• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Final predictions for Death Stranding?

• 95-99 (Same as MGS2)

Votes: 101 6.4%
  • 90-94 (Same as MGS, MGS3, MGS4, MGSV)

Votes: 487 30.7%
  • 85-89 (Same as MGS: PW)

Votes: 512 32.3%
  • 80-84

Votes: 279 17.6%
  • 75-79

Votes: 135 8.5%
  • <75

Votes: 73 4.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Good question. I understand that the patch day 1 will not allow the use of previous saved games. So maybe those structures are lost. But I don't think there is a general reset

Wrong way round. The patch is live now, it doesn't allow saved games on *this* patch to be used on previous versions.

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
I played MGS5 for nearly that long, building my base and fultoning the best soldiers. If Death Stranding has the same post-story structure then I could definitely see someone putting that much time in.

I think the major issue with the idea they put 200 hours in is how long they'd have had code vs when the review came out.

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
EDGE will review it next month if they finish the game, and it sounds like they will after reading their preview. Should be interesting.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
daily star for example. their written reviews are barely above 3rd grade writing level and their scores are... questionable, to say the least. but they're still on metacritic.

How are their scores questionable and what is wrong with the writing?

Their Death Stranding review is really well written and surprisingly in-depth, covering a lot of the reasons why some enjoy even the more mundane elements of the game. I might dislike the outlet from a news perspective (as I do all Tabloids), but their Death Stranding review at least is well done.

Here are some snippets from the review. This to you constitutes 8-9 year old writing quality?

"A perfectly monotonous piano line comes in as the gunfire fades away, and a soul-stirring female vocal drowns out the noise in my frantic mind as I putter towards the objective."

"Forced by exhaustion to sit down, I massaged my shoulders and changed my shoes, and as I looked at my chest, comforting my BB's cries, a sincere wave of emotion washed over me, leading to an atomic lump in my throat."

"It thrives in the great in-between and deeply understands the beauty in overcoming adversity, pulling that emotional thread out of its spool and weaving it around a meticulously crafted world that somehow balances oppression and horror with a wistful melancholy."

"By zeroing in on the act of traversal (each of Sam's limbs is tied to a DualShock trigger you can pull to make him steady) Kojima has applied his knack for overwhelming detail and turned the most banal part of modern open-world games into a refreshing revelation."

"There's no negative interaction in Death Stranding, and even within the scope of the limited pool of press playing the game right now, it has enabled some fascinating empathetic behaviour."

"I've become a pathfinder, figuring out new routes to help other players and building bridges to counteract the trauma I've felt when falling down the environment's many chasms."

"Watching the procession of gooey spirits grip your limbs and pull you down into their unholy communal ectoplasm is seriously frightening, made worse by the yelps of your chest-bound infant."

"Death Stranding has a welcome lightheartedness to it then, and as I chugged Monster Energy from my canteen and learned harmonica to comfort my BB, I recalled how The Phantom Pain also managed to balance an affecting campaign and a variety of difficult themes with some genuine humour and silliness, creating a more rounded study of the human experience.

Let me get one thing straight though: Death Stranding is no stranger to thematic difficulty and pulls no punches with its politics."

"Balancing hopelessness with hope in a way that I truly wasn't expecting, a cathartic and welcome feeling in our divided and troubled times, where there are no easy answers to our problems.

"Weirdly, I found it affected me in the same vein as Tetris Effect's Journey Mode, a story with a lot of similar ground about how the human spirit will always persist, complemented by audio-visual synaesthesia."

"Norman Reedus' stoic, emotionally-stunted play of Sam complements Troy Bakers' heel turn as the mischievous nihilist Higgs, whose tale of reckless philosophic antagonism is inherently woven into the story of Lea Seydoux's Fragile, herself responsible for some of Death Stranding's most powerful scenes."

Kojima's poetic affinity for set piece-based linear storytelling shining through and permeating this impeccable open world, with playful echoes of his previous work on the mainline Metal Gear Solid games on display."

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
UK
How are their scores questionable and what is wrong with the writing?

Their Death Stranding review is really well written and surprisingly in-depth, covering a lot of the reasons why some enjoy even the more mundane elements of the game. I might dislike the outlet from a news perspective (as I do all Tabloids), but their Death Stranding review at least is well done.

