• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
I really want to be excited for this game (because I love all Arkane's games, old or new) but compared to all previous Arkane's games this one seems to be all about gameplay (atleast the gunplay is finally looking decent in one of their games) but not so much about the story and characters, which is disappointing for me.. one of their other studios is working on a different game, right?

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly they probably shouldn't have even mentioned the "While each visionary can be killed in various ways, killing all eight of them in a single day can only be done in one way, challenge comes in figuring out the puzzle" thing. I doubt anyone would've cared otherwise, because I trust Arkane to make getting to the final run just as experimental, creative, and systemic as their other games, and the "one way" just comes from the fact that the game has a concrete ending. Otherwise I'd think it'd be kind of a mess to design that probably wouldn't as satisfying or challenging to finish. In Dishonored you take care of a handful of targets in sequential order level by level, so you already have inherently more freedom here.

Outer Wilds is a good point of comparison and I never felt restricted in completing that game.

Last edited:

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
Oh perfect. Game looks cool, I love the 007 / comic book style, but never felt like I had a firm grasp on what the game entailed, especially the PvP antagonist role.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
Whether it works or not - and I bet it will, because Arkane are the absolute nuts - at least it's something different.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
These two points would seem to be mutually exclusive.
Not really. There's three pre-determined sets of two + Julianna and one other that can be tackled in whatever order you want if you want to get them all done in a single day. There's still a set path/opportunity you're funnelled into when it comes to killing two birds with one stone so the only thing that changes is the order.

The game doesn't stop you from trying to kill them one by one but you'll obviously not come close to breaking the loop.

Last edited:

Niklel

Prophet of Regret
Aug 10, 2020
I've only played Dishonored 1 and 2 from Arkane. And I have mixed feelings towards Dishonored. They are very fun occasionally, but get somewhat boring at times. I honestly think that me trying to play the game stealthy and without killing anyone is what ruins Dishonored for me. Being super careful gets boring really quick + lethal abilities and mechanics seem way more fun than non-lethal.

So I hope that Deathloop doesn't incentivize stealth and avoiding killing much.
Honestly wasn't hyped about the game much, but recently revealed art and song got me interested. Idk why, but a game having good music hypes me up pretty often, even though music is only one (and not the biggest) element of video games. Of course music is not enough to get me to buy a game, but it certainly triggers my interest.
Too bad May is somewhat busy with RE8 and Mass Effect remasters. So I probably won't be buying the game on release.

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
Stalker sounds kind of annoying, can you permanently kill the stalker? I'll wait for reviews I guess.
I assume if you kill Julianna then she's totally dead for that loop just like everyone else. I also believe they mentioned you can turn off online so an AI takes her over and presumably also when the player drops out.

I am curious how nailing the final run with her works though. Like if you don't run into her/avoid her during the 7 previous targets does she just spawn in whatever district you're in at the end? Can she go district to district without time passing or is it an instanced thing where Juliana always spawns in the district Colt is in? Hmmmm.

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
I do wonder if they have kept silent about some of the details of how playing as Julianna works because it ties into the story too much. We know you don't unlock the ability to play as her until you hit a certain point in the campaign, maybe there's some narrative reveal they don't want to spoil. Prey had a lot of twists to it and Deathloop seems like it might as well.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
There's not really a whole lot they can do with her story wise though. She wants to keep the loop going and killing Colt every day is all she has to do.
Yeah, I get that now that we have a clearer picture of the game. There's always the possibility for DLC or a stand-alone expansion focused on her.

Niklel

Prophet of Regret
Aug 10, 2020
Did they reveal all 8 key targets that you need to kill?
Because I assume that Julianna is one of them, so I also think that she can be killed only ones in every loop.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Did they reveal all 8 key targets that you need to kill?
Because I assume that Julianna is one of them, so I also think that she can be killed only ones in every loop.

Egor Serling
Julianna Blake
Harriet Morse
Fia Zborowska
Dr. Wenjie Evans
Charlie Montague
Ramblin' Frank Spicer
Aleksis "The Wolf" Dorsey

Bushido

Senior Game Designer
Verified
Feb 6, 2018
Easily my most anticipated game this year and that stuff in the OP sounds awesome. I played all Dishonored games stealth/pacifist only, so going through this guns blazing might be a neat change of pace.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
It's really hard to advertise immersive sims and what sets them apart. No one has really successfully done it.

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
These two points would seem to be mutually exclusive.

They are not. You can go after any of the targets in any order, but if you go after the wrong one first, one of the others may find out about it and run away or go to a safe room or whatever.

I imagine part of the challenge is to find out which of the bosses to take out first to not alert other bosses (or alert in the right way to make them vulnerable later). My guess is that you'll be going through the sequence multiple times until you find the right order, because the things you do earlier will have an impact later. You likely will have to purposely leave exposed targets alive earlier in the sequence because they will be the only ones who stay exposed by the end.

ioriyagami

Oct 28, 2017
Not too worried about the "solve in one way" idea. There's only one way to beat Outer Wilds, but trying to find that solution made for one of the best games I've ever played.

This, and in fact Deathloop sounds similar to the Outer Wilds, given its cycle/loop-based gameplay. After their impecable track record Arkane deserves our trust, I am sure the game will be special

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
While each visionary can be killed in various ways, killing all eight of them in a single day can only be done in one way, challenge comes in figuring out the puzzle

Well there goes my hype down the pipes. I already had pleasure of doing this with Dishonored 2's bugfest as I had to map out out several maps with precise timings and actions sequences so game wouldn't bug out and randomly kill NPC's.

Also having only one correct answer limits creativity and freedom of play so much in game that gave impression of a lot player agency and freedom over how to complete it.

Azai

Jun 10, 2020
I wonder if there is enough content though.
I mean apparently there is only one way to kill all of them in one day/loop so replayability is already limited.
And I think alot of players will be able to kill all 8 in a day at Day1.

Defenitly going to wait and see how much content and replayability there is.

Praetorpwj

Nov 21, 2017
I'm not seeing that strong similarity to Outer Wilds. The main purpose of that loop was to figure out what happened and explore every relic; the actual solution was not the main drive.

Also the loop was only 22 minutes which was a nice play period.

I think playing a loop of between 1-2 hours presumably without a save where you could be killed any time will become frustrating if not balanced correctly.

Chibs

Nov 5, 2017
Belgium
Glad they made that video, because I honestly had no idea how this was all going to work. I'm very interested to try this now, it's incredibly unique and Arkane's track record speaks for itself. Will probably still await reviews, but I have good feeling about this one.

Vitet

Oct 31, 2017
Valencia, Spain
I'm going to be honest: I thought this was a multiplayer-only game and disconnected when anything from it appeared online or on trailers. Reading multiplayer is optional blowed my mind a bit. Definitely going to buy it sooner or later.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
This game's going to be Arkane's magnum opus, I'm sure of it. It sounds like they're putting in all of what they're great at into one game and so far there's been no piece of new information that doesn't sound fantastic.

The only thing I want to hear more about is everything outside of that one perfect run. I would love it if each target has multiple unique assassinations and challenges for added replay value. If this game manages to be one big Hitman level on top of everything else than this may be a serious GOAT contender.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Seems a bit disappointing that the games actual ending is tied to a singular process with no flexibility. One that if unattained results in rogue-like repetition...

Hoping that comment about stealth just means you have to be leathal with your stealth instead of meaning there isn't much stealth at all...

I'm starting to think this might be a "wait for a sale" type game now tbh.