• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
I have played 30 minutes so far and am finding absolutely nothing enjoyable. I'm going to give this some more time, but this is rough

Her audio only comes in via the controller speaker.

It is very dumb.

THANK YOU. I thought i was losing my mind seeing all the subtitles and Colt having a conversation with silence

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
Idunno about this game... I'm like 2 hours in and I'm just confused? Disoriented? I'm getting a massive amount of "quests" but there's so much aimlessness going on. I have no idea where I'm actually at at any given time, I don't know when a "reset" happens because when I died it seemed to be night time now? There's no real clear indication of time of day to follow the quests properly. I'm also desperate to have it mark my current location on my maps, it'd solve so many of my issues right now.

I'm honestly just confused and annoyed. I hope something starts to click soon.

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
Still don't know how I feel about this game.

It feels waaaay more restrictive than dishonored or Prey because of all the loadout crap. Like if I can only use a handful of powers and weapons for each mission or objective, sure it's fun to work within limitations, but a lot of the appeal of Dishonored (and to a far lesser extent Prey) was just how madly you could break the game by stringing together 7 or so powers in quick succession. It doesn't feel like anything of the sort is here or even really possible here. And while exploration is fun, a lot of the time, by design, you just end up with dead ends or panels you can't unlock, where it feels like Prey would let you gloo gun all around the edges of the environment to get in. I haven't come across anything remotely as good level design wise as the clockwork mansion for example. There is a bit of visual homogeneity I think that plagues Deathloop a tad whereas their prior games I think had much more distinctive environmental art, and levels as a whole.

The aesthetics are killer, the soundtrack is great, the game feels great to play. The risk reward dynamics are wonderful. I just think maybe the execution is bungled a bit, especially with how excessively the game hands out hints and journal entries, basically spelling out a lot of the solutions. The most you can do I guess is disable objective icons but idk. Like this sort of just feels like Dishonored Lite with worse level design and with tacked on time loop mechanics. The environments are also not really varied enough from time period to time period to justify there being only four of them so far, idk.

I think overall maybe the game feels a bit overhyped by reviews. It's a solid game by Arkane and I'm overall enjoying my time with it, and the systems in concept are probably the most interesting they've done (though I think Mooncrash is maybe a bit better in execution --- tbh this just feels like a dumbed-down mooncrash), but its far from their best in terms of raw overlapping systems in moment to moment gameplay, or core level layout.

Edit: Colt and Julianna are fucking great though. Probably my favorite characters in an immersive sim.

Last edited:

Androidsleeps

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah if you're playing with headphones immediately disable controller audio from the options, Dishonored 2 had something similar for the heart.

The weapons animations are so damn good.

spyder_ur

Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm going to turn off the PvP aspect and just go with AI. It's not particularly fun. Waiting around and/or creeping and then just shotgunned out of nowhere with no ability to fight back. I don't think I've seen my attacker yet though one time a turret did get her. The thing is, this is probably the most tolerable it'll ever be since all the serious PvP players will develop tactics and grief.

Is there any way to have any idea where the invading player is? For that matter, how do they see you?

Generally really digging everything else.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ugh, this speech bug or whatever it is is making me not wanna play right now. Julianna is constantly talking over Colt and it's so annoying. Is this really not happening to more people? I'm on PS5. It happens during scripted events or in gameplay.

trevofour

Oct 26, 2017
joisey
Are the visual settings not working for anyone else on PS5? I set to Ray Tracing mode and the game is still running in Performance mode (frame rate and all).

Is the framrate bad on ray tracing mode on ps5,I just left the main character apartment and it got very choppy.

Yea this happened to me too, started freezing up for a few seconds at a time. Hasn't happened since then, but my visual settings seem to be bugged.

Last edited:

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
fuck i got a handgun that creates a gas cloud on impact. shot a player controlled juli with it once they shoot back and instantly explode to death

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Well. Guess there is an ability to stay cloaked forever as long you're immobile. Answers my initial question I had. You can stay perched and just snipe. That'll be fun to use online.

justjim89

Nov 16, 2017
This game feels decidedly like a run-based shooter first and an immersive sim second. Which is kind of a bummer, because the combat feels really cumbersome and hectic when there are multiple enemies. I love the hook and the style and the characters, but I'm not sure about the gameplay. Especially with random invasions hovering around to potentially fuck up runs. Dishonored is one of my favorite games of all time, but this doesn't feel as polished or as fun.

