• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Final predictions for Death Stranding?

• 95-99 (Same as MGS2)

Votes: 101 6.4%
  • 90-94 (Same as MGS, MGS3, MGS4, MGSV)

Votes: 487 30.7%
  • 85-89 (Same as MGS: PW)

Votes: 512 32.3%
  • 80-84

Votes: 279 17.6%
  • 75-79

Votes: 135 8.5%
  • <75

Votes: 73 4.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom

755F.gif

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
So what's with the huge variation in completion time?

I have read anywhere from 30 to 100 hours. I'm guessing 30 hours for a critical path story mission only run, and 100 hours for 100% completion?

Tmespe

Oct 27, 2017
To be fair to Dan, he didn't review the game. He quit after like 8 hours or so. I'm sure if he had to review it, he would have given more insight as to why he hates it.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Is there any other 84,85 game on Metacritic in these years with this amount of 9s and 10s score?
Also it's interesting to see that some people get angry with each great review. It seems they just want to see awful reviews and can't believe more than half of reviewer are enjoying this game and giving it 9s and 10s.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
i Can't wait to play this game now....I'm going to sit down in my boxer shorts....

say to myself

"this is art

this is hideo Kojimas death stranding."

genuinely the last few reviews are making it hard for me to not buy this day one....I must hold out For the pc version.

im going to save up for some tweed suits, grow an amazing beard...buy some moustache oil...round bifocal glasses....and observe this "art" in action.

I will be elevated by the end..

by Hideo Kojimas death stranding.

the body of this is a harmless joke...but I'm genuinely finding it hard to not buy this now. I feel I need to experience this madness.

Jashobeam

Oct 27, 2017
Is there any other 84,85 game on Metacritic in these years with this amount of 9s and 10s score?
Also it's interesting to see that some people get angry with each great review. It seems they just want to see awful reviews and can't believe more than half of reviewer are enjoying this game and giving it 9s and 10s.

oh didn't you hear, all those reviews with 9s and 10s, if you actually read every single one of them, and then read them again, you will see that they all lied about their scores because they don't want to upset Kojima, also they were all injected with FoxDie. It's all a big conspiracy, the game is really a 3/10, irredeemable piece of garbage.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
oh didn't you hear, all those reviews with 9s and 10s, if you actually read every single one of them, and then read them again, you will see that they all lied about their scores because they don't want to upset Kojima, also they were all injected with FoxDie. It's all a big conspiracy, the game is really a 3/10, irredeemable piece of garbage.
Damn, the game isn't out yet and people are already calling it overrated without playing it.

At least with games like GTAIV people had the decency to wait a few month after seeing it for themselves before trashing it.

Ausroachman

Oct 27, 2017
For anyone who has reviewed it / played it. How often do the stealth sections appear?. Are they limited to certain parts of the map, do they randomly appear during timefall ? Its one of the more interesting aspects of the hiking to me.

Would love to know how often they occur.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Why is everyone shitting on "it makes you empathize with the UPS guy?" Today's economy involves millions of packages are being delivered by gig economy workers for shit pay and no thanks, it takes a massive amount of infrastructure and logistics to deliver chapstick to your door in two days, but we never pay it any mind despite the fact that Amazon warehouse workers are collapsing and pissing into bottles, and the people delivering the packages don't have it much easier. UPS might be a bad example because they are paid well and unionized, but there are thousands of contracted delivery workers (not to mention Uber drivers etc.) who are basically invisible and subhuman to the people who use their services every day.

The fact that people think it's laughable that the game made someone feel empathy and compassion and appreciation towards their delivery person is exactly why the game is trying to instill that in us.

this is genuinely a great post and very true.

Death Stranding might single-handedly cause young Americans to start tipping their Postmates and Uber Eats couriers.
I hope it does, even if one person thinks like that...and sticks too it for life. The world will be a slightly better place.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
I have a question.

All these personal attacks, and downright unacceptable behaviour we see on twitter and the wider internet, when someone doesn't agree with negative comments about a game they are emotionally and or financially invested in. Does it go the other way? Are there mobs of people sending all sorts of negativity out into the world at the people who give/ gave the product a good score?

