• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island

More details on the contents & more at the link. Really nice to see more cave shooters hitting multiple platforms as well as plopping back on xbox.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Very nice. Not my favourite of the Cave shooters, but it's still a good one.

Dlent

Nov 2, 2017
I might finally get to play that second game, although I'd rather have it on PC.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
Aaaaaaaaaaaand we still don't have anywhere to play Ibara Kuro :P
Let's hope it sticks...
I had hope when they started pushing games to steam but then they stopped.

Anyway, DS is a nice game, a little too much sensitive to proper slowdown implementation to be able to get the TTLB, but it's a step in the right direction.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Apparently it contains:

Deathsmiles
-Arcade
-Version 1.1
-Normal
Deathsmiles Mega Black Label
-Arcade
-Version 1.1
-Normal
Deathsmiles II
-Arcade
-Deathsmiles IIX
-Arrange
and "New Functions" whatever that means. Very generous package.

Hope they're doing more of the 360 era arcade games. Hell, gimme all the cave shmups, I'll buy them again lol

Completely forgot Cave existed. What have they been doing recently?

Mobile games. Dunno if any of them have been a hit though

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda wild how Cave's entire catalog hasn't been ported to fucking everything at this point. Seems like easy money

Kyubajin

Feb 22, 2019
I'd love the same but with Mushihimesama, or even better a CAVE collection from DonPachi onwards.

Oct 25, 2017
Deathsmiles_2.jpg

Only reason I remember this game is the back cover

j^aws

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Every generation, we see ancient Namco and Atari collections constantly re-released. Cave should be doing the same with their IPs like this, so that they aren't forgotten. Their catalogue is quite vast.

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Any Cave ports are auto buys for me for the most part but it'll be interesting to see how slowdown is handled here.

Their third generation hardware is pretty enigmatic and they surely designed their games around the performance bottlenecks they ran into, which can have pretty big implications when it comes to the difficulty curve. Seeing a developer nail down the slowdown in a repeatable way and release a series of accurate ports (not demanding perfection) would be awesome, but I'll just be happy to get a good port of Ibara+Ibara Kuro some day

Last edited:

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
This looks like my kind of batshit insane, hilariously godawful tagline aside.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
fucking awesome. day one.

also awesome that M2 Shottriggers can hopefully get some more deserving Cave titles hehehehe

Wow, at least they were being honest in what they were publishing.

the loli pandering is the least appealing part of CAVE stuff. Dodonpachi series does it since Dai-Ou-Jou as well (though not as egregious as these games imho)

Kraid

Oct 25, 2017
Cuck Zone
𝕲𝖎𝖆𝖓𝖙 𝕮𝖔𝖜 𝕸𝕬𝕽𝖄

Dec 14, 2017
Add me to the list hoping for other 360 era cave stuff to get ports. Mushihime-sama futari next, pls cave?

Most likely going to get the switch version of this as well, with the horizontal style don't need my flipgrid for tate.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Yes but will there be a preorder bonus where I can get a swappable cover for my console that I'll be too embarrassed to use?

Sure, why not. I never got around to playing the original but played 2X. Just glad more Cave shmups are slowly getting ported to current...well, almost last-gen consoles, but glad it's still happening.

Deathsmiles_2.jpg

Only reason I remember this game is the back cover
Only reason I remember the game was for the LE which contained a faceplace for the 360.

P8.jpg

Kudo

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'll definitely get this, don't think we've had proper port of 2 in EU.

baconcow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Hope City Connection can get the controller latency figured out because the rest of their Switch releases have been pretty poor in that department.

MrDoctor

Oct 26, 2017
USA
city connection port has me hesitant. will have to see how it compares to pc
I'm probably in the minority on this one, but I'd love to see Guwange at some point.
it will already be on series s/x if you have the 360 port
Only reason I remember the game was for the LE which contained a faceplace for the 360.

P8.jpg
lol i still use that faceplate and some of the looks i've gotten have been priceless

j^aws

Oct 31, 2017
UK
DkVRCPO.jpg

1jg7mzM.jpg

Taito/ SE/ Cave and the powers that be, save this lost Ibara on PS2 next, and package its Arrange Mode/ Black Label Mode onto modern systems. It wasn't the best port and deserves better.

