• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
As I said in the review thread, great analysis of the technical aspects of the game, and I really like and relate to what waq wrote about how John feels about the game. Can't wait for the other parts :)

Deleted member 54292

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 27, 2019
Incredible small vegetation rendering. They really sell the thickness of the short grass and mossy fields. So cool looking.

TheExecutive

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was a hard pass on this game until this video but I might pick it up early next year for the visuals when its cheaper or when it is eventually on PS+ on the PS5.

deadmonkeyuk

Oct 27, 2017
Highlands, Scotland
Great video, DS is an amazing looking title. Do not have much interest in the game outside the visuals and sound design but the thought of what HZD2 will look like is mouth watering.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looks amazing. I was just thinking about Guerrilla's deal with Kojima... maybe they gave him the engine for free with the expectation that his next game would use it and they would get some licensing money from him? Either way, I can't wait to see how Decima scales up on PS5 for HZD2.
I'm thinking there's a contribution model, ie Kojipro help extend the engine with thier superior artists + Kojima's high standards for animation and detail, all of which will go into building a more robust and capable engine so future Guerilla games would then benefit.

Globule

Banned
May 9, 2018
Well, hard to deny the game's astonishing design and graphic technology. Everything comes together perfectly in that regard, wow... Great job from Kojima Productions and Guerilla Games.

MetalKhaos

Oct 31, 2017
I had
Which games specifically?

When you bring up 'PC' it's usually talking about superior hardware which is fair but the tech side is only half of what makes Death Stranding shine. It's the art direction combined with the tech that is key here. This is why it looks so impressive.

HDR is broken in Premiere right now - I think Rich can do them since he kept an old build around, though. I wasn't able to make it happen.

Also, YouTube's color grading is such that it would look wrong for users not using an HDR display.

I didn't see anything mentioned elsewhere yet, and can't wait the video until I'm home from work, but how was the implementation of HDR in the game? It's usually seemed hit/miss between games, so was curious on how it turned out in DS.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
I went ahead and pre-purchased the game, and then that "tar ocean" mechanic shown in the DF video cleared away any jitters. I'm positive this game will be loaded with "wow" moments, whether or not the story amounts to anything in the end.

Take me on one more wild ride, Hideo.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I did notice some low resolution environment textures as well as repeating textures/texture tiling in the distance. I wonder why DF didn't mention any of that, or maybe they are going to in other parts?
It also would have been great if they showcased the snow effects when they mentioned them in the video. I guess that footage was outside of the footage they were allowed to share today?

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
I did notice some low resolution environment textures as well as repeating textures/texture tiling in the distance. I wonder why DF didn't mention any of that, or maybe they are going to in other parts?
It also would have been great if they showcased the snow effects when they mentioned them in the video. I guess that footage was outside of the footage they were allowed to share today?

yeah noticed that too, but I think that is a fairly minor issue here. The level of geometry on the terrain is pretty much top tier. I think it is a bigger deal that there is such a good poly budget for terrain geometry.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I was gonna get this on my base PS4, but I can't imagine that now when I can just wait half a year and play it on my 2070 instead. Game looks gorgeous.

Moves

Oct 27, 2017
Kinda weird, but walking slowly through large, beautiful, desolate, and lonely environments is the selling point for me on this game.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
i noticed too, both in some rocks or in some of sam's equipment in his suit when the video zoom on him.
tbh honest detroit and some other top tier game looks on par in term of polygonal models, faces are on par or slightly better in DS tho, especially on sam, cliff and the black masked guy chara.
still a gorgeous game overall.

Last edited:

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
This game looks freaking gorgeous. Pretty damn impressive.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
I think it's almost a 100% given.

I doubt there will be much extra work done beyond the usual PC additions, so don't think that will warrant an upgrade given that it will already be playable on PS5 anyway. Well actually aside from the obvious frame rate improvement. But sure they could patch in some of that for PS5?

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
Man the game has really photorealistic environments. the issue is Sam seems like pasted on environment not part of it.

Also is the environment are interactive or static like gears 5

master15

Nov 28, 2017
Dark1x another, detailed and amazing analysis. What excited me most was a couple of references to MGS 2, and how this game takes similar giant leaps in presentation and sense of unknown as the former title did. After I complete Shenmue 3 I will definitely pick this up.

tr1b0re

Oct 17, 2018
Trinidad and Tobago
The moss in this game is the best I've seen

Now there's a string of words I've never put together before
Man the game has really photorealistic environments. the issue is Sam seems like pasted on environment not part of it.

Also is the environment are interactive or static like gears 5
Depends on what you mean by that. Grass and water interact with player movement, and when larger enemies appear the entire map gets dynamically flooded, with structures appearing and disappearing under the waves, all with some level of fluid simulation going on, so I'd say it's pretty interactive

Sams88

Oct 9, 2019
It looks astounding.

The game, this engine, on PS5 is going to be amazing. Also a shoutout for the soundtrack.