• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Final predictions for Death Stranding?

• 95-99 (Same as MGS2)

Votes: 101 6.4%
  • 90-94 (Same as MGS, MGS3, MGS4, MGSV)

Votes: 487 30.7%
  • 85-89 (Same as MGS: PW)

Votes: 512 32.3%
  • 80-84

Votes: 279 17.6%
  • 75-79

Votes: 135 8.5%
  • <75

Votes: 73 4.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
So people have complained endlessly about AAA games becoming tired and stale with no new ideas, Death Stranding is seemingly entirely different from the AAA norm but people are also complaining that it's repetitive and boring.

So I think it raises the question, are we content with familiar and safe? Or should we be more open to more creative risks with the danger that they don't pay off.
I think people who are at least curious should play the game for themselves.

Blah low effort introspection.

Austin Walker made a comment on the DS Waypoint podcast that really made a lot of sense to me. We need more AAA games like this, so we can actually talk about the quality without saying "I don't care if it's bad, it's different so that makes it good.".

Giantbomb preview actually approached this in a way you would most likely prefer. They both hated the game but respected the audacity of it. Gertsman doesn't think he will see the whole game through. The other guy finds himself keep coming back to play it because the experience is compelling enough despite how many specific pieces part of that experience are bad.

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
The IGN review if you actually read it neutrally and look at the content and ignore the score is a pretty fair review, the reviewer points out several positives but some legitimate things they just didn't like...which is fair.

Anyway the main negative that has me a bit worried based off a few reviews is that it sounds like taking care of the MULEs and avoiding the BTs (and defeating the BT bosses) doesn't sound very difficult, or easy after a while. May not bother me much in the end though, will have to see.
The pepe twitter probably just saw the scores, and the posters on the twitter as well, so they give IGN flak for this, which is just stupid.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Ignoring Staff Post
From what I've gathered, the main question you need to ask yourself before buying the game is this:

How far up Kojima's ass are you willing to crawl with him?

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For anyone else on the fence like me living in the USA, Gamestop is offering a 48 hours trade window on opened copies. They will give you $59.99 trade credit (NOT a refund, trade credit you can use on other stuff in store) by end of business 11/10/19 (sunday). I plan on picking it up friday, playing for 4-8 hours, and then probably trading it back in whether I like it or not. It'll just help me decide if I want to play in the future or not, pretty risk free (using the TC on Jedi Fallen Order a week later, a game I know I'm probably going to enjoy).

I'm actually getting the collectors edition, its a bit crazy at $199, but having that egg in a case thing will be awesome for future Halloweens lol
The other thing I've come to understand is that the game is ~70 hours long and doesn't get "fun" until about halfway through (Kojima's own words!)

Some of the cutscenes are as long as an hour.

The game starts out brutally. Hours are spent just acclimating.

So I get the impression that the rental period you speak of will not be long enough to actually decide if you like the game, or are even supposed to like the game at that point.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
I am not saying it is but even if DS was an encumbrance simulator it needs to have an amazing reward for the small wins as this mechanic is literally the only major gameplay in it.

It does adds to the realism, but from other's view that makes it less gamey which is true.
And yet the item system isn't the only major gameplay element. There are stealth sections where you avoid BTs, and combat is an optional mechanic (supposedly similar to some of MGSV's mechanics) that supposedly becomes more viable the farther into the game you get.

A realistic encumbrance system would make it an encumbrance simulator though...
"And comparing it to WRPGs" is the focus of my argument here. The issue isn't even that the game is "an encumbrance simulator", it's the reductive arguments people have been appending to that statement.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
So people have complained endlessly about AAA games becoming tired and stale with no new ideas, Death Stranding is seemingly entirely different from the AAA norm but people are also complaining that it's repetitive and boring.

So I think it raises the question, are we content with familiar and safe? Or should we be more open to more creative risks with the danger that they don't pay off.
I think people who are at least curious should play the game for themselves.
So fucking tired of yearly reskinned games. Thats why im one of the Yakuza fans that is very hyped for the next Yakuza that is completelly changing the combat system to a diferent genre. Even if i understand why some fans are against the change i always applaud someone trying to shake things up.

