• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Not very. Only from first three chapters - mostly lots of scenery. No character reveals or anything unexpected. I kept it light there.

- Btw, in one of SIGGRAPH talks Kojima Productions tech artists talked about the height fog, some kind of dynamic volumetric fog that snaps up the whole scene gradually and covers it. How is it effective in the game?

- Many doubted the dynamic fluid physics of the game but we saw in TSG gameplay that that black goo is physically interactive and floods the whole building and scene.

- I talked to Guerilla after the release of Horizon and why there are no refelctions and foliage interactions in Horizon and they said they need to chnage the fundamental system in the engine to enable them, From what i saw in DS, foliage is fully interactive and there are reflections on water and eveyrhwere in DS. How much Kojima productions evolved the engine after Horizon?

- Kojima always talked about 4D time elemnet in his games and that he wanted time to affect things like tress growing in the game and gettign older and dying then sprouting seeds to give bith to new tress: he created an entire element called timefall to cause such time reactions we saw plants growing, withering and dying in real time, this affects people, cargo metals that get corroded etc... How far this feature is advanced? Does it affect only those elemnts or there are more?

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
It looks absolutely insane. Can't wait for the next Guerrilla game...
I'm skipping this game for now though. It seems too time consuming and i have very little of it. I do think it's a pretty great concept though.

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
Very nice video. The environments and the distances impress me the most. In particular the micro details up close with minimal pop in. Very nice to see the improvements made to fluids as well which was something I found quite disappointing in Horizon. Particular that section shown with the down river which actually looks pretty realistic. There are times where footage looks like one of those pre-rendered futuristic showcases of tech which is amazing.

Cyberia

Nov 8, 2017

Visual Arts Services Group.

The Visual Arts Services Group is a division of SCEA's Product Development Services Group. VASG is a full-production studio located in San Diego that specializes in Animation, Motion Capture, Cinematics, Art and Scanning. We are currently looking for Blendshape Artists to come aboard and work in conjunction with our riggers, the Animation Supervisor and the Art Director to bring highly-realistic faces to life for both cinematic and in-game sequences. The successful candidate will be working with all of the triple A studios like Naughty Dog, Santa Monica Studio (God of War Franchise), Guerrilla and many more!

Partners also include third party devs like Respawn, DICE and Crystal Dynamics.

Amiablepercy

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
California
Which games specifically?

When you bring up 'PC' it's usually talking about superior hardware which is fair but the tech side is only half of what makes Death Stranding shine. It's the art direction combined with the tech that is key here. This is why it looks so impressive.

HDR is broken in Premiere right now - I think Rich can do them since he kept an old build around, though. I wasn't able to make it happen.

Also, YouTube's color grading is such that it would look wrong for users not using an HDR display.

I think it looks beautiful and can't wait to play but best looking game ever was being thrown around.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Very nice video. The environments and the distances impress me the most. In particular the micro details up close with minimal pop in. Very nice to see the improvements made to fluids as well which was something I found quite disappointing in Horizon. Particular that section shown with the down river which actually looks pretty realistic. There are times where footage looks like one of those pre-rendered futuristic showcases of tech which is amazing.

Read my post bove. I think KP upgraded the engine and added more fundamental systems to the engine that guerilla couldn't add in time before Horizon's release.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
I think it looks beautiful and can't wait to play but best looking game ever was being thrown around.

Nothing wrong with that, as it is just an opinion. I have played a lot of the best looking games this gen, and think this easily has a shout in that direction. I come from a place where the environments have a lot in common with what is shown here, and this is easily the best representation of said environments I have seen. Even the lighting and use of mist is a pretty darn good representation. I don't think it is a controversial opinion, but of course in now way definitive, nor can it ever be.

desu

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the video Dark1x.

I am not sure if the gameplay loop is for me, but the video itself has sold me more on the game than anything else I've seen so far.

This will look even more insane on PC.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
Looks astonishing, the tech and the world. Amazing to see how far have developers gone to reach their vision. I don't know if i will enjoy the game, seems a strange one, but just being in that world, so detailed, i think it is at least worth a try

Lokimaster

Alt Account
Banned
May 12, 2019
Wow this game looks amazing! I can't believe it looks better than horizon zero dawn!

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
This engine keeps evolving these two studios are amazing seeing what they have done together in both of their latest games.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Just a note - there was a 20 minute cap on videos which is why it's missing stuff like base PS4 and more in-depth performance testing. I wanted to focus on it's beauty above all else. That'll be my next vid and will hit just at launch.

Definitely in the top 5 visuals of the generation for me.

Thanks John. A seal approval directly from you saves me from the spoilers in the vid. That said I'll definitely download the source file for consumption at a later date.

Koralsky

Oct 28, 2017
Wait so everything from this video is from the first 3 chapters?

