• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I love that Bond-esque theme song, can't wait to hear it in full.

Rest of the trailer was also excellent, naturally.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
This game has oozed style since it was announced. MS have a great developer under its belt with these guys. And as long as they keep them around i'm sure they're continue to make some stellar stuff.

One thing I am curious about though. Are there more varied options of approach in this game than just attack? Arkane is kind of known for being an immersive sim developer that gives the player options. And as awesome as all this action looks, I would definitely prefer to go for a sneaky approach.

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
Is this game a single player rogue-like with Souls like multiplayer?
Or is this a competitive shooter?

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
this bit with the venn diagram 🤔

could just be a style thing, could hint towards the shared past between colt/julianna back when he was an assassin or something larger

XvTRplZ.png

zhghVD9.png

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Is this game a single player rogue-like with Souls like multiplayer?
Or is this a competitive shooter?
There is the option to let people "invade" your game and you can do the same to other people. So yeah, a single player rogue-like with Souls like multiplayer.

I may be mistaken, but I believe they have actually said this game is not a roguelike. Your runs will change, but it won't be different every time iirc, but it will change based on narrative events, presumable tied into killing the main targets. I forget now, but there was an interview awhile back where the Director or someone laid it out in a vague-ish way

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
I can be a harsh critic of trailers sometimes, but that one was awesome.
Anyone know the agency?

I'm in day 1.

I'm a big fan of Dishonored series, though I sort of drifted away and didn't finish D2.
I play near fully stealth and always feel like im missing out of the mischievous side of the tools the game gives you... so this looks perfect!

Fabs

Aug 22, 2019
Arkane was such a huge get for Microsoft. This looks incredible. I'll likely buy on PS5 and replay on GP

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
I'm bouncing off these trailers completely. The graphic style, the setting, the whole 60s/70s aesthetic, it just looks dull. On the other hand -

i'm gonna sum up the game for those that aren't familiar btw, get a lil hype train going as era is sleeping hard on this
  • set on blackreef, former military base and the site of experiments which puts the island under a timeloop, a never ending party hosted by AEON takes place who want to maintain the loop
  • once clock hits midnight everything resets
  • have to kill 8 targets (visonaries) all in one day to break the loop. as long as one visionary is alive, the loop can be reset
  • can tackle the targets in whatever order you want
  • clock will move when you move between zones, completing an in-game objective will cause the clock to move forward more
  • julianna hunts you throughout the game, can disguise herself as any NPC, can be controlled by either an AI or human player (remnants of arkane's cancelled game 'the crossing')
  • one big map split into different districts which you can explore at will, learn enemy patterns, come up with strategies etc, can't do every single thing in a single day so use your time wisely
  • no non-lethal runs, stealth plays a part but isn't the main focus like in dishonored
  • no weapon or power wheels like dishonored, have to choose a specific loadout instead

This description sounds great, something I'd play. I know they explained some of this in the reveal trailer, but it's hard to know what has gameplay merit and what's backdrop. It's weird man, the trailers are flashy in an oddly uninteresting way

Shrikey

Oct 27, 2017
the game looks incredible, but i'm still confused as to what it is exactly, from my limited knowledge one person has a number of targets to kill while they themselves are being hunted by a 2nd player trying to stop them?

Kind of a 1v1 BR with PVE/Hitman elements?

I'm super curious but need to see exactly how it actually plays out

My understanding is that it's blaxploitation scifi version of Prey: Mooncrash with some Sexy Brutale thrown in.

It does look good but I'm still not convinced of what seems to be a much bigger take on Prey Mooncrash

I never got around to Mooncrash (I heard roguelike and noped out), until this Christmas. I was hyped for Deathloop before, but playing Mooncrash means I'm pretty sure I fully understand the core gameplay loop. And if so, it'll be fricking glorious. Mooncrash isn't perfect, but it's one of the most interesting takes I've seen on the whole timeloop thing.

For those of you who missed Mooncrash. It was basically a Prey scenario (on a moonbase), where you play through a simulation of some kind of disaster on the base through the eyes of multiple characters. So you start as one, and you're supposed to escape. Once you do that, you unlock a secondary character, which you can escape with. Then as you finish certain other tasks in the game you unlock up to five characters and the goal is to manage to get to an escape route without dying in a single consecutive run. If you die, you either move on to another survivor, or if there are no more, the loop resets. But everything the previous characters do in the level carries over to the next, until everyone is dead.

So, you could do something like this:
Escape first with the dude whose class is specced for power-usage.
Escape with the engineer.
Escape with the security guard, and whatnot.

But the kicker is that as you progress through the level and find new pathways, you can also see some synergies. So for instance, there's an annoying roaming ass monster early on that I liked to take using the power-dude to make it easier for the lower-powered characters to get through. However, if you start with the engineer, you can try to stealth past that particular monster, fix a broken door to an escape pod, while on your way to another escape shuttle, and once you escape, that door is now open to the powers-dude. Essentially, each character running through the level leaves a trace which the other characters have to take into account. Their actions are persistent through a single loop.

All level-tree progress etc. carries over. So even if you die, you'll always be making progress. And each run will probably have you learning the map, shortcuts, etc.

So what I see happening with Deathloop is: you go through the level and find your first target and kill it, then you die on the way to the second. But on the way there, you found secondary path to the first target which you couldn't access at the time because you didn't have the correct power-up (say, a door blocked by a large crate). But going through the loop gained XP and could spec up (say Lift, for instance). So on your second run, you now have access to both paths and two ways to kill your first target. In addition to just finding more ways of approaching the target through the level (think Hitman). They also talked in an interview about how you could mess about with an invitation to a party for one of the targets. Either you let them get the invitation, and you end up with two targets in one place at the party, or you take them out one after the other.

