• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
México
Any chance of Nintendo incorporating DLSS into the Switch Pro/Switch 2?

Seems like a no-brainer. They are already using NVIDIA for their SoC, and it could run PS5/XSX games (not natively).

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
Any chance of Nintendo incorporating DLSS into the Switch Pro/Switch 2?

Seems like a no-brainer. They are already using NVIDIA for their SoC, and it could run PS5/XSX games (not natively).
Not if it is a major cost factor, knowing Nintendo, even if they tech is available for years, they will op out to save cost. But this topic belong to another thread

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The draw distance on the left mountain range/the far center grassland is a little gross, did the PS4 have that as well?
Distant environment textures in Death Stranding would sometimes look like that but blurry textures in the distance are usually masked pretty effectively by volumetric fog and 3d ground detail

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Great news to hear that AMD have a genuine contender to DLSS 2.0!

Who knows, Series X and PS5 might already be using it.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017

Wait what? AMD do NOT have anything to compete is the word out there. CAS is no more than a sharpening filter that is done smarter than a typical image sharpening filter. DLSS is a complete different beast.

nikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
I'm really tempted to double dip instead of finishing the game on PS4 Pro even though I'm about halfway through it and it looks decent on console.

The combat would be so much better on mouse/keyboard, but I feel like a controller is necessary for the game's core mechanics.

Pottuvoi

Oct 28, 2017
The draw distance on the left mountain range/the far center grassland is a little gross, did the PS4 have that as well?
Yes.

Mid long ranges lose the small clutter from rocks and grass and base surface in some cases doesn't look varied enough.
There are some ways developers might try to reduce the problem although I'm not sure how feasible those are. (IE. Baking the information from clutter objects to runtime virtual texture.)

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Glad to see the DLSS support for Death Stranding. I game at 1080p/240Hz with an RTX 2080, so anything I can use to pump up the framerate is always welcome.

540p here I come.

Chris_Rivera

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
In motion I thought DLSS can show artifacts? Doesn't sound superior to native if so.

better have HDR, no way I'm dropping $60 if not

Nov 2, 2017

Even current gen games are already using sharpening filters. They're nothing new. Seriously even CAS has been around for over a year so I don't get the surprise.

Edit: Generally though upscaling + sharpening usually doesn't deliver good results so it would surprise me that it would match DLSS 2.0. It's why something like checkerboard redendering even exists.

Deleted member 18161

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Even current gen games are already using sharpening filters. They're nothing new. Seriously even CAS has been around for over a year so I don't get the surprise.

Edit: Generally though upscaling + sharpening usually doesn't deliver good results so it would surprise me that it would match DLSS 2.0. It's why something like checkerboard redendering even exists.

Like I said in the post above yours. Take it up with the guy who said it performs better at upscaling than DLSS 2.0 in his tech review of it. I'm only going on his article...

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I assume these are 4KDLSS.

death-stranding-nvidia-geforce-rtx-dlss-2-0-exclusive-screenshot-001.jpg

Just noticed Sam has a fucking valve on the back of his head.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
Like I said in the post above yours. Take it up with the guy who said it performs better at upscaling than DLSS 2.0 in his tech review of it. I'm only going on his article...
Can you share the link again? I know there is a lot of hype when we were still dealing with DLSS 1.0. Most games were straight up shit, only advantage of dlss 1.0 was better alpha transparencies like hair etc. If you look at games like ff15 for example. CAS seems to be doing a better job at providing a better IQ but things are very jaggy. Everything changed after dlss 2.0 is out, specifically wolf 2 young blood. And nvidia also add a new sharpening method in their driver menu which further improves DLSS and TAA games at a minimal performance cost. I pretty much leave it on permanently in the control panel, every single game looks razer sharp.

