• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

FoeHammer

Oct 27, 2017
No one know what this is and that's cool. It's Arkane they could make a game based on Days of Our Lives and it would still be better than 99% of the rest of the drivel at E3. Arkane games are my happy place.

J-Spot

Oct 27, 2017
I'll wait until we hear more about it potential multiplayer before getting too excited but hopefully it's still a solid SP experience. The premise might lend itself well to a Watch Dogs/Dark Souls style of invasion system which I'd be on board with.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
The art style definitely intrigues me. Too bad that based on the vagueness I'd say we won't see this game before 2021

Do you mean character designs?

Kind of look like We Happy Few art direction but last post-apocalyptic and groundhog effect gameplay which I am not on board with all that rolled up together.

Vintage

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
Do you mean character designs?

Kind of look like We Happy Few art direction but last post-apocalyptic and groundhog effect gameplay which I am not on board with all that rolled up together.
I mean this Bond style + time loop action, but for now it's just my imagination what it actually is. Character are cool I guess, but it depends if they have meaningful interactions with one another.

Jan 4, 2018
Hoping this is an evolution of the cancelled The Crossing project from years and years ago. A singleplayer campaign where you choose your protagonist and have to face off against other players who chose the other protagonist while trying to complete the story missions, with no fail states just canon respawns sounds ridiculously cool if that's the concept.

Chixdiggit

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Hoping this is an evolution of the cancelled The Crossing project from years and years ago. A singleplayer campaign where you choose your protagonist and have to face off against other players who chose the other protagonist while trying to complete the story missions, with no fail states just canon respawns sounds ridiculously cool if that's the concept.
That sounds amazing if done right.

electristan

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
Wonder if it will be like an updated version of Hunter Hunted.

hunterhuntedrxj13.jpg

If so it will need a pretty big player base, that is always my worry about interesting multiplayer games, they don't always find their audience (i miss you Brink)

Deleted member 274

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
While the SP only/MP thing is still up in the air, they were very carefully specific about this being an immersive sim and I love it so much.

Arkane has my trust

CrocodileGrin

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I never got the impression it was mp. I always thought something like an Edge of Tomorrow title would make a good video game because a loop would explain a respawn from a story direction without having to include reloads or game overs. You'd just get better and do it again, and it wouldn't seem weird. I don't know what Deathloop is, if it will have some connection of beating another player, or how they'll pull it off, but I'm really looking forward to it from what they've shown so far.

Kolibri

Nov 6, 2017
If you don't have (enough) gameplay to show, and it's not an already existing popular IP, I have very little to get hyped about. I absolute love Arkane, so I know it'll be worth checking out, but still. At this point they might as well show nothing.

wossname

Dec 12, 2017
It'd be cool if it's like Prey, where you're doing your 'immersive sim' thing in the world, completing objectives etc, but instead of the Nightmare occasionally popping up to attack you there is another player in the world, doing their own story objectives but at the same time hunting you down. Die or kill your opponent and you get matched with another player.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Love the two black protags. Arkane has some of the best representation in the AAA space.

Also I love Arkane games so much. Can't wait for this. Even if it's not an immersive sim I am open to whatever they create. They are so good at architecture and environments.

Deleted member 274

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Love the two black protags. Arkane has some of the best representation in the AAA space.

Also I love Arkane games so much. Can't wait for this. Even if it's not an immersive sim I am open to whatever they create. They are so good at architecture and environments.
They already implied it's an immersive sim though, or at least has the elements of one

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018

I'm so attuned to their environment design, even the look of, say, cloth draped over a wooden crate from the trailer screamed "Arkane" to me.

haveheart

Oct 25, 2017
yep, good on them for having diversity.

but i hate CGI trailers that really tell us nothing and dont explain how the two-character dynamic is going to work.

We got to see some of the gameplay mechanics that are shooting, traversal and superpowers. With this being an Arkane game this was to be expected though.

I just can't wrap my head around why they showed this with it obviously being in early development and Arkane Austin did not show up at all.

How long was it after the Dishonored 2 CGI trailer until we got something ingame?
edit: Apparently one year after the CGI announcement trailer at E3 2015. We probably have to wait a while until we get something more insightful...

Orbit

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
We got to see some of the gameplay mechanics that are shooting, traversal and superpowers. With this being an Arkane game this was to be expected though.

I just can't wrap my head around why they showed this with obviously being in early development and Arkane Austin did not show up at all.

How long was it after the Dishonored 2 CGI trailer until we got something ingame?

you mean like the cinematics of them doing those actions? i don't really count that. it isn't actual gameplay, more like proof of concept pitch to get a game green lighted.

haveheart

Oct 25, 2017
you mean like the cinematics of them doing those actions? i don't really count that. it isn't actual gameplay, more like proof of concept pitch to get a game green lighted.

You're right, this certainly is more of a proof of concept. Nevertheless, the first D2 CGI trailer also showed mechanics and levels that you'd see in the final product. Just was trying to make the point that there are some take aways here.

Orbit

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
You're right, this certainly is more of a proof of concept. Nevertheless, the first D2 CGI trailer also showed mechanics and levels that you'd see in the final product. Just was trying to make the point that there are some take aways here.

fair point. i hope you are right. i am just bitter from the Gears 5 presentation and people saying they showed 'gameplay' lol, when all it was were proof of concept cinematics of a new game mode - and that game is coming out in December, so who knows what is going on.

haveheart

Oct 25, 2017
fair point. i hope you are right. i am just bitter from the Gears 5 presentation and people saying they showed 'gameplay' lol, when all it was were proof of concept cinematics of a new game mode - and that game is coming out in December, so who knows what is going on.