Btw, is it possible to enter Frank's club without giving up your powers? I just spent 45 minutes looking all around it thinking surely there was an alternate path.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This game feels decidedly like a run-based shooter first and an immersive sim second. Which is kind of a bummer, because the combat feels really cumbersome and hectic when there are multiple enemies. I love the hook and the style and the characters, but I'm not sure about the gameplay. Especially with random invasions hovering around to potentially fuck up runs. Dishonored is one of my favorite games of all time, but this doesn't feel as polished or as fun.

Btw, is it possible to enter Frank's club without giving up your powers? I just spent 45 minutes looking all around it thinking surely there was an alternate path.
.Most of those doors can be hacked. Check both sides of the doorframe (above).

CabooseMSG

Jun 27, 2020
Is this game on Playstation 5 making anyone else sick to their stomach? I swear, immediately upon taking control, swinging the camera around turns my stomach. The lack of FOV is pitiful, just dial down graphic details/resolution if it cant handle good FOV and graphics. Maybe I should try it at 30 FPS.

Mini-Me

Oct 25, 2017
I've played a good 8 hours across yesterday and today and have yet to see Julianna once, despite definitely being in online mode for pretty much the whole time (on Steam). I'm kinda annoyed! My friend had three invasions in his first 4 hours and I want to see that stuff - it sounds neat and like it would add some welcome tension to things.

Rickyrozay2o9

Dec 11, 2017
Question, I did the arsenal lead for the Sepulchral Breteira sniper rifle and I died 3x and reset the loop. Is it gone for good?

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
Really enjoying the game overall, but I'm getting increasingly frustrated with 1. the PC port and 2. the multiplayer mechanic.

I have not had a single fun invasion yet. I think it's completely absurd that Juliannas spawn in on a built-in honeypot that you have to interact with whether you intend to fight or flee, meaning that it's less of a game of cat and mouse and more you getting forced into walking into a ready-made sniper alley whether you want to or not. Why is the invading player's best move hiding and camping? Not only that, but the netcode seems to be just awful—I haven't had a single fight with Julianna that hasn't looked like the other player was on a 56k modem.

I'm hoping it clicks for me eventually because it's the aspect of the game I was most looking forward to but whoof

Deleted member 18179

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just got a major soft lock. Marking spoilers for the end of the tutorial/Wenjie/Ubiquity lead:
  • I did the quest where you kill all the Wenjies and learn about Residiuum. Then I did the thing where you get the Infusion ability. Colt died, I restarted
  • However, the Ubiquiti lead was still open. It said I should go kill the Wenjies. It seemed weird to do it again, but I had fun the first time!
  • So I went back to control and killed all the Wnjies again. Then it told me to go get the Harvester again.
  • I picked up the Harvester again and it marked "The Final Wenjie", but the marker was like.... inside Colt, so I couldn't get to it.
  • So I went to the menu, but then II couldn't use circle to leave. I could navigate the menu to my heart's content, but I couldn't leave it
  • I had to "Close the Software" to get out and lost my ~30 mins or so of play.
  • Major bummer. And I don't know what to do about the Ubiquiti lead still being open!

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I've only played for 15 minutes and I'm in awe at how good it feels to play on PS5. This is an insanely positive first impression. And now that the overall structure of the game is better articulated to me via the reviews, I'm so excited to see this game unfold. Wow this game feels magical to me upfront.

Sylvestre

Banned
Mar 20, 2020
I'm guessing the player you invade is hosting and always has the host advantage and also often a terrible connection
I think you are right, as when Im getting invaded (occured once in like 6 hours), there was no lag. Each time I invade, lag is crazy. Its deff. p2p and not server based, my previous comment makes no sense ;D

on another topic, I killed everyone on the coast in order to find these damn gifts for the shotgun, when I finally found the last one the quest failed before I could unlock its door :( Im guessing its time based, which there was a timer or something.

spyder_ur

Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised I haven't heard more about it here so I might be unlucky, but here is my error/bug log for today on PS5, maybe 5-6 hours played:
  • 1 console hard crash
  • 1 game hard crash
  • 2 fail to restart from rest mode, prompting recovery
  • 2 hung up on menus or nothing clickable, forcing game restarts
These have tended to come after big quest moments/fights rather than just exploring, so a bit of a bummer Game seems to do a decent job plugging you back in with little lost except your quest progress, I guess.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
Man, matchmaking is taking forever. I assume that isn't a population problem, hope they get it sorted

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
Stepped outside once when MP activated and got killed 10 feet from the gate by a player 3 times in a row that I could never even see and stabbed me from the back. Immediately turned that shit off. This makes Dark Souls invasions look cute. Maybe I'll try it again post-game when I'm geared to stand a chance.

