• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Plum

May 31, 2018
If I'm objectively wrong then it should be easy for you to provide proof that I'm wrong, what previous year winner thread was full of conspiracy theories and insulting the devs?

Mega64 literally made a video highlighting the phenomena of 'fanboys' getting angry and conspiratorial over review scores in 2012 (albeit from the perspective of the reviewer instead of the developer).

Do you really think that tribalistic flame warring just suddenly started once Death Stranding released?

All I've seen from you is argue against the game in every thread, it's fine, you don't have to admit it but it's easy to see the patten.

I will admit that I tend to veer into the negative side too often when it comes to how I post but, no, just because "you saw me posting negative stuff" doesn't make you right in applying the "Kojima hater" label onto me nor does it make you right in resorting to ad hominen attacks instead of actual arguments.

Frankly all that does is make me doubt whether or not any of you actually like the game or whether you're doing it as to not be labelled a 'Kojima hater' and cast out from the community.

...and yes that bit was a joke but, really, it's exactly the same kind of logic that creates "rabid Kojima hater," from "I saw some negative posts you made."
That fervour doesn't just go in the favor of the game, especially in this case. It's not like GoW or BoTW with near universal glowing praise signal boosting them in a purely positive light. Games people talk about because of their controversy aren't the same as games talked about purely in emphasis of their positive qualities.

Games like God of War and BotW definitely had fervour on both sides; the major difference is that the critic score reflected that a bit less than opinions on the battlefield. What's happening with "Death Stranding" and "Kojima," is the exact same thing that happened with "Breath of the Wild" and "Nintendo", "God of War" and "Sony," and "Red Dead Redemption 2" and "Rockstar." It's the clash of a somewhat divisive game (in terms of their being very little in the way of 'middle ground' when it comes to the most widespread opinions) with a very popular 'tribe', and I just don't see it as a stretch for Death Stranding to both benefit and suffer from that in the war that will be this year's GOTY discussions.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
My favorite game of the generation and possibly ever. Congrats to Kojipro!

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Lack of credibility by excluding Death Stranding from IGN's GOTY list. Control is fantastic and a well deserved win, but not nominating DS is egregious.
I don't see why they have to nominate any game if it didn't get on to the list when all the staff's votes were tallied. For such a large organization, many surely enjoyed it but it didn't make the cut. Unless you're saying a list isn't credible simply because Death Stranding isn't on it.

Would it also lack credibility if Control wasn't there? Or Fallen Order? Or The Outer Worlds?

SuperYlvis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This has happened to many popular things on many sites. It's bullshit always, but it's the same bullshit we see for things like Star Wars, and console wars, and pretty much anything that is divisive.

It's not exclusive here and it doesn't reduce the win. You can see non-fanatical reactions stating DS is my GotY all over Era... the game is just popular, despite its devise nature.

That's exactly my point, IGN (and other sites) being crowded with fanboys. You're just making my point even stronger.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
One big happy family, right?
Nope, not interested in this kind of drama. Just stop with the generalization. I know quite a few people who truly like this game and think it's GotG worthy.

Bullshit!!!

Well, TIL I'm a Kojima fan. Not a fan of the games he make, that I played.

I'm a fan of the maaaaan. I've put waaaay more hours into Death Stranding than MGS V, but I'm a fan of the man.

Generalizations everywhere.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Why does a part of me feel that this was intentionally done purely out of spite of their negative review of the game? Not saying that this isn't a testament to how good the game is though. Not my personal pick, but i'd totally understand peoples' love for it.
I don't know why part of you is going to that kind of conspiracy theory ahead of, you know, people just liking this game a lot? Read any GotY thread on this site and you'll see so many people calling DS theirs.

Probably, that doesn't excuse people that are toxic against people that dislike death stranding though.

Nobody ever suggested it does.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Or people just voted for their goty and this was the result?

It's like anything where there are votes...its more on the people who didn't vote. They dont get the right to complain afterwards.

Congrats to death stranding and its fan base really going to bat for the game.

Well deserved given it is a fantastic game. That said, I am surprised it would win a people's vote given how niche a genre or style of game it is.

