• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

lcap

Oct 27, 2017
DEATHLOOP is a uniquely Arkane take on the first-person shooter genre, and it is being developed for a new generation of hardware. DEATHLOOP will launch on console exclusively for PlayStation 5 this holiday season and will run at 4K/60FPS at launch. DEATHLOOP will also be launching on PC at the same time.

Leveraging the PS5's cutting-edge graphics and technology like haptic feedback and adaptive triggers, DEATHLOOP invites you into a beautiful and immersive world – the truest signature of an Arkane game. With stunning and stylish environments, memorable combat encounters, and the freedom to tackle each mission at your own pace, this is Arkane like you've never seen (or felt) it before, taken to the next level thanks to the PlayStation 5.

Ready for the kicker? Julianna is also a playable character. While you will experience the main campaign as Colt, you also have the option to infiltrate another player's game as Julianna and do some hunting. But keep in mind, that means someone else could be lurking in your campaign, waiting for the chance to strike. This is Arkane's approach to an immersive multiplayer experience, where the focus is still on the main story, but there is unpredictability around every corner. "We felt this style of multiplayer, where we give people the option to play as the main antagonist, is a great way to really ramp up the level of trickery, tension, chaos and just plain unpredictability that we love in games like this," explains Bakaba. "We feel that our game systems uniquely position us to allow for the confrontation between two players to be one not just of skill, but of wits, creativity and an open display of your personality."

If this PvP element is disabled, Julianna will still appear your game from time to time, hunting you, but she will be AI-controlled. The developers at Arkane Lyon built this system with a hybrid approach in mind. "The focus is on the campaign and the story," Bakaba says. "And that campaign can be played with Julianna controlled only by the AI, or – and this is our recommendation – by a mix of A.I. and random players to experience the range of unpredictability and chaos that Julianna is capable of."

more at the link

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Is that native then?

Still hard to know if we're in the PS4 Pro PR buzzword phase. Native as a word ain't there.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe it'll find a bigger audience without technical quibbles.

I also wonder if they've considered crossplay

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
That's great. To be fair, it did look graphically simpler compared to other games shown.
The Saul Bass-ish aesthetic is gorgeous though.

Hoping this isn't a case of loving all the promo material and then hating how the game feels to play, which is my situation with the last three Arkane games >.<

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
Don't plan to buy a new console this year, so I'm kinda bummed this is next-gen only

I'll buy this the minute a get a PS5 tho

EekumBokum

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand. I thought this was a multi-player game? So it's a SP game with a Souls-like invasion mechanic?

Heraldic

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
That's great news. But, why in 2020 can we still not get keyboard and mouse support for consoles? It's hard after using kbm on PC to go back to controller only option for a fps. Come on Sony and Microsoft!

Era Uma Vez

Feb 5, 2020
Is it finally time for Arkane to make a game that feels good to play with a controller?
I and I say this as a big fan of Dishonored franchise.

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
The Saul Bass-ish aesthetic is gorgeous though.

Hoping this isn't a case of loving all the promo material and then hating how the game feels to play, which is my situation with the last three Arkane games >.<
Yeah, of course. I wasn't judging the art direction and being an Arcane title almost guaranties good gameplay mechanics.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
Definitely one of my favourite showings in the event!

Kinda surprised though that it is a (timed?) console exclusive for PS5..

Voyevoda

Nov 1, 2017
Paris, France
Damn. I could seriously Day One the PS5 for Deathloop alone.

All of this sounds great, and 4K/60fps (even though I only have a 1080p display atm) is the cherry on top. I need more Arkane Lyon in my life. Gimme !

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Yo- real talk the Julianna thing should be the real topic. I love the idea that you can have it so your not sure if it's an AI invading your game or a player.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
As Colt, you have one day to eliminate eight targets who are responsible for keeping the loop functioning. If you miss even one, the loop will reset. But they're scattered all over the island. How are you supposed to track them all down in just one cycle? In order to take out all of them before the day starts over, you'll need to learn to manipulate the world around you, discovering your targets' routines and schedules as you fight to solve the puzzle of the island. And the best part: You're free to determine how to go about this. You can take every mission – main missions and side missions – at your own pace and in any order you choose as you assemble those puzzle pieces. Each day is an opportunity to learn and piece together the mystery. You'll get stronger, you'll try new things, you'll discover new paths, and eventually, you'll break this f***ing loop.

