• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I have four in strength now, and the enemies take the same number of hits to die.

Yeah, that's pretty much my only real complaint about the game.. the buff's almost seem negligible. You have to get 4-5 to see any difference, and it's pretty slight even then or at least it feels that way. I feel like they were aiming for a game with flat damage from beginning to end and then decided to do this instead.

That said, I just wrapped up the game last night and enjoyed the hell out of it.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Uhh...how do I get more arrows? I've gotten myself into a situation where I can't solve a puzzle because I can't fire any arrows.

And all of the enemies are dead. I event went back to the Reaper Headquarters and that didn't recharge them.

Nm, hit some mushrooms!

Hit anything... enemies, pots, parry certain enemy projectiles etc etc..

PunchDrunk28

Oct 28, 2017
This game was not on my radar, but after reading up on it and watching a couple videos, I need to pick this one up soon!

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Man, I really wish I would like this game more cause these are exactly my games normally, but so far I can't understand the high metacritic for this.

Performance on Series X is weird, like it's choppy very often or skips frames or something, it just looks weird sometimes.
Gameplay is uninspiring and sterile and kinda stiff to roll out of the way and then hit stuff and deaths are completely meaningless and therefore the healing pots are completely meaningless too.

I don't know, I'm not too far yet and just an hour in, but I regret my 17 bucks for this a little bit.

Last edited:

oriic

Prophet of Truth - Press
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Hungary
I think I'm taking a break because I'm the world's lamest player. Betty boss is a bit much for me at the moment. :D Any tips/tricks? (My HP is full upgraded)

Blizz

Oct 25, 2017
So I've just finished the 3rd major area and defeated the boss there, anyone else thinks that area probably was supposed to have more it?
(they didn't even have those quips throughout the area with Betty like there was with the Witch and the Frog King).

Anyways, before I proceed to what I presume is the last boss, is there anything I might miss if I go straight to it or can all the secrets and hidden places be found in the post-game?

May 5, 2018
Still liking Death's Door a lot and am only in the 1srt major area for one of the Giant Souls. However, I still feel like the lack of a map is a choice I'm not feeling great about. I wish there was a map for not only the locations you're at but also helping you find certain NPC's and for finding life plant pots. I found myself getting lost trying to find a pot early on. but inside the 1st area's big dungeon so far the plant situation has been plentiful and not an issue so this problem with no map for plant pots might vary depending on the location. Also I found one mini boss that's pretty brutal and I died 6 times on, but its clear that its an optional encounter and I'm underpowered so I should take him on when I get stronger.

Otherwise again a really good game with a solid and soothing OST. I'm actually very into the torch puzzles that I've seen in the first area.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2021
So I've just finished the 3rd major area and defeated the boss there, anyone else thinks that area probably was supposed to have more it?
(they didn't even have those quips throughout the area with Betty like there was with the Witch and the Frog King).

Anyways, before I proceed to what I presume is the last boss, is there anything I might miss if I go straight to it or can all the secrets and hidden places be found in the post-game?

You can find everything post-game, you've got 2 / 3 bosses left depending how you'd class one of them

Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm taking a break because I'm the world's lamest player. Betty boss is a bit much for me at the moment. :D Any tips/tricks? (My HP is full upgraded)

This is one of those bosses where you want to stay real close and learn the timing for his backhand movements. You can hit the boss once, then dodge, again, dodge again, and keep doing that numerous times until they decide to do the roll. On the roll, wait to input the dodge command until *after* they hit the ground initially, otherwise the boss will rotate towards you and get a free hit. You don't need magic for this fight, and probably should focus entirely on your movement. When snowballs start dropping from the sky, you'll know you're reasonably close to winning.

Also forgot: they do a sort of stomp attack -- you can punish it pretty hard. Maybe 2 or 3 hits before you need to move.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm about the tackle the third boss.

Gameplay wise: I think the design is absolutely fantastic. I love the combat for the most part and am addicted to the gameplay loop.

Outside of this: everything else, the graphics, music and really anything on the surface, feels like Indie game 101. It looks and sounds like a lot of other Indy games and the designs themselves are too on the nose as far as what movies inspired the creator. I really wish it carved an identity of its own.

Agree with most about the RPG aspects of the game. I feel like this game could be tackled on the base stats alone and that the upgrades offer the player a marginal edge against what the game throws at them. The only exception to this is Magic which is OP by the fifth upgrade. I've only been using the same sword throughout as well as I didn't find the two other weapons I have feel any different so I just went with the higher attack stack and relied on my dodge skills to do the rest for me.