Fuck being a games reviewer and not enjoying one of these big titles, that has a pre established fanbase because some of these tweets and comments I'm seeing under the reviews, or tweets, about the negatives in this game are eye opening.

It seems kind of perfect that this game has a rick and Morty advert....and I'm not ashamed to say I enjoy rick and Morty.
Yep. Fanboys go both way. They tend to be very defensive and try to ridicule those who tend to have different opinions and view the game in a different way they do.

i Can't wait to play this game now....I'm going to sit down in my boxer shorts....

say to myself

"this is art

this is hideo Kojimas death stranding."

genuinely the last few reviews are making it hard for me to not buy this day one....I must hold out For the pc version.

im going to save up for some tweed suits, grow an amazing beard...buy some moustache oil...round bifocal glasses....and observe this "art" in action.

I will be elevated by the end..

by Hideo Kojimas death stranding.

the body of this is a harmless joke...but I'm genuinely finding it hard to not buy this now. I feel I need to experience this madness.

Last edited:

Oxyrain

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair to Dan, he didn't review the game. He quit after like 8 hours or so. I'm sure if he had to review it, he would have given more insight as to why he hates it.

Jeff should pay him a bonus to finish and review it.

[Tin Foil Hat Time] I wonder if the distribution of review scores isn't showing the divisiveness that apparently (I haven't been paying too much attention) exists in the discourse, because some people actively dislike it so much they refuse to finish the game; therefore can't publish a review.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

[Tin Foil Hat Time] I wonder if the distribution of review scores isn't showing the divisiveness that apparently (I haven't been paying too much attention) exists in the discourse, because some people actively dislike it so much they refuse to finish the game; therefore can't publish a review.
The majority of big sites have already reviewed it aside from Edge so not really.

JayBabay

Oct 25, 2017
California
Yeah, I know I'm going to play this for sure, but I had to cancel my preorder because of that PC announcement. I figured I did alright waiting out for Red Dead on PC, I can do the same here, however I feel like this is going to be get way harder when user impressions hit.

Crimsonskies

Alt account
Banned
Nov 1, 2019
I was just grabbing for the most complex example that came to me. There are hundreds of simulator games or communities built on games that have obtuse or complex gameplay. Of course it's not the financially smart decision to go with that, but he has shown previously that he's interested in pushing simulation in games with MGSV. It was clear from the gameplay that Death Stranding will be alienating a lot of regular fans of mainstream gaming. My point was to call a gameplay design automatically "bad" because it is involved/obtuse/complex is nonsense.

Oh I agree with you there however given what I have heard about Death Stranding so far the complicated inventory management and that it starts of really REALLY slow may turn a lot of people off.

I spoke to a friend who played it he told me the game won't stop introducing mechanics for a long LONG time and there is way to much to pay attention too, not sure how that will fly with mainstream audience.

Oxyrain

Oct 25, 2017
The majority of big sites have already reviewed it aside from Edge so not really.

That's what the tin foil hat was for, the reviews can only be written by people who can bring themselves to finish the game. E.g. A hypothetical score from Edge would come from a freelancer, or someone who likes the game better than the staff consensus in their 4 page unscored 'Preview'.

Glassboy

Oct 27, 2017
People resonate with games to different degrees. I don't see the use in hating on someone for feeling this way, and it's certainly not the first game this gen to make people feel strong emotions. Some people loathed The Last Guardian, for example, while I found it to be an emotional ride with gut punches that left me sobbing and ultimately thinking about the game to this day.
Same. I can understand why people Last Guardian didn't resonate with people, but it really clicked with me emotionally.

Wink784

Oct 27, 2017
Oh I agree with you there however given what I have heard about Death Stranding so far the complicated inventory management and that it starts of really REALLY slow may turn a lot of people off.

I spoke to a friend who played it he told me the game won't stop introducing mechanics for a long LONG time and there is way to much to pay attention too, not sure how that will fly with mainstream audience.
I think way better than if Kojima wasn't involved. I'm sure even people who aren't into the gameplay will stick with it to finish the story at least, I know a couple myself who I suspect that from. I'm sure it's not pretty, but you can probably get away with a lot in this game even if you don't master its mechanics. It's not necessarily stopping you from progressing when you play it badly. It's just a shitty experience then. Still, a good amount of people will stick with it just to decipher the weirdness of the story and world to be able to talk about it.

