• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Beastie91

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Bay Area CA
Juvenile Edgy Wacky lol people mad because some is calling it game of the year come on era we gotta do better than this...

GTA V still charts as we speak it don't get more edgy or wacky than that game people we gotta Relaxxxxxxxxx.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Worth mentioning that the places linked to Hades shown so far (WW1, WW2 (TGA 2016 trailer) and Vietnam) were events of mass loss of human life. BTs are the souls of the dead 'stranded' in the world of the living for some reason. The BTs in the Release Date trailer drag Sam to a WW1 battlefield. The running theory is that once the BTs get a hold of someone, they drag 'em to their place of death in Hades (which would make sense that Sam is dragged into a typical WW1 trench considering a lot of people died in them.)

I have no idea if this is feasible or not, but imagine once you dragged into Hades, you have to make your way out of all these different human conflicts in history. WW1, WW2, Vietnam, The Civil War, The Napoleonic War etc.
That's a neat concept. Still not sure if the game is for me overall, but I'm curious.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I have no issue with people who look at this footage and think it's boring, dull, uninteresting, and absolutely everything they didn't want from the title. I feel the same about a lot of games that others feel the opposite so whatever.

I just think sometimes people need to take a deep breath, step back, and appreciate that the scope of interactive entertainment and creative expression is limitless in its vastness, and what positive experiences people gravitate to and draw from interactive works is going to sometimes differ widely. There's space in this medium for all types of games, and for some of us what has been shown of Death Stranding is inherently appealing. The wandering, the loneliness, the sense of space and scale, the otherworldliness of the BTs, the stealth-lite with simple combat and gadget use, the survivalist mechanics, and so on.

It doesn't necessarily have to be some groundbreaking, revolutionary, creative genius. It can be a completely serviceable set of game systems not regularly represented in the AAA interactive space, mixed with a unique premise, setting, and cast, and find an audience that's going to resonate with this vision. Sometimes footage that's dull to you is very appealing to others. I know folks are raving mad for The Last of Us 2, and I'm keep to play it myself, but I'm not going to sit here and pretend that the E3 2018 gameplay footage was for me nothing but paint by number stealth in pretty environments, even if it's looming Game of the Generation for others.
good post.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
lol fair enough. I hope people enjoy, I'm just disappointed I guess. I really loved PT, I really loved the first few trailers of Death Stranding that focused on the mysterical, ethereal aspects. (the beached whale, floating guys in the sky, the invisible enemies, the task force creeping through black soup.

And the more that is shown I am realizing that the game has turned into something entirely different. They showed a 50 minute gameplay video the other day and no part of the video was reminiscent of the initial vision to me.
You do realize that a big part of lovecraft stories are the mundanity and truly average protagonists right?
lol fair enough. I hope people enjoy, I'm just disappointed I guess. I really loved PT, I really loved the first few trailers of Death Stranding that focused on the mysterical, ethereal aspects. (the beached whale, floating guys in the sky, the invisible enemies, the task force creeping through black soup.

And the more that is shown I am realizing that the game has turned into something entirely different. They showed a 50 minute gameplay video the other day and no part of the video was reminiscent of the initial vision to me.
This honestly seems like the devs knew EXACTLY what the devs wanted the game to be.

zelig

Banned
Aug 29, 2019
This game is going to be legendary. The fact that it makes some people on this forum so upset is just hilarious at this point lol. I guess some people are just small-minded simpletons.

Us plebs too stoopid for game, Mr Connoisseur.

Rest assured, I'd shake my head the same if people had decided to rave about Astral Chain in the way DS-fans are doing.

Soprano

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The same people who weren't convinced from the first presentation actually watched another one so they can tell us again for another 10 pages they don't like it. That it's boring. And people who do are lying.

It's ok. The game is not for you. Move on.

Like i said before, i'm going to spend alot of time in that room. Wonder what other EE's are there to find.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Exploration with more interesting landscapes (ones that had a lot of environmental story telling details or hidden Easter eggs for example) that had more tension to exploring to show the level of depth and responsiveness of the exploration mechanics would be good to see.

Combat that showed off a variety of weapons and tools would be good to see.

Stealth with a lot of tools would be good to see.

Everything in the 50 minute demo just looked pretty basic in interaction. The second demo is about customization and was fine, of course, but disappointed by the TGS showing as a whole.
This is what I felt watching the long gameplay session, the ideas of the game seem interesting but the execution they have showed so far is lacking of anything remarkable. I'm sure the game will have countless details, some crazy plot elements and maybe 1 o 2 really well integrated mechanics, but the base gameplay loop lacks the appeal I expected from the game.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I have no issue with people who look at this footage and think it's boring, dull, uninteresting, and absolutely everything they didn't want from the title. I feel the same about a lot of games that others feel the opposite so whatever.

I just think sometimes people need to take a deep breath, step back, and appreciate that the scope of interactive entertainment and creative expression is limitless in its vastness, and what positive experiences people gravitate to and draw from interactive works is going to sometimes differ widely. There's space in this medium for all types of games, and for some of us what has been shown of Death Stranding is inherently appealing. The wandering, the loneliness, the sense of space and scale, the otherworldliness of the BTs, the stealth-lite with simple combat and gadget use, the survivalist mechanics, and so on.

It doesn't necessarily have to be some groundbreaking, revolutionary, creative genius. It can be a completely serviceable set of game systems not regularly represented in the AAA interactive space, mixed with a unique premise, setting, and cast, and find an audience that's going to resonate with this vision.

jpbonadio

Nov 8, 2017
Hades is the place you see Mads and his Skeleton crew in. From what little we've seen they seem to take place in various actual wars (WWI and Vietnam were two that people noticed). But no one knows what role it plays in the game. But it's obviously a significant one since that's where Mads character is.

I bet Hades is a very important part of the game. Just the variety of landscapes that we see so far from Hades is an indication of this. WWI, WWII, Vietnam ... why would them spend so much time and effort creating those locations if they were just a very limited part of the game?

Hades will probably feature a more traditional gameplay loop, with focus on combat and stealth.

For me, Hades could not even be in the game and this is already the game I'm more excited for. It's so refreshing to see a game like this in an industry crowded with the same type of games. It's like an island paradise in the middle of a huge blue ocean.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Hyperbolic statements and the like is a natural consequence to those hyped to see their favourite creator come out with a new game. It's the video game hype cycle in action. Pay no mind to it and move on.

Rest assured, I'd shake my head the same if people had decided to rave about Astral Chain in the way DS-fans are doing.
Why does it matter though? Why not just let people have their fun? This is no different from people getting excited for the next Nintendo Direct. It really isn't that deep.

Oct 25, 2017
The same people who weren't convinced from the first presentation actually watched another one so they can tell us again for another 10 pages they don't like it. That it's boring. And people who do are lying.

It's ok. The game is not for you. Move on.

Like i said before, i'm going to spend alot of time in that room. Wonder what other EE's are there to find.
Hey man I had to deal with that for days gone for 3 years straight at least death stranding just started around gamescom

Deleted member 12833

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Difference being that AC is actually released. I thought it was interesting that I saw your post below in the gaming controversy thread and DS is exactly the antithesis to your complaint lol

Big-budget games almost entirely lack real creativity and ambition and fail to make use of an environment that theoretically allows you to create ANYTHING.

Instead of recreating real cities, Ubisoft should spend big budget on creating Assassin's Creed: Laputa, where you explore a castle in the sky. Or make a world like in 'Made in Abyss'. Or explore a scenario like 'The promised Neverland'. Basically, spend big dollars on creating creative, bizarre worlds instead of these endless copies of our real world.

We only get a glimpse of this in cheap, mostly 2d indie-games :/

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017

I feel like this is gonna be a bloodborne situation where the amount of horror is just....totally unexpected and not advertised.

zelig

Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Why does it matter though? Why not just let people have their fun?

Because it's unfair when it materializes into something tangible (like goty awards). Have you never been (ever so slightly) upset when some bad movie won an Oscar? I enjoy watching the yearly Oscar show ... and I'm angry every year. 🙈

Oct 25, 2017
Can y'all stop arguing with the same 10 ppl and do y'all jobs....where's the damn gifs the lack of gifs in these gameplay threads been terrible

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So in his room he had three different types of rifle/weapon hanging up. Do we know what they are or what they do? I'm guessing like the shock trap gun he used in the previous demo, they each have a unique feature, because they certainly look totally different from one another.

1.21Gigawatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Munich
I don't think this game is going to be very divisive, apart from the usual divisiveness that comes with this being an exclusive. I think praise will be rather universal.
People like games that are out of the ordinary and question conventional design.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Ok, but let me just lay out my train of thought.

So far social media metrics wise Death Stranding has been tracking quite similar to Horizon Zero Dawn, in other words very strong, and HZD was a game that went on to sell over 10m.

Having said that, something like Death Stranding may not have the same appeal as HZD due to the lack of emphasis on action, but then again, perhaps Kojima's name being tied to it could compensate for that. In truth I just don't know.

Benji has stated that Death Stranding is tracking the strongest of any Kojima game.

Thus far this gen there's been a pretty strong correlation with view metrics and sales, especially with Sony exclusives. Generally, the higher the view metrics, the better an exclusive has ended up selling. Thing is, we obviously can't predict how well the game will or will not review, and that could impact sales too.

So based on everything, I'd guess this sells between 7m and 10m lifetime, but again, it does depend somewhat on critical reception.

Side note, Death Stranding is a AAA, not AA game.
Death stranding is firmly a AA title. What signs point to it being AAA? The fact that Sony is putting marketing muscle behind it? Other than that it's AA. Koji pro is a much smaller studio versus other studios that have released AAA games on the ps4 (naughty dog, sucker punch, insomniac, etc). The scope of death stranding is much smaller than those other games. Development time on death stranding has been less than Sony AAA games. And the fact that it's using the decima engine doesn't make it a AAA game either since there are plenty of non AAA games using frostbite.

So what exactly makes death stranding AAA?

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
A few thoughts:

1) I always enjoy reading posts by EatChildren

2) Imagine thinking because you saw something you didn't like that all the things you did like are magically deleted from the game lmao.

3) It's hilarious that people pretend to care so much about "But it will be decisive!!!!" And? Aren't many, many (many) games decisive?

4) I've long thought that ages should be attached to posts because....some responses sound quite pre-teenager-ish. Nothing wrong with being young, it would just add some "ahh...I see" to some of the posts here regarding how frustrated and upset some people are forcing themselves to be. (Half-joking)

5) People claim GOTY contender for quite literally every game they're interested in as someone else mentioned. The developers have created GOTY winning games before as has the publisher. Why would this be so outrageous a prediction simply because it doesn't align with your own personal feelings? That's...pretty hilarious.

6) The content of the footage was outlined by Kojima days prior. Imagine being pissed that you got what you were promised. Lmao.

I want to say I'll miss these pre-release threads but I'm sure the post-launch threads will bring an equal amount of entertainment although the mystique surrounding the unknown quantities will be gone.

Edit: lmfao I see we've once again reached the fruitful discussion of AA vs AAA. Lovely. I wouldn't take the bait - it never leads to meaningful discussion, just circular "it is" vs "it ain't" posts that shit up threads. Tweeting the devs and asking will yield better results.

Last edited:

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Death stranding is firmly a AA title. What signs point to it being AAA?
Hire expensive Hollywood actors doing full performance capture the game after getting scanned in for the game. Has some of the best realtime visuals ever in an open world title. Seemingly every mundane feature they wanted made it in. Animation quality is quite good especially since the protagonist seems to have a lot of contextual animation depending on how they're traversing teh environment. Like, the onus is on you to prove how this isn't a AAA title.

