• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Final predictions for Death Stranding?

• 95-99 (Same as MGS2)

Votes: 101 6.4%
  • 90-94 (Same as MGS, MGS3, MGS4, MGSV)

Votes: 487 30.7%
  • 85-89 (Same as MGS: PW)

Votes: 512 32.3%
  • 80-84

Votes: 279 17.6%
  • 75-79

Votes: 135 8.5%
  • <75

Votes: 73 4.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Dec 6, 2017
US
So did anyone catch in any of the reviews just how frequent the fucking baby wailing/shake controller to appease mechanic is? That seems absurdly obnoxious and I noticed it in several videos' gameplay footage earlier today when watching reviews. Is it like not only do you trip and bust your ass potentially damaging cargo but the baby starts screaming at you through the grating controller speaker every time?

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
It's more like if you buy this game and then complain about it because you're "bored" please don't let the world know. We know this game will be a glorious mess and if you haven't done the research and expect a "Shootbang" that's on you.

It's ok to not like things. Unfortunately people will expect a certain experience from a AAA game and sony will push this game hard for Christmas and the game will leave a lot of people nonplussed and we'll never hear the end of it.

Ok I'm with you on that. By the time the game is out and reviews are able to talk about the game in full there won't be an excuse for people not knowing what's in store as long as they do their research. But I do think reviewers who have legitimate complaints about the gameplay loop or pacing despite knowing full well what the game aims to be shouldn't be dissuaded from voicing those thoughts.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
I think the issue is that The Discourse is built out of these two dominant groups

-People who love gameplay stuff and want to play mostly DMC5, Doom, and Super Mario Odyssey and care a lot about how a game feels. They are going to vocally hate this game a lot.
-People who care a lot about the games as art stuff.

I think it's going to be hard for the second group to embrace Kojima more over time because he doesn't align politically or personally with them and instead we'll get more Twitter dunks on Kojima.

This kind of like the Star Wars prequels and David Cage games in that a natural audience for doing the "this is an unappreciated classic!" doesn't exist online.
DMC3 is a top 5 favorite game for me, love the series and others like Ninja Gaiden, Bayonetta, and other fast paced "gameplay first" games. I also love games like Deadly Premonition where the gameplay and graphics are utter shit but everything else is sublime. Pathologic is intentionally excruciating and I also love it.

Death Stranding looks right up my alley, this is like an "anti video game" it just completely bucks what a blockbuster game is mechanically supposed to be and I love that this exists. I'm a person who thinks Twin Peaks S3 is one the greatest things to ever grace television.

Truly I must be an enigma.

Hogendaz85

Dec 6, 2017
Almost none of the glowing reviews are from games journalists that I'm familiar with and who are regularly mentioned on this board.

Pretty telling that most of the respected games journalists are pretty sour on the game, and it's a good thing for Death Stranding's MC score that many of those reviews are unscored.
So the same four or five people influence your gaming decisions and opinions?

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017

The idea of having to stack your cargo so you can deliver a pizza horizontally instead of vertically I think encapsulates the appeal of Death Stranding's gameplay.

I think it's genius - a level of detail that makes even mundane activities into a kind of puzzle, but I equally understand why someone might find it ridiculous.

blitzblake

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
Giant Bomb's mauling,
Not everyone is down on it. It's more like "GB say it's BAAAAD, I like GB so it's BAD!". If you know what you're getting into then you should be able to make a decision to avoid or buy based on your preferences.
The thing is giant bomb isn't a single person, yet every single person on staff doesn't dig it, from Abbey to Dan to Vinny to Alex to Jeff, except maybe Brad who does have a fascination and awe with it. I've never seen a game when just about no one on the crew actually can say "I like this".

Oct 26, 2017
Why would art require a shifting perception to the positive due to empathy to the artist?

