• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
To be more clear, I'm referring specifically to the potential possibility of folks not necessarily even playing the game and are just "trolling" in this sense by voting for the game since the official review of the game didn't favor it at all. As I said already, it's not to detract from the quality of the game and the game not deserving the award on its own merit regardless. I played it and beat it 55hours in. It was a great experience that I'm glad I did experience, but not my goty. I totally get why it is folks goty though.
Sorry, but this kind of conspiracy theory nonsense is designed at its core to detract. Why can't you just say "well done!"?

I'm a gameplay first, story/characters waaaaaaaay second kinda guy. Death Stranding does not appeal to me for that reason. The discussion has been a fun ride though.

The gameplay in DS is the best thing about DS.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
So where was this army of Kojima worshippers that makes sure his games wins reader polls back in 2015 with MGSV?

Or just maybe, people really liked Death Stranding? Nah that couldn't be it.

Wink784

Oct 27, 2017
The review they put up for the game was dog shit. I have no doubt the reviewer was annoyed by the small things he mentioned but a third of the vid review was complaining about small details at length while showcasing how terrible the guy was at playing the game, stumbling all over like an idiot. Leaving it off a reader's choice poll is also idiotic when it's clear that there was a lot of positivity for the game out there. I do think it would have done well in the poll regardless, but if all of the above influenced the vote to DS winning it's an appropriate reaction.

Important announcement from Hatsune Miku
OP
OP

Deleted member 227

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
YxQqs2C.png

NinjaBoiX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm glad such a left field game has done so well, it's definitely a daring release.

I've watched some videos of it and it looks well put together and technically accomplished but I just can't see walking around a barren landscape with huge backpack and nothing but Kojima's cut scenes to entertain you as remotely appealing to me.

Each to their own I guess.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
So where was this army of Kojima worshippers that makes sure his games wins reader polls back in 2015 with MGSV?

Or just maybe, people really liked Death Stranding? Nah that couldn't be it.

i mean going by that logic it seems like the army of kojima loyal wouldn't want to support a game that he got fired from halfway through?

ABK281

Apr 5, 2018
It's a game that's the opposite of good. Some may define that as bad, it's up to you to decide.

Dreazy

Oct 25, 2018
Wat.

Everytime I saw that poll Fallen Order was leading by like 15%. I guess there was some random huge push by some gooberino's.

This is exactly what happen, but since this is a people choice award, i guess i dont really mind, shit is really corny how ppl push agendas / console war stuff tho lol.

Sorel

Oct 27, 2017
It's like anything where there are votes...its more on the people who didn't vote. They dont get the right to complain afterwards.

Congrats to death stranding and its fan base really going to bat for the game.

The game has a very passionate following that are in every goty thread possible pushing the game.

It also came out in november and with the controversy around it I think there are a large group of death stranding fans that can pitch together and really push for the game to win every possible user voted award.

Good on them. I hope it wins them all.

Personally I want control and sekiro to win more but I accept that I cant compete with the death strand gang lol.
Your post made me think about something.
Honestly I liked this years a lot and even though DS is my clear goty there's a lot of games I liked and worthy of the distinction. I'm not too sure personally for control but still, Sekiro was incredible, will always remember the first time I fought some of these bosses, The resurrection of the Ape, the sound appearance of the ape, Im' disappointed there hasn't been any DLC though. RE 2 was great too. We.The.Revolution. Borderlands 3, etc...

OSHAN

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a gameplay first, story/characters waaaaaaaay second kinda guy. Death Stranding does not appeal to me for that reason. The discussion has been a fun ride though.

Definitely give it a shot. I've seen, I don't know, 2-3 hours of cutscenes for the 30 hours I've been playing. It drip feeds traversal wrinkles and it is satisfying to play. Very "gamey," if that makes sense.

Oct 27, 2017
I agree that there are very harmful individuals in executive positions who are massive egotist but the difference is that nobody that I know of is actively praising those people yet a lot of people seem to worship Kojima.
A key difference to me is that we don't know any harmful things Kojima has done to his employees or staff so that would explain why people don't have a problem "worshiping" him. So I still think Kojima is not in that class just because you or I may not see the value in his work

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
Brilliant game. Kojima did good. One of the most unique gaming experiences in a while. Not my GOTY but no complaints.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Read the post you replied to, it's not hard to understand, if you're just gonna jump around it then there is nothing more to add.

The post I replied to said that flame wars started with Death Stranding, and the posts afterwards did nothing to disprove that claim. I provided evidence that, no, flame wars didn't start with Death Stranding and suddenly that's completely unrelated for some unknown reason.

Because there is nothing to discuss about it and there was no such thing as you're implying.

You called me a "Kojima hater," out of nowhere lol. Frankly after that there shouldn't have been anything to discuss.