The game has a very passionate following that are in every goty thread possible pushing the game.

It also came out in november and with the controversy around it I think there are a large group of death stranding fans that can pitch together and really push for the game to win every possible user voted award.

Good on them. I hope it wins them all.

Personally I want control and sekiro to win more but I accept that I cant compete with the death strand gang lol.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
People here trying to discredit Death Stranding winning this poll by saying fans of the game got together to vote for it.

Errr what? Isn't that like the whole point?

OSHAN

Oct 27, 2017
Is Kojima known to be difficult to work with? I don't doubt he has an ego--virtually every creative has an ego--but he doesn't seem like an asshole.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ah the classic diversion in order to defend Kojima. It's not Kojima that has an ego it is I for reasons unknown. For me personally the game isn't art but to each their own but I respect your opinion on it. Wish it were possible to separate this game from Kojima and then see how many people actually like it.

What makes you think people can't and haven't done that?

A name alone isn't going to make me enjoy a game or its mechanics. There may be such zealots out there but to assume most of us have such a mindset is ridiculous.

Is it really that difficult for you to accept the reality that people genuinely like this game, regardless of Kojima?

Lusamine

Oct 25, 2017
I was referring to Hideo Kojima and your obsession with "proving" to the internet that the people that enjoyed another one of his games didn't really enjoy it because doing so calms your heart.

I don't want you to remember me - it's one of the reasons why I don't have a screenname.
Uhhhh I never implied that people never enjoyed the game nor have a problem if people enjoyed it. Why do you keep bringing up emotions into this?

astro

Oct 25, 2017
That's exactly my point, IGN (and other sites) being crowded with fanboys. You're just making my point even stronger.
I guess the abundance of people on Era stating DS is their GotY doesn't hint at the fact that, despite its divisive nature, this game just HAS that many who consider it so?

I guess every time a game is popular it's just fanboys then...

Ohri-Jin

Banned
Jul 11, 2019
The Netherlands
People here trying to discredit Death Stranding winning this poll by saying fans of the game got together to vote for it.

Errr what? Isn't that like the whole point?
Of course however the intention should always be about the game/products and its elements!! Not because of some semi worshipped human being from another realm who happened to travel to our realm, named Hideo fcking Kojima.

🙄

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Mega64 literally made a video highlighting the phenomena of 'fanboys' getting angry and conspiratorial over review scores in 2012 (albeit from the perspective of the reviewer instead of the developer).

Do you really think that tribalistic flame warring just suddenly started once Death Stranding released?

This has nothing to do with what you replied to, period.

DerpHause

Oct 27, 2017
Games like God of War and BotW definitely had fervour on both sides; the major difference is that the critic score reflected that a bit less than opinions on the battlefield. What's happening with "Death Stranding" and "Kojima," is the exact same thing that happened with "Breath of the Wild" and "Nintendo", "God of War" and "Sony," and "Red Dead Redemption 2" and "Rockstar." It's the clash of a somewhat divisive game (in terms of their being very little in the way of 'middle ground' when it comes to the most widespread opinions) with a very popular 'tribe', and I just don't see it as a stretch for Death Stranding to both benefit and suffer from that in the war that will be this year's GOTY discussions.

GoW and BoTW had much more lopsided pro-game fervor than DS. Any attempt to suggest the situations are the same feels disingenuous at best. Yes, there are hardline fanboys but the groups dismissing DS aren't limited to the haldline opposition groups in the console wars. Those games won plenty of awards without being "controversial" among level heads.

Uhhhh I never implied that people never enjoyed the game nor have a problem if people enjoyed it. Why do you keep bringing up emotions into this?

No, you just implied the only reason a significant number of people voted for it was because of the IGN score it received rather than people enjoying it.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
I do wonder if death stranding very divisive nature helps it in this kind of polls where you have to select one favorite game. On era for example it will probably be at a lot of top spots but also a lot of lists it will be totally absent from. That could hurt it against a game that is not in as many top spots, but on a lot more lists in total.

