardware
NPD Sep 2018: Spider-Man has largest launch in PlayStation exclusive history, PS4 best selling HW
NPD August 2018: Madden NFL 19 #1, Switch #1 in hardware
NPD July 2018: Octopath Traveler #1, Switch Best Selling Console

not sure what's proper title you're saying other than "NPD Month Year". November title doesn't even mention which games on top

Doogdogg

Oct 27, 2017
Zelda, Smash, Mario odyssey, MK8 are going to have some silly numbers at the end of the Switch life.

ccieag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Vail, CO
Cannot wait to hear the WW numbers for Smash - and digital is not included which means that Smash is probably going to be number one for quite a long time. Unless Pokemon Gen 8 can beat it out or something next year.

Simply amazing numbers for Nintendo.

Oct 27, 2017
OG title:
NPD: Switch top platform of December 2018, highest selling console of 2018 by units and revenue
Updated title:
December 2018 NPD Results: Switch highest selling console of 2018 by units and revenue, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate top selling game of December
Past 5 NPD thread titles:
NPD November 2018: All three consoles over 1.3m for the month
NPD Oct 2018: COD: BO4 and RDR2 top the charts, PS4 best selling hardware
NPD Sep 2018: Spider-Man has largest launch in PlayStation exclusive history, PS4 best selling HW
NPD August 2018: Madden NFL 19 #1, Switch #1 in hardware
NPD July 2018: Octopath Traveler #1, Switch Best Selling Console

not sure what's proper title you're saying other than "NPD Month Year". November title doesn't even mention which games on top
It was resolved earlier, the thread was just getting started at the time. Thanks!

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
I'm honestly super impressed by PlayStation. They are closing in on 90 + million and still managing to do quite great numbers. 100 + million shouldn't be too far off from reality now.

Congratulations to Nintendo! This is called the Smash Effect.

IMO this is an unprecedented moment in gaming. We have PS4 - a 5+ year old console duking it out toe to toe with the Switch. That should say A LOT about the PlayStation brand and Nintendo Brand.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
Curious to see if this is the catalyst for any more movement of third parties toward Switch. We're starting to see an uptick, but is this the year we see EA put stuff like Madden on it?

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit big N, those physical sales numbers for Smash are incredible!

It is surprising to see Kirby and DKTF outsell MH & Crash.

I think plenty of 3rd Party games did very well on Switch for what they were. It is hard to break something like 500k+ (or the equivalent of selling that many units at full price since we are dealing with revenue) with old ports at budget prices like Crash. MH probably didn't come close considering it didn't outsell Mario Kart, Zelda, or Odyssey in its first month like Octopath Traveler and Mario Tennis did and neither of those broke the Top 10 for the year either.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yep, Smash certainly was always going to be one the best seller of the year. Nintendo advertised it as the Event Game, the content and the reviews along proved that it was and those sales are pretty great.

Going to be very fun to watch the legs on this one, espicially with the DLC Characters probably bringing in entirely brand new fans with wild unexpected character choices. Probably going to be one of the top 5 sellers of the entire switch lifespan when all is settled.

2019 is going to be really big for Switch, Continued sales of prior nintendo games, Smash DLC with (most likely) wild third party picks, Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing, A Proper Mainline Console Pokemon game, and probably something else that hasn't even been revealed yet (Mario Maker Switch maybe? And also possibly Bayo 3 and Metroid Prime 4 releases as well? They aren't going to sell as well as the other titles, probably come in lower than Luigi's Mansion 3, but they'll still sell well). Add in possibly a new rumored hardware revision and maybe a price drop on the first model and woof... gonna be a big one.

CrazyDude

Oct 25, 2017
Amazing how we go from Nintendo being doomed when generation to knocking it of the park the next.