Yup, there are huge restrictions on what you can show in video form (written too). I finished the game a couple of days ago and I am also a game developer (scripting, game design, lighting artist, sound designer, etc.) - from my point of view this is the most polished AAA open-world product in "day one form". It is amazing how fewer are the bugs in the game and how polished everything feels. Controlling Sam is a dream - it feels like old-school arcade SEGA/Treasure game in 3D.

In addition, as John said, not everything is tech stuff. Most of the big modern engines are very similar of what you can achieve with them. The artists are playing huge roles when it comes to the overall visual styles and asset details.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
Yup, there are huge restrictions on what you can show in video form (written too). I finished the game a couple of days ago and I am also a game developer (scripting, game design, lighting artist, sound designer, etc.) - from my point of view this is the most polished AAA open-world product in "day one form". It is amazing how fewer are the bugs in the game and how polished everything feels. Controlling Sam is a dream - it feels like old-school arcade SEGA/Treasure game in 3D.

In addition, as John said, not everything is tech stuff. Most of the big modern engines are very similar of what you can achieve with them. The artists are playing huge roles when it comes to the overall visual styles and asset details.
Thank you. I am so hyped by your words

XboxCowdry

alt account
Banned
Sep 1, 2019
Possibly so, yes. They're remarkable.

The only thing that comes close in recent memory is DMC5 which is also superb in this area but I think DS has the edge.

I find the character models in RE 7, Halo V (cut scenes) Detroit Too Human also to be superb and for Detroit to have the edge

May 24, 2019
Sorry if this is rude, but I've always wondered why John pronounces 'volumetric' (vol-oom) different than the way he pronounces 'volume' (vol-youm).
Are you conscious of it Dark1x ?

e: I hope we see a detailed breakdown of the rendering of Monster Energy cans next video :)

Last edited:
May 18, 2018
Is that a first person view available @ 12.29 - 12.40?

I've found the character looks a bit too far away sometimes in third person in this game so having an optional first person would convince me to go in day 1.

Any confirmations?

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Is that a first person view available @ 12.29 - 12.40?

I've found the character looks a bit too far away sometimes in third person in this game so having an optional first person would convince me to go in day 1.

Any confirmations?
You can walk around in first-person by holding L1 but that's it.

XboxCowdry

alt account
Banned
Sep 1, 2019
Yeah detroit has great character models across the board really. I do think they animate better here, and look more natural. Hair is also rendered better.

Maybe. I know it sounds incredible sad but Detroid marks the first time I've ever sort of been attracted to a computer game model/character. I find the character of North (played by Minka Kelly) to be quite attractive LOL

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe. I know it sounds incredible sad but Detroid marks the first time I've ever sort of been attracted to a computer game model/character. I find the character of North (played by Minka Kelly) to be quite attractive LOL

Then you have a bias and can't be impartial!

But seriously that's the least saddest admission ever, especially if you compare to someone who grew up as a teenager in the 90's with Lara Croft and found her attractive.

XboxCowdry

alt account
Banned
Sep 1, 2019
Then you have a bias and can't be impartial!

But seriously that's the least saddest admission ever, especially if you compare to someone who grew up as a teenager in the 90's with Lara Croft and found her attractive.
I've been gaming since my ZX Spectrum 128+ in 1985 and I loved the TR games but never found Lara to be remotely attractive because she never looked real (even in the intro's) Too Human was the 1st time I ever started to feel attracted to a computer game character.

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
Just a note - there was a 20 minute cap on videos which is why it's missing stuff like base PS4 and more in-depth performance testing. I wanted to focus on it's beauty above all else. That'll be my next vid and will hit just at launch.

Definitely in the top 5 visuals of the generation for me.

We can't get your base ps4 footage until launch? Oh man, that sucks because right now it's a factor on buying or not. Can you at least, please, write down some impressions/stats about it? If there's already an article about it I'll be happy to check it out!

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
We can't get your base ps4 footage until launch? Oh man, that sucks because right now it's a factor on buying or not. Can you at least, please, write down some impressions/stats about it? If there's already an article about it I'll be happy to check it out!
It's solid on base! I can say that much.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Always find real time landscape deformation interesting to see in games. Control had it as well.

We've come a long way from Legacy of Kain.

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
It's solid on base! I can say that much.

Cool, thank you. I've seen the full video now and it's truly incredible, even on a 1080p set on YouTube! Without hdr! I can understand how you wanted to do this video this way. If anything, it only sells me on waiting to play this when I have a 4kHDR set plus a pro or ps5 (or capable pc).

After seeing this and playing the last week on an XboxX for the first time, I feel supersampling is more and more relevant and now I'm worried not about performance (thanks to your post) but about image quality indeed. There's just no way base ps4 looks that crisp. The ludens keychain thingy hanging from the BB pod in that resting scene and the grass and the far away detail can't possibly be comparable I guess. If that's more or less high quality in base ps4 I may keep my preorder but otherwise it may be doing a disservice to a game kinda more based on these details than on pure gameplay.