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
That's cool, don't have the second one, the first one is fun. Might get it.

Although I'm still mad at Cave for not updating more than half of their games on iOS. Bug Princess/2 and a few others are unplayable since iOS 11 since they didn't update for 64 bit. They did update Death Smiles and added controller support at least (even if the controller support is bare bones as can be).

sixteen-bit

Oct 30, 2017
DkVRCPO.jpg

1jg7mzM.jpg

Taito/ SE/ Cave and the powers that be, save this lost Ibara on PS2 next, and package its Arrange Mode/ Black Label Mode onto modern systems. It wasn't the best port and deserves better.
Yeah definitely agree the Ibara PS2 port was wack. Arika totally showed Taito up with their 'Luda and DOJ ports on PS2.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
Well that is interesting. Still have my 360 copy kicking around.

I'll double dip if this is a physical release.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder what this means for the existing standalone digital release of 1 since that was a different publisher, is that going to get pulled now? It'd be really nice to have both games on my mini arcade cabinet PC rather than needing to hook a PS4/Switch up to the monitor and control panel externally just for IIX. I guess as a worst case scenario I could get a secondary Switch dock inside there and dock when I need to, I'll probably get this on Switch regardless since it's going to be way more convenient than having to plug the old 360 in for IIX

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
PlayStation 4

www.play-asia.com

Deathsmiles I & II (English)

Deathsmiles I & II (English) for PlayStation 4 * In our warehouse. Series 3 titles X 3 versions in one packageThe horizontal shooter Death Smiles released in the arcade in 2007, the upgraded version Death Smiles Mega Black Label, and the sequel Death Smiles IIX Makai no Merry Christmas are all...

www.play-asia.com

Deathsmiles I & II [Special Edition] (English)

Deathsmiles I & II [Special Edition] (English) for PlayStation 4 * In our warehouse. Series 3 titles X 3 versions in one packageThe horizontal shooter Death Smiles released in the arcade in 2007, the upgraded version Death Smiles Mega Black Label, and the sequel Death Smiles IIX Makai no Merry...

Nintendo Switch

www.play-asia.com

Deathsmiles I & II (English)

Deathsmiles I & II (English) for Nintendo Switch * In our warehouse. Series 3 titles X 3 versions in one packageThe horizontal shooter Death Smiles released in the arcade in 2007, the upgraded version Death Smiles Mega Black Label, and the sequel Death Smiles IIX Makai no Merry Christmas are all...

www.play-asia.com

Deathsmiles I & II [Special Edition] (English)

Deathsmiles I & II [Special Edition] (English) for Nintendo Switch * In our warehouse. Series 3 titles X 3 versions in one packageThe horizontal shooter Death Smiles released in the arcade in 2007, the upgraded version Death Smiles Mega Black Label, and the sequel Death Smiles IIX Makai no Merry...

www.gematsu.com

Deathsmiles I & II for PS4, Xbox One, and Switch has English text support; new trailer and Gothic wa Mahou Otome character DLC announced

Publisher City Connection and developer Cave have released a new trailer for Deathsmiles I & II, as well as confirmed that the game will support English, Japanese, French, and Spanish language…

Sep 29, 2020
Just give me all Cave shooters as separate releases at 10 buck a pop or a collection at full price. I can't justify paying €40-60 for 1-2 games and I want them all so it's expensive AND clutters up my Home Screen.

| TrusT |

Apr 19, 2020
Where's a good place to pick up Japanese Xbox gift cards? They're currently sold out on Amazon JP and Play-Asia.

FinFunnels

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I wish II was coming to PC but I'll happily buy these on either PS4 or Switch. Maybe both.

Cave shmups are just so damn high quality and a real joy to play.

Also,

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Oh bummer. Digital only on Xbox?

I'd like to have them on disc. I have Deathsmiles on 360 on disc and Deathsmiles II (or maybe IIX?) edit: apparently "Deathsmiles2 X" for 360 from the Marketplace. Wish I could buy a US copy of that game in physical form.
I guess I'll just import a physical PS4 release, maybe Switch...

Last edited: