• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
Heh, ok dude.

Sonys partnerships have been stellar, all i was pointing out they don't miss. I'll keep saying it.
They absolutely do miss with some of their collaborations but I would also say that's a positive. If their partnerships always worked out I would posit they aren't taking enough risk and playing it safe with the exclusives they are securing.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Didn't say you couldn't. But developer support ended in less than a year despite it being in a subscription service. My only point was that being in a subscription doesn't stop games from failing and losing support from their publisher which the user I responded to seemed to be implying.

Not every game is going to succeed, be it a full price, or tied to a subscription or F2P.

We just saw how Destruction All-Stars bombed and disappeared entirely and this game went from $70 to being sold for $20 and was free via PS+.

NT dropping support from Bleeding Edge is exactly what a lot of people wanted because they clearly care more about Hellblade 2 than this experimental game NT was working on.

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
Prey and Dishonored 2 bombed despite being critically acclaimed games.

Deathloop really needed the promotional push since it seemed people were just walking straight past Arkane's previous games despite all the buzz.
Bethesda and Sony can absolutely pat themselves on the back for promotion. Nobody can say with a straight face that they didn't get it out there enough and there's no such thing as too much promotion.

bic

Oct 28, 2017
Reading all the review blurbs I was 100% on board for this. After watching IGNs review though, I'm having second thoughts. Deathloop just sounds so dense with ideas and mechanics...I'm afraid I'm too stupid to play it lol

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
Reading all the review blurbs I was 100% on board for this. After watching IGNs review though, I'm having second thoughts. Deathloop just sounds so dense with ideas and mechanics...I'm afraid I'm too stupid to play it lol

It holds your hand so dont worry about it

OP
OP
FarSight XR-20
Jan 4, 2018
Nice. It's so good to see Deathloop doing great... I wonder if their next project is already in the early prototype stage?

Obviously too early at this moment but I wonder what they will do next besides the Xbox version of the game. Dishonored 3 ? Deathloop sequel ? Another new IP ?

Though they may also help Austin finishing Redfall as they tend to work together.

Dishonored 2 and Death of the Outsider didn't do great commercially but I think that Game Pass increases the chances of seeing Dishonored returning one day if the devs want that.

Manta_Breh

May 16, 2018
Just played the first two levels

- Graphics are real good and clean. Dont let the youtube trailers bring you down, it's one of those games you need to see on your ps5 to really appreciate it.

- Artstyle is incredible, as per usual Arkane, though character models once again could use some work but Colt and Julaiana look great (dont @ at me i'm sick of it)

- Performance mode is set to default on the game settings, so I'm assuming Arkane knew the other modes aren't upto scratch ... I'm the 30 fps rtx, full visual smorgasboard type player, but performance mode looks great as it is and I honestly dont think I'll change the mode - I played Ratchet and Clank on 30 fps and still had an amazing time, but I think I want 60fps on this game.

- Colt and Jualiana are really fun so far, love their interaction and story is interesting, but its a slow drip atm, but obviously it will get better the more I play, not an issue, but a good start.

- Level design once again is excellent, lot of ways to get into places, even just from the initial levels, with lots of little puzzles littered around ... It's honestly a bit intimidating.

My biggest gripe so far is the autosave .... I hate the fact that there's no quick save function. I understand it's a roguelite, but at the same time it's an immersive sim, so why would you limit player choice by keeping it as an autosave only. The fact that I cant auto-save and save scum to my hearts content makes it want me to experiment less and honestly kinda ruins the fun for me personally. I know people are ok with this, but I really wish this was a player option - Just let me save scum goddamit.

- But you do get 2 lives for this game for each level, so the game isnt too brutal when it comes to your mistakes and dying but I'd rather have a on the fly save system than what they added to the game.

Overall, I'm having a great time so far and cant wait to play more. I love everything except the lack of save feature, so that should at least tell you this is a super high quality game worth playing.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
To anyone who has played the game - how many notes/diaries are there to read? I feel like one of the biggest weaknesses of the Dishonored series was its over reliance on diaries and notes to convey world building and backstory (it's not necessary to read most or even any of them but I always felt compelled to anyway for completion's sake and found it super obnoxious by just how many there were scattered about. It didn't help that most of them were dull af 😶).

Charismagik

Oct 27, 2017
So....console input lag? I think acg mentioned on the ps5 version it in his review, but not much else has been said about it

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
The power of good scores:

bbd8ae0c-f73c-4afc-ay5khg.jpeg

Hewlett

Oct 27, 2017
To anyone who has played the game - how many notes/diaries are there to read? I feel like one of the biggest weaknesses of the Dishonored series was its over reliance on diaries and notes to convey world building and backstory (it's not necessary to read most or even any of them but I always felt compelled to anyway for completion's sake and found it super obnoxious by just how many there were scattered about. It didn't help that most of them were dull af 😶).

This is totally second hand because I haven't played it yet myself, but I've read that it's lighter on the ancilliary lore notes than Dishonored. Apparently most notes you find are more directly related ro puzzles and clues.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
Nevertheless, can we still count this as the second AAA rogue like? I mean, the idea will significantly change with iteration, and this certainly has some of the elements.

I hope it counts - because Returnal just made me fall in love with rogue likes, and I'm looking for as many as possible in the AAA space.

Nah it's really not a roguelike, at least not what I've played so far. It's closer to Dishonored but a bit more freeform. It's an immersive sim through and through.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Thought of going as stealthy as possible but direct combat and weapons are actually looking pretty good.

bic

Oct 28, 2017
My biggest gripe so far is the autosave .... I hate the fact that there's no quick save function. I understand it's a roguelite, but at the same time it's an immersive sim, so why would you limit player choice by keeping it as an autosave only. The fact that I cant auto-save and save scum to my hearts content makes it want me to experiment less and honestly kinda ruins the fun for me personally. I know people are ok with this, but I really wish this was a player option - Just let me save scum goddamit.

I'm glad to hear the game's accessible but oof, this one hurts as I'm an unrepentant save scumming fiend.

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't call it "hate". Just people not understanding how an immersive sim works and then calling it "boring".
And people annoyed by too many trailers, which is understandable. This game has been present on every major showing since it was announced. Sometimes it gets a bit too much, even when the game looks awesome.

Nah, there was a lot of hate. The complaining about trailers was immensely stupid, too. But alas, gamers are generally known for their whiny behaviour about things that make no sense at all, so it isn't that surprising.

jerf

Nov 1, 2017
This is reviewing really well for a top down strategy fantasy rpg…that is what this game is right? I can't tell /s

looking forward to diving in this weekend. Some Best Buy orders were shipping early but not for me :(

CTRON

Jul 16, 2020
Great reviews. Particularly looking forward to the pvp aspect.

It's funny reading people expecting this game to score <80 or even lower.

Did they forget Dishonored 2 scored 86-88 back in 2016?
This is like saying Rockstar or EAD track record have nothing to do with their upcoming games and people shouldn't expect 90+ game from them.

Did you forget Prey or Youngblood's scores? The studio's track record isn't consistent in the way that Rockstar's is, so it's not utterly shocking for some people to have such expectations.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Did you forget Prey or Youngblood's scores? The studio's track record isn't consistent in the way that Rockstar's is, so it's not utterly shocking for some people to have such expectations.

Prey was developed by ARKANE AUSTIN.

Deathloop is developed by ARKANE LYON, and they made Dishonored 2 as well and were leading on the original Dishonored w/ARKANE AUSTIN helping.

Youngblood was mainly developed by MachineGames while Arkane Lyon worked on the level design (and to the surprise of no one, it was the best part of Youngblood)

Wolfenstein: Youngblood is a fully co-op experience both for the players and its developers - a cross-studio collaboration akin to how id Software and Avalanche teamed up for Rage 2. MachineGames is on gunfeel, story, and systems, while Dishonored: Death of the Outsider developer Arkane Studios Lyon is focused mainly on level design.

-- It's 2021 and people still don't know that Arkane has two studios and they only assisted in Youngblood when MachineGames was the lead dev.

firstseeker

Dec 4, 2019
After reading about the terrible AI, I'm going to pass on it. Maybe when there is steam sale for under $20 or even better its on Gamepass, I'll give it a try.

Terrible AI really brought down Cyberpunk 2077 for me, but that game had other things going for it that pushed me to the finish line.

Last edited:

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
I pity those who have no patience. Two months from now it'll be cheaper and with a few extra patches.
I get that, but I also like to support devs I love on Day 1. To each their own, no pity necessary
I got Pray for almost nothing. I owe Arkane a full price purchase. Moreover, I want to be in there day one. I am willing to pay for that privilege.
Ha, the exact same thing happened to me. Got Prey for $10 and felt like I robbed somebody by the time I finished it

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I only discovered Prey, I wrote it off initially but with the 60fps boost on XSX I went back to it and I've been completely blown away by it. Event horizon immersive sim on a space station, I had no idea this is what I was in for. Assumed it was a normal shooter, but my god, how surprised I was to discover it's a survival RPG with plenty of suspense. Amazing game so far, fully captivated by it, cannot wait to start Dishonored 2 for the first time.

Huge fan of Arkane now, absolutely delighted by the Deathloop scores, perhaps their best work yet, the wait for it should be softened by the fact I still got Prey and D2 to finish I guess.