• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
I assume these are 4KDLSS.

death-stranding-nvidia-geforce-rtx-dlss-2-0-exclusive-screenshot-001.jpg
Nice, I guess ultrawide support is in. 3440x1440 maxed for me with a 1080 Ti!

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
yeah i'll definitely consider it when i update my computer, cause it seems this doesn't work with a 980ti from what i read

I edited my post after doing some research (DLSS isn't totally free like I thought, but it's still very much worth it).

And yeah, a 980Ti won't do it. It specifically requires the tensor cores on RTX cards - I would recommend waiting a few months before upgrading though, as the Nvidia 30-series is coming and will likely be a big jump in performance and value. You'll probably be able to get a card that approaches 2080Ti performance for $499 - no promises, though.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
I edited my post after doing some research (DLSS isn't totally free like I thought, but it's still very much worth it).

And yeah, a 980Ti won't do it. It specifically requires the tensor cores on RTX cards - I would recommend waiting a few months before upgrading though, as the Nvidia 30-series is coming and will likely be a big jump in performance and value. You'll probably be able to get a card that approaches 2080Ti performance for $499 - no promises, though.

oh i know i'm definitely waiting for them, and i'm not too affraid about the price since it's supposed to last me the whole gen, we'll see when they announce the spec

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Not even that. They don't even have the same sort of artifacts carry out by checkerboard and CAS is far far cheaper in performance. Nothing a like period.
I mean mate, you can start arguing with me about this over semantics.
My point is DLSS competes against native resolution and can look better, FidelityFX and CBR don't.

Additionally we don't have much idea on how FidelityFX reconstructs to make absolute statements like "nothing like it period" just because it doesn't share some traits. By that merit the Temporal Injection method we see in Insomniac's games is "nothing like it" compared to CBR either, but they are closer to each other than they are to a technique like DLSS.

Winnie

Mar 12, 2020
If FidelityFX CAS, it's now on par with DLSS 2.0 (or at least close enough) i will be soo happy.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sharpening is not reconstruction though ZOONAMI - so the comparison to 85% res is not really sensible.

Sure, I'm just saying if I need a bit of a boost there is an option and naked eye in motion I can't tell the difference. DLSS is great and I hope it sees wider adoption, but I was just responding to poster asking if it will make sense to buy an AMD card. Perhaps they will come up with a similar solution, but overall we will have to wait and see. If AMD rdna2 cards are cheaper than nvidia and offer the same or better regular performance not taking into account dlss they may still be a good value, much like the 5700/XT cards are now. My sapphire pulse 5700xt boosts to 2100mhz stock and from everything I see it performs roughly on par with a 2080 in the newest titles. That's a good deal I'd say for $409. Like tbh i expect it to perform quite well at 1440p for several more years, but I will probably get an upgrade itch and sell while it's still worth something.

Last edited:

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
I mean mate, you can start arguing with me about this over semantics.
My point is DLSS competes against native resolution and can look better, FidelityFX and CBR don't.

Additionally we don't have much idea on how FidelityFX reconstructs to make absolute statements like "nothing like it period" just because it doesn't share some traits. By that merit the Temporal Injection method we see in Insomniac's games is "nothing like it" compared to CBR either, but they are closer to each other than they are to a technique like DLSS.
That because all of them are nothing a like. You might as well say bilinear filter is the same because it scales image. I am not arguing at all, they are CAS and CBR are nothing a like that is all.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
Nice, I guess ultrawide support is in. 3440x1440 maxed for me with a 1080 Ti!

My article's already been linked in here, which confirms that yes, 21:9 support is native. (You can either run in 16:9 or 21:9 ratios, not in other arbitrary ones.)

And to those asking: This is the most interesting battle between Nvidia and AMD's upsampling options yet, since I've never run into a game that offers both as a native menu option. And in my tests thus far, I've noticed that AMD's lead comes primarily in its *faster* upsampling. Move the mouse wildly from the ground back up to a mountain-filled landscape and review the capture footage, and DLSS 2.0 quite simply needs a fraction of a second longer to resolve it into a crisp image. In action, this disadvantage doesn't necessarily play out in a way that harms real gameplay; Death Stranding isn't about wildly whipping your viewpoint this way and that. But it's still noticeable.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
God I hope AMD steps up to the table with similar technology. DLSS is just too good to be monopolized by one company.

edit - color me ignorant because I had no idea AMD already had their own solution.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
DLSS is so freaking cool, unfortunately I can't make use of it yet with my 1070 but I will definitely have it on every game with my next rig. Gotta reach that 144fps any way possible!

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
God I hope AMD steps up to the table with similar technology. DLSS is just too good to be monopolized by one company.

edit - color me ignorant because I had no idea AMD already had their own solution.
Their solution is nowehre close to this and don't expect one in the way that DLSS 2.0 works. nvidia spent a lot of cash on R&D for AI which made this possible + the gpus have tensor cores on it.

BoredLemon

Nov 11, 2017
We know exactly how CAS works - it's open-source, after all.
Contrast Adaptive Sharpening is just a sharpening filter, like in any image editor. It doesn't reconstruct anything and meant to be used on top of TAA - to mitigate blur caused by reprojection inaccuracies.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
If AMD can't find a competing technology soon, is there even a point in buying AMD cards over Nvidia? The kind of performance benefit DLSS 2.0 gives in AAA games is just bonkers. Especially with the upcoming next-gen only games, most of which will probably support DLSS 2.0, it's really difficult to see AMD competing. And I say that as an owner of an AMD CPU and GPU.

Nvidia is so ahead in the deep learning space that it hurts. They have been the de facto leader in the area pretty much unchallenged (except for google's TPUs which are for internal use only) for a better half of the decade and AMD isn't even close to catching up.

ken_matthews

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My article's already been linked in here, which confirms that yes, 21:9 support is native. (You can either run in 16:9 or 21:9 ratios, not in other arbitrary ones.)

And to those asking: This is the most interesting battle between Nvidia and AMD's upsampling options yet, since I've never run into a game that offers both as a native menu option. And in my tests thus far, I've noticed that AMD's lead comes primarily in its *faster* upsampling. Move the mouse wildly from the ground back up to a mountain-filled landscape and review the capture footage, and DLSS 2.0 quite simply needs a fraction of a second longer to resolve it into a crisp image. In action, this disadvantage doesn't necessarily play out in a way that harms real gameplay; Death Stranding isn't about wildly whipping your viewpoint this way and that. But it's still noticeable.

So in your opinion, after comparing the two, is Nvidia's DLSS 2.0 matched (surpassed?) by AMD's FidelityFX?

SliChillax

Oct 30, 2017
Tirana, Albania
I had no idea AMD had a DLSS alternative. Their marketing is really bad. I hope next gen consoles will be using similar methods as I've always thought that native 4K is always a waste of power.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
I had no idea AMD had a DLSS alternative. Their marketing is really bad. I hope next gen consoles will be using similar methods as I've always thought that native 4K is always a waste of power.
It does not do the same thing...

So not an alternative, but a different thing entirely. For some reason AMD marketed it originally as something to be put up against DLSS 1.0 (which was already not a like for like technique or comparison point). It's real point of comparison is a user picking a resolution that is not the same as their monitor and just dumbly upscaling it, or even better, a user picking a % resolution lower than their monitor resolution in a game. So putting the res scaler to 75% for example and keeping the HUD and UI at the native resolution. CAS then adaptively sharpens pixels to increase contrast on top of TAA. It does not really increase resolution by reconstructing, but just increases image contrast.

From my experience CAS did not seem to be reconstructing much if at all - are you certain it is? It looked to me like a 75% res scale with TAA (which is the ingame variant) + sharpening and not a reconstruction scheme.

samred

Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
So in your opinion, after comparing the two, is Nvidia's DLSS 2.0 matched (surpassed?) by AMD's FidelityFX?

My Ars article goes into it. This was focused less on "which is better" and more on what average PC users can expect, and AMD's platform-agnostic option is at the very least neck-and-neck with DLSS, if not seemingly superior—it delivers slightly more frames in identical scenarios while looking pretty much identical during standard gameplay, and *superior* during cut scenes. (Scroll down a ways in my article to see a major cut scene example.)

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017
Nvidia is so ahead in the deep learning space that it hurts. They have been the de facto leader in the area pretty much unchallenged (except for google's TPUs which are for internal use only) for a better half of the decade and AMD isn't even close to catching up.

yeah, this is why I'm pretty sure AMD will never truly catch up

NVIDIA has diversified into so many different areas that they can pull tech from that I can't see AMD investing the same amount and getting close to the results NVIDIA will get

samred

Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
It does not do the same thing...

I'm stoked to see your coverage of this, especially since AMD has been silent on clarifying exactly what FidelityFX CAS does and does not do for Death Stranding. (Another reason why I'm always happy to see my first-of-the-month notice about my DF Pateron sub!)

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
I'm stoked to see your coverage of this, especially since AMD has been silent on clarifying exactly what FidelityFX CAS does and does not do for Death Stranding. (Another reason why I'm always happy to see my first-of-the-month notice about my DF Pateron sub!)
Oh! :D Thank you for subbing sam (really, thank you).

Yeah I am not sure why AMD are silent on it...

ken_matthews

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dictator, it's not a reconstruction technique at all, it's just a sharpening filter? If so, then it's pretty damn impressive given that it seems to provide better image quality and performance than DLSS 2.0 ( at least in this game according to samred). I'm very interested in seeing your video on this game.

samred

Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
The Ars article says otherwise. It might not work the same, but the result is the same (or even better in this case)

That's somewhat accurate. I only emphasize the apparent result to help PC users understand what they can expect from this port's appearance/performance, not the underlying tech. They're both capable of upsampling, but DLSS is employing a different kind of machine-learning model than FidelityFX CAS does. The last time we really saw a showdown between the two came from F1 2019, which Overclock3D has a great article about. Bear in mind, this looks at an older, less refined version of DLSS.

www.overclock3d.net

F1 2019 - Nvidia DLSS VS AMD FidelityFX - OC3D

Introduction Update – Codemasters has confirmed to us that Patch 1.07 for F1 2019 shipped with an incomplete integration of Nvidia’s DLSS technology, which explains the graphical issues which we have experienced within the game. F1 2019’s DLSS support was released prematurely, and Codemasters...

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
heck yea, can't wait for my third playthrough

... a year from now when i feel comfortable enough financially to cobble together a new gaming rig

Poison Jam

Nov 6, 2017
Would have liked to see options to increase draw-distance and enhanced water rendering. But DLSS should be dope!

Duncan

Oct 25, 2017
I just hope this has a 'yo you already played this, we get it" mode for this game because this one title where the 'good shit' happens like three hours in.

Because you start out as an absolute joke in the beginning in terms of skills and upgrades.

noomi

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
DLSS 2.0 seems like such great advance in graphics technology, I really hope to see more games utilizing this type of tech.