Anyone trying new ideas for gamming will have my atention. Its super sad that PS2 was the last generation where u saw alot of crazy new ideas coming out for retail games. Games like Katamari Damacy, Ico, Shadow of the Collossus and many more, now are only atempted by indy devs, leaving the big budget games to reskins of safe bets with microtransactions and all kinds of scammy cash grabs so they can fund the same game next year with a new skin.

Oct 27, 2017
I kind of got the gist as soon as Tim Rogers' said in his video review that it was the "Gran Turismo of walking simulators."

He gave the game high praise, mind you.

I'm definitely not saying that's a bad thing.
Honestly I'm not even remotely a Kojimaphile but this game looks fascinating to me. Dunno why that bothers so many people tho?

My current theory is that people wanted the game to be something else and we got this glorious mess and now their noses are all out of joint.

Pharaoh

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
The other thing I've come to understand is that the game is ~70 hours long and doesn't get "fun" until about halfway through (Kojima's own words!)

Some of the cutscenes are as long as an hour.

The game starts out brutally. Hours are spent just acclimating.

So I get the impression that the rental period you speak of will not be long enough to actually decide if you like the game, or are even supposed to like the game at that point.

Say what?! Really?

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Goddammit.

I've never played a game remotely similar to it (never played a Kojima game, or a stealth game, I've only played like two open world games) and I'm a JRPG fan but....

Sigh

I'll buy it and try it out one day (only bc I never buy games anywhere near launch now)

Have you played Journey btw? Open world adventure played with random silent strangers, both of you figuring out what to do and where to go with no communication. Incredible soundtrack. Just realised it's on Spotify, yeeeesss!

ShinAmano

Oct 30, 2017
So...metal gear 4 was the only game to ever put me to sleep while playing. Sounds like this could be in that same bucket. I might check out on redbox.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Jesus Christ! Weirdly enough I'm more interested in the game now.

How about the map size? I've watched some videos but I have no idea how big it actually is. Do any reviews draw any comparisons with other games?
Dont believe everething u read in this thread. I never saw so much false information being spread in a hardcore gamming forum. A reviewer here already told that was false, the longest cutscene he found was 45 minutes long. Still huge, but not 2h long. WTF?

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ok forgive me since I just got back but how the heck is this thread almost 200 pages?

WTF happend? Is it because it did worse then people wanted? Better then people wanted?

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am not saying it is but even if DS was an encumbrance simulator it needs to have an amazing reward for the small wins as this mechanic is literally the only major gameplay in it.

It does adds to the realism, but from other's view that makes it less gamey which is true.

I'd argue focusing so much on packing and traveling is super fucking gamey.

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
Actually the end is supposed to be over two hours. Lol.

He absolute madman if have done that lol. I read one interview and Kojima said something like ''i heard complaints about lack of cutscenes in MGSV and i think people won't be disappointed this time''. :)

Core gameplay loop killed half of my interest, but i'm still waiting for PC version next year.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
From what I've gathered, the main question you need to ask yourself before buying the game is this:

How far up Kojima's ass are you willing to crawl with him?
giphy.gif

Jul 10, 2018
So fucking tired of yearly reskinned games. Thats why im one of the Yakuza fans that is very hyped for the next Yakuza that is completelly changing the combat system to a diferent genre. Even if i understand why some fans are against the change i always applaud someone trying to shake things up.

Anyone trying new ideas for gamming will have my atention. Its super sad that PS2 was the last generation where u saw alot of crazy new ideas coming out for retail games. Games like Katamari Damacy, Ico, Shadow of the Collossus and many more, now are only atempted by indy devs, leaving the big budget games to reskins of safe bets with microtransactions and all kinds of scammy cash grabs so they can fund the same game next year with a new skin.

Same, I don't mind the change to turn based combat. As long as it retains the vibe and spirit of previous Yakuza games, which I know it will judging from trailers.

It's also why I love Shenmue so much, its unlike anything else out there. Which is also why I understand radically different games will be usually be divisive/ appeal to a smaller audience.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So...metal gear 4 was the only game to ever put me to sleep while playing. Sounds like this could be in that same bucket. I might check out on redbox.
A) Rogers said in his review MGS4 was the most Kojima game ever until DS

B) it really seems like the kind of game you can't properly assess in a rental period.