Soneji

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Saying you don't like a game or saying the traversal systems are boring/not good isn't the same as this hot mess of a sermon.

"It played with my heartstrings, had me hugging my wife and kids more, and genuinely had me re-evaluate what really mattered in life, and the connections I had made with people along my own journey. It's more than art to me, it's an experience that shows the finality of life, the finite amount of time we have, and what we should intend on doing with the remaining time spent on this earth. This is something most gamers probably haven't thought about when playing a game, but I guarantee you're going to have these thoughts as you progress through Death Stranding."

He's acting like he's seen Jesus or some shit. This is an entirely different ballpark of delusion. An entirely different fucking universe even.
"This game made me realize how glad I am to not be an actual UPS delivery person in real life, to not have such a mundane and boring job. I shall now spend my finite time on this earth playing a game whose concept is stretched thin over 40+ hours, and has 45 minute long cutscenes."

I think the finite time on this Earth is something lots of gamers think about unconsciously a lot, given how many don't complete games lmao

In all seriousness it's the most grating thing for decades worth of games exploring complex subject matter, including time and it's finality, to be constantly ignored to prop up this game as a singular majestic work of art within this medium, a one of a kind thing only Kojima-san can bless upon us.

Hey here's a game that released near two decades ago that deals with how people choose to spend what little time they have left to live, on top of themes of age, race and the masks we choose to show the world. It's just a little known title from a small series:

the-legend-of-zelda-majoras-mask-3ds-cover.jpg

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Saying you don't like a game or saying the traversal systems are boring/not good isn't the same as this hot mess of a sermon.

"It played with my heartstrings, had me hugging my wife and kids more, and genuinely had me re-evaluate what really mattered in life, and the connections I had made with people along my own journey. It's more than art to me, it's an experience that shows the finality of life, the finite amount of time we have, and what we should intend on doing with the remaining time spent on this earth. This is something most gamers probably haven't thought about when playing a game, but I guarantee you're going to have these thoughts as you progress through Death Stranding."

He's acting like he's seen Jesus or some shit. This is an entirely different ballpark of delusion. An entirely different fucking universe even.
This is super cynical and a fucked up way of looking at someone's positive experience with art. We've all been looking here on ERA for people to move the medium forward in new and creative ways and now that lots of people seem to have resonated with DS in ways they haven't with other games, we shit on them?

I mean, are we going to call this a "hot mess sermon" too? I nearly cried reading this one.

Wink784

Oct 27, 2017
"This game made me realize how glad I am to not be an actual UPS delivery person in real life, to not have such a mundane and boring job. I shall now spend my finite time on this earth playing a game whose concept is stretched thin over 40+ hours, and has 45 minute long cutscenes."

I think the finite time on this Earth is something lots of gamers think about unconsciously a lot, given how many don't complete games lmao

In all seriousness it's the most grating thing for decades worth of games exploring complex subject matter, including time and it's finality, to be constantly ignored to prop up this game as a singular majestic work of art within this medium, a one of a kind thing only Kojima-san can bless upon us.
No one is saying this is the singularly worthy piece of videogame entertainment to be called art and exploring concepts. In fact most who argue for the power of art have underscored that they have been affected by artful videogames all the time which is why they choose to believe those reviewers who had a strong reaction to this particular game, which the conversation is on at the moment because it is new and the thing to talk about. You're just as silly as the people you try to make fun of who actually worship Kojima like he's the only one capable of expressing something meaningful.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Hey here's a game that released near two decades ago that deals with how people choose to spend what little time they have left to live, on top of themes of age, race and the masks we choose to show the world. It's just a little known title from a small series:

the-legend-of-zelda-majoras-mask-3ds-cover.jpg
And that's all fine. If you wrote "This is something most gamers probably haven't thought about when playing a game, but I guarantee you're going to have these thoughts as you progress through Majoras Mask." instead though, I would call your take ridiculous and hyperbolic, too.
This is super cynical and a fucked up way of looking at someone's positive experience with art. We've all been looking here on ERA for people to move the medium forward in new and creative ways and now that lots of people seem to have resonated with DS in ways they haven't with other games, we shit on them?

