• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Final predictions for Death Stranding?

• 95-99 (Same as MGS2)

Votes: 101 6.4%
  • 90-94 (Same as MGS, MGS3, MGS4, MGSV)

Votes: 487 30.7%
  • 85-89 (Same as MGS: PW)

Votes: 512 32.3%
  • 80-84

Votes: 279 17.6%
  • 75-79

Votes: 135 8.5%
  • <75

Votes: 73 4.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Azzanadra

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The constant theme across almost all of these reviews is that the gameplay can be tedious, boring, and frustrating yet they are scoring it at an 8 or higher. So I think the real question this game is presenting is does a game have to be fun in order to be good? I would say in any other medium the answer to this question is no but games are different.

What does ERA think of this? Do games have to be fun to be good?

No. Some of my favorite games were not "fun" in the conventional sense, but rather they drew me in and kept me immersed in the world. For example, Planescape Torment's gameplay was mediocre enough that it was best avoided when possible, but the writing is what made that game a classic as it kept players intrigued and captivated. From last year we had RDR2, which was best outside of its linear shoot-bang mission gameplay.

Useanyname

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 29, 2019
Gameplay being different from the norm is not an absence of gameplay. Jesus.

I've been combing through the old Playstation 1 library for the past month and I've been struck by the amazing diversity and styles of games available for the system. You have everything from Metal Gear Solid to Abe's Odyssey and bizarre shit like Incredible Crisis and No One Can Stop Mr. Domino. It's pretty ridiculous. If the gameplay isn't your style, that's totally fine, but you don't need to rip into it. Now if a developer tries something new they're just bombarded with snarky twitter memes.
Gameplay being different doesn't make it good either. I don't get why there is need to praise something just because it's different.

xolsec

Feb 18, 2018
Every review I've read from my country (Argentina) have gave the game a 10 or saying glowing things, read three reviews and they all love it. It seems very genuine, they all praise how different to any AAA it is and the themes it touches.
I had very low expectations and I'm really excited now that it turned out good because I'm itching to play something different.

Oct 27, 2017
if it weird that a lot of the things Reviewers have complained about are increasing my hype? Like a lonely, empty world with little but important contact with literally other ppl IRL sounds amazing for me personally. I love isolated exploration games. This sounds less action oriented than Botw, MGSV but the general vibe seems cool. I have Friday and the following Monday off, got my 4K set ready and recently got surround sound, I cannot wait. Hope GameStop does an early release on Thursday

Oct 27, 2017
The constant theme across almost all of these reviews is that the gameplay can be tedious, boring, and frustrating yet they are scoring it at an 8 or higher. So I think the real question this game is presenting is does a game have to be fun in order to be good? I would say in any other medium the answer to this question is no but games are different in that they are interactive.

Games don't have to be fun. They should strive to be engaging above all else. Gameplay elements can be boring or bad but if it all plays to the overall engagement that the game is striving for then so be it. RDR2 is a good example.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I would totally be down for Kojima working through his Konami trauma via a game about delivering the post if it was a 10-20 hour game.

But I just dont want use 50 hours of my time on it.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The constant theme across almost all of these reviews is that the gameplay can be tedious, boring, and frustrating yet they are scoring it at an 8 or higher. So I think the real question this game is presenting is does a game have to be fun in order to be good? I would say in any other medium the answer to this question is no but games are different in that they are interactive.

Yes. It's the exact reason why I never replayed the Last of Us back in the day. Loved the story but it was not fun at all. Now the multiplayer? That's as fun as hell. Too bad for the sequel.

In regards to this, I need to have fun while I'm walking around. I already learned that hard lesson from No Mans Sky. I'm not going to actively not have fun and wait for the fun to eventually happen, I know it's never gonna come with a game like this (for me)

Deleted member 49319

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 4, 2018

No, and "fun" itself is a word too generic.

Oct 30, 2017
So what im getting is; lots of cut scenes. Pick how much stuff you want to carry. Walk to destination. Cut scene. Pick how much you want to carry. Walk to destination. Cut scene.

Im going through MGS V right now in anticipation for Death Stranding. But after reading the reviews for DS why bother?

MGV tPP is one of the goats when it comes to gameplay.

I feel deflated.