Deleted member 18161

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can you share the link again? I know there is a lot of hype when we were still dealing with DLSS 1.0. Most games were straight up shit, only advantage of dlss 1.0 was better alpha transparencies like hair etc. If you look at games like ff15 for example. CAS seems to be doing a better job at providing a better IQ but things are very jaggy. Everything changed after dlss 2.0 is out, specifically wolf 2 young blood. And nvidia also add a new sharpening method in their driver menu which further improves DLSS and TAA games at a minimal performance cost. I pretty much leave it on permanently in the control panel, every single game looks razer sharp.

arstechnica.com

Why this month’s PC port of Death Stranding is the definitive version [Updated]

A major embargo is up, so we've added comparison images for anti-aliasing methods.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
I'll be using DLSS 2.0 myself it's just exciting to have competition as it will drive the technology to be even better.
Me too, for next gen consoles sake, but as far as I know CAS ain't the competition nor even close. Nvidia also have the same thing. Kind of wish the last bath of current gen consoles games can use CAS since it works with any hardware. Tlou 2 1440p + CAS could have been great.

orava

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 10, 2019
Interested to see actual comparisons in the final game. I seriously doubt that rescaling + sharpening shader can beat actual reconstruction. Early/defective DLSS implementation maybe?

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Interested to see actual comparisons in the final game. I seriously doubt that rescaling + sharpening shader can beat actual reconstruction. Early/defective DLSS implementation maybe?
I'll be using DLSS 2.0 myself it's just exciting to have competition as it will drive the technology to be even better.

Let me just say - that I do not think that CAS in this title is doing reconstruction at all. There are a number of tell tale signs that it is not. FOr embargo reasons though it is not like I can post the evidence of that, but that "shimmering" mentioned in the ars technica piece is not a bug or something, it is just aliasing from really being lower resolution and not reconstructing (and then sharpening naturally increases aliasing on top of that).

The difference in resolve time mentioned there is the difference in TAA history buffer length - Decima engine use just the last frame, kinda like SMAA T2x. But it is not reconstructing in its TAA - so if you see a disoclussion (where an object is revealed suddenly) it will go from aliased to anti-aliased. But it will not go from aliased to higher resolution AND anti-aliased. DLSS uses multiple frames (i believe 4). So it goes from aliased to full anti-aliased AND higher resolution in a gradual manner, technically over 4 frames, but you should see immediate results that look anti-aliased and higher res after 1 frame has passed already.

DLSS internal resolution on quality mode is 1440p. CAS looks to be a 75% axis reduction in resolution when you tick the box (1620p) - then you choose whether you apply TAA or FXAA to this resolution reduction, and then an optional user defined amount of sharpening on top of that. I do not see the evidence of reconstruction here.

Last edited:

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Just noticed Sam has a fucking valve on the back of his head.
I thought it was something different that just looked like a valve until I zoomed in on it... nope, it's a fucking valve, all right.

I'm guessing it's a bonus cosmetic for the Steam version of the game. We already know there's a headcrab cosmetic.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Image sharpening is not reconstruction, and this is not the first game to use AMD's Contrast-Adaptive Sharpening.
I remember a lot of people complaining about how the hair looked in Resident Evil 3 until they realized that AMD's FidelityFX CAS was the reason it looked so bad.

Look at this example from the official site:
ZhzlM4e.png

CAS does nothing to address aliasing, it only adds sharpening.
(note: this is an animated PNG - not all browsers support these)

You have to keep in mind that several prominent outlets were originally saying that Radeon Image Sharpening was superior to DLSS, or that once NVIDIA added their own driver-level sharpening controls, DLSS was "dead".
A lot of sources are not very well informed on this sort of thing.

Deleted member 18161

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Let me just say - that I do not think that CAS in this title is doing reconstruction at all. There are a number of tell tale signs that it is not. FOr embargo reasons though it is not like I can post the evidence of that, but that "shimmering" mentioned in the ars technica piece is not a bug or something, it is just aliasing from really being lower resolution and not reconstructing (and then sharpening naturally increases aliasing on top of that).

The difference in resolve time mentioned there is the difference in TAA history buffer length - Decima engine use just the last frame, kinda like SMAA T2x. But it is not reconstructing in its TAA - so if you see a disoclussion (where an object is revealed suddenly) it will go from aliased to anti-aliased. But it will not go from aliased to higher resolution AND anti-aliased. DLSS uses multiple frames (i believe 4). So it goes from aliased to full anti-aliased AND higher resolution in a gradual manner, technically over 4 frames, but you should see immediate results that look anti-aliased and higher res after 1 frame has passed already.