Honestly, people should warch Tim Rogers' review. It's pretty spoiler free, very funny, very insightful and - appropriately - an hour long and self-indulgent. I loved it.

Even though most of the review describes the heaps of misery the game will foist upon you, his video has made me more interested in playing the game than anything else.

"What if Breath Of The Wild was boring... on purpose? What if Assassin's Creed hated you?"

Pharaoh

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Dont believe everething u read in this thread. I never saw so much false information being spread in a hardcore gamming forum. A reviewer here already told that was false, the longest cutscene he found was 45 minutes long. Still huge, but not 2h long. WTF?

Oh, thanks for the clarification.

I agree. I'm not a long time Yakuza fan, I've finished Zero and Kiwami 1 and I'm currently at the beginning of Kiwami 2, but I'm super excited for 7 and I welcome the changes.

Oct 27, 2017
Really I'm certain someone said over two hours on the ending? I'll see if I can find it.
Jesus Christ! Weirdly enough I'm more interested in the game now.

How about the map size? I've watched some videos but I have no idea how big it actually is. Do any reviews draw any comparisons with other games?
I have not heard any direct comparisons on the map size. If I come across any will repost. Looks substantial tho.

HebrewHammer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Do we have any idea if there are unlockable outfits, levels to gain, XP, etc.?

since I'm going to spend the next few weeks as a post apocalyptic delivery man, I want there to be some damn incentive in terms of unlockables.

kiaaa

Oct 27, 2017
Do we have any idea if there are unlockable outfits, levels to gain, XP, etc.?

since I'm going to spend the next few weeks as a post apocalyptic delivery man, I want there to be some damn incentive in terms of unlockables.

I can't personally confirm it, but that Conan skit showed off an otter outfit.

Oct 27, 2017
A) Rogers said in his review MGS4 was the most Kojima game ever until DS

B) it really seems like the kind of game you can't properly assess in a rental period.

Honestly, people should warch Tim Rogers' review. It's pretty spoiler free, very funny, very insightful and - appropriately - an hour long and self-indulgent. I loved it.

Even though most of the review describes the heaps of misery the game will foist upon you, his video has made me more interested in playing the game than anything else.

"What if Breath Of The Wild was boring... on purpose? What if Assassin's Creed hated you?"

Tim Rodgers review is why I'm getting the game essentially. He pulled this shit with DQ on me too.
I'll have you know that cutscene is only 45 minutes long!
Lol, yeah bring the PAIN!

Zojirushi

Oct 26, 2017
Should be interesting seeing peoples' reactions unfold over the next couple of months while I wait for the PC release.
Doubt I'll jump right in after reading some of the reviews but I dunno maybe I'm in the right mood once it's out.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Guys, how is online aspects of the game according to reviewers?
I finished all Soulsborne games offline (except 2 or 3 times) and think the atmosphere is better that way. I know that Death Stranding online elements are different, but I still have doubt about playing it online or completely offline for better atmosphere.

kiaaa

Oct 27, 2017
I finished all Soulsborne games offline (except 2 or 3 times) and think the atmosphere is better that way. I know that Death Stranding online elements are different, but I still have doubt about playing it online or completely offline for better atmosphere.

I've seen multiple people say that the online components are one of the most interesting parts of the game.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
All the opinions I've seen of it seem generally positive. The cooperative nature of it makes the world a little less lonely without actually doing that much to blunt the challenge of the massive and very hostile world. Other people's helpfully placed ladders and bridges and ropes and what not are like oases. Or occasionally mirages, when they turn out not to be helpful at all.

Dusker

Jul 6, 2018
Does any review mention if motion controls can be disabled? Trying to avoid spoilers so haven't really read much...

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I've seen multiple people say that the online components are one of the most interesting parts of the game.

All the opinions I've seen of it seem generally positive. The cooperative nature of it makes the world a little less lonely without actually doing that much to blunt the challenge of the massive and very hostile world. Other people's helpfully placed ladders and bridges and ropes and what not are like oases. Or occasionally mirages, when they turn out not to be helpful at all.
Thanks. It seems I should test it!