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
There are real egomaniacs doing harm to the industry in high up positions, like the execs who were running bad practices behind the scenes at Riot Games, and Pitchford if even a single one of the lawsuit allegations are true, yet Kojima is an egomaniac?

his games are over the top, indulgent, nonsensical, and not confined to industry standards. This makes them good and bad sometimes. Death Stranding is a flawed game (that I loved) for sure, and like any game it is subjective.

but I feel like calling Kojima an egomaniac is a bit absurd. I don't get the Fast & Furious franchise, seems like an over the top car focused action series that I haven't enjoyed in the past, and maybe I would not enjoy them if I gave them a chance, but I wouldn't call their creators/actors/fans anything negative. It's not for me, that's fine. Death Stranding is not for you, and it's certainly a bummer you spent money on it and we're disappointed.
I agree that there are very harmful individuals in executive positions who are massive egotist but the difference is that nobody that I know of is actively praising those people yet a lot of people seem to worship Kojima.
are u angry?. Is just a minor award. It seems some people liked the game, be happy for them!.
And I truly am happy for people who enjoy it. I have no problem with anyone liking something that I don't but I feel like it's an injustice to feed Kojimas ego. No matter where it comes from I feel that it sends a wrong message in the gaming industry. Just looks at how divided this game alone has made us.

Plum

May 31, 2018
I don't know why part of you is going to that kind of conspiracy theory ahead of, you know, people just liking this game a lot? Read any GotY thread on this site and you'll see so many people calling DS theirs.

Conspiracy theory as a term has completely lost its bite at this point. Saying that a User Poll from a site with no restrictions on account creation and a relatively lax level of moderation might not be the scientific study that it could be is not a "conspiracy theory."

This has nothing to do with what you replied to, period.

How?

And why did you my rebuttal to the ad hominen attack?

GoW and BoTW had much more lopsided pro-game fervor than DS. Any attempt to suggest the situations are the same feels disingenuous at best. Yes, there are hardline fanboys but the groups dismissing DS aren't limited to the haldline opposition groups in the console wars. Those games won plenty of awards without being "controversial" among level heads.

But they still had a disproportionate amount of fervour compared to other games, and that did benefit them in the same way it could benefit DS as well. The fact that DS is a bit more divisive over all doesn't negate the fact that there are a lot of heated opinions on the game that could influence things from both angles. I mean I doubt you'd argue that even the other front-runners like Sekiro, Control and RE2 have the same level of fervour as Death Stranding has had so I don't see why it's such an out-there idea to suggest that that fervour might have manifested itself here in some way shape or form.

I mean the guy I replied to above directly attacked me as a "Kojima hater," because I wasn't calling it GOTG in every thread. I've been called many things in my time but I doubt that I'd be called a "Sekiro hater," for saying that I really disliked playing that game and am disappointed in the direction it shows FROM going in.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Is Kojima known to be difficult to work with? I don't doubt he has an ego--virtually every creative has an ego--but he doesn't seem like an asshole.

Most or many of his employees followed him directly from Konami, so I somehow doubt he's horrible to work with. Being a perfectionist, super hands on or very particular, isn't the same thing as being an asshole.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Conspiracy theory as a term has completely lost its bite at this point. Saying that a User Poll from a site with no restrictions on account creation and a relatively lax level of moderation might not be the scientific study that it could be is not a "conspiracy theory.
Yes, it absolutely is.

If that were the case (that the system was gamed) we have PLENTY of haters who would have done it the opposite direction. It wouldn't ONLY work for DS.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
Well deserved and goes to show that it should've been at least nominated.

No it doesn't? IGN's own list is the list of what they thought where the best games. The readers choice is the list of what the readers thought was the best game. I rather have their list truly reflect their opinion instead of being influenced of what others think.

Ohri-Jin

Banned
Jul 11, 2019
The Netherlands

No, you just implied the only reason a significant number of people voted for it was because of the IGN score it received rather than people enjoying it.
Well said.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I do wonder if death stranding very divisive nature helps it in this kind of polls where you have to select one favorite game. On era for example it will probably be at a lot of top spots but also a lot of lists it will be totally absent from. That could hurt it against a game that is not in as many top spots, but on a lot more lists in total.

Yeah that could change things a lot.