DLSS internal resolution on quality mode is 1440p. CAS looks to be a 75% axis reduction in resolution when you tick the box (1620p) - then you choose whether you apply TAA or FXAA to this resolution reduction, and then an optional user defined amount of sharpening on top of that. I do not see the evidence of reconstruction here.

Very interesting. Thanks for the reply.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That arstech article has a photo with a caption of "We're not allowed to talk about the Valve sections yet"

So I guess maybe it's a bit more than just cosmetics? Maybe a new bunker, new resources to deal with to get them?

J75

Sep 29, 2018
When running at 4K, what's the internal resolution of DLSS performance mode? 1080p?

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
That arstech article has a photo with a caption of "We're not allowed to talk about the Valve sections yet"

So I guess maybe it's a bit more than just cosmetics? Maybe a new bunker, new resources to deal with to get them?
some of the items in death stranding also have functions or buffs

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I'd really love every game to support this tech, it will go a long way towards allowing even lower end cards to turn up the graphics options without tanking fps.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017

Guerrilla

Oct 28, 2017
So quick question regarding DLSS 2.0 it works at every res jump correct? so I could go 1440p > 4k DLSS?

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
My Ars article goes into it. This was focused less on "which is better" and more on what average PC users can expect, and AMD's platform-agnostic option is at the very least neck-and-neck with DLSS, if not seemingly superior—it delivers slightly more frames in identical scenarios while looking pretty much identical during standard gameplay, and *superior* during cut scenes. (Scroll down a ways in my article to see a major cut scene example.)
So I have to wonder if not having the Death Stranding release driver caused the issues with DLSS 2.0? Because doesn't there need to be a DLSS profile for each game downloaded to the user's PC to get it to render everything correctly?

Edit: From Nvidia's DLSS 2.0 article:
Once the network is trained, NGX delivers the AI model to your GeForce RTX PC or laptop via Game Ready Drivers and OTA updates. With Turing's Tensor Cores delivering up to 110 teraflops of dedicated AI horsepower, the DLSS network can be run in real-time simultaneously with an intensive 3D game. This simply wasn't possible before Turing and Tensor Cores.

So my guess is there's no AI model specifically for Death Stranding yet.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
So I have to wonder if not having the Death Stranding release driver caused the issues with DLSS 2.0? Because doesn't there need to be a DLSS profile for each game downloaded to the user's PC to get it to render everything correctly?

Nvidia was in touch with critics with recommendations about drivers, among other suggestions. They'll send me a special driver for pre-release software if that's necessary, which they didn't do for this one (while advertising the game's DLSS compatibility, to boot).

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Nvidia was in touch with critics with recommendations about drivers, among other suggestions. They'll send me a special driver for pre-release software if that's necessary, which they didn't do for this one (while advertising the game's DLSS compatibility, to boot).
It'll be interesting to see if the release driver does improve things then, you would think if it would they would have sent out a pre-release driver as you said but maybe it's not ready yet.

Lightjolly

Oct 30, 2019
Can this be combined with DSR? So I can supersample 4k on a 1080p screen and get the performance boost still?

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017

Wasn't one of the biggest selling points of 2.0 that it doesn't require game-specific Training anymore? I'm a little confused. Or is both an option for exclusive titles?

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Wasn't one of the biggest selling points of 2.0 that it doesn't require game-specific Training anymore? I'm a little confused. Or is both an option for exclusive titles?
Training isn't the same as having an AI model. Games still need to have the AI trained, but all games can use the same AI network for the training instead of needing to set up a new network for each game like DLSS 1.0.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Can this be combined with DSR? So I can supersample 4k on a 1080p screen and get the performance boost still?

Yes, it can be combined with DSR, but...

When you are playing at 1080p, you are rendering scenes internally at 1080p.
When you are using 2160p with DLSS, you are rendering internally at 1080p/1440p (depends on what the game uses, and you set).
So, using 4k DSR will just force the game to render internally at 1080p reconstruct --> to 2160p --> down sample back to 1080p. While this could result in better Image Quality, it will not magically give you better performance because the internal render is still at 1080p. In fact, there should be a slight cost due to the machine learning algorithms having to run through the tensor cores of your GPU first.

That's the whole magic behind DLSS. It allows you to gain performance by rendering at a lower resolution, while still producing a sharp and detailed immage without much noise. It's not perfect, but it is impressive.