• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Yaqza

Oct 27, 2017
Well Wasteland 3 got released 2 years after the inXile acquisition and we know for a fact that the development was positively impacted due to the extra funding it allowed.
For some reason I thought that in case of Wasteland 3 the gap between acquisition and launch was much smaller. Thanks for correcting me. Yet I still don't see any reason to congratulate MS for Deathloop and no, I don't feel "offended". I just find it ridiculous to praise a company that had nothing to do with greenlighting and developing the game. I wouldn't be surprised if Sony invested more into moneyhatting this as a PS5 exclusive, than MS into paying for game's development.

lost7

Feb 20, 2018
Happy for Arkane, but luckily now I don't have to worry about their wellbeing. Being on GamePass is honestly the best case scenario for them, seeing as their games were never particularly successful. Let's hope Redfall changes that, though!

Big week for PS5 btw, stock was getting much better last week. Do we have an estimate of how much Miles Morales has done in the UK lifetime?

myth

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jul 15, 2021
God I hope Bethesda and Microsoft are happy with the results, I always have the feeling the higherups in those companies will someday do an EA and transform Arkane into some support studio, because of the low sales of their games.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
God I hope Bethesda and Microsoft are happy with the results, I always have the feeling the higherups in those companies will someday do an EA and transform Arkane into some support studio, because of the low sales of their games.
Ultimately all their future games will come out on gamepass, so sales wont madder anymore.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Happy to see Death Loop have a decent launch.
Don't forget that Deathloop released on a single console with an install base that is 1/8 of the install base that Prey released to.
Agree.

When it finally goes to Xbox, it wont even matter. So many already said they'll wait to play it on Game Pass.

Ultimately all their future games will come out on gamepass, so sales wont madder anymore.
Bingo. Thats why I wanna see the game do well on PS5.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
heh, Microsoft should release their games on PlayStation first all the time for the boxed sales it seems. Maximize those profits.
Indeed that's smart. That can even work if the game is releasing the same time on Xbox Gamepass like MLB. Which is why I am expecting eventually many others Microsoft games will also release on PS5. It's a win / win for everybody. PS players can still play the game (albeit at 60ā‚¬) while it's "free" for Xbox players.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Indeed that's smart. That can even work if the game is releasing the same time on Xbox Gamepass like MLB. Which is why I am expecting eventually many others Microsoft games will also release on PS5. It's a win / win for everybody. PS players can still play the game (albeit at 60ā‚¬) while it's "free" for Xbox players.
Agree with this sentiment, I think with time releasing on PS5 and just marketing that you can play it for $10/m on Xbox is a lot more effective then just cutting it out all together while generating more revenue.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I was just joking. I'd be nice if MS did that since exclusives blow chunks; but having exclusive games on their platform is more important then sales for ps5. 7.6 billion is a lot of money to spend just to get exclusive publishing rights.

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
Happy that Arkane have hit number one, even if the sales numbers themselves aren't huge. That was always going to be the case on a console exclusive for a console that not even the whole development team have...

I'm sure the game has done well digitally too.

Liliana

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
NYC
Agree with this sentiment, I think with time releasing on PS5 and just marketing that you can play it for $10/m on Xbox is a lot more effective then just cutting it out all together while generating more revenue.

The added revenue Game Pass will be getting yearly for having, for example, Starfield exclusive, will surpass revenue for individual PS5 game sales for that game. That's the entire point of their investment and why the whole "they have to make games multiplat to get back some of that 7.5b" rhetoric from armchair analysts died down pretty quick.

This is a snowball effect that will only increase the efficacy of Game Pass each year. This is why people say sales won't matter for the success of Microsoft as opposed to the competition; of course added sales are always beneficial, but developers under them don't have to live or die by that metric anymore so long as they continue to feed Game Pass, and Microsoft is focused on subscription revenue just like Disney is because that's where the massive profits will be.

Back on topic, I'm ecstatic that Arkane is getting the recognition they deserve. It's a shame Prey and Dishonered never really did and the future is incredibly bright for them under their new circumstances. Looking forward to Redfall and whatever both Arkane studios pump out!

Liquid

Banned
Sep 13, 2021
Ideally, if you want to sell your games to more people, yeah, they should do that. But you can't grow a service like GamePass without having exclusives.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Also think its important to note, PS+ users got 10% off for preordering. I know that's why I bought it digitally. Deathloop probably did really good. Congrats to Arkane.

