• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

signal

Oct 28, 2017

In the midst of a historic heat wave in the West, the mercury in Death Valley, Calif., surged to a searing 130 degrees on Sunday afternoon, possibly setting a world record for the highest temperature ever observed during the month of August.

If the temperature is valid, it would also rank among the top-three highest temperatures ever reliably measured on the planet at any time and may, in fact, be the highest.

The temperature in Death Valley hit 130 degrees at 3:41 p.m. Pacific time on Sunday, according to the National Weather Service. If verified, the reading would break Death Valley's previous August record by three degrees, the Weather Service tweeted.
"Everything I've seen so far indicates that is a legitimate observation," Randy Cerveny, who leads the World Meteorological Organization's weather and climate extremes team, wrote in an email. "I am recommending that the World Meteorological Organization preliminarily accept the observation. In the upcoming weeks, we will, of course, be examining it in detail, along with the U.S. National Climate Extremes Committee, using one of our international evaluation teams."

Death Valley famously holds the record for the hottest temperature ever recorded on Earth, which is 134 degrees. This record was set on July 10, 1913. However, that measurement is very much in question; an extensive analysis of that record conducted in 2016 by Christopher Burt, an expert on extreme weather data, concluded it was "essentially not possible from a meteorological perspective."
Some climatologists consider 129-degree readings recorded in Death Valley on June 30, 2013, and in Kuwait and Pakistan in 2016 and 2017, respectively, as the highest ever reliably measured on the planet. If only those readings are considered, then Sunday's 130-degree temperature would unseat them as the highest measured.
As it stands, if Sunday's 130-degree reading is confirmed, it would be the world's highest temperature officially recorded since 1931, and the third-highest since 1873. The only two higher measurements include the disputed 1913 Death Valley reading and a 131-degree reading from Kebili, Tunisia, set July 7, 1931, which is considered to be Africa's hottest temperature. But the Tunisia mark also has "serious credibility issues," according to Burt.
Scientists have found that the intensity, duration and frequency of heat waves worldwide are increasing due to human-caused climate change. A 2019 study found the planet has entered a "new climate regime" with "extraordinary" heat waves that global warming is worsening.

Climate studies have also concluded that climate change is having a serious effect on wildfire activity in the West and Southwest. The Fourth National Climate Assessment, published by the Trump administration in 2018, warned that climate change had already increased the size of areas burned by wildfires by drying out forests and boosting the availability of wildfire fuel.

RedOnePunch

Oct 26, 2017
In 2018 temps here in the san fernando valley hit 115 degrees and I thought that was extremely hot. I can't imagine adding another 15 degrees.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There's stories of morons trying to trek across Death Valley without adequate preparation and literally dropping dead from heat exhaustion within half an hour. Its called Death Valley for a damn good reason.

thefit

Oct 25, 2017
There's stories of morons trying to trek across Death Valley without adequate preparation and literally dropping dead from heat exhaustion within half an hour. Its called Death Valley for a damn good reason.

Yep, terrible signal or no signal there at all, people die all the time thinking they can cross it.

ReturnOfThaMack88

Alt-Account
Banned
May 30, 2020
whats the estimate for when parts of the earth will become uninhabitable due to climate change? This shit is scary

ReturnOfThaMack88

Alt-Account
Banned
May 30, 2020
That Death Valley Germans shit is wild, never had heard about it... fuck that sounds so awful. I don't even wanna imagine how that went and how long it took and who passed out first.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That Death Valley Germans shit is wild, never had heard about it... fuck that sounds so awful. I don't even wanna imagine how that went and how long it took and who passed out first.

There were all probably unconscious within minutes. They really should've just stayed near the car and out of the sun, that would've bought them more time, but I can't really blame them since they probably had no idea just how bad it was until it was too late.

Eila

Oct 27, 2017
There were all probably unconscious within minutes. They really should've just stayed near the car and out of the sun, that would've bought them more time, but I can't really blame them since they probably had no idea just how bad it was until it was too late.
Weren't they found like 9 miles away from the car? Guess they could have done most of it while the sun hadn't risen, but still.
Anyway, I've been outside for when the temperature has been around 120°, do 10° more add all that much more? Because I could feel my eyes frying a little.

HTupolev

Oct 27, 2017
People who have never experienced high temperatures don't realize how bad it is until they're in the middle of it. And at 110+ degress you are dead in minutes unless you know what you're doing.
This is false. In dry air like at Death Valley, even 130F is more or less survivable until your body runs out of water to cool itself with. Even if you brought no water with you, this is going to take many many times longer than a few minutes.
Consider that dry saunas are usually kept at 150 degrees or higher, and people are generally totally fine after spending a few minutes in one.

For 110 degrees to pose a danger of fairly quick death, the humidity needs to be quite high, so that the body can't keep its core temperature low through perspiration. Death Valley is typically a very low-humidity environment.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is false. In dry air like at Death Valley, even 130F is more or less survivable until your body runs out of water to cool itself with. Even if you brought no water with you, this is going to take many many times longer than a few minutes.
Consider that dry saunas are usually kept at 150 degrees or higher, and people are generally totally fine after spending a few minutes one.