I think a lot of being willing to put out "this piece of media is underrated!" takes are dependent on relating or appreciating the artist because people don't want to put their neck out for a piece of media they don't like the creator of. I really think the Star Wars prequels both being anti-fascist and racist has killed any "the prequels were actually good!" Discourse.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That Kotaku review really drives it home that if you saw the launch trailer you basically ruin half the enjoyment of the game. Really shitty thing for them to do.

Hogendaz85

Dec 6, 2017
User banned (3 days): Trolling, ignoring staff post.
Game not slashy slash or shooty bang bang means it's not fun.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
The Easy-Allies ended with something on the vein of "Death Stranding is not afraid to make you feel bored". I'm glad games like these exist, and I applaud their effort and wish them a lot of success BUT... bored is not something I look forward in any art form. Bored seems the opposite of what I would want from any videogame/music/movie/etc...
I'm on PC so there are a few months until I try this game, let's see how it holds up.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
The idea of having to stack your cargo so you can deliver a pizza horizontally instead of vertically I think encapsulates the appeal of Death Stranding's gameplay.

I think it's genius - a lot of detail making even mundane activities into a kind of puzzles, but I equally understand why someone might find it ridiculous.
The whole time I couldn't stop thinking "they can only show 20 minutes because if the pizza's cold when it gets there Donatello won't pay full price."

I would say this is one of the "most interesting" games of the year (from what I gather from reviews of a game I haven't played yet lol).

Brood

Nov 8, 2018

Death Stranding will be divisive. There will be the Kojima-stans who defend its every design decision, claiming that anybody who dares criticize the game is incapable of understanding the unparalleled brilliance of its creator. There will also be those who condemn this game, calling it a work of pretentious fraudulence.

The reality is that Death Stranding is neither a masterpiece nor a failure. It's a fairly average but ambitious experience, elevated by the enthusiasm and eccentricity of its creator. As frustrating a creative work as it often is, there's no doubting that it's an earnest one.

I say goddam

Oct 27, 2017
The thing is giant bomb isn't a single person, yet every single person on staff doesn't dig it, from Abbey to Dan to Vinny to Alex to Jeff, except maybe Brad who does have a fascination and awe with it. I've never seen a game when just about no one on the crew actually can say "I like this".
Here's a take on it; sometimes group-think can set in, I am NOT saying GB are mindless drones just that in a group setting when one person points out a glaring flaw a pile-on can ensue.

DS seems like a very solitary experience and not a "party game" and I mean that in both senses. If you watched the GB stuff and feel the same way there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

May 17, 2019
I think a lot of being willing to put out "this piece of media is underrated!" takes are dependent on relating or appreciating the artist because people don't want to put their neck out for a piece of media they don't like the creator of. I really think the Star Wars prequels both being anti-fascist and racist has killed any "the prequels were actually good!" Discourse.

And now I am completely lost. You do know that many people appreciate Lovecraft, Delany, Jodorowsky, and Wat ers despite them being awful people?

Oct 27, 2017
Someone tried arguing that the difficulty of reading through anne frank is comparable to the tedium of having to play death stranding but at the end of the day both can prove valuable.

Its literally might be the most embarrassing post made on this forum.

Uhhh.... That's an.. interesting comparison.

Now, I haven't played Death Stranding or read Anne Frank's diary, but I can see why both in their own way could be tedious to get through. That said, whereas Anne Frank's diary leaves you with a glimpse into the horrors of WW2 and nazism, I kinda suspect DS will leave you with another Kojima story that makes no goddamn sense.

blitzblake

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
Here's a take on it; sometimes group-think can set in, I am NOT saying GB are mindless drones just that in a group setting when one person points out a glaring flaw a pile-on can ensue.

DS seems like a very solitary experience and not a "party game" and I mean that in both senses. If you watched the GB stuff and feel the same way there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.
I agree but also people here are comparing a considered, written review from other outlets to giant bombs passionate podcast discussion and a long form video ridiculously encumbered (lol) by prerelease embargo restrictions.