A solid game and still, I think, a top 10.

Last edited:

Citizencope

Oct 28, 2017
Man I don't see myself beating the final boss with my 4 health points. Now I have to search high and low for hours looking for upgrades. Ugh!

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017
This game has the slowest trickle of upgrades, weapons, etc...

It's a great game but it feels a little sparse on gameplay variety so far (just made it past the Witch after 4 hours).

XVerdena

Oct 28, 2017
20210722-182622.jpg
Is there a puzzle to solve here or what?

jamsy

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished it at about 9 hours and 75% completion.

Question - what does
ringing the bell and turning day into night
do?

jimboton

Oct 27, 2017
44% done and so far, definitely on the not really feeling the game camp.

Exploration is meh, puzzles are extremely simplistic and the merely competent combat is not nearly enough to fill in the void.

So far every example of 'secret' is either an only partially hidden by the perspective path leading to a shrine or upgrade, or a simple situation of lacking the tool to get some item, like "guess I need the hookshot for this" or "I'll have to come back with bombs to get small exp upgrade #21". It's metroidvania by the numbers, no mystery, no figuring anything out, just plain busywork.

It's not offensive or painful to play, controls are good, so are graphics and music, but after seeing it mentioned in the same breath as Hollow Knight or Hyper Light Drifter, yeah, kind of underwhelmed. Hoping it picks up a bit in the second half.

DrunkDadbr

Banned
May 19, 2021
So far every example of 'secret' is either an only partially hidden by the perspective path leading to a shrine or upgrade, or a simple situation of lacking the tool to get some item, like "guess I need the hookshot for this" or "I'll have to come back with bombs to get small exp upgrade #21". It's metroidvania by the numbers, no mystery, no figuring anything out, just plain busywork.
there are riddles. you have to solve one to get the final sword. nothing to write about, though. took me 5 minutes.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished it at about 9 hours and 75% completion.

Question - what does
ringing the bell and turning day into night
do?

There is like a secret ending you can get in the game that requires you to go to particular locations and collect items when the world is night. I think it unlocks a secret boss? I haven't gotten much input on how worth that extra content is though.

Mar 19, 2021
There is like a secret ending you can get in the game that requires you to go to particular locations and collect items when the world is night. I think it unlocks a secret boss? I haven't gotten much input on how worth that extra content is though.

Heavy post-game spoilers below:

It's not super worth it if you're looking for a good "story" ending, but I found collecting the items and finding some more secrets pretty fun. There's 1 secret boss and 1 more Avarice challenge, 5 other items to find as well. Some differences in the areas in night mode too

DinkyDev

Feb 5, 2021
Post-game. Does anybody know if...

The Rusty Garden Trowl glows if you're in the right zone entirely if there's still a seed to find... or do you have to be actually nearby the seed. I know where the last plant pot is, but not the seed! Been going through all my red glowing doors, but the trowl never glows blue after passing into that door... Guessing I need to explore with it?

EDIT: 2 minutes after posting this I found it... doh!

Last edited:

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
The Frog King was shockingly easy.

Kinda scared to continue as I don't wanna face off against this supposed difficult 3rd boss :(

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
The Frog King was shockingly easy.

Kinda scared to continue as I don't wanna face off against this supposed difficult 3rd boss :(

i had a harder time with some of the optional bosses than the third one. it definitely scared me at first because I was like how the HELL am I supposed to do this? then I took a step back and reevaluated how I approached them, and it was surprisingly not bad at all - just be patient and remember you dont always need to be attacking, which was my biggest issue (in most action games Lol, my damn lack of patience)

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
So what is actually dictating when a health plant comes back and is available again? Is it just on reload or there's also another metric?

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Just got the second giant soul with about 50% completion.

I'm going to be honest, I'm fairly disappointed by it so far. I think a lot of this game is carried by the art, music, and how ridiculously fluid it is to play (which are great, and why I'm still playing), because moment-to-moment I'm finding it pretty unrewarding and kind of dull. The second half of the "dungeons" - after you get the key item - are extremely mundane and plodding design-wise. The seed collectible is almost completely meaningless - the game is constantly creating shortcuts back to an area with the door which removes their use as a healing checkpoint, and on top of that bosses have a door right before them and it'll just let you retry the more difficult combat sections immediately. The trinkets do nothing and aren't interesting enough from a lore perspective to make them something substantial to acquire and devote level design to in the world. The soul, health, and magic upgrades are so incremental that they don't really feel impactful.