Koji pro is a much smaller studio versus other studios that have released AAA games on the ps4 (naughty dog, sucker punch, insomniac, etc). The scope of death stranding is much smaller than those other games. Development time on death stranding has been less than Sony AAA games.

Koji pro is a much smaller studio versus other studios that have released AAA games on the ps4 (naughty dog, sucker punch, insomniac, etc). The scope of death stranding is much smaller than those other games. Development time on death stranding has been less than Sony AAA games.
And the fact that it's using the decima engine doesn't make it a AAA game either since there are plenty of non AAA games using frostbite.
Literally none of these factors determine whether or not a title is AAA. I wish you people would realize that using an engine doesn't just guarantee this level of visual quality and art direction.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Death stranding is firmly a AA title. What signs point to it being AAA? The fact that Sony is putting marketing muscle behind it? Other than that it's AA. Koji pro is a much smaller studio versus other studios that have released AAA games on the ps4 (naughty dog, sucker punch, insomniac, etc). The scope of death stranding is much smaller than those other games. Development time on death stranding has been less than Sony AAA games. And the fact that it's using the decima engine doesn't make it a AAA game either since there are plenty of non AAA games using frostbite.

What?

The game will have been in development for 3 years by a team of roughly 100 devs, has a crap tonne of money and marketing behind it, including arguably the most expensive roster of actors ever included in a game along with top tier motion and performance capturing for basically everything, and it's also built on a high end engine with class leading visuals and a massive open world. How in the world is it not AAA?

Also, how is the scope of Death Stranding much smaller? It's arguably one of Sony's most unique and ambitious projects.

Last edited:

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
The people calling this juvenile have never played a Hideo Kojima game in their lives and are complaining about something that is practically Kojima's brand at this point. The amount of petty jealously on play in these threads is palpable, jesus christ. If you aren't interested in the game or don't like Kojima, ignore the thread and move on with your life instead of whining that the game isn't what YOU want it to be. It's fine to remain skeptical after everything that has been shown but no one owes you anything.

This can apply to almost everything on ERA.

People enter threads and complain all the time, that won't stop. But if its an opinion you don't agree with you don't have to respond.

Discourse around this game is going to be insufferable based on some of the threads I've been seeing and no one has even touched the game yet lol.

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
So in his room he had three different types of rifle/weapon hanging up. Do we know what they are or what they do? I'm guessing like the shock trap gun he used in the previous demo, they each have a unique feature, because they certainly look totally different from one another.

The top one looks like a submachine gun or something, the one in the middle is that BOLA gun that stuns people and BTs and the bottom one (yellow) we've seen it in past trailers, I guess it's more like a normal rifle. And there's space for two more guns in that wall, I think he doesn't want to spoil it.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
including arguably the most expensive roster of actors ever
Nah, Star Citizen's cast is insane.
BXNqtGz8zUZ4kEieocdgvn_HFURry5Thd35tmVBMTqo.jpg

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
So you're calling Remedy liars now?

Oh wow. I didn't know they considered it AAA. I was mostly going off what I've read here about control being smaller in scope and smaller budget, etc.

Okay. If the dev says it's AAA I'll listen. So ds can be AAA in that case too!

AAA is defined only by its budget (dev and marketing). AA games can have that AAA look without the production cost (i.e. A Plague's Tale, Hellblade).

Ok... sure.
Control is apparently AAA though. Shrug.

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami

This is a ridiculous post. Seriously? Do you have a hand book of the exact requirements for AA and AAA games?

Soprano

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hey man I had to deal with that for days gone for 3 years straight at least death stranding just started around gamescom
Days Gone hate was something else. I don't even go into threads for games i have no interest in.

Something about Sony first party games brings out the strangest behavior.

Difference being that AC is actually released. I thought it was interesting that I saw your post below in the gaming controversy thread and DS is exactly the antithesis to your complaint lol

People often complain about change and wanting something new and different, but in reality really don't.