I can easily see Alex giving this a 3 stars which is a perfectly fine score.

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Game not slashy slash or shooty bang bang means it's not fun.
Those are some enormously long blinders you have on.

What's up with some of you being so incapable of accepting people being critical of a game? Even in reviews that "praise" this game there is the common concern that the gameplay is boring and tedious, where beyond delivering packages, there is not much to do. This is such a common point of interest in a lot of the reviews.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
So did anyone catch in any of the reviews just how frequent the fucking baby wailing/shake controller to appease mechanic is? That seems absurdly obnoxious and I noticed it in several videos' gameplay footage earlier today when watching reviews. Is it like not only do you trip and bust your ass potentially damaging cargo but the baby starts screaming at you through the grating controller speaker every time?
Kinda funny has a round table where they said the baby only cried a handful of times but heard from someone else that they had issues. Seems to be triggered by falling.

Linkyn

Oct 27, 2017
Is that even true anymore? I feel like it was true four years ago; Walking Simulator definitely started off as a derogatory label, but I think it has more or less become essentially neutral. If it is still meant to be derogatory then it has most certainly lost all its impact. Also, there have been multiple games in the genre that have received praise. Not exactly a biting criticism, if you ask me.

This is probably off-topic, but to the best of my understanding, the idea is that the term 'walking simulator' is considered derogatory or pejorative because it's incredibly reductive. It's just a lazy way of talking about games with limited interactivity or that focus more on storytelling or exploration by insinuating that moving around is the only thing you do. In reality, the walking part of such games is often secondary to things like puzzle solving, interacting with and inspecting objects, reading in-game documents, etc. and just generally exploring the narrative.

The criticism here is then that Jeff is alluding to the fact that Kojima might have misinterpreted the one aspect of these games that people are most likely to criticise them for as their defining feature and something to emulate or build on, whereas you could argue that the walking in games like Gone Home or What Remains of Edith Finch is just an unfortunate or necessary byproduct of their developers trying to move players between the more important and engaging aspects of the game.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
That Kotaku review really drives it home that if you saw the launch trailer you basically ruin half the enjoyment of the game. Really shitty thing for them to do.
I'm so glad I didn't watch that thing then. Other people have mentioned how spoiler filled it is too. I wonder what the hell was going through the editors head.

White Glint

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the issue is that The Discourse is built out of these two dominant groups

-People who love gameplay stuff and want to play mostly DMC5, Doom, and Super Mario Odyssey and care a lot about how a game feels. They are going to vocally hate this game a lot.
-People who care a lot about the games as art stuff.

I think it's going to be hard for the second group to embrace Kojima more over time because he doesn't align politically or personally with them and instead we'll get more Twitter dunks on Kojima.

This kind of like the Star Wars prequels and David Cage games in that a natural audience for doing the "this is an unappreciated classic!" doesn't exist online.
I belong firmly in the first group and I think the game looks incredible. People are unwilling to think about how you're interacting with the game. A fantasy rpg is does not have good gameplay because you're hitting skeletons with an axe. It has good gameplay if the mechanics which you use to hit the skeleton with your axe are engaging and fun to you.

Death Stranding turns the act of hiking into a mechanics laden undertaking, so calling it light on gameplay or a "walking simulator" in its more derogatory sense is completely disingenuous. Very disappointed with Jeff Gerstmann here.

HeyNay

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere
There's no consensus.

The reviews are all over the place.

I love this.

To be honest, ever since this thread started, and I read some reviews I got really skeptical about the game. That it didn't sound fun to enjoy.. but I listened to like 5 minutes of this review...

Mod Edit: We do not provide a platform for SkillUp for their content here

and it reframed for game for me. It sounds like an extremely thoughtful game, with some very subjective flaws, that can be special if you allow it to be -- and if some of the things that other people hate don't quite bother you.

Last edited by a moderator: