• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The mods definitely need to see who is making the VGA thread so they can coordinate to get the 2nd post.

animalcrossed

Oct 28, 2017
People can like different things. I loved Death Stranding and didn't like Control. Both are still good games and both clearly have their own audience and fans. Dismissing either as some sort of conspiracy or gaming of the system (it's a reader poll lol, not an election) is kinda silly.

Wink784

Oct 27, 2017
just because you didn't like a review does not make it dog shit. speaking using such hyperbole as tho their experience isn't valid because they didn't play the game ""right"" is silly and just makes you look like a disgruntled fan
There's a difference between not playing a game the way I would and directly misrepresenting gameplay in your review. One can talk about a system being very complex or obtuse to learn and warn the viewers about it, but not make it a fact that the game works a certain way when there are remedies for that built into the design. I'm not criticising a random user for disliking something that gives them trouble, I'm criticising someone who was paid to inform interested parties about the game.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
So this whole time time people were taking a dump on IGN and saying they were trying to sabotage Death Stranding, and couldn't stand people voting for it, the poll was just over and the game already won?

nDesh

The Three Eyed Raven
Oct 27, 2017
So this whole time time people were taking a dump on IGN and saying they were trying to sabotage Death Stranding, and couldn't stand people voting for it, the poll was just over and the game already won?
Yes.

This is resetera, one of the best and worst forum of the internet depending of the day.

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
There's a difference between not playing a game the way I would and directly misrepresenting gameplay in your review. One can talk about a system being very complex or obtuse to learn and warn the viewers about it, but not make it a fact that the game works a certain way when there are remedies for that built into the design. I'm not criticising a random user for disliking something that gives them trouble, I'm criticising someone who was paid to inform interested parties about the game.
you don't know that they're intentionally misinterpreting the game, that's some weird conspiracy nonsense. go to the OT and pick any page and you'll find people asking questions about how the core mechanics work. there are a lot of things that game doesn't communicate well and, without the community as a resource, i can understand why a reviewer might unintentionally misrepresent a game. it's happened before and it doesn't mean that it's malicious or anything, if anything i would say it's an unintended valid critique of how that game explains itself. it's okay to not find the review good, but to write it off as dog shit and to say the reviewer seemed like an idiot and this poll is what IGN deserves is counterproductive and unnecessary

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
50P63mA.gif

I'm still not sure why but when this happened I burst out laughing

iamandy

Nov 6, 2017
Brasil
IGN Review is pretty terrible. They fail to explain the moment to moment gameplay, they fail to explain the gameplay loop. They even fail to point a real flaw of the game. It's not informative, it's just 20 minutes of rant and some pretty bad gameplay of someone running and failing into some rocks, without even point out the mechanichs.

Wink784

Oct 27, 2017
you don't know that they're intentionally misinterpreting the game, that's some weird conspiracy nonsense. go to the OT and pick any page and you'll find people asking questions about how the core mechanics work. there are a lot of things that game doesn't communicate well and, without the community as a resource, i can understand why a reviewer might unintentionally misrepresent a game. it's happened before and it doesn't mean that it's malicious or anything, if anything i would say it's an unintended valid critique of how that game explains itself. it's okay to not find the review good, but to write it off as dog shit and to say the reviewer seemed like an idiot and this poll is what IGN deserves is counterproductive and unnecessary
I don't think it was intentional and I didn't say that, I'm pretty sure the reviewer had no clue. Which is exactly why it's shit. I obviously disagree about how the game explains itself, because the game explains itself with a gigantic tips section if you're really struggling in addition to tutorial messages that were enough for me personally to not struggle at all and again, I'm not saying it's impossible to criticise this. Just that the way it was done here is an embarrassment for a reviewer... which I'm saying cause I certainly would be embarrassed if I was paid to review a product accurately and turned out this.
You're really reaching to misrepresent what I said btw, with the conspiracy comment and then that IGN "deserves" the poll, I didn't say that, I said IF the review and leaving it out of the poll had anything to do with attracting angry voters it is an appropriate reaction to those actions. There's no value judgment, I'm just observing that IGN made multiple fumbles and I understand why that would cause this reaction if it indeed had anything to do with it.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Control might've taken it for me if technical issues on the base ps4 hadn't dampened my play experience. I'm usually not one to care about those but I had to reset my ps4 at one point because of it.