Otherwise, 4 visionaries down. As a huge Hitman fan I thought I'd take it slow and set up opportunities and stealth it all and I did that for the first day, but man, the combat is so EASY and I suck at FPS games that I'm just run and gunning through the stages and even visionaries. With a good weapon and some good perks feels easy to just blast your way through.

I'm assuming that this is because, like a rogue, after you beat it there's NG+ runs that get harder and have better loot? I was a little worried about Deathloop not having difficulty level options because I am terrible at FPS games and I am terrible at Rogue games, so I'm glad it's really easy so far, but I wouldn't mind more of a challenge later on.

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
Yo I know I'm going to get shit for this, but the way the maps are structured (NOT GAMEPLAY) but the loop traversal reminds me of Wolfenstein: Youngblood in all the best ways. You're scouring those same maps, learning them like the back of your hand - and events can be triggered that have impact later in the day, it's madness. I slowly kill everyone and then explore, and it's been grand. 9ish hours in, we got to break this loop!

benj

Oct 27, 2017
Stepped outside once when MP activated and got killed 10 feet from the gate by a player 3 times in a row that I could never even see and stabbed me from the back. Immediately turned that shit off. This makes Dark Souls invasions look cute. Maybe I'll try it again post-game when I'm geared to stand a chance.

Otherwise, 4 visionaries down. As a huge Hitman fan I thought I'd take it slow and set up opportunities and stealth it all and I did that for the first day, but man, the combat is so EASY and I suck at FPS games that I'm just run and gunning through the stages and even visionaries. With a good weapon and some good perks feels easy to just blast your way through.

I'm assuming that this is because, like a rogue, after you beat it there's NG+ runs that get harder and have better loot? I was a little worried about Deathloop not having difficulty level options because I am terrible at FPS games and I am terrible at Rogue games, so I'm glad it's really easy so far, but I wouldn't mind more of a challenge later on.
I haven't played that far so I might be wrong, but I think the 'challenge' is more about learning the maps/world enough to kill all 8 visionaries in one loop than it is about mechanical challenge in that way.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Is this game on Playstation 5 making anyone else sick to their stomach? I swear, immediately upon taking control, swinging the camera around turns my stomach. The lack of FOV is pitiful, just dial down graphic details/resolution if it cant handle good FOV and graphics. Maybe I should try it at 30 FPS.
If anything, wouldn't 30 FPS make you feel worse?

CabooseMSG

Jun 27, 2020
If anything, wouldn't 30 FPS make you feel worse?
Idk, its weird, more like the speed coupled with the FOV is weirding me out. I think its mainly the sprint, though. I tried 30 fps and it was alright, but sudden twitch movements still just feel waaay too fast for the FOV.

Also may be getting used to it instead, its not as bad

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Idk, its weird, more like the speed coupled with the FOV is weirding me out. I think its mainly the sprint, though. I tried 30 fps and it was alright, but sudden twitch movements still just feel waaay too fast for the FOV.

Also may be getting used to it instead, its not as bad
Ah I get you, could turning down aim sensitivity help?

Deleted member 18179

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm surprised I haven't heard more about it here so I might be unlucky, but here is my error/bug log for today on PS5, maybe 5-6 hours played:
  • 1 console hard crash
  • 1 game hard crash
  • 2 fail to restart from rest mode, prompting recovery
  • 2 hung up on menus or nothing clickable, forcing game restarts
These have tended to come after big quest moments/fights rather than just exploring, so a bit of a bummer Game seems to do a decent job plugging you back in with little lost except your quest progress, I guess.

I got that menus thing before, too. Bummer :(

Ninjician-

Oct 29, 2017
I'm so sorry to the couple guys I invaded tonight.

First cat and mouse was amaaaazing.

Second one was just me camping, so I'm sorry.

Don't go back for your gubbins until you kill the Warden. :)

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
Not sure if it will help you, but back in the Returnal heavy-patching days I found that a good way to get past this problem was to put the console offline, delete any patch downloads, do a restart of the PS5, then launch the game (still offline).

Then after doing all that quit the game, turn internet back on, and try to launch it again. Something about doing all that seemed to get the un-patchabilty problem unstuck. At least for Returnal.

Thanks. I'll give it a try when I get home.