• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
Jesus Christ, this game looks absolutely insane. Guerrilla have made one heck of an engine.

Why the vid was short, and missing some aspects

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Just a note - there was a 20 minute cap on videos which is why it's missing stuff like base PS4 and more in-depth performance testing. I wanted to focus on it's beauty above all else. That'll be my next vid and will hit just at launch.

Definitely in the top 5 visuals of the generation for me.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Just a note - there was a 20 minute cap on videos which is why it's missing stuff like base PS4 and more in-depth performance testing. I wanted to focus on it's beauty above all else. That'll be my next vid and will hit just at launch.

Where did that cap come from?

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit, this game is beautiful, I mean I was expecting it to be top tier but certainly it looks like the best looking game there js

Oct 25, 2017
Underground
Noice. Hyped for PS5 Decima games since there will be even more improvements to the engine with the next game from Guerilla. PC version of DS should be an early look at what to expect.

OP
OP
Shy

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Stunning. It's going to make my Pro howl like a vacuum cleaner isn't it?
49fLA2V.gif
😜

FFObsessed

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Some of the gameplay footage looks pre-rendered. Crazy.

PS5 is gonna blow me away. Apart from Ubisofts shitty cross gen games.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Wonder how this is going to make my PS4 sound. I usually play games that aren't really taxing. My friend has a Pro and was playing the new CoD the other day; it sounded like a jet engine.

LazerRanger

Oct 28, 2017
Really enjoyed this video, could tell a lot of hard work and effort went into it, thank you DF Team!
I'm really fascinated by the game and am happy Kojima got the resources to make such a gamble.
I'm looking forward to giving it the time and patience to fully appreciate and enjoy it for what it is.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017

Oh damn. Looking forward to the visual feast.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Thanks for this John, excellent video! To me, this takes the cake. It looks incredible.

That is hyperbole. Most games on PC modded a bit look just as good or better. Still looks great though.

Not all. Which games do you mean? The geometric rendering of the terrian here is better than any game I have seen, PC or otherwise. Certainly better in that regard than say RDR2, which has pretty blocky scenary at the macro level, although they do well in the way they organise and populate the scenary to mitigate that element.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
That is hyperbole. Most games on PC modded a bit look just as good or better. Still looks great though.
Which games specifically?

When you bring up 'PC' it's usually talking about superior hardware which is fair but the tech side is only half of what makes Death Stranding shine. It's the art direction combined with the tech that is key here. This is why it looks so impressive.

Doesn't seem like there's a photomode. :(

Was also really hoping this video would be in HDR.
HDR is broken in Premiere right now - I think Rich can do them since he kept an old build around, though. I wasn't able to make it happen.

Also, YouTube's color grading is such that it would look wrong for users not using an HDR display.

Deleted member 17952

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks Dark1x, you're doing great work out there!

Interesting how Kojima has actually made a gameplay out of the traversal/walking in itself, whereas normally it was just a means of going from point A to B and was largely a passive experience.

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Great work John (and thank you Manfred for quoting me!)

This game is a technical masterclass. Decima is a beast of an engine, can't wait to see how it scales up to next gen (and PC as well next year!)

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Thanks Dark1x, you're doing great work out there!

Interesting how Kojima has actually made a gameplay out of the traversal/walking in itself, whereas normally it was just a means of going from point A to B and was largely a passive experience.

Yeah interesting to see how it plays out. I mean I love hiking in real life, but it has never been interesting in games for a variety of reasons.

Tedmilk

Avenger
Nov 13, 2017
Looks amazing. I was just thinking about Guerrilla's deal with Kojima... maybe they gave him the engine for free with the expectation that his next game would use it and they would get some licensing money from him? Either way, I can't wait to see how Decima scales up on PS5 for HZD2.

Wouwie

Oct 27, 2017
Not my type of game but visually, it looks amazing and not only technically, but also "art direction" wise. One of those games that i would probably enjoy watching someone else play just to immerse myself in the world and atmosphere.

morrigan8bit

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jul 1, 2019
PS5 is gonna blow me away. Apart from Ubisofts shitty cross gen games.

As we are discussing engine tech time I disagree.

There is absolutely no reason to believe titles such as WatchDogs and the new Creed will not deliver pretty pixels next gen - Odyssey looks fantastic on an X @4k.

Maybe check out some DF videos released this gen.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017

Which games specifically?

When you bring up 'PC' it's usually talking about superior hardware which is fair but the tech side is only half of what makes Death Stranding shine. It's the art direction combined with the tech that is key here. This is why it looks so impressive.

HDR is broken in Premiere right now - I think Rich can do them since he kept an old build around, though. I wasn't able to make it happen.

Also, YouTube's color grading is such that it would look wrong for users not using an HDR display.

I am sure you can confirm this but Cliff, Fragile, Amélie and Die-Hard Man are the best character models in any released games to date and I am sure some next-gen games will struggle to reach their quality, especially Cliff.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I am sure you can confirm this but Cliff, Fragile, Amélie and Die-Hard Man are the best character models in any released games to date and I am sure some next-gen games will struggle to reach their quality, especially Cliff.
Possibly so, yes. They're remarkable.

The only thing that comes close in recent memory is DMC5 which is also superb in this area but I think DS has the edge.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've been wondering about what Kojima has been upto with Decima for a while now. Will watch later.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Possibly so, yes. They're remarkable.

The only thing that comes close in recent memory is DMC5 which is also superb in this area but I think DS has the edge.

Yes especially that DS models are ingame ones (you can control the camera in cutscenes which are ingame, except maybe the the intro one) while there is a difference between pre-render then cutscene then ingame models in DMC5 which is confirmed.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
The large scale real-time changes to the play-scape with dynamic flooding and such looks immense. Very impressive.
The individual rocks, moss and droplets of water everywhere is very beautiful to look at.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London

In your top 5? That's some high praise.

I'm so excited to play this come release!

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
Seeing how impressive this is makes me conflicted on if I want to play this on PC or if I want to jump right in on PS4 Pro. Just looking at the video this game looks perfect for ultrawide displays and 60+ fps would be gravy on top.