Hooks

Oct 27, 2017
it's looking like we already got our GOTY back in march

https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Ferikkain%2Ffiles%2F2018%2F07%2FSekiro-5.jpg
I somehow forgot this game came out this year
My GOTY too

benzy

Oct 25, 2017
Did any review talk about void out craters? Once you cause a void out crater can you traverse through the crater or is there an invisible wall preventing you from entering it?

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017

A game have to be engaging to be good.
This engagement can be achieved by different elements of it, fun can be one of them.
That's my opinion.

GillianSeed79

Oct 27, 2017
Ok so after having a think about it, I think my main issue is that I'm literally too time poor to invest in this game enough for it to become enjoyable.

It's fine that some people have enough time to dedicate 10-30 hours of admittedly boring and repetitive gameplay to receive a satisfying payoff at hour 40-60. But that's not me.

I also refuse to believe that reducing those initial 10/30 hours down to 2-5 hours wouldn't have diminished that payoff.
This is my issue in general with modern games. I basically took the last year off of gaming because I was so busy I didn't have time to finish or play anything of significant length. I'm still hyped for Death Stranding, but a 60 hour game takes me like 6 months to finish these days. I fucking long for the days of 10-20 hour AAA games. I want to give Kojima the benefit of the doubt though.

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
The answer is obviously yes much like with other entertainment media - but you're not really asking that question.

Referencing it specifically to review scores, your actual question is "Do the games have to be fun to be highly-rated?"
Which is obviously still a yes - as MC has plenty of highly rated games that don't fit mainstream definition of fun - Eve Online or The Witness among many.

The flipside is of course that 'definition of fun' is subjective to begin with. In Germany Farming simulator is a popular E-Sport as well as a game. Yet it's obviously not something you'd class with 'fun' in most other parts of the world.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
what's new here about a genre?
Kojima clarified in a recent interview that he doesn't believe it's a new genre, but wants to emphasise that what he's creating here is new and wanted to give it a label that best describes it. Reviews definitely go about calling it innovative and something unlike anything they've played.

weird stories are better in his own metal gear
I have no idea where the narrative lands, but a story being weird doesn't exclude it from offering up new things.

Traversal is better in AC
Traversal - for one - is nothing like Assassin's Creed, aims for something completely different. DS has mechanics that are structured around encumberement affecting your centre of balance, and navigating the physicality of the terrain is a fundamental gameplay challenge. Improvements to your "loadout" help you overcome these challenges over time. I'm left wondering what other game discourages killing enemies because if you don't carry and dispose of the bodies, they void out leaving a huge crater in the map which further affects the gameplay and how you traverse the world? That's been known for a while. Also, there is no die/fail and repeat state in the game.

async MP was done in Demons Souls
Saying that DS does nothing new with a specific kind of online functionality is like saying a game can't innovate because its story has characters in it and that's already been done before, and in that sense, nobody can create something new ever because of what are now artificial restrictions. From what I've read the social aspects sound like something that is on a whole different spectrum compared to what was introduced in Demon's Souls. Players can contribute to building structures and pathways in the world which require variable amounts of resources, and again is something that affects/improves the traversal, your experience as a whole and makes it change over time. These structures can also degrade over time due to the Timefall mechanic, which supports the players coming together to rebuild America theme. What of this did From Software do again? You can be inspired by something but still create something new out of that.

AzVal

May 7, 2018

If a game is not fun and engaging there is no story in this world that can force me to slog through it, I learned my lesson with Demons Souls and I havent forced me through any game since. Nowadays you can just watch the cutscenes or read the synopsis if the story has you enraptured but the gameplay has you frustrated.

Don't think so, he's mostly retweeting impressions.

and scores of such reputable sites as Doritos Weekly? was he in the joke or never figured it out?

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
My gaming backlog is way too big (working through Outer Worlds now) to want to power through the gameplay slog of this one for some unknown emotional payoff, as there are way too many cool games out there and even Jedi Fallen Order in a couple weeks.

Kazaam

Oct 26, 2017
London
Just saw the Tim Rogers review and must say this game already = bang for buck for me. Can't wait to get my hands on it.

Deleted member 2379

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One of the the general themes that I feel like is stated in some but ignored in others is the sense that the game doesn't respect your time at all. It was a 20 hr game stretched to 50 with a mid game that is pure fetch quests.

Alex N said as much on Twitter. This game doesn't respect your time.

do you ultimately feel like spending an hour to deliver a package for no payback was worth your time?

those that hated it said no

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017

It is the same way it has always been. Enthusiasts, especially "professional" reviewers, have always been swayed towards higher scores by presentation, nice graphics, novelty, marketing machines, original concepts, artistic flair, reputation, and a bunch of others, over actual fun and gameplay.

It's the reason why shit tedious rage-inducing games like Ecco the Dolphin, Donkey Kong 64 and countless others have received incredible ratings across the board despite being, well, shit.

Deleted member 2379

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It is the same way it has always been. Enthusiasts, especially "professional" reviewers, have always been swayed towards higher scores by presentation, nice graphics, novelty, marketing machines, original concepts, artistic flair, reputation, and a bunch of others, over actual fun and gameplay.

It's the reason why shit tedious rage-inducing games like Ecco the Dolphin, Donkey Kong 64 and countless others have received incredible ratings across the board despite being, well, shit.

Ecco still brings up bad memories from the old Acer in our family room that I would sneak down and play. That game haunts me

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

DK 64 was amazing at the time.

Way too much of a collectathon nowadays sure, but it's still got great aspects like the minecart stages.

Belvedere

Oct 27, 2017
Danny O'Dwyer's review has pretty much sold me on the game. I've had fears since the reveal but I'm also more than up for something so polarizing.

Ok John's magnificent DF video helped too.
😋

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
The game is too divisive. It is either "the game literally fails as a game" or "the game delivers all fronts"

Kazaam

Oct 26, 2017
London
Fun was always too wide of an umbrella term. What do people understand by fun? Do they mean thematically? Do they mean mechanically? Is it used as an antonym for boring?

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like Kojima would feel more at home creating a title like GoW, Fallen Order, Gears 5, and Control where it's not an open world title but way less linear than the last generation of titles. Where there are parts where it does open up. As that would be a natural evolution of the titles that were his claim to fame, compared to the task of making an open world game.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
sounds like the game and narrative would be better if it was 9 hours instead of 40+.

Wide as an ocean, deep as an ocean.

Phantom_Snake

Banned
Jul 26, 2018
Montana
So I will ask this here cause review thread is too crowded. It seems like the general consensus says the shared world building is the best part but how does the game delegate how much player contributions enter your game. At some point it would end up making the entire game super easy if it's all highways. I wonder if there is a smart system to pair up players in similar parts of the game together so it's not just a bunch of higher level stuff from people who beat the game.
Revealed in TGS gameplay demonstration but I'll spoiler tag it.

Timefall (rain) deteriorates player built structures over time unless players maintain it.

Oct 29, 2017
This is a really weird criticism of opinions from people who have played the game, from someone who hasn't played the game.

"I guess that people who have played the game that I havent played didn't like it because they weren't ready for it". Like what does that even mean?

No idea what your last paragraph means or what you understood from what I said. And the folks who have played the game have clearly rated it highly according to metacritic.

my point was don't knock it till you tried it, this game clearly has polarising reviews.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
I read all of the quotes in the OP taken from the full reviews and I read 2 of the reviews themselves.
Doing so has reiterated that my personal choice is I will play this game one day once it goes on sale or comes to PS Plus eventually.
Simply put, I have plenty of other of games to play and nothing I've read is persuading me I will enjoy this game more than any of them. In fact it sounds like a game I really would have to be in a very specific mood for.
Perhaps the biggest thing that has confirmed my choice is 40 hours is really fucking long. I just don't have time like that to dedicate at 44 years old, especially when there are a few other games I am interested in.

Enjoy to those who are looking forward to it and honestly it is your impressions I am ultimately most interested in.

GillianSeed79

Oct 27, 2017
True.

Do you think the fact that your average games critic, who's usually a male in the 30-40 range, is someone who no longer has the time or patience for the bigger time sink experiences could factor into the overall consensus on this game?
This probably has something to do with it. Growing up and in my teens and 20's I could sink hours upon hours into games that I'd probably consider slogs these days as an adult. My tastes have matured too, as an adult. In my teens and 20s, guys like Kojima seemed like super deep auteurs with important things to say. Now....I look at most video game stories as passable at best with only a few standouts here and there? It doesn't help that there are SO MANY more entertainment options these days. It's hard for me sometimes to chose playing a repetitive video game with video game-level storytelling over, say, watching a critically acclaimed tv show or movie on Netflix.