I hope so too. I wish they'd given us more. This will probably be remembered as the E3 of CGIs. I'm actually looking forward the most to seeing some COD:MW gameplay and that says a lot. And we might not even get that...

After seeing Gears 5 gameplay, I understand why they didn't want to show this on the big stage. I hope this not the case for this one.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
Really cool to see some diversity for the protagonists, but then I saw NK Jemisin's take on it:

The responses go a little more into too. And it made me think we still have some ways to go (I'm a white guy, btw). Does this sentiment strike a chord with our Black ResetEra members?

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Really cool to see some diversity for the protagonists, but then I saw NK Jemisin's take on it:

The responses go a little more into too. And it made me think we still have some ways to go (I'm a white guy, btw). Does this sentiment strike a chord with our Black ResetEra members?

Come on, that's a stretch.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
My hope is that there's some kind of machine learning gimmick where you pick which one you play, and the AI's learning from your actions (kinda like your clones in Echo).

And then when you pick the opposite char, the one you used to play is using your own tactics against you.

I can see that working as a method that allows the concept without bringing in multi-player. Give you a few "tutorial" levels of solo play to build up a "baseline" of your behaviour for the AI to follow before making you face them.

SweetBellic

Oct 28, 2017
Day one if Deathloop has an offline and/or SP mode and isn't sent to die during some overly crowded holiday release window. After Dishonored 1/2 and Prey, Arkane deserve the benefit of the doubt.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
It's not Dishonored but being stuck in a time loop fighting another assassin is straight out of Dishonored.

Hell they even have some of the same powers! (Blink and Push/Windblast)

Oct 25, 2017
Can't get on the "if you don't show gameplay don't show it period" train. I got a lot from this cinematic. I got a cool concept, cool looking leads, stylish trailer, and a strong indication that movement is gonna be fun as hell.

Not in the slightest.

I feel like they're going out of their way to twist things that seem fun into a negative while making some major leaps that they fill with their assumptions.

Last edited:

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
Can't get on the "if you don't show gameplay" don't show it period. I got a lot from this cinematic. I got a cool concept, cool looking leads, stylish trailer, and a strong indication that movement is gonna be fun as hell.
Yep. What this trailer gives me is that Arkane is definitely trying some new concepts, but that most of my favorite things about their games are going to be fully intact in this one.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
I'm impressed nobody has confirmed if this is SP, MP or both yet.

Honestly I think the longer we wait the more like it is a MP game.

Last edited:

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017

Not black, but:

I see where he's going with this but the 'prison' thing is a stretch to me. Videogame protagonists have obstacles to overcome and situations to escape.

As for the concept of the game being about two black people killing each other: yeah, I get it, but I feel like (especially since they're both clearly supposed to be somewhat likable, despite being hardasses) there's a virtually certain narrative twist coming in which they cooperate with each other toward the end of the game as they learn more about their situation. I wouldn't call it telegraphed per se, but certainly really likely.
It'd be cool if it's like Prey, where you're doing your 'immersive sim' thing in the world, completing objectives etc, but instead of the Nightmare occasionally popping up to attack you there is another player in the world, doing their own story objectives but at the same time hunting you down. Die or kill your opponent and you get matched with another player.
Allllll of this, yeah. Especially given real immersive-sim elements (an entire level full of AI chain-reacting to the ways you've modified the world), trying to figure out where the other player is and what they're up to based purely on context clues would be fascinating -- and the incentives for playing stealthily (or creating smart diversions) would be seriously increased if alerting the AI also makes it much easier for an opposing human player to find you.

Last edited:

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
It looks great. Even if it ends up being a 1 v 1 game. Spies vs Mercs (CS and PT) is still one of the best PvP modes I have ever played.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017

The fuck? What's wrong with playing as two assassin's wanting to kill each other? The idea sounds wild but this is such a dumb take.

Oct 25, 2017
The fuck? What's wrong with playing as two assassin's wanting to kill each other? The idea sounds wild but this is such a dumb take.
Like, I don't want to knee jerk defense just because I'm a fan of this, but goddamn what a buzzkill. Like are they arguing these are stereotypes or negative portrayals? I get that people want more positive representation, but even implying this is negative representing is such a reach.

It's a cat and mouse hunt featuring attractive leads, twist is, they can kill each other. This is pure formula and a great one at that.

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
Like, I don't want to knee jerk defense just because I'm a fan of this, but goddamn what a buzzkill. Like are they arguing these are stereotypes or negative portrayals? I get that people want more positive representation, but even implying this is negative representing is such a reach.

It's a cat and mouse hunt featuring attractive leads, twist is, they can kill each other. This is pure formula and a great one at that.
Yep. The vibe I get is Dishonored x Soulsborne hostile player invasions, which sounds... great.

Dec 18, 2017
Nothing will capture the incredible one-two punch of pride I had seeing both a black director on stage, and two black main characters. We've come a long way, friendos.

Takuhi

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't expect to see so much straight dismissing of her concern, but seems it isn't a thing. Alright then, move along.

IMO, this sort of concern, while well intended, is ultimately counterproductive. If developers are afraid to use minority characters in situations in which it could, with a little bit of a stretch, be interpreted as racist, then we'll end up with less minority representation overall. Just look over the list of recent AAA releases, insert a black protagonist, and see if you can make a leap to the same "optics" argument... it's really easy.

Horizon? "Can we get a black protagonist in a AAA game who **isn't** a noble savage?
Days Gone? "Can we get a black protagonist in a AAA game who **isn't** in a gang?
Uncharted? "Can we get a black protagonist in a AAA game who **isn't** a thief?
Every other game ever? "Can we get a black protagonist in a AAA game who **isn't** in the military?

I think once you start worrying about optics to that degree, you end up with minorities restricted to bland, minor friend-of-the-protagonist roles.