I think looking at the TGA user poll has been interesting to contrast this actually. It started with picking 3 games, today is on 2, tomorrow will be only picking 1. Looks like Smash and Fire Emblem are sweeping pretty hard, but Jedi is ahead of Death Stranding right now. I don't think only one pick will change this much, but on Era the way a game is weighted could help a lot if, when it shows on a list, it's basically only at the top.

Though TGA does need a log in to verify the vote. It is super easy to game the IGN one if someone wanted to troll.

OP
OP

Deleted member 227

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Phenomenal game 👍💙+337
50P63mA.gif

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Man Kojima fanboys are a special bunch

So if I enjoyed DS am I an automatic Kojima fanboy? Or do I need to have enjoyed most if not all of his creative output?

I'm just wondering because people love tossing around these labels without bothering to explain what they mean.

Personally, I'm a huge fan of a myriad of developers and studios but that alone doesn't make me a zealot or some frothing lunatic unable to cast a critical eye towards their respective works.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Yes, it absolutely is.

If that were the case (that the system were so easily gamed) we have PLENTY of haters who would have done it the opposite direction. It wouldn't ONLY work for DS.

The system is very easily gamed. It's a free-to-join internet forum, not a voting booth and not even Era.

Similarly the "PLENTY" of haters who could have, somehow, rigged the poll in their favour (how and, more relevantly, why would they do that?) might have just not done it. They're not mutually exclusive elements; you don't need one to 'prove' the other.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
User Warned: Antagonising other members
Man Kojima fanboys are a special bunch

Who are you kidding? This is what routinely happens, Death Stranding or Kojima haters making things bigger than they are and disingenuously trying to put fans of the game under the bus in a drive by low bait sort of way.

Best: Nintendo Switch / Switch Lite my favourite console since the gba, this thing keeps being amazing with each new release

Worst: Death Stranding / Anthem

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Could've included a short "voting has concluded. Thanks for participating!" message to keep things clear and save us some headaches, can't really fault people for being suspect when IGN didn't handle the situation that well. At least it's all clear now!

Yup.
You can make this argument for every game and every year yet this is the only year were people act embarrassingly about it, you Kojima haters are really something else.

Yeah, like when Walking Dead won..I wonder how did folks take that.
This topic has taught me that some people think fans of a game getting other fans of the game to vote in a poll is considered a bad thing and acting in a wrong way.
Being a fan is bad. Don't ever be a fan.

DerpHause

Oct 27, 2017
But they still had a disproportionate amount of fervour compared to other games, and that did benefit them in the same way it could benefit DS as well. The fact that DS is a bit more divisive over all doesn't negate the fact that there are a lot of heated opinions on the game that could influence things from both angles. I mean I doubt you'd argue that even the other front-runners like Sekiro, Control and RE2 have the same level of fervour as Death Stranding has had so I don't see why it's such an out-there idea to suggest that that fervour might have manifested itself here in some way shape or form.

Pokemon is in competition with this. F*ing post-Dexit Pokemon. And yes, Sekiro, with the revival of the game difficulty debate and RE2 just for being RE2 and very good had their own time in the spotlight as well.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
The system is very easily gamed. It's a free-to-join internet forum, not a voting booth and not even Era.

Similarly the "PLENTY" of haters who could have, somehow, rigged the poll in their favour (how and, more relevantly, why would they do that?) might have just not done it. They're not mutually exclusive elements; you don't need one to 'prove' the other.
Na, sorry, but it remains conspiracy theory nonsense that DS fans just happened to game it while the opposite didn't.

I didn't expect you to push this nonsense, Plum.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA

To be more clear, I'm referring specifically to the potential possibility of folks not necessarily even playing the game and are just "trolling" in this sense by voting for the game since the official review of the game didn't favor it at all. As I said already, it's not to detract from the quality of the game and the game not deserving the award on its own merit regardless. I played it and beat it 55hours in. It was a great experience that I'm glad I did experience, but not my goty. I totally get why it is folks goty though.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a gameplay first, story/characters waaaaaaaay second kinda guy. Death Stranding does not appeal to me for that reason. The discussion has been a fun ride though.