Pokemon is in competition with this. F*ing post-Dexit Pokemon. And yes, Sekiro, with the revival of the game difficulty debate and RE2 just for being RE2 and very good had their own time in the spotlight as well.

I've seen much less in the way of people trying to defend Pokemon, Sekiro, and RE2's honour than I have for Death Stranding/Kojima. In context none of those games recieved a low score from IGN and there weren't multiple threads and Reddit posts declaring that "IGN intentionally tried to shut us down,"; they're just not the exact same and, even if they were, it doesn't disprove anything (and, really, it's not like I'm making a legal case here, I'm literally just saying to take this all with the grain of salt every User Review deserves) as people aren't robots who must always act in y way based on x criteria.

Na, sorry, but it remains conspiracy theory nonsense that DS fans just happened to game it while the opposite didn't.

I didn't expect you to push this nonsense, Plum.

Why? I'm literally just saying that a poll that is easily gamed could have been gamed and you're saying that such a thing is equivalent to the Flat Earth theory because a completely different group didn't do an incredibly specific and very obscure thing (deciding to rig a GOTY poll against another game).

If this is conspiracy theory nonsense then so are people going "User Reviews don't matter."

...because they don't. Asking for opinions on something on the internet, when spread over a wide-enough platform (e.g. the IGN forums) will never be in any way shape or form a scientific way of gathering data. Declaring that people must suddenly lay down their skepticism and unanimously declare "well done," lest they be labelled a conspiracy theorist is just really weird to me considering how this forum usually does treat User Reviews, Polls, etc. Sorry if that's not how you "expect" me to act but, eh, at least I'm not calling you a Kojima fanboy lol

SuperYlvis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I guess the abundance of people on Era stating DS is their GotY doesn't hint at the fact that, despite its divisive nature, this game just HAS that many who consider it so?

I guess every time a game is popular it's just fanboys then...

Reading around Era I've read people stating 50+ games being GOTY, so I'm not sure what you're reaching for there.

GMT Master

Oct 3, 2019
User Banned (3 Days): Antagonizing other users
The responses in this thread prove that this medium is still for children. So many salty babies crying because a video game site didn't award (or nominate) a mediocre at best game with game of the year.

At least they can take solace in believing that random internet voting meaning something.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Why? I'm literally just saying that a poll that is easily gamed could have been gamed and you're saying that such a thing is equivalent to the Flat Earth theory because a completely different group didn't do an incredibly specific and very obscure thing (deciding to rig a GOTY poll against another game).

If this is conspiracy theory nonsense then so are people going "User Reviews don't matter."

...because they don't. Asking for opinions on something on the internet, when spread over a wide-enough platform (e.g. the IGN forums) will never be in any way shape or form a scientific way of gathering data. Declaring that people must suddenly lay down their skepticism and unanimously declare "well done," lest they be labelled a conspiracy theorist is just really weird to me considering how this forum usually does treat User Reviews, Polls, etc. Sorry if that's not how you "expect" me to act but, eh, at least I'm not calling you a Kojima fanboy lol
...because it is needlessly pushing conspiracy nonsense when you could just say "well done".

If it was THAT likely that fans would game the win, then the opposing side who are INCREDIBLY vocal wouldn't have ignored the opportunity. The safest assumption here, by FAR, is that enough people thought it was their GotY.

Reading around Era I've read people stating 50+ games being GOTY, so I'm not sure what you're reaching for there.

Death Stranding is a very common GotY pick on Era. No reach. Wait for our own poll.

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
The funniest part of this thread is that the people who should be happy this won seem like the most upset about the whole thing.

Nov 26, 2017
Wow, some people in here really have thumbs stuck up their asses about this game winning, huh?

Anyways, while I personally didn't enjoy the game, I don't fault anybody who does. Congrats to Kojima for the success, and hopefully this will at least incite him to make a sequel that fixes some of the problems I had with the game.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
"Take that IGN!" I say as I go to their website and vote for a game with an infinite budget published by one of the three industry leaders, and encourage others to also visit the website and vote for the game, and then post about it on social media to encourage yet more people to visit their website. It's a win for everyone: Fans get to feel smug for defending the honor of a multibillion dollar entertainment giant, Sony gets free advertising during the holiday season for one of their games, and IGN gets ad revenue and brand engagement. Everyone wins!

Xbro

Oct 25, 2017
This is gold lol
And I assume people will now try to downplay the other´s thread posters and ignore what the IGN mod said right ?
Anyway one of the best games of this gen so far for me so happy to see the the recognition.
The IGN mod was making a joke that was blown way out of proportion. On top of that, moderators don't actually work for IGN, and things said by them don't reflect the site as a whole

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lack of credibility by excluding Death Stranding from IGN's GOTY list. Control is fantastic and a well deserved win, but not nominating DS is egregious.
Fanboys are the worst. And yes, this is complete fanboy drivel, there's no way around it. "Egregious". Jfc.