This sounds like big budget roguelike.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely one of my favourite showings in the event!

Kinda surprised though that it is a (timed?) console exclusive for PS5..
I guess it kinda makes sense since their published titles have been underperforming sales-wise for a while. Kinda worried it could backfire and dilute the excitement for any future games, like Rise of the Tomb Raider's exclusivity did imo.

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
People really need to play Prey Mooncrash. It has the same gameplay arc - learning the level(s) so intimately that eventually you are able to accomplish every objective on one single, final run.

Heraldic

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I thought Microsoft implemented keyboard and mouse support?
Have they stated this in regards to their XSX, and is it for all fps games? Personally, it would be a great move for Sony to announce kbm support for games like Deathloop on PS5. It would sway alot of PC gamers like myself who are leaning more toward a PS5 console than an XSX. I get hyped to hear about this amazing looking game with 4k/60fps, but then I remember "Oh yeah I have to use a controller, that's uncomfortable for me in an fps."

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Yo- real talk the Julianna thing should be the real topic. I love the idea that you can have it so your not sure if it's an AI invading your game or a player.

Yeah, when it became clear the game would be centred around what Arkane had in mind for The Crossing, my immediate thought was "Ugh", as campaign co-op is just about the only form of multiplayer that appeals to me these days, but the AI + human option might make for an interesting experience.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Have they stated this in regards to their XSX, and is it for all fps games? Personally, it would be a great move for Sony to announce kbm support for games like Deathloop on PS5. It would sway alot of PC gamers like myself who are leaning more toward a PS5 console than an XSX. I get hyped to hear about this amazing looking game with 4k/60fps, but then I remember "Oh yeah I have to use a controller, that's uncomfortable for me in an fps."

Both consoles (as both do this gen) support K&M, but very few games choose to switch it on

Deleted member 66837

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 24, 2020
From the link: "According to Bakaba, "While both characters will have access to some of the same main tools, there are also some major differences between their abilities. While Colt can make use of hacking devices and the possibility of returning when he dies, Julianna can take on the appearance of any NPC, and all of the island's inhabitants are on her side."

cb1115

Oct 25, 2017
nice, i'll probably give this a shot since it looks to be a launch game

still need to play Prey

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Woah I though this was coming to current gen as well since it was announced last year.

If it was designed with next gen "specs" in mind, that's a bit more exciting.

Heraldic

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Both consoles (as both do this gen) support K&M, but very few games choose to switch it on
Interesting. Didn't know that. So, if kbm isn't implemented then Arkane would be the culprit. Well, its still early, we'll see what happens. Either way I'm still looking forward to trying out that intriguing Dualsense controller.

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
That's great news. But, why in 2020 can we still not get keyboard and mouse support for consoles? It's hard after using kbm on PC to go back to controller only option for a fps. Come on Sony and Microsoft!
Kbm has been supported on ps4 since launch.

It's up to the developers to enable it.

Warframe, planetside 2 & blacklight retribution are all playable with kbm

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I guess it kinda makes sense since their published titles have been underperforming sales-wise for a while. Kinda worried it could backfire and dilute the excitement for any future games, like Rise of the Tomb Raider's exclusivity did imo.
Different situation IMO because of the sales, popularity difference between XBO and PS4 at that time.

Ideally it shouldnt be timed exclusive. Even with Rise, when it finally came to PS4 it did ok sales wise.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I was worried this was gonna be basic in terms of story, and more MP focused, but this sounds good

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017

Yeh it is unfortunate, but I think dishonoured 2 didn't perform too hot.

It was a great game, but for some reason I could not be bothered to finish it/ got distracted by other stuff