For 110 degrees to pose a danger of rapid death, the humidity needs to be high enough that the body can't keep its core temperature low through perspiration. Death Valley is typically a very low-humidity environment.

I'll take your word for it. Just repeating what a park ranger told me when I visited several years ago.

ReturnOfThaMack88

Alt-Account
Banned
May 30, 2020
Consider that dry saunas are usually kept at 150 degrees or higher, and people are generally totally fine after spending a few minutes in one.

For 110 degrees to pose a danger of rapid death, the humidity needs to be high enough that the body can't keep its core temperature low through perspiration. Death Valley is typically a very low-humidity environment.

God damn so you're saying that poor German family died slow and painful

Oct 27, 2017
Living in Vegas had prepared me for this new hellscape. It's going to be 113. So close!

I don't know how I used to play basketball in this nonsense

grand

Oct 25, 2017

For 110 degrees to pose a danger of fairly quick death, the humidity needs to be quite high, so that the body can't keep its core temperature low through perspiration. Death Valley is typically a very low-humidity environment.
While true, the physical exertion from hiking through rough terrain will immensely speed up the inevitable heat stroke. And even in low humidity, children and the elderly can suffer heat stroke within minutes.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
People who have never experienced high temperatures don't realize how bad it is until they're in the middle of it. And at 110+ degress you are dead in minutes unless you know what you're doing.
Stupid thing is that these are the same people that come out to Phoenix or here in Vegas every goddamn summer and complain about the 110+ degrees.

Then they go out to a place that's even fucking hotter.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
Was this measured in the sun or the shade? I remember there was a 60 degree day recorded in Saudi Arabia some time back: https://gulfnews.com/world/gulf/kuw...-highest-temperature-on-earth-1.1560325581417
Official readings always have to be in the air and out of direct sunlight. Every summer there's reports about insane temperatures in the middle east but it always turns out to be clickbait using ground temperatures, temps taken in direct sunlight (such as that article) or just made up.

HTupolev

Oct 27, 2017
And even in low humidity, children and the elderly can suffer heat stroke within minutes.
What are you referring to? Kids get out of cars on scorching hot days in Death Valley and walk around for a while all the time with no ill effects.

Usually when people talk about children and the elderly succumbing rapidly to heat illness, it's in the context of being locked in a parked car, exposed to temperatures that quickly rise far above the outdoor temperatures.

Oct 25, 2017
Still can't believe people still try to go there between May and October.

It can be real nice in in the summer with less people. I've been out on badwater basin at midnight and there are zero cars the entire stretch of the highway and it's just you and the stars.

Only real issue can be a ton of campground spots are closed for the off season, but even then the satellite campgrounds can be really nice like Mesquite Springs, which is a bit elevated and not quite so hot.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ

Nah, 110 in low humidity is fine as long as you have water, and preferably are not in direct sunlight. I live in Phoenix and don't have AC in my car, and used to commute all the time when its over 110. Though I guess that falls under "know what you're doing", but even still it will take more than just minutes to affect someone.

Kordelle

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
It was 48c last year when I was there, another 6c on top of that is just insane.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
inhoffe-2.jpg

grand

Oct 25, 2017
What are you referring to? Kids get out of cars on scorching hot days in Death Valley and walk around for a while all the time with no ill effects.

Usually when people talk about children and the elderly succumbing rapidly to heat illness, it's in the context of being locked in a parked car, exposed to temperatures that quickly rise far above the outdoor temperatures.
I'm talking about hiking through death valley. And I'm not saying that children and the elderly would die within minutes, but rather the onset of heat exhaustion & heat stroke would begin, which would severely decrease their chances of survival when stranded. I wasn't referring to a kid walking around a tourist stop with a cool drink in hand. They would just need sunscreen lol

HTupolev

Oct 27, 2017
I'm talking about hiking through death valley. And I'm not saying that children and the elderly would die within minutes, but rather the onset of heat exhaustion & heat stroke would begin, which would severely decrease their chances of survival when stranded. I wasn't referring to a kid walking around a tourist stop with a cool drink in hand. They would just need sunscreen lol
What do you mean by "onset of heat stroke"? Typically that implies that not only has a person's thermoregulation failed, but their core temperature has already risen well above 100F. If that happens in just a few minutes, a cool drink in hand isn't going to help much, and walking around a tourist trap would be extremely dangerous.

Healthy children of an age to be walking around are generally perfectly capable of thermoregulating against temperatures like dry 110F anyway. Exertion can blow that balance to pieces, but similar to the adult case we're not talking core temperatures blasting from the 98 to the 105F ballpark or whatever after just a few minutes of walking. Human bodies are big sacks of water, they're pretty resistant to rapid heating.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
God damn so you're saying that poor German family died slow and painful

Their remains were found a ways from their car, and were all separate from each other, so they died one by one. If I remember right the guy that found them speculated that at least one of the children would have been left alone before dying. The whole situation would have been horrifying.

Oct 25, 2017
México
WTF. 110°F is the average in my city in the summer (North Mexico border with Texas).

Maximum for today is 104°F because it's cloudy. There is nothing to worry about 110°F.

V0PMaJC.jpg