I wonder how many of you folks made fun of unreasonable 7/10 BoTW whiners and other equally pathetic folks but can't see how you're doing the exact same thing. Get a grip.

Wink784

Oct 27, 2017
Yikes is right, it was a bad review supported by gameplay clips that were either staged or proof of someone not having learned how to play. I don't care about the score, I care about representing the game as what it is, not overemphasising small annoyances while being unable to talk about the nuances of the gameplay. I'll say it again, that review was dogshit.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
The gameplay in DS is the best thing about DS.

Agreed. Was a pleasant surprise actually. The first few chapters can sway you to think otherwise. This is one of those games where you have to play it and decide if you don't like it. I know that's not the best thing to do. Maybe rent it if you can?

Plum

May 31, 2018
I'm glad such a left field game has done so well, it's definitely a daring release.

I've watched some videos of it and it looks well put together and technically accomplished but I just can't see walking around a barren landscape with huge backpack and nothing but Kojima's cut scenes to entertain you as remotely appealing to me.

Each to their own I guess.

Frankly Death Stranding is less that and more a 'Logistics Simulator'. The game is heavily based around resource management, weight management, proper routing and planning both long-term and short. The actual 'pressing forward to walk to a destination' stuff is, in reality, around 30% of the game I'd say.

It's still not a game for everyone but it was definitely a game for me

- Signed, Plum the Kojima Hater :P

...because it is needlessly pushing conspiracy nonsense when you could just say "well done".

If it was THAT likely that fans would game the win, then the opposigin side wouldn't have ignored the opportunity. The safest assumption here, by FAR, is that enough people thought it was their GotY.

One side not doing something does not mean the other side could never do something. That's not how things work.

And, no, you don't declare what I can and can't say based on what you personally have deemed to be "conspiratorial thinking." Again, I'm not declaring this result moot or anything like that, you're free to say "well done," because I ain't you, I'm declaring that I don't take it that seriously because 1) I don't take any User Reviews/Polls seriously and 2) Death Stranding and its relation to IGN has been shrouded by a very heavy amount of flame warring.

SuperYlvis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User banned (3 days): off-site drama, previous ban for same behaviour.
Who are you kidding? This is what routinely happens, Death Stranding or Kojima haters making things bigger than they are and disingenuously trying to put fans of the game under the bus in a drive by low bait sort of way.

Digging in post history are we now? I remember you from way back on the IGN Boards having routinely meltdowns each week on the PS3 boards. Let's say just say you should consider yourself lucky that we no longer have access to 00s/early 10s post history over there.

DerpHause

Oct 27, 2017
The funniest part of this thread is that the people who should be happy this won seem like the most upset about the whole thing.

Wat? The only ones reacting negatively to the win are those suggesting the victory was retaliatory rather than based on the merits of the game and those who enjoyed it.

The whole tone here was basically set by those individuals coming out of the woodwork to let us know their take.

Frankly Death Stranding is less that and more a 'Logistics Simulator'. The game is heavily based around resource management, weight management, proper routing and planning both long-term and short. The actual 'pressing forward to walk to a destination' stuff is, in reality, around 30% of the game I'd say.

If you want to run it that way you can. It's not neccessary by a long shot. You'll probably have some situational gear you want to work with but a large part might be common stuff which expands as the game goes on but I've never found myself constantly refitting for each trip.

Last edited:

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Agreed. Was a pleasant surprise actually. The first few chapters can sway you to think otherwise. This is one of those games where you have to play it and decide if you don't like it. I know that's not the best thing to do. Maybe rent it if you can?

It's definitely one of those games. I don't find many games require you to play them to get a good judge of them, but this is one. Videos/Playthroughs make it look extremely boring, especially early game.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
One side not doing something does not mean the other side could never do something. That's not how things work.

And, no, you don't declare what I can and can't say based on what you personally have deemed to be "conspiratorial thinking." Again, I'm not declaring this result moot or anything like that, you're free to say "well done," because I ain't you, I'm declaring that I don't take it that seriously because 1) I don't take any User Reviews/Polls seriously and 2) Death Stranding and its relation to IGN has been shrouded by a very heavy amount of flame warring.
And the fact the system could be gamed via a little effort doesn't mean it was.

The safest assumption, by FAR, is that enough people just thought it was their GoTY.

The idea that it was gamed IS conspiracy nonsense mate, and nothing you have written changes that.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Digging in post history are we now? I remember you from way back on the IGN Boards having routinely meltdowns each week on the PS3 boards. Let's say just say you should consider yourself lucky that we no longer have access to 00s/early 10s post history over there.
no need for ign boards , this forum is as good example as any