• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Off topic:

Don't know about that. Between hardware supported Variable rate shading, dynamic resolution, much more efficient (and upgraded) polygon throughput and higher memory capacity and speed attached to SSD, on the terrain detail and ambiance side of things, I don't think we will that far off (esp. at 30fps). After all the following was created in real time in UE4 w/o RT:

Of course, despite my efforts, I have been unable to ascertain what rig this was rendered on.

Idk even in the video you shared the lighting is still a step behind imo. Other huge deal in the DS cgi video are the water/rain effects, which I definitely think are intangible in real time any time soon. I do agree with you on the terrain detail, with all the new tech showing up I believe next gen we'll see a big jump in quality in that field(no pun intended).

May 10, 2019
giphy.gif

I still love this scene from the early reveal trailer and the first time I saw it I thought, so this is what The Patriots have been up to since MGS. I know it's not but playing MGS for so long, it still sticks with me.

imapioneer

Oct 27, 2017
But there's no benefit of the doubt to be had when it comes to this game because it's the first in the series! MGS2 had the benefit of the doubt because people knew what to expect out of such a game because it was a sequel. What purpose does it serve to be unnecessarily obtuse about what there is to do in this game besides very rudimentary lifestyle missions? If there is actually some meat, then show it. Otherwise you do yourself a disservice. There's a difference between trying to pull out the rug from beneath the audience when it comes to narrative and lore (i.e., giving the impression you play as Snake the entire game in the original MGS2 trailers) versus showing all that there is to do in a video game. Preventing the latter is really stupid, if you ask me, so I am going to give him the benefit of the doubt and say that he's not hiding anything more in terms of game play. This is what you're getting.
Can't say I disagree with any of your points, I'm waiting for that launch trailer to hopefully show some new areas or something we haven't seen before. So far nothing shown has been exactly mind blowing, certainly not the gameplay. Curious to see the reviews for this game

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
the CG doesnt' look that different from the ingame footage we've seen, post production aside, mind you - apart from the grass.
I'm just happy this game exists.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The end of the trailer though, could it be????

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
What about the TGA 2017 trailer tho? That was an in-game cutscene running on a PS4 Pro I'm pretty sure.

This will probably be the first voidout that you're forced to make as part of the story in-order to understand how the mechanic works.

I'm gonna be so pissed if those 5 entities aren't anything special (both story and gameplay wise) and end up just being regular BTs.

From the moment I saw the first trailer for the game, those 5 entities reminded me of the Hand of God from Berserk:
main-qimg-24780fd4f3e416620f35e7776a581aae.png

Please don't be some regular BTs, please.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm almost 100% certain he's purposely hiding the games true self. Seriously what is this trailer even about? Delivering packages while avoiding enemies? My guess is he's gonna pull something similar to mgs2 and surprise us all.

Nah, it really is delivering packages while avoiding enemies.

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
I'm gonna be so pissed if those 5 entities aren't anything special (both story and gameplay wise) and end up just being regular BTs.

From the moment I saw the first trailer for the game, those 5 entities reminded me of the Hand of God from Berserk:
main-qimg-24780fd4f3e416620f35e7776a581aae.png

Please don't be some regular BTs, please.
Doesnt it make more sense that those are the homodemons or whatever?

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
The music in this game is something else.

I'm just down for some systemic open world cosmic horror weirdness. BRING IT.

Chrno

Oct 25, 2017
would it really have been that hard to just release this trailer from the beginning? It's the first coherent piece of media we have from DS and all under a minute.

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
5 other worldly entities floating in the air, seemingly controlling the supernatural stuff happening around Sam. Really felt like Hand of God to me at the time.
Yea they definitely have a God Hand* vibe to them but what I mean is that those are probably super important in some way just depends if its like bosses or just story stuff (maybe sequel stuff), so if they are not all boss fights they are all super important. Or maybe its some super abstract Kojima bullshit.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Yea they definitely have a God Hand* vibe to them but what I mean is that those are probably super important in some way just depends if its like bosses or just story stuff (maybe sequel stuff), so if they are not all boss fights they are all super important. Or maybe its some super abstract Kojima bullshit.
Yea, I just hope they are still in the game and don't end up being some regular BTs.

I don't say God Hand because then people might mistake it with the game lol

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
I'm almost 100% certain he's purposely hiding the games true self. Seriously what is this trailer even about? Delivering packages while avoiding enemies? My guess is he's gonna pull something similar to mgs2 and surprise us all.
I think you're in for a surprise, in the sense that there won't be a surprise.
Or at least I hope so, because I'm buying this thing to deliver packages while avoiding enemies and would be pissed if I've been sold solid snake oil.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Damn that was dope. Can't believe this is out next month, it still hasn't hit me yet.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I highly doubt this game will sell well at launch
But...why would you give yourself this L?

I'm almost 100% certain he's purposely hiding the games true self. Seriously what is this trailer even about? Delivering packages while avoiding enemies?
People seriously can't come to terms with the fact that this isn't a shootbang game....yes, it literally IS a game about delivering packages and avoiding threats as much as possible.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What did he say about Control? I hope Death Stranding does well :(
yep. and it failed to hit top 20 in what NPD called the worst August since the great recession.

Full disclosure. I like Benji. he once tweeted that the PS5 devkits were 13 tflops and even though he ended up deleting that tweet, its given me hope and a reason to live for!

;p

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Can't wait! I'm actually getting the Pro bundle for this one since it comes with a physical copy.

Kindekuma

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone got a hi-res still of the ending shot before the text pops up? Wanna make that a wallpaper but don't have access to a desktop right at the moment.

Simo

Oct 26, 2017
Michigan, USA
Really cool spot and again the soundtrack is on point!

Kinda weird they replaced Die Hardman with generic hologram guy despite it being dialog from the former character...

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Man it makes no sense at all considering next gen is around the corner but I'm half tempted to trade in my current PS4 pro for that special edition. Better make my mind up before it sells out I guess!

kiaaa

Oct 27, 2017
yep. and it failed to hit top 20 in what NPD called the worst August since the great recession.

Full disclosure. I like Benji. he once tweeted that the PS5 devkits were 13 tflops and even though he ended up deleting that tweet, its given me hope and a reason to live for!

;p

You need to read those tweets again. There's an enormous difference between doing well for a mid range title and Kojima's biggest launch.