So yeah, a bit bummed but I'm liking it enough to continue and finish.
My thoughts 100%. A good first impression and a premise with a ton of potential, but having just gotten to the third major zone myself, my feelings are that everywhere you look you find missed opportunities

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Huh... Anyone else ever run into an issue where you stop accumulating souls?

I'm killing enemies but my soul counter in the bottom right stays at 0 in the bottom right corner of the pause menu??

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017
I just obtained my second giant soul and I've yet to find a single shard. I thought I was being thorough but I haven't gone back to check too many older areas.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
I just obtained my second giant soul and I've yet to find a single shard. I thought I was being thorough but I haven't gone back to check too many older areas.
I just got the second giant soul as well and I have 2/4 of each of the shards... Considering how far we seem to be in the game I imagine there's only one upgrade available for each...

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017
I just got the second giant soul as well and I have 2/4 of each of the shards... Considering how far we seem to be in the game I imagine there's only one upgrade available for each...

I legit just found one like a minute after commenting but yeah, that's a tad disappointing. Guess I need to spend more time running around the overworld. I wish the game had some form of a map, I find it hard to remember where I've gone in some of these areas.

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
My thoughts 100%. A good first impression and a premise with a ton of potential, but having just gotten to the third major zone myself, my feelings are that everywhere you look you find missed opportunities
I will say I finished it with 100% completion and came away a bit higher on the game than what that post let on, namely by a couple great bosses at the end and some pretty interesting post-game stuff. But all those issues still stand (among some other ones I didn't go into, backtracking is an absolute pain in some areas) and ultimately I just found it on the whole pretty unfulfilling compared to its contemporaries and inspirations.

I'm really hoping whenever TUNIC comes out it doesn't suffer the same issues.

jamsy

Oct 27, 2017

Heavy post-game spoilers below:

It's not super worth it if you're looking for a good "story" ending, but I found collecting the items and finding some more secrets pretty fun. There's 1 secret boss and 1 more Avarice challenge, 5 other items to find as well. Some differences in the areas in night mode too

Yeah, this sounds entirely way too complicated and time consuming. I think I'll just look it up on Youtube.

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
slight spoilers but...
there's actually 16 shrines total! not just the 8. I gave up after my first of each upgrade lol
they're really hidden good, or at least require significant backtracking, damn..

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
slight spoilers but...
there's actually 16 shrines total! not just the 8. I gave up after my first of each upgrade lol
they're really hidden good, or at least require significant backtracking, damn..
Ugh... I'm all for exploring and backtracking in that kind of game but without any kind of map or even statistics telling you, for example, that you are still missing stuff in a particular zone then fuck that.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I legit just found one like a minute after commenting but yeah, that's a tad disappointing. Guess I need to spend more time running around the overworld. I wish the game had some form of a map, I find it hard to remember where I've gone in some of these areas.
I just started the second dungeon (i think) and I have about 4 or 5. I made it a point to quickly run through the cemetary and the area outside the Witch's house again before going to the next area. Also the Stranded Sailor gives you hints about the location of some of them.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Got 100%. Really enjoyable overall, particularly the endgame/postgame stuff.

I have some issues with how simple the combat is, and though there are good ideas with the magic system for combat, it can lead to some weird clunky situations when you need those charges for a puzzle and need to find something to whack. Overall though the game just has a really good vibe, the OST is absolutely phenomenal and I dig the lore behind the world. Cool ass little game.

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017
I just started the second dungeon (i think) and I have about 4 or 5. I made it a point to quickly run through the cemetary and the area outside the Witch's house again before going to the next area. Also the Stranded Sailor gives you hints about the location of some of them.

Yeah, I never back-tracked to old areas much. Just found a couple by roaming around old areas but it bums me out running past things I know I don't have the ability for yet because I know I'll forget where it was and have to do this all over again.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
I will say I finished it with 100% completion and came away a bit higher on the game than what that post let on, namely by a couple great bosses at the end and some pretty interesting post-game stuff. But all those issues still stand (among some other ones I didn't go into, backtracking is an absolute pain in some areas) and ultimately I just found it on the whole pretty unfulfilling compared to its contemporaries and inspirations.

I'm really hoping whenever TUNIC comes out it doesn't suffer the same issues.
Good to know, hopefully my opinion goes up once I get to some of this late game content. And agreed on Tunic. I will say that I enjoyed the like 30 minute demo I played of Tunic last year more than the entirety of what I've played of Death's Door so far, so my hopes are high for that game.

m23

Oct 25, 2017

I struggled a lot on the boss so I made sure to use my souls on upgrades and also switched to using the greatsword.