Here are some snippets from the review. This to you constitutes 8-9 year old writing quality?

"A perfectly monotonous piano line comes in as the gunfire fades away, and a soul-stirring female vocal drowns out the noise in my frantic mind as I putter towards the objective."

"Forced by exhaustion to sit down, I massaged my shoulders and changed my shoes, and as I looked at my chest, comforting my BB's cries, a sincere wave of emotion washed over me, leading to an atomic lump in my throat."

"It thrives in the great in-between and deeply understands the beauty in overcoming adversity, pulling that emotional thread out of its spool and weaving it around a meticulously crafted world that somehow balances oppression and horror with a wistful melancholy."

"By zeroing in on the act of traversal (each of Sam's limbs is tied to a DualShock trigger you can pull to make him steady) Kojima has applied his knack for overwhelming detail and turned the most banal part of modern open-world games into a refreshing revelation."

"There's no negative interaction in Death Stranding, and even within the scope of the limited pool of press playing the game right now, it has enabled some fascinating empathetic behaviour."

"I've become a pathfinder, figuring out new routes to help other players and building bridges to counteract the trauma I've felt when falling down the environment's many chasms."

"Watching the procession of gooey spirits grip your limbs and pull you down into their unholy communal ectoplasm is seriously frightening, made worse by the yelps of your chest-bound infant."

"Death Stranding has a welcome lightheartedness to it then, and as I chugged Monster Energy from my canteen and learned harmonica to comfort my BB, I recalled how The Phantom Pain also managed to balance an affecting campaign and a variety of difficult themes with some genuine humour and silliness, creating a more rounded study of the human experience.

Let me get one thing straight though: Death Stranding is no stranger to thematic difficulty and pulls no punches with its politics."

"Balancing hopelessness with hope in a way that I truly wasn't expecting, a cathartic and welcome feeling in our divided and troubled times, where there are no easy answers to our problems.

"Weirdly, I found it affected me in the same vein as Tetris Effect's Journey Mode, a story with a lot of similar ground about how the human spirit will always persist, complemented by audio-visual synaesthesia."

"Norman Reedus' stoic, emotionally-stunted play of Sam complements Troy Bakers' heel turn as the mischievous nihilist Higgs, whose tale of reckless philosophic antagonism is inherently woven into the story of Lea Seydoux's Fragile, herself responsible for some of Death Stranding's most powerful scenes."

Kojima's poetic affinity for set piece-based linear storytelling shining through and permeating this impeccable open world, with playful echoes of his previous work on the mainline Metal Gear Solid games on display."

As somebody who's seen quite a few great Pathologic reviews/deep dive into how the game utilises monotonous mechanics to tie together a story told through gameplay this kind of reads like a parody of what Kojima's biggest fan would write.

Pascal

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Parts Unknown

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Bit immature that he's changed his Twitter name to Hideo Kojima's Death Comedy Strand. I guess they're all really relishing in their negativity surrounding the game.

In any case, it's not a bad review, though I do think Alex is trying to find reasons to justify his negatives beyond that he simply found the game boring. For example, with respect to narrative messaging, it doesn't really matter that the theme of connecting people is the same at the beginning of the game as it is at the end, it's the events that unfold, along with the character experiences, dialogue, emotions etc that associate with the journey that can make the impact.

I also think that if as the author wishes, the game leaned harder into its monotonous or arduous elements and rid itself of the action segments, it would be far more boring and have less diversity in both pacing and gameplay.

Deleted member 45460

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 27, 2018
Bit immature that he's changed his Twitter name to Hideo Kojima's Death Comedy Strand. I guess they're all really relishing in their negativity surrounding the game.

In any case, it's not a bad review, though I do think Alex is trying to find reasons to justify his negatives beyond that he simply found the game boring. For example, with respect to narrative messaging, it doesn't really matter that the theme of connecting people is the same at the beginning of the game as it is at the end, it's the events that unfold, along with the character experiences, dialogue, emotions etc that associate with the journey that can make the impact.

I also think that if as the author wishes, the game leaned harder into its monotonous or arduous elements and rid itself of the action segments, it would be far more boring and have less diversity in both pacing and gameplay.
It's not immature, it's taking the name of the game and invoking the classic def comedy jam. Come on man

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You're vastly overthinking this. It's just a silly pun.