The game itself was incredible though and I'll definitely get in a the dlc, though maybe for pc next time around

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
I agree but I also agree IGN's review was pretty bad. It's like he didn't understand or use a good third of the mechanics and I couldn't relate to his gripes at all because the game kept giving me tools that made everything more efficient and less tedious. You stop just walking like 3 hours in lol. But we've had that debate enough, I just hope it does well enough for Kojima to expand on the formula and glad it has its fans. Agreed that there's a bunch of things in the game that could be explained better as well.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I think it is actually a good thing that the site's GotY choice and the fans GotY choice differ. It's also OK that the reviewer for the site didn't enjoy the game that won the fans GotY. The posturing in this thread from both sides is really weird.

Mooksoup

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
The work people are doing in this thread to try to rationalise how a lot of people can like a game they are not interested in is bizarre.

Death Stranding is my game of the year, with Control and Resident Evil 2 up there.
But DS gave me a whole new experience. The art, music, chill gameplay and layers of fun hokey metaphor dripping from every system was all so absorbing. Loved it.

Vilam

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see why they have to nominate any game if it didn't get on to the list when all the staff's votes were tallied. For such a large organization, many surely enjoyed it but it didn't make the cut. Unless you're saying a list isn't credible simply because Death Stranding isn't on it.

Would it also lack credibility if Control wasn't there? Or Fallen Order? Or The Outer Worlds?

Setting aside personal preferences, one should be able to objectively conclude that Death Stranding has many fantastic qualities that rightfully justify its inclusion in any legitimate GOTY discussion. There are plenty of games that don't resonate with me that I can still concede are great games - they just aren't for me.

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
A publication and audience have a different opinion? No way.

It earned its praise. Still looks incredibly boring, but I'll have a chance to try it out one day.

Deleted member 45460

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 27, 2018
This is quite the thread..... This is one of my least favorite video games of all-time personally, but I'm glad there are those who enjoyed it. I do not get the smearing of IGN over this though, seems horribly fanboyish to me.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
Not having looked at much of the "controversy" around this title... this is kind of embarrassing how much people are acting like this is some kind of "win" for fans and "loss" for IGN. Yikes.

GillianSeed79

Oct 27, 2017
Wow! I personally really enjoy Death Stranding and find the gameplay loop super addictive, but I didn't think IGN's userbase would be the kind of gamers that would like DS so much. My only complaint is I can't play it as often as I would like.

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
People already forget games that came early in the year, or how they felt about them. That's my take, at least.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Setting aside personal preferences, one should be able to objectively conclude that Death Stranding has many fantastic qualities that rightfully justify its inclusion in any legitimate GOTY discussion. There are plenty of games that don't resonate with me that I can still concede are great games - they just aren't for me.
That's not how it works at these publications though. As far as I know typically each employee provides their own lists of their favorite games and the games are tallied from there. If a game doesn't make that cut, then it just doesn't. Seems like a perfectly fine system to me.

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
Say what you want about Kojima, he knows how to maintain his cult status. He can even pile product placement into his games and people will still worship him.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
My GOTY too. On chapter 10 and I've put 100 hours in. Almost have the platinum too. It will be one of my proudest plats.

Deleted member 2328

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This reminds me of Metal Gear Solid 4 all over again. Not specifically regarding IGN, but because it also received a lot of criticism but general user reception was actually very positive.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
I really hope next gen saves us from clothes clipping...
Bothers me way more than it should, especially in games where the protagonist wears the same outfit and uses the same weapons throughout the game.
Not talking about DS specifically. The clipping in this gif just reminded me of that...

RossoneR

Oct 28, 2017
IGN Review is pretty terrible. They fail to explain the moment to moment gameplay, they fail to explain the gameplay loop. They even fail to point a real flaw of the game. It's not informative, it's just 20 minutes of rant and some pretty bad gameplay of someone running and failing into some rocks, without even point out the mechanichs.

They were crying about having to walk. But they never mentioned in rdr 2 how u have to ride a horse for 5 minutes than 5 minutes in other direction doing nothing.