Basically, through each loop, you will gradually have meta-progression through sustained power-ups in the skill tree, while learning the layout of the level and finding new paths, new ways of modifying target behavior. You'll try different approaches until you find one that lets you go through all of them at once.

To me, it was satisfying as hell in Mooncrash, but I lacked a good story. There were some individual mini-arcs for the respective characters, but nothing on the scale of Prey or Dishonored. I also found it a bit hard to switch play styles, with some characters being glass cannons and others being tankish. Having to adapt through a single run was hard for me and I ended up dying a bit too much. Having a single character that you know how to play would probably be easier. Deathloop has the potential to be a really polished version of the core Mooncrash loop.

I'm a bit weary of the whole nemesis-invading-the-game-and-killing you since that might be frustrating. But I hope they have some good matchmaking going on there.

I definitely agree that they haven't explained the concept. It would be hard without spoiling some puzzles, but it'd be good for them to release one longer video showing the progression with a single target.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Only thing that is stopping me to get this day 1 is stupid Bethesda account requirement.

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
Ok, is there a story in this game ? Are there characters that you can interact with in any other way besides killing each other? I love Arkane games since Arx Fatalis - well, I was somewhat let down by Dishonored 2 - but otherwise they have great games, but if this is without a story and interesting characters, then the game isn't for me

Sep 10, 2020
I still don't know if I'll personally enjoy the game due to a significant lack of imagination but the visual style and soundtrack in it are amazing!
What? The new take on retrofuturistic aesthetics, unique gunplay, innovative multiplayer integration, and a brand-new fully-formed Arkane world to explore concerning narrative, locales, lore, etc. ? I really don't know how someone could look at these character and weapon designs and say there's a lack of imagination. I get that the combat looks somewhat Arkane-y, but like... they're the best at what they do? And like that's not even to mention the countless things in these trailers they haven't done before.

Also, how are people still confused by the concept? It literally took one explanation, right after the reveal, for me to understand.

You play as a guy stuck on this mysterious island. You need to kill a select group of targets in one night or it restarts. You have guns and Dishonored abilities at your disposal. There is a girl hunting you to make sure that doesn't happen. She is EITHER a cpu or another player, your choice. You can also choose to play as the girl in another's player's game. As you try to play the game, I assume the narrative and framing itself becomes more clear with every restart, and it's partly determined by what you and the girl achieve each night. That's it, that's the game.

Astrates

Sep 13, 2020
What? The new take on retrofuturistic aesthetics, unique gunplay, innovative multiplayer integration, and a brand-new fully-formed Arkane world to explore concerning narrative, locales, lore, etc. ? I really don't know how someone could look at these character and weapon designs and say there's a lack of imagination. I get that the combat looks somewhat Arkane-y, but like... they're the best at what they do? And like that's not even to mention the countless things in these trailers they haven't done before.

Also, how are people still confused by the concept? It literally took one explanation, right after the reveal, for me to understand.

You play as a guy stuck on this mysterious island. You need to kill a select group of targets in one night or it restarts. You have guns and Dishonored abilities at your disposal. There is a girl hunting you to make sure that doesn't happen. She is EITHER a cpu or another player, your choice. You can also choose to play as the girl in another's player's game. As you try to play the game, I assume the narrative and framing itself becomes more clear with every restart, and it's partly determined by what you and the girl achieve each night. That's it, that's the game.

Poorly worded on my part, the lack of imagination is on my part not theirs. I tend to go into each situation with the same gameplan, which is not what the game is geared for.

Completely agree with you on the aesthetics and feel, it looks amazing in every single way.

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Can't wait to watch Stealth gamer BR on youtube tear the game to shreds, while I walk around as a pedestrian.

Gedi

Oct 29, 2017
Great trailer. Really intrigued. Probably would have been a more definite purchase if they had spoke more of multiplayer - only in the sense that I'm buying Returnal, Maquette, RE 8 & possibly Disco Elysium prior. I'd maybe buy another multiplayer title for my weekly gaming evenings with my brother (CoD, NBA and Dirt 5 are still on rotation) but with no news of this, that's likely to go to It Takes Two.

Bushido

Senior Game Designer
Verified
Feb 6, 2018
Trailer is fire once again, absolutely my most anticipated game this year. Dishonored 2 was and is an absolute masterpiece and this is giving me almost sequel vibes.

SuperOctopus

Apr 22, 2020
Loving the style of the trailer and the game but having it released between Returnal and Ratchet & Clank, not sure what I'll do.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Looks and sounds like a lot of fun. This wasn't one of those EGS exclusives on PC, right?

Sep 10, 2020
Poorly worded on my part, the lack of imagination is on my part not theirs. I tend to go into each situation with the same gameplan, which is not what the game is geared for.

Completely agree with you on the aesthetics and feel, it looks amazing in every single way.
Oh okay - my bad for coming off a little too strong. I just want an Arkane game to sell haha

BoxScar

Jul 21, 2020
Can't wait! I wonder if this will be on Gamepass PC from day 1 if the release is after the Zenimax buy out. The speed runs for this game are hopefully gonna be wild too.

GhostofWar

Apr 5, 2019
Can't wait! I wonder if this will be on Gamepass PC from day 1 if the release is after the Zenimax buy out. The speed runs for this game are hopefully gonna be wild too.

Was wondering the same thing, can't see where they couldn't gamepass pc it day one if its on steam. Guess will find out eventually.