I mean, are we going to call this a "hot mess sermon" too? I nearly cried reading this one.
Did that reviewer talk about how nobody ever thought of what he thought of while palying the game, and that finally people will get it if they start playing it? I don't really care for his new way of life thanks to Death Stranding, good for him. It's that last part that shines that light of pretentiousness and ridiculousness on the rest of the quote.
I'd really prefer if y'all contact me in DMs instead though. Like seriously, I appreaciate normal dicussions, and with some of y'all I like to have them, so I'd rather respond. If I do that I'll just continue what went on for several pages already though, and I think that's already too much.

Last edited:

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Is it true that the difficulty levels really only affect combat? Sounds kind of... Stupid, considering that the traversal is the biggest part of the game. I'm considering getting the game only because I know it has a very easy difficulty level that should reduce the potential tedium, but if it doesn't, well, I guess I'll just Youtube it or something. I'm really only interested in the story and the world right now.

Soneji

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
And that's all fine. If you wrote "This is something most gamers probably haven't thought about when playing a game, but I guarantee you're going to have these thoughts as you progress through Majoras Mask." instead though, I would call your take ridiculous and hyperbolic, too.

Did that reviewer talk about how nobody ever thought of what he thought of while palying the game, and that finally people will get it if they start playing it? I don't really care for his new way of life thanks to Death Stranding, good for him. It's that last part that shines that light of pretentiousness and ridiculousness on the rest of the quote.
It definitely is unintentionally condescending, especially as it assumes that gamers A) don't engage with other works of art intellectually and B) if they do they don't do so when playing video games.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia

Nah, those who don't like it and not finishing it will say their opinion loud and clear even without review score at the end, giant bomb and Edge is easy example, Edge will still have multi pages article about Death Stranding, they just label it as previews with no score, but, really it's no different than reviews without score like Kotaku and some other sites.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Is it true that the difficulty levels really only affect combat? Sounds kind of... Stupid, considering that the traversal is the biggest part of the game. I'm considering getting the game only because I know it has a very easy difficulty level that should reduce the potential tedium, but if it doesn't, well, I guess I'll just Youtube it or something. I'm really only interested in the story and the world right now.
Easier difficulty supposedly make traversal easier, making you less likely to lose your balance, I assume harder difficulty will affect your balance too, but I don't know. I avoid reading too much in depth reviews

Wink784

Oct 27, 2017
I've been told it also makes timefall damage on cargo more severe. Can't vouch for that though.

Phil me in

Nov 22, 2018
This thread is turning out to be probably better than the game itself.

We've had you can't judge a game unless you finish it, even if the gameplay until the end isn't your thing. Do you need to finish superman 64 to review?

Now I see the art arguments and hilarious comparisons to taking DMT and people going on a journey of discovery.

What makes this game 'art' exactly? Seems just like another Kojima ego inspired wacky story.

Oct 27, 2017
This thread is turning out to be probably better than the game itself.

We've had you can't judge a game unless you finish it, even if the gameplay until the end isn't your thing. Do you need to finish superman 64 to review?

Now I see the art arguments and hilarious comparisons to taking DMT and people going on a journey of discovery.

What makes this game 'art' exactly? Seems just like another Kojima ego inspired wacky story.
What makes anything Art? I'll wait.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
I remember people discrediting the good MGSV reviews, saying you had to finish the entire game to give an accurate assessment of the game.

Now I see people saying you shouldn't have to finish Death Stranding to give a review.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Easier difficulty supposedly make traversal easier, making you less likely to lose your balance, I assume harder difficulty will affect your balance too, but I don't know. I avoid reading too much in depth reviews
I've been told it also makes timefall damage on cargo more severe. Can't vouch for that though.

Gotcha, sounds like it's very likely the difficulty levels do affect the traversal too, then. I'm sure we'll get more concrete answers as soon as Friday. Playing the game on a "story mode" difficulty honestly sounds very appealing to me. Take relaxing strolls in a beautiful albeit barren world in between the story cutscenes.