Except I don't think I am. I've listened to the Beatcast, saw that screengrab where they compare the game to ass. Some of the antics over at GB go beyond simply disliking something to verging on seemingly enjoying actively mocking or insulting it. It is what it is.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Except I don't think I am. I've listened to the Beatcast, saw that screengrab where they compare the game to ass. Some of the antics over at GB go beyond simply disliking something to seemingly enjoying actively mocking or insulting it. It is what it is.
Alex always does punny stuff with his username on Twitter. You're overthinking it.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Except I don't think I am. I've listened to the Beatcast, saw that screengrab where they compare the game to ass. Some of the antics over at GB go beyond simply disliking something to seemingly enjoying actively mocking or insulting it. It is what it is.
You're turning a gag somebody made during a round of Quiplash into a treatice on the entire site's ability to do their job.

I do in fact think you're overthinking it.

Oct 25, 2017
Except I don't think I am. I've listened to the Beatcast, saw that screengrab where they compare the game to ass. Some of the antics over at GB go beyond simply disliking something to verging on seemingly enjoying actively mocking or insulting it. It is what it is.

You are over thinking Alex's twitter names. He does this all the time with them.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This thread keeps delivering.

On the other side of biased reviewer we have, reviewer wanted to dislike the game!

Wintermute

Oct 27, 2017

why are you doing this?

am i on the beach?

is this the afterlife?

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta

It's going to be really interesting when you finally get to actually play the game.

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
As multiple people have already said, I'm pretty sure you are. Alex makes pun names like this on his Twitter *all the time.* it's not an insult to the game, it's just a simple, silly joke.

Casa

Oct 25, 2017

Gotta say, the way you vehemently defend every Sony first party title in every one of these threads is super weird. It's like it's extremely personal for you when anyone doesn't like them as much as you do.

Take it easy, dude.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
Alex does goofy Twitter pun name changes all the time

Consequence

Oct 27, 2017
I've read this post. Some of the touchiness in it goes beyond simply liking something that hasn't been played yet to verging on being overly invested in something they like preview coverage of. It is what it is.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
" I think this game is boring and the story isn't good at all"

Okay but why don't you like the game ?

May 17, 2018
Surely no one expected anyone but Brad to like Death Stranding. The most shocking thing about the Giant Bomb review is that they even bothered to write a review.

Bish_Bosch

Apr 30, 2018

There's plenty of media that isn't entertaining and even boring but is still good on other merits. Like I am not going to say idk Kiarostami's 23 Frames or a installation film is bad on the merits of it being a dry experience. I'm more saying the need of entertainment to be good is becoming increasingly overemphasized in discussing media.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The depths people are going to defend this game by saying that boring things have value is.....

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This thread keeps delivering.

On the other side of biased reviewer we have, reviewer wanted to dislike the game!

I never said he wanted to dislike the game or that they were biased, in fact I think they've not only explained why they dislike the game in a pretty in depth manner, but I also think I am myself likely to dislike DS based on everything I've read.

My point was merely that GB have been reveling in their negativity around the game in a mocking or excessive way, be it calling it utter crap, comparing it to literall ass, having the mocking pun titles etc.

Bish_Bosch

Apr 30, 2018
Boring but worthwhile? I need some examples of said media that you define as boring and yet still worthwhile.

Some quick examples most films by Ken Loach, Eros Plus Massacre, latter period Kiarostami, Michael Snow films. I mean I get other things out of them but there are definite moments of boredom that you can have with them but they are still rewarding experiences.

catswaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Where a lot of the other really bad reviews seemed to complain about it being "boring" or "only getting good later" the giantbomb review actually engaged with the game as it's being described.

Great review, I hope I end up liking the game more than him though!

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Surely no one expected anyone but Brad to like Death Stranding. The most shocking thing about the Giant Bomb review is that they even bothered to write a review.

They've been doing more recently, not sure why. Control, Death Stranding. Pretty sure Jeff's working on a Modern Warfare review he said on the Bombcast.

I actually often don't line up with the Bombcrew's opinions at the end of the day. But I still value them highly as an entertainment source and I will always love the Bomb/Beastcast. I've been a Premium sub since day one and I can't see myself quitting any time soon.