Liquid

Banned
Sep 13, 2021
I think you'll see a hybrid model. Starfield will be exclusive. But if there's a Deathloop 2, I could see it coming to PS5.
Having a hybrid model would affect console sales since people would never know what's exclusive, what's timed, what's not, etc. Long term I can see gamepass in other consoles when MS has enough 1st party to sustain it.

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
I think you'll see a hybrid model. Starfield will be exclusive. But if there's a Deathloop 2, I could see it coming to PS5.
You just have to ask yourself. If Sony owned Bethesda would Deathloop 2 be coming to xbox? Absolutely not, so it's the same now that MS owns Bethesda. All future Bethesda titles will be Xbox and PC exclusives.

Megabreath

Oct 25, 2018
Looks like the game will do decent if you factor in online sales. I wonder whats next for Deathloop? The sequel probably won't be on PS, but its also not a game thats going to push Gamepass subscriptions.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - Youā€™re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
Microsoft has literally no financial incentive to put future games on PS5. Deathloop would have been Xbox exclusive like Redfall is if Sony didn't have a deal in place.

g-m1n1

Oct 27, 2017
Luxembourg
People still need to play it.

When your trailers have few views and the sales aren't good, it means the gamers aren't interested.
Being on XGP doesn't mean millions of people will magically want to play it when there are hundreds of other games.

Microsoft surely analyses which games work best. Launching the game and playing it less than 5h, isn't probably seen as a successful game on XGP.

Arkane is a great studio, I hope they get the funds to continue to produce games like Dishonored, Prey and Deathloop (haven't played that one, but Prey was for me in the Top5 of the best games of last gen). Gamers need to play it!

ā€¦.

Guys, there will be 0 Bethesda games on PS5 after Ghostwire Tokyo. Accept it and move on.
(Well we could see some "newly updated" VR games on PS5VRā€¦ Skyrim, Doom, etc. But that's it).
Also there won't be a Deathloop 2.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Was this writer the same one who had like an almost aggressive reaction to WarioWare being #1 last week over Tales? Wonder what he thinks that WarioWare is still in the top 10 and Tales is not.
Chris Dring wasn't aggressive? as far as I know, he prefers games like WarioWare over Tales.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Platform Warring; History of Platform Warring
Congrats for Sony for dominating the charts and buying exclusive rights for Deathloop.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Congrats to all parties involved, & hopefully this serves as proof for the rest of the industry that a game with Black main characters & a Black director can succeed. I get that we also have Miles Morales, but that mainly applies to the former (as does Forspoken, which I also hope succeeds next year).

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Chris Dring wasn't aggressive? as far as I know, he prefers games like WarioWare over Tales.

Hmm, maybe it was someone else. But it seems like I remember one of the writers from last week making what seemed to be a kind of aggressive (and a lot of people thought it seemed kind of salty) sounding tweet about how WarioWare wasn't the true #1 or something like that. Maybe it was just someone else on Twitter, though, some other analyst. I'd have to go back and look

Raigor

May 14, 2020
I wonder if we ever will again in a gamepass world. Kinda makes charts redundant

Forza Horizon 4 was released day one on gamepass and charted in the UK physical chart with better sales than FH3 (not on GP at launch)

I expect Forza Horizon 5 to chart as well, #1 place and i wouldn't be surprised if the sales are even higher than FH4.

Starfield is absolutely going to chart.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, maybe it was someone else. But it seems like I remember one of the writers from last week making what seemed to be a kind of aggressive (and a lot of people thought it seemed kind of salty) sounding tweet about how WarioWare wasn't the true #1 or something like that. Maybe it was just someone else on Twitter, though, some other analyst. I'd have to go back and look
I remember people talking about these tweets, but they aren't really negative. if you look at his twitter, he talks about Nintendo a lot. so it might have been someone else

Spiegel

Oct 26, 2017

No, it's him.
The person with a photo of Luigi and himself as his twitter banner and with many tweets about how he likes many Nintendo things.

The tweet wasn't agressive nor salty.

Speaks about the fact that retail sales are a small pie nowadays and Nintendo not sharing eShop sales. That's all.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
No, it's him.
The person with a photo of Luigi and himself as his twitter banner and with many tweets about how he likes many Nintendo things.

The tweet wasn't agressive nor salty.

Speaks about the fact that retail sales are a small pie nowadays and Nintendo not sharing eShop sales. That's all.

Hmm, maybe I'm confusing/conflating something or thinking of something else entirely. I don't feel like that was it, but it probably was and I'm misremembering something or didn't get the context in that thread . Thanks for that, though, I was wrong. Could have done without the lame gotcha stuff, but I see why you tried to go that way I guess