Oct 26, 2017

There is a trick to this fight. When she stomps the ground, look for the white ripple that she makes on the floor. When you see that ripple, dodge. No matter which direction you dodge, timing it with that ripple gives you a short invincibility window

Oct 26, 2017
Uhh...how do I get more arrows? I've gotten myself into a situation where I can't solve a puzzle because I can't fire any arrows.

And all of the enemies are dead. I event went back to the Reaper Headquarters and that didn't recharge them.

Nm, hit some mushrooms!

From your first letter to your last, you sure put us on a ride lol

It took me a second as well. Kept wondering why everything was reappearing

Larrikin

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that's pretty much my only real complaint about the game.. the buff's almost seem negligible. You have to get 4-5 to see any difference, and it's pretty slight even then or at least it feels that way. I feel like they were aiming for a game with flat damage from beginning to end and then decided to do this instead.

That said, I just wrapped up the game last night and enjoyed the hell out of it.
I've had the opposite experience, but I've gone entirely Magic/Ranged and Dexterity.

I can now kill most regular enemies in 1-2 shots (including the blue mages), and those take less than a second to pull off total. But all through the game I've noticed the improvements in the magic damage.

Being able to charge and shoot arrows so quickly is absolute god-tier. I haven't buffed strength at all because I use the rogue daggers and so I only use them for recharging my shots. I saw a lot of sentiment about the combat being very "hit and run" and I think that's possibly only true for melee. Ranged combat is so damn fun and varied. It's all about positioning and enemy prioritization. Then you either attack scenery to refill or quickly duck in for a few weak slashes to fully charge. And due to Dexterity those slashes comes out SO fast. It's so fluid and dynamic.

I'm near the 3rd boss I think but i've had an absolute blast backtracking through all the areas with each new upgrade (and that is typically something I only do if I really love a game. I think God of War and Hollow Knight are the only games I've ever done this in?)

I'm very excited to finish it and do some post-game stuff.

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
just "finished" it. Accidentally got BEHIND the last door somehow before the final boss and glitched the game out to where I fell into a void, and then couldn't even press start Lol. But when I rebooted I saw my stats: 82% and 9:49 time played, so pretty much exactly 10 hours when you count the boss fight. I'm pretty sure my actual time is higher for as many times as I redid some fights but maybe the timer keeps ticking for those, I am unsure.

Off the top of my head I got some thoughts about what could have improved the game for me

- some kind of map, seriously this game would benefit so much from a hollow knight style explore-first-then-get-knowledge type map, or just fog of war even. It's kind of a hassle without it because
- the game really could have used more differentiation within the zone areas, the environments were great and pretty and there was a lot of different ones, but within many especially the jungle, cemetery, and gardens, it was really hard to find your way around outside of what corner of your TV you were walking in, which wouldn't have been a huge problem is the game had:
- an out of combat sprint, even if it was only available late game like castlevania handles it
- a parry system could have spiced up the combat a bit plus I love me a good parry
- I would have also REALLY liked to see more meaningful upgrades with your soul points OR
- some progression within individual weapons instead. Probably the biggest downer about the game was how shallow the character progression felt vs how it could be
- last complaint is I dont really like the 'Hold R Then Press B' to use your abilities. Why not just B? Also I can't count how many times I went to use the fucking hookshot but instead rolled off an edge because I pressed the wrong button lmao.
- Also wasn't entirely sold on the different weapons giving you different dodge distances, speed alone would have been nice, but otherwise holy fuck were daggers unusable on any kind of small platform because your dodge takes you across the screen and right into water

Despite all this stuff - fantastic game, polished so hard it makes me wonder why they had character upgrades feel so useless. Other pros for me
+ gorgeous
+ incredible soundtrack
+ excellent enemy variety, way beyond most games I've played in this genre
+ fun boss fights without trying to be TOO hard that it's frustrating
+ nice combat challenges like the avarice's
+ combat itself felt solid
+/- the weapon variety was fun but come on, no scythe?? easy fuckin win there guys, come on

now that I finished, I read about some of the postgame stuff and wow. there's a lot more than i expected and I give them mad props for that. but man, without a map and/or sprint I just don't have the energy to revisit these places. :( makes me sad. Maybe they can patch something in

overall, really loved it, such an easy 9/10 despite whatever "improvements" i might wish for or things I'd have done differently. Doesn't matter. Game was executed near flawlessly for what it set out to do. Can't believe how few people worked on it too, they should be very proud. Easy to recommend to just about anyone who likes zelda-ish action puzzle type game